PDA

View Full Version : bicycle hits car

bclab5
11-30-2008, 11:02 PM
So, what happens when a bike hits a car? I drive a van. I had stopped at the stop sign and need to make a right turn, realized I couldn't see on coming traffice and was inching up (when I started moving the area that I could see was clear) looking left into traffic and then I have a teen pressed up against my van in line with my front wheel. He was riding against traffic I think on the sidewalk but... any police took my info, talked to the kid and told me to leave. No ticket, no contact, now the insurance is contacting saying they have a claim. I'm a little freaked out, I didn't think I was at fault.

JRSC00LUDE
12-01-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi Slink.

Senseiz
12-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Was his bike on the road or sidewalk?

If on the road, he is treated as a vehicle.

If he is on a sidewalk, theoretically, he should have gotten off and push it across the cross walk.

max_boost
12-01-2008, 02:47 AM
I've had this happen a couple times. In Toronto, I was making a right turn at an intersection and a cyclist actually rode right into the passenger side rear 1/4. He hit the car and then fell over. LOL I heard a bump and saw him on the ground. Not sure how the hell it was my fault so I just drove off.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Second time I was about to make a left turn and I was approaching the intersection when a cyclist flies out of nowhere jumping onto the crosswalk, riding his way through. I slammed on my brakes and was a fair distance away from the cyclist, only to realize it was my fucking cousin on his way to work I almost hit.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Anyway, I don't think you need to be freaked out. Talk to your insurance company and explain things. I don't see how it's your fault when you got hit.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
I hate bikes. It bikes are ridden on roads, rider should have insurance.

A790
12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I hate bikes. It bikes are ridden on roads, rider should have insurance.
I really hate how a lot of cyclists have that "higher than thou" attitude.

I was on my motorcycle stopped at an intersection when a cyclist came and rode right through the red light. When it went green I passed him and turned right, and he actually followed me to yell at me for "riding like a jackass and cutting him off". I couldn't believe it!

khtm
12-01-2008, 11:16 AM
^ I agree 100%. And they're even worse at 4-way stops.

phrozen
12-01-2008, 11:26 AM
And then there are the ones who listen to their mp3 players,
and its as though they are the only ones in the world, and they never stop.

Eleanor
12-01-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Hi Slink.
:rofl:

Canmorite
12-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by khtm
^ I agree 100%. And they're even worse at 4-way stops.

Agreed, but look at it this way. Although I agree it is less safe, it takes a whole lot more effort to start again and build up speed on a bike, then in a car. When on my bike downtown I rarely come to a full stop just to keep momentum.

GQBalla
12-01-2008, 01:13 PM
your one of them ^^^ but yeah true fact

Brap_Brap
12-01-2008, 08:01 PM
I did the exact same thing. Now there is a hole in my front bumper.

10secondpaki
12-01-2008, 08:13 PM
bikers in downtown calgary are retards...

they demand the same rights as cars, but dont stop at red lights???

i could sit and record all these retards all day, showing how dumb they are.

My favorites is when they sneak up between car and curb.

Get the hell on the side walk. or if you want stay on the road be safe, dont they understand that a 5000 pound car can hurt them???

sr20s14zenki
12-01-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 10secondpaki
bikers in downtown calgary are retards...

they demand the same rights as cars, but dont stop at red lights???

i could sit and record all these retards all day, showing how dumb they are.

My favorites is when they sneak up between car and curb.

Get the hell on the side walk. or if you want stay on the road be safe, dont they understand that a 5000 pound car can hurt them???

That seems to be a good time to find a reason to open your door (= when they pull the sneaky curb move.

Supa Dexta
12-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by bclab5
So, what happens when a bike hits a car? I drive a van. I had stopped at the stop sign and need to make a right turn, realized I couldn't see on coming traffice and was inching up (when I started moving the area that I could see was clear) looking left into traffic and then I have a teen pressed up against my van in line with my front wheel. He was riding against traffic I think on the sidewalk but... any police took my info, talked to the kid and told me to leave. No ticket, no contact, now the insurance is contacting saying they have a claim. I'm a little freaked out, I didn't think I was at fault.

Cops been buggin' you lately?

bclab5
12-02-2008, 03:02 AM
Cops, no. Did not get anything from them. But then out of the blue, a month later, insurance company is phoning, wanting me to come see them. Want a look at my van. So, as I said, now I'm a little worried. If I was at fault, I thought I would have been ticketed with something.:dunno: :banghead: :barf: