PDA

View Full Version : help with shortshifter

CMW403
11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
I own a 99 honda prelude and i want a short shift kit. i know nothing about them and need someone to point me towards one that fits my car and is relatively easy to install.

any ideas?

94boosted
12-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Most short shifters are quite simple to install with basic tools. Check google or ebay I'm sure you'll find tones of different short shifters for your car.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-01-2008, 07:49 AM
I wouldn't pick up an ebay one. I would probably talk to STRD about getting one, as not only will they have a selection, and probably a good recommendation, but if your not mechanically inclined, they can install if for you as well.

I had one on my civic, and I loved it, after a while I got so used to it, it felt like the shifts were massive, then I would have a friend drive, and be like "holy shit man, your shifts are tiny!"

They just tend to mess with your transmission if not done properly, and add more wear to it. I would definitely recommend replacing the bushings while your under there.

CMW403
12-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I wouldn't pick up an ebay one. I would probably talk to STRD about getting one, as not only will they have a selection, and probably a good recommendation, but if your not mechanically inclined, they can install if for you as well.

I had one on my civic, and I loved it, after a while I got so used to it, it felt like the shifts were massive, then I would have a friend drive, and be like "holy shit man, your shifts are tiny!"

They just tend to mess with your transmission if not done properly, and add more wear to it. I would definitely recommend replacing the bushings while your under there.

alright thanks for the input

"STRD" is his username?

ercchry
12-01-2008, 10:48 AM
STRD= speed tech

Lovitt
12-01-2008, 11:22 AM
Short shifters are nice, but they are hard on the syncros in your tranny.
Personally I'll never put one in my car again, it costs too much for tranny repairs...
And watch the ebay kits, they'll sometimes send the wrong one but it'll be one that will still work (civic-integra for one)
Thats just my .02 cents though...

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

alright thanks for the input

"STRD" is his username?

The shop, Speedtech

CMW403
12-01-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by Lovitt Short shifters are nice, but they are hard on the syncros in your tranny. Personally I'll never put one in my car again, it costs too much for tranny repairs..._ And watch the ebay kits, they'll sometimes send the wrong one but it'll be one that will still work (civic-integra for one) Thats just my .02 cents though...

do they actually do significant damage to your transmission? i mean like how do you know that your shortshifter was the cause of the tranny repairs?

anyone else think they are a bad idea?

CausalInfluence
12-02-2008, 03:57 PM
Speedtech is a huge fucking rip off. Dont bother with them. An ebay short shifter doesnt mean you buy no name, Look for a quality SS like fidanza or I believe weapon r makes one. Google that shit.

A short shifter doesnt affect your tranny, it merely makes the throw distance shorter.

A piece of shit shortshifter can cause wear on the shift mechanism it self, Not so much the tranny. its all in how you install/ how you use it.

92gsr
12-03-2008, 02:49 PM
They only damage the transmission if you shift faster than your foot can press the clutch. Your car is different because it is cable shifted. You don't actually get a short shifter it is just a little bracket that goes in the shifter box.

Lovitt
12-03-2008, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by CMW403

do they actually do significant damage to your transmission? i mean like how do you know that your shortshifter was the cause of the tranny repairs?

anyone else think they are a bad idea?

They definately won't tear your tranny apart right away, but they do damage over a period of time. Think about why you are putting it in... to shift quicker. Because of this parts wear quicker. I know it was the short shifter cause I usually had my tranny apart once or twice a year to check it over as I was racing the car often. Without the shifter I never had many problems, put the shifter in and I had problems reasonably quickly(keep in mind I raced the car at the track and was pushing it) Replaced/fixed the parts and took the shifter out, didn't have the problem again.
Thats just my experience with them, but I know alot of people who had the same problems while having a short shifter.
I'm just letting you know my experiences with them, yours could be alot different.

vtec
12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Your going to have to do more research, try more on a prelude based forum like, preludepower.com

For one, the prelude uses cable shifting, not linkage like
the b-series transmission.

DC made an adapter that you can use to shorten the throw
of the shift.

The 2 most talked about short shifters for the prelude
is the Forbidden and PSPEC.

Forbidden is on its first model for the 5th gen lude.
PSPEC has come out with a new model. THis will be there
second one.

Search those topics and you should gather up enough information.

THE GOVERNATOR
12-21-2008, 01:32 PM
i just did a serch and sadly B&M does not make a sts (short throw shifter) for your 99 prelude.