PDA

View Full Version : $30/year levy on cars registered in Calgary

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
http://www.metronews.ca/calgary/Local/article/148528

malcolmk14
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm fine with it if it means improved infrastructure. But it probably won't.

GQBalla
12-01-2008, 09:21 AM
damnit even more shit to pay

adam c
12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
whatever, soon enough people won't live here anymore and maybe the city will get a fucking clue

Melinda
12-01-2008, 09:23 AM
Meh, driving is a privilege, not a right :dunno: It's still a lot cheaper to drive here than it is in most of Europe.

Tik-Tok
12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
How about a $30 annual drivers license fee instead? Seeing as how I can drive all 4 of my vehicles at once.

lint
12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
“But I’d encourage people to keep an open mind ... If it means we can off-load costs to users directly, it’s probably a good time to do it.”

What costs does the city currently bear for users? Does the city currently subsidize vehicle ownership somehow?

Crymson
12-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Yeah -- i'm find with fee's for service. But it seems that the city is only ADDING fees for those who use services, and not actually discounting those who do not.

I'm excited to see how ridiculous the buses are after they add the 3$ a day park and ride fees, because you can ge damned sure that they're not planning on adding any additional busses to the bus routes.

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
How about a $30 annual drivers license fee instead? Seeing as how I can drive all 4 of my vehicles at once.

You think they in it to save you money? :D

Actually, I preferred toll road, say the ring road. Or a downtown toll where if you drive through the core during rush hour, you must pay?

tsi_neal
12-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Ill be sure to vote against bronco at the next civic election... Hes been in there too long and making to many poor decisions this time around.

urban.one
12-01-2008, 09:47 AM
I cant disagree with this point. But does that make a new tax OK?

Originally posted by Melinda
Meh, driving is a privilege, not a right :dunno:

I cant disagree with this point either. But is that a reason to increase taxes by implementing a cash grab.

It's still a lot cheaper to drive here than it is in most of Europe.

This board is full of complaints about speeding tickets being a cash grab and revenue generator. This tax would be no different.

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by tsi_neal
Ill be sure to vote against bronco at the next civic election... Hes been in there too long and making to many poor decisions this time around.

People voted him because he said he'll spend to fix our problems.

Well, everyone who voted for Bronco should have pay for all the increases now.

Melinda
12-01-2008, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by urban.one

This board is full of complaints about speeding tickets being a cash grab and revenue generator. This tax would be no different.
What exactly do you propose as an alternative to punishing people for speeding? Or perhaps everyone should just be able to pick their own driving speeds? :dunno:

Seriously, people need to stop bitching and complaining so much, it makes life a whole lot less stressful instead of getting their panties in a bunch every time some new change happens. Inflation sucks, the city's need for money sucks, but it's a part of life, especially when everyone is complaining about our lack of infrastructure.

revelations
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
Would you guys rather have a local consumption tax on gas like they do in hongcouver?

eg. 1-2c a litre extra?

benyl
12-01-2008, 10:01 AM
They should implement it based on a 100 km radius of Calgary.

What about all the commuters from Cochrane, Bearspaw, Airdrie, Okotoks, High River, Canmore Etc.

Many of those people use city services.

Toll road = answer.
I would happily pay to use roads that are well designed and promote the flow of traffic.

As it sits, the City of Calgary engineers make it really hard to justify their salaries.

Crowchild, Westhills, Beacon Hill (only 1 road in and out????) are just some recent examples of poor planning and then updating.

adam c
12-01-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Actually, I preferred toll road, say the ring road. Or a downtown toll where if you drive through the core during rush hour, you must pay?

are you tired this morning? that's insane! a toll booth in DT during rush hour..

lint
12-01-2008, 10:17 AM

What exactly do you propose as an alternative to punishing people for speeding? Or perhaps everyone should just be able to pick their own driving speeds? :dunno:

Seriously, people need to stop bitching and complaining so much, it makes life a whole lot less stressful instead of getting their panties in a bunch every time some new change happens. Inflation sucks, the city's need for money sucks, but it's a part of life, especially when everyone is complaining about our lack of infrastructure.

So you're ok with paying taxes that fund infrastructure and then getting hit up with user fees to use that infrastructure? You don't see a double taxation problem here?

I'd like to see them for fiscally responsible with the money they've collected before handing over more cash.

Melinda
12-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by lint

So you're ok with paying taxes that fund infrastructure and then getting hit up with user fees to use that infrastructure? You don't see a double taxation problem here?

I'd like to see them for fiscally responsible with the money they've collected before handing over more cash.
People listen to the media far too much these days. They do a fantastic job at constantly painting the government as some sort of evil force that really just wants to steal all of the tax payer's money, focusing only on the bad and never on the good. $30 a year is hardly anything, $2.50 a month. I'm willing to wager the other suggestion (a toll booth), even on one road in our city, would cost the average driver a hell of a lot more than that.

adam c
12-01-2008, 10:41 AM
i think it should be taxed on the amount of km you drive in a year

clem24
12-01-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by adam c

Um, so we should punish people for going on road trips? Ya ok.

Anyways, according to that article, it'll bring in $25M... Correct me if I am wrong, but that amounts to 833,333 registered vehicles in Calgary?? That's a helluva lot of cars considering we've only broken 1M not too long ago.

And hey.. Whatever. $30 isn't going to kill me. As long as that money is being put to good use. Sure as hell beats a toll charge for entering the core a la London.

prae
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
maybe this will have people thinking twice about registering that fifth car they plan on parking on the street. it is getting out of control

Eleanor
12-01-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
What about households that have 4 drivers but only one or two vehicles?

mac_82
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
$30 per vehicle is nothing.

The most worrisome thing in that article is the potential Land Transfer Tax. This is how the tax works in Toronto:

Up to $55,000 x .5% of total property value
From $55,000 to $250,000 x 1% of total property value
From $250,000 to $400,000 x 1.5% of total property value
From $400,000 and up x 2% of total property value

So if you are buying a $400 000 single family home, be ready to shell out an extra $8 000 in taxes.

:thumbsdow :thumbsdow

benyl
12-01-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Anyways, according to that article, it'll bring in $25M... Correct me if I am wrong, but that amounts to 833,333 registered vehicles in Calgary?? That's a helluva lot of cars considering we've only broken 1M not too long ago.

You are forgetting commercial vehicles.

adam c
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by clem24

Um, so we should punish people for going on road trips? Ya ok.

your 2000km road trip doesn't even put a dent in the 2000+km that taxis and other service vehicles put on in a week

so yea

Thomas Gabriel
12-01-2008, 10:51 AM
Meh, driving is a privilege, not a right :dunno: It's still a lot cheaper to drive here than it is in most of Europe.

We need to increase driving fees to match the Europeans' asap. An 80% income tax rate would be a good idea too. Don't stress guys! It's just money.

Melinda
12-01-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel

We need to increase driving fees to match the Europeans' asap. An 80% income tax rate would be a good idea too. Don't stress guys! It's just money.
:rolleyes: Yeah, cause that was my point entirely. You win! :banghead:

Toma
12-01-2008, 11:05 AM
Fuck that....

Driving is a RIGHT..... since as Canadian, WE OWN the infrastructure.

lint
12-01-2008, 11:15 AM

People listen to the media far too much these days. They do a fantastic job at constantly painting the government as some sort of evil force that really just wants to steal all of the tax payer's money, focusing only on the bad and never on the good. $30 a year is hardly anything, $2.50 a month. I'm willing to wager the other suggestion (a toll booth), even on one road in our city, would cost the average driver a hell of a lot more than that.

Add in garbage fees, recycling fees, increased fees for bus passes, park and ride fees. Why stop there? How about user fees for Edworthy and Bowness park? Bicycle registration for riding city pathways into downtown. Skating at olympic plaza. These are all things that our tax dollars go towards. Where's the good here? They propose a user fee for vehicles, but don't put out a plan on where that money is going?

Artega
12-01-2008, 11:39 AM

We do have that.......it's called a gasoline tax.:facepalm:

510-Trevor
12-01-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Artega

We do have that.......it's called a gasoline tax.:facepalm:
Really, when did we get a municiple gas tax added to our gas??

semograd
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM

in london england you have to pay a toll just to get into the downtown. It promotes a better downtown environment. However, In calgary lots of people have to go through the downtown to get home. there is no existing infrastructure to easily bypass the downtown.

