PDA

View Full Version : 'Revolution, food riots in America by 2012'

SilverRex
12-01-2008, 09:27 AM
http://www.commodityonline.com/ndtv/news/topstorydetails.php?id=13062

what does everyone think?

will this financial mess simply just the tip of the iceberg? or the potential for much worse is just over blown and 5-10 years from now we are sitting pretty once again?

Mind you the date 2012 looks awfully familiar. Perhaps 2012 isnt some natural disaster as some may have predicted but rather a reset to order of things or way of life and who knows what america will look like by 2012 if not the world.

I can only imagine either way the devauluation of the US dollar will hold true, it will only mean gold only has no way to go by up from an investment point of view. but what good is wealth when we cant eve protect it. Increase in crime rate is what scares me more. Daily break in occurances? all food cleaned off in store shelfs?

How in the world would one perpare for something like this?

Kloubek
12-01-2008, 09:30 AM
He supposedly predicted a lot of major events, but honestly - I just can't see this happening. Sounds like fearmongering to me.

Keep in mind that 2012 is supposed to be a global "End of Days"... not just America.

A790
12-01-2008, 09:46 AM
Here we go again. If shit happens get yourself a gun.

Legless_Marine2
12-01-2008, 03:29 PM
His "credentials" sound like they come from some kind of PR machine, and seems to omit any mention of incorrect predicitions.

That being said, Celente's predictions come as no surprise to me, although he risks his credibility by putting dates on things.

Three words sum it all up "Limits to growth".

CubicleGeek
12-01-2008, 05:37 PM
This fits in well with the counter measures I put in place for the return of Planet X and the zombie invasion scheduled around that time.

chkolny541
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
^^ agreed, you and me alike

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 05:48 PM
If we survive 2012......

http://www.impawards.com/1985/posters/mad_max_beyond_thunderdome_ver1.jpg

But really. We have more and more people but farmable land mass and water sources are shrinking. We have already seen food crisis this year and we are paying almost 50% for rice and wheat compare to last year.

Food is inevitably cost more and more.

10secondpaki
12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
2012? ?

its already happening.... in the USA.

Well in Calgary I can say this.

Last year all those idiots camped outside for the last iphone and video come console..

Now they are camping outside at the food banks..

waste of money, buying a 500 dollar iphone, this is whats wrong with economy. wasting money. 500 dollars can be used towards a mortgage or rent payment...

Xtrema
12-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by 10secondpaki
Last year all those idiots camped outside for the last iphone and video come console..

If I see someone lining up at food bank with an iphone, I would not give them any food and let them die.

Antonito
12-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I think (North) America has too far to fall, and that before it got to the point of riots and shit, changes would be made.

People resist change, but when gas got up to $4 a gallon, SUV sales and total gas consumption did indeed decrease an appreciable amount.

If you look around at everyday life, there are so many ways to save money, food, and water. People will of course resist these changes, but if the choice is between becoming Mad Max and having to live a much scaled back life, I'm guessing people will make the change. Even if they will be kicking and screaming the whole way :D

Also, the American dollar may devalue drastically, or maybe not. At the end of the day, it's still relative to the rest of the global economy. People keep asking why America isn't worthless yet, and it's mostly because Asia and Europe are having similar problems.

broken_legs
12-01-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

If I see someone lining up at food bank with an iphone, I would not give them any food and let them die. :rofl:

BerserkerCatSplat
12-01-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

If you look around at everyday life, there are so many ways to save money, food, and water. People will of course resist these changes, but if the choice is between becoming Mad Max and having to live a much scaled back life, I'm guessing people will make the change.

I dunno about that, I've always kinda wanted a supercharged Falcon. ;)

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 10:25 PM
What, do you think we live in olde Russia?

97'Scort
12-02-2008, 12:06 AM
You say you want a revolution...

Subwoofah
12-02-2008, 12:14 AM
i wonder if the stock markets will panic come 2012

Supa Dexta
12-02-2008, 01:05 AM
I'm expanding the farm this year.. I'll be ok... :thumbsup:

Legless_Marine2
12-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
I'm expanding the farm this year.. I'll be ok... :thumbsup:

I've got to get myself one of those.

How many acres you got? What area?

What are you growing?

Super_Geo
12-03-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by 10secondpaki
Well in Calgary I can say this.

waste of money, buying a 500 dollar iphone, this is whats wrong with economy. wasting money. 500 dollars can be used towards a mortgage or rent payment...

Wtf... that's not even close to being a typo. And your point is equally retarded, people who camped out for PS3s and iPhones are now lining up at the food bank? Were you dropped on your head as a kid?

7thgenvic
12-03-2008, 11:19 AM
hahaha. I love reading these threads.

ianmcc
12-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Remember "The Running Man"?
-I said the crowd is unarmed! There are lots of women and children down there! All they want is food for gods sake!
-As you were Richards. Proceed with plan Alpha. All rioters must be eliminated.
-The hell with you I will not fire on helpless people! Abort mission. We return back to base.

