PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a Laptop!

Jlude
11-30-2008, 06:41 PM
Gotta pick up a new laptop for the wife.
She wants a mac, but really she doesn't use it for anything other than shopping online and facebook.

Her reason for wanting a mac is because they're "cute".

So, I've been doing some searching and have found that dell no longer comes in one solid color.

Specs...
- must be under 1k
- must be all one color - preferably silver
- Glossy black would be her second choice for color.
- min size of 15.4" screen.
- the rest of the specs... I don't really care about.
- must be "cute"

Thanks in advance.

adam c
11-30-2008, 06:43 PM
when my friends ask me the same question, i always recommend them to get a toshiba

rock solid, never had issues with mine

jwslam
11-30-2008, 06:45 PM
if it wasn't for the 15.4 requirement
for her needs as you stated anything from the netbook category could do the job

other than those i can't really offer any advice because i have no eye for "cute"

Jlude
11-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by adam c
when my friends ask me the same question, i always recommend them to get a toshiba

I've had the same dell laptop for the past two years, it's still ticking. I was one click away from ordering her one from their website when I decided to ask her what color she wanted. Turns out, they don't offer one in the color she wants.

Originally posted by jwslam
if it wasn't for the 15.4 requirement
for her needs as you stated anything from the netbook category could do the job

other than those i can't really offer any advice because i have no eye for "cute"

Neither do I, I'm hoping someone will chime in with something.

Mac is obviously the trendy choice. But I wasn't sure if there was some brand out there, maybe new that was trendy as well.

adam c
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
i've had my toshiba since 2002
only reason i don't use it cause it was old

still works fine

jwslam
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

I've had the same dell laptop for the past two years, it's still ticking. I was one click away from ordering her one from their website when I decided to ask her what color she wanted. Turns out, they don't offer one in the color she wants.

i thought you can get the clip on faces for all dells?
otherwise... i guess you could... TEGO haha

umm... try the asus ones at memex :dunno:

adam c
11-30-2008, 06:53 PM
btw are u in town or cali?

if you get a dell and in town, pm me

5000Audi
11-30-2008, 06:58 PM
i got a Dell 1525... its pretty awsome... good and fast for internet browsing

Rocky
11-30-2008, 07:26 PM
They're overpriced, but I like Sony's computers. Friend bought this one on my recommendation and has been very happy. (Well not this one, the previous generation of it).

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/CategoryDisplays?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&categoryId=100520&navigationPath=n32009n100299

They're very nice aesthetically, and the internals are pretty good. I would say they're overpriced by $100 but that's just a typical Sony product. Other than that, you get what you need (3gb ram, big harddrive, etc), and the 14.1" screen is an excellent size which offers a little bit more portability but hardly any useability loss. (A lot of casual users will see a 14.1 and think it's a 15.4 until they're told otherwise or its put beside a real 15.4)

The pink is quite popular with girls who like the "cutesy" look, but you also have your choice of gloss black or white. The keyboard is identical to the Macbook style, another feature she might like.

Lastly that one can be built to order, with free engraving, on their website here (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=100051&storeId=20153&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665536199). A nice gift idea, though I don't know if you can guaranteed get it before Christmas at this point.

n1zm0
11-30-2008, 07:30 PM
lol shopping and facebook, definitely toshiba sattelite or something

SpoonEK9@STRD
11-30-2008, 07:31 PM
toshiba most reliable and they have local repair shops / warranty. They replaced my mother board in 1 day.

Iv had sony, asus, HP(worst ever), recently. I returned my HP to repairs like 4 - 5 times. I cant stand sonys.

Another I would recommend, is getting an APPLE...run windows w/ boot camp.

toyboy88
11-30-2008, 07:41 PM
If she wants a Mac, but for under $1000.

Apple has the previous generation refurb Macbooks (2.4ghz/Core 2 Duo/160GB HD/Superdrive) for $1049 right now with free shipping. All "one color" - white, and full 1-year warrenty?

Not sure if they still have any in-stock at the Apple store in Market, but ~3 weeks ago they had previous gen Macbooks (brand new) going for $899 (IIRC the 2.0 ghz ones).

:dunno:

Jlude
11-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
They're overpriced, but I like Sony's computers. Friend bought this one on my recommendation and has been very happy. (Well not this one, the previous generation of it).

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/CategoryDisplays?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&categoryId=100520&navigationPath=n32009n100299

They're very nice aesthetically, and the internals are pretty good. I would say they're overpriced by $100 but that's just a typical Sony product. Other than that, you get what you need (3gb ram, big harddrive, etc), and the 14.1" screen is an excellent size which offers a little bit more portability but hardly any useability loss. (A lot of casual users will see a 14.1 and think it's a 15.4 until they're told otherwise or its put beside a real 15.4)

The pink is quite popular with girls who like the "cutesy" look, but you also have your choice of gloss black or white. The keyboard is identical to the Macbook style, another feature she might like.

Lastly that one can be built to order, with free engraving, on their website here (http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SYCTOProcess?catalogId=100051&storeId=20153&langId=-1&LBomId=8198552921665536199). A nice gift idea, though I don't know if you can guaranteed get it before Christmas at this point.

THAT'S IT!

Thanks bud, I guess I never checked sony's site... It's exactly what I'm looking to get her.

Those sony bastards, don't give free shipping. It's gonna come to just over 1k.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

msommers
11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
A friend of mine at school has almost the same laptop I do (HP pavilion) but it has a flowery/girly design on the lid and the casing around the keyboard. She told me she got it because "it's pretty." I've had my HP for awhile now and had no problems, neither has she.

FreakinPrince
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
why don't you check you the dell site

mini 12 or mini 9

look at the both spec

its really super small and i think its really neat to get it if you rarely using it much!!

check it out

just a suggestion

and its CUTE lol

bubbley
12-01-2008, 11:14 AM

Really? Ive had to replace 3 toshiba laptops..all of the pins on the charger screwed up! HP's on the other hand are amazing!

adam c
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by bubbley

Really? Ive had to replace 3 toshiba laptops..all of the pins on the charger screwed up! HP's on the other hand are amazing!

really? wow, everyone i know that has a toshiba swears by them

Jlude
12-01-2008, 11:31 AM

really? wow, everyone i know that has a toshiba swears by them

I'm sure every brand has it's lemons.

I've had the same dell for a long time now, not one issue.

adam c
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
you never did answer my question above

Jlude
12-01-2008, 11:57 AM
you never did answer my question above

where I am?

I'm in the maritimes.