I agree to toll the ring road, but tolling the downtown at this point is retarded.

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 12:45 PM

are you tired this morning? that's insane! a toll booth in DT during rush hour..

It would be a camera based system. Taking pictures on most roads coming into DT. Bill will be sent based on plate #.

That way, everyone with an Alberta plate come into the core pays. bwahahahaha.

Originally posted by semograd
I agree to toll the ring road, but tolling the downtown at this point is retarded.

I know but we are talking about money grab here. And if we do charge for core, the traffic will probably be pushed outward to 11-17th Ave, Memorial, 14th St and Deerfoot.

In the grand scheme of things, $30/year/car isn't much. But it just seems like we are being nickeled and dimed every time we read the news these days.

Canmorite
12-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Hopefully that money doesn't go into hiring more meter maids.

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Hopefully that money doesn't go into hiring more meter maids.

This I don't get. Did we upgraded to all the fancy Park Plus system just so we can have fewer meter maids by having the patrol camera vehicles?

Why do I see more meter maids than ever?

Canmorite
12-01-2008, 01:01 PM

This I don't get. Did we upgraded to all the fancy Park Plus system just so we can have fewer meter maids by having the patrol camera vehicles?

Why do I see more meter maids than ever?

Less maintenance required on a Park Plus electronic system, say one per block, then one meter per stall. This will take away from the maintenance personnel, but other then that areas will still need enforcement.

Theres more meter maids because it's likely a great source of revenue. It'd be interesting to see how much they grab in a year after expenses.

semograd
12-01-2008, 01:07 PM

I know but we are talking about money grab here. And if we do charge for core, the traffic will probably be pushed outward to 11-17th Ave, Memorial, 14th St and Deerfoot.

Exactly. and all those other roads were never designed to handle the loads they have now, never mind adding the cars that would not want to pay for downtown toll. That is why you can only toll roads and areas that can otherwise be bypassed by roads that were intended to handle around the same amount of volume. otherwise you would have an even bigger shit show than 11-17th Ave, Memorial, 14th St and Deerfoot already are.

Imagine taking all the volume on those roads during rush hour and then doubling it because people don't want (or cant afford) to pay a toll to get through downtown. That would blow! Now if memorial was as big as deerfoot and 11th as big as memorial, then I wouldn't see a problem in tolling the downtown.

On the other hand the ring road has never existed before and all the roads that currently handle the traffic that it will soon share ARE overburdened, but not so much that a toll on the ring road would mess shit up everywhere else.

when you open a brand new road and decide to toll it, people can manage because they are already used to the shit show that happens and the toll road seems like such a new fancy privilege. But if you decide to toll an existing road without opening up a new road to compensate then problems will be had.

KleanCord
12-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Sure why not.

It would be great. Good old Dave can use this money to pay for our $50 million dollar foot bridges. I for one like art and public displays but that can be done for a fraction of that price. Or our C-Train platforms made entirely from concrete that are quoted at $15 million.

What else can Dave spend our money on? How about that never going to happen ring road they talk about.

As for the toll roads, why not? People can claim it is not right to toll an existing road, but Dave didn't seem to think it was a problem to toll existing parking lots to take public transport.

Here's a novel idea. Maybe instead of complaining about his lack of funding he should start spending money with some accountability. Enough over runs and wasted money. He should have a more than acceptable operating budget. Use it.

Did anyone see the posted savings from the last budget meeting?

Save $900,000 per year by cutting back 9 transit cops.
- Do salary and training of a transit cop amount to $100,000

Save $600,000 per year by cutting back 4 parks maintenance employees.
- Are landscapers now making $150,000 a year?

Save $500,000 per year by cutting back 4 water works employees?
- again $125,000 per employee?

I am sick of being told that I should stop complaining because other places are more expensive. I am not living there and I certainly did not just experience tax hike after tax hike before this clown was in office.