Fear mongering at it's worst. :nut:
How the hell do you become an undeveloped nation if you are already developed? After I read that I laughed at the rest.
If food riots mean I get to watch "The Running Man" for real on Fox or HBO I'm all for it!!!
:nut:

Legless_Marine2
12-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by ianmcc

How the hell do you become an undeveloped nation if you are already developed?

Incrementally.

Look to the states to see a showcase of this process.

TKRIS
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Hysteria and Bullshit.

Except the part about the Zombiepocalypse, but, thanks to Norman Borlaug and Samuel Colt, I think I've got my bases covered.

Fivewayradio
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
America is likely to become a welfare state long before any of this fear-mongering bullshit happens. We're already witnessing the largest corporate welfare distribution in history and it's unlikely to end any time soon, as the dominoes continue to topple. Government will own huge stakes in corporate america and will eventually be unable to extricate itself due to the significance of it's investment. They'll call it something other than 'welfare state'-- in the same way that a war in Iraq was justified as a means to ending a problem that was generated in an entirely different country.

googe
12-03-2008, 02:07 PM
Some rational thinking instead:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/fox_news_obama_gloom

Xtrema
12-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by googe
Some rational thinking instead:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/fox_news_obama_gloom

I knew it's fishy as soon as the article mention Fox News.

/////AMG
12-03-2008, 02:51 PM
I want to see how many of these predictions this guy made that didn't actually happen

zain123
12-03-2008, 02:54 PM
gotta love the beyond 'economist' community lol
half of you actually know what you're talking about but other.. :dunno:

Legless_Marine2
12-03-2008, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Fivewayradio
America is likely to become a welfare state

Isn't it already?

Originally posted by Fivewayradio
long before any of this fear-mongering bullshit happens. [/B]

I don't understand the differentiation. It's all part of the same process...

The Cosworth
12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
shouldn't it be revelation in the title?

Why would a revolution cause food riots.

haha I love what someone posted:

Of course, that's not all Celente has predicted. I looked at some forecasts Celente made roughly ten years ago in his book, 'Trends 2000: How to Prepare for and Profit from the Changes of the 21st Century,' excerpted by Psychology Today in February 1997. Here are some of the lowlights.

Voluntary simplicity, once merely a counterculture ideal, will finally become a reality in the twenty-first century. ....Moderation, self-discipline, and spiritual growth will be the personal goals of the future, not material accumulation.

Such a stunningly accurate description of the Bush years.... NOT. Apparently Celente missed the boom in SUV sales (at least until gas hit $4 a gallon). The good news: He's got another 92 years for this one to come true.

The trend to convert lawns into gardens will have a significant impact not only on the way we eat but also on how we live and feel. ....Billions of dollars formerly spent on lawn care will either be saved or re-deployed into producing fresh food.

I was just thinking that as I waded through the succotash on my front lawn.... Just kidding. Do you know anyone who's farming on their front lawn? Home lawn care products and services have grown (ahem) at a steady rate throughout this decade.

Instead of being banished to nursing homes or retirement communities, large numbers of retirees... will move in with their adult children.

The US nursing home population actually increased by about 70,000 from 2001 to 2007, according to a survey by UCSF.

The videophone, meanwhile, will keep us in touch with faraway relatives. ...long-distance communication will be more like television.

I love this prediction. People have been making it since, what, the 1950's? Eventually it has to come true.

Other Celente predictions:

The public is going to demand that the government break up powerful corporate monopolies.
The return of individuality will spell an end to the multibillion-dollar fashion industry
Painting and sculpture will be revolutionized by the incorporation of virtual reality and computer technology
The macarena was only the beginning. Look for Americans to embrace Latin culture--particularly its music--on a wide scale.
Whatever happened to Ricky Martin? I miss Living La Vida Loca.

Here's what Celente missed: The Internet. Blogs. Online video. Digital music. The explosion in mobile communications. Social networks. The complete upheaval in the entertainment and information industries caused by all of the above. And, oh yeah, the first African-American president of the United States. That's the short list.

Celente isn't a seer. He just looks at current trends and extrapolates. That means, of course, he's totally blind to anything that doesn't yet show up on a data curve.

Any fool can do this, even me. But instead of reading the papers and poring over data, I used a Magic 8 Ball (the online version). Here's what it had to say:

* Food riots: Maybe

* Tent cities: Definitely

* Tax revolts: No way!

* The end of Christmas: Absolutely

* President Sarah Palin: Ask again later

(Celente didn't actually predict that last one, but I figured since we're trying to scare people, it was worth a try.)

The problem with making dire predictions like this is that modern economics is really an enormous confidence game. Like voodoo, it only works if you believe in it. You want to create a run on the banks? Tell people there's a run on the banks. So Celente isn't helping anybody except the folks who want to see the world collapse in the next four years, for entirely self-serving reasons.

Told you not to look.

Legless_Marine2
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
shouldn't it be revelation in the title?

Why would a revolution cause food riots.