Besides we should all know this by now. This budget is just a Pollock painting. These clueless people in office (not all, but a lot) have just about as little knowledge on how much they will actually spend over the next three years as a common person. They just throw numbers out there. Cry for more money and then see what sticks.

tsi_neal
12-01-2008, 08:46 PM
^ agreed... Ive put up with enough shit like this recently and then with some not so candid comments bronco made about race city he cant get out of his comfortable office soon enough

chkolny541
12-01-2008, 08:53 PM
• $93 million, land transfer tax
• $157 million, local general sales tax
• $18.4 million, local accommodation tax
• $3 million, amusement tax
• $25 million, personal vehicle ownership levy

amusement tax? :dunno:

Redlyne_mr2
12-01-2008, 08:58 PM
As mentioned above if the city were more responsible with how money is spent I would be fine with this tax but Im sick of seeing them piss away money on useless things rather then dealing with necessary repairs and changes that our street system requires.

rc2002
12-01-2008, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by benyl
As it sits, the City of Calgary engineers make it really hard to justify their salaries.

Seems that only the sub-average ones are left as the City fights to keep employees. I think that's the most logical explanation.

Obviously the city is not concerned about budgets if they spend money on useless things like trees on memorial drive and fish on overpasses. They can only keep on doing that for so long before they have to raise more money.

The poorly designed interchanges are a joke too. The tops of the nosehill/crowchild and elbow/glenmore interchanges get jammed and have longer waits than before they were built.

4DoorGTZ
12-01-2008, 10:50 PM
I am all for toll roads.... leading into the city from bedroom communities. If that means I have to pay $1.50 to return home from a weekend camping, great. As long as the 25000 ppl from outside Calgary have to pay it everyday. Whats the big deal, they got cheaper houses, lower taxes, they can afford it? Cant afford it? Move to the city and start contributing to the place that is your livelyhood or find a job in your own community.

:guns:

luxor
12-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Why can't they implement this tax for those people who drive pick-up trucks and full-size SUVs only, that would be a tax i'm in full support for. Other than work trucks, the rest of these people who drive around in these huge ass pick-ups and SUVs are nothing more than compensating for something. Stupid if you ask me. You don't see nearly as many trucks in Vancouver as compared to here. I'm willing to bet as much as 3/4-or more of these trucks you see in Calgary aren't being used as a work truck. Is this some kind of cool (incest attitude) thing that I've been missing out a for a few years now?

:dunno:

/////AMG
12-02-2008, 06:28 AM
$30, thats it? You do all know that one day there will be some kind of car/driving fee, it's bound to happen as the city grows.
Be happy its so low!

We have to pay about £200/yr ($400) for road tax, and thats not including an MOT (annual test on your car to make sure it's safe and road worthy. This only applies to car over 3 years old) which costs a minimum of £40 ($80).

Thats why you never see rust buckets over here... ever!

And they've just changed the road tax pricing on how much CO2 your car emits. So it will now be anywhere from £200-£400 ($800). :banghead:

KleanCord
12-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by /////AMG
$30, thats it? You do all know that one day there will be some kind of car/driving fee, it's bound to happen as the city grows.
Be happy its so low!

We have to pay about £200/yr ($400) for road tax, and thats not including an MOT (annual test on your car to make sure it's safe and road worthy. This only applies to car over 3 years old) which costs a minimum of £40 ($80).

Thats why you never see rust buckets over here... ever!

And they've just changed the road tax pricing on how much CO2 your car emits. So it will now be anywhere from £200-£400 ($800). :banghead:

This is why I don't live in England. I also heard that your VAT was just being lowered for the first time to 12.5%? Is that true that you actually had a sales tax of 15% on everything? Or are there some things that are excluded on the tax and then non necessities like clothes and electronics are taxed?

/////AMG
12-02-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by KleanCord
This is why I don't live in England. I also heard that your VAT was just being lowered for the first time to 12.5%? Is that true that you actually had a sales tax of 15% on everything? Or are there some things that are excluded on the tax and then non necessities like clothes and electronics are taxed?

lol is that the only reason why you don't want to live here? Don't worry I wouldn't want to either, Canada is WAY better overall.

VAT used to be 17.5%, they dropped down to 15% 2 days ago until 2010 to get people to start spending again.
The only good thing about VAT is that it's already added onto the price, no adding on top of the advertised price like GST.

VAT is for everything