It seems unsurprising to me that the two would be closely associated.

haha I love what someone posted:
<SNIP>

Nice catch, Cosworth. It's nice to see a counterpoint to the uncritical praise of Celente's PR machine.

That being said, I don't think all of the prediction's he's listed are necessarily wrong - Some may be off on timing. The "Erlich" effect, if you will.

In particular, I'm thinking of his reference to front lawn gardening.

Urban gardening is alive, and growing fast. Last spring was a record year for seed sellers, primarily due to the explosion among the urban gardening community. Next is expected to be even greater.

A fellow on my own street has torn out his front lawn, and replaced it with garden beds. He grew so many veggies last summer, that he shared with several of his neighbors, some of whom are now working with him on collaborative gardening projects for next spring.

It's there, and it's growing - Perhaps not as soon as Celente predicted.

It's also worth considering that frugality-driven responses such as urban gardening may come slower to prosperous Alberta than they would to other areas of NA that are feeling the pinch harder, and sooner.

The Cosworth
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

It seems unsurprising to me that the two would be closely associated.

Nice catch, Cosworth. It's nice to see a counterpoint to the uncritical praise of Celente's PR machine.

That being said, I don't think all of the prediction's he's listed are necessarily wrong - Some may be off on timing. The &quot;Erlich&quot; effect, if you will

In particular, I'm thinking of his reference to front lawn gardening.

Urban gardening is alive, and growing fast. Last spring was a record year for seed sellers, primarily due to the explosion among the urban gardening community. Next is expected to be even greater.

A fellow on my own street has torn out his front lawn, and replaced it with garden beds. He grew so many veggies last summer, that he shared with several of his neighbors, some of whom are now working with him on collaborative gardening projects for next spring.

It's there, and it's growing - Perhaps not as soon as Celente predicted.

It's also worth considering that frugality-driven responses such as urban gardening may come slower to prosperous Alberta than they would to other areas of NA that are feeling the pinch harder, and sooner.

Not to re-quote or to de-value what your saying, this is just what I think about all predictions.

Celente isn't a seer. He just looks at current trends and extrapolates. That means, of course, he's totally blind to anything that doesn't yet show up on a data curve.

So I agree that he was right on a lot of things, because anyone who cares enough to study it could produce the same predictions. You cannot predict something that has yet to surface (like say Hitler before the 1890's) unless you are clarvoant (which I dont believe anyone is).

Your right he is correct on enough things to give him reason to be listened to.

However those are things that dont have a huge impact on society. Take your gardening example, does it affect oil prices if more people start to garden at home? Not really, what about job creation? not really as people still need to buy other food they cannot grow at home. It is more of a niche thing, and niche things have a better probability of coming true because there are a lot less unforseen factors.

Now take a food riot, these things affect everyones day to day, from oil to jobs to even survival. Now to say someone can predict the start and end to one is absurd. I doubt there is even a single person who is actively trying to stop front lawn farming, however there would be massive work to save a large exodus of people if a food riot started. I think predicting these events are too hard because outside factors and many people become involved to correct the situation.

I hope that makes sense I am not sure if it does.

Eleanor
12-03-2008, 06:38 PM
Death Race anyone? :D

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 10:06 AM

Not to re-quote or to de-value what your saying, this is just what I think about all predictions.

So I agree that he was right on a lot of things, because anyone who cares enough to study it could produce the same predictions. You cannot predict something that has yet to surface (like say Hitler before the 1890's) unless you are clarvoant (which I dont believe anyone is).

Your right he is correct on enough things to give him reason to be listened to.

However those are things that dont have a huge impact on society. Take your gardening example, does it affect oil prices if more people start to garden at home? Not really, what about job creation? not really as people still need to buy other food they cannot grow at home. It is more of a niche thing, and niche things have a better probability of coming true because there are a lot less unforseen factors.

Now take a food riot, these things affect everyones day to day, from oil to jobs to even survival. Now to say someone can predict the start and end to one is absurd. I doubt there is even a single person who is actively trying to stop front lawn farming, however there would be massive work to save a large exodus of people if a food riot started. I think predicting these events are too hard because outside factors and many people become involved to correct the situation.

I hope that makes sense I am not sure if it does.

I located the blog-source, and re-read it, and found I didn't care much for it. It was both uninformed and unfair. It seems grasping and excessive to take Celente to task for developments he didn't anticipate. Unfortunately, it's one of the few sites offering anything resembling a counterpoint to Celente's hype.

I never read Megatrends 2000, but if it's true the Celente predicted front-yard gardening back then, he's already a frickin genius. We don't see it much in Calgary yet, but it's an explosively growing phenomenon in the Western World. An inevitable response to concerns about food security and safety.

While it's somewhat true he's extrapolating trends, it's not an extrapolation many are informed enough to make. His predictions are unsurprising to me[1], after spending the last year immersing myself in books about energy, economics, and agriculture, but to many, they must seen outlandish. I know a year ago, they would have seemed very disconnected to me.

At the end of the day, it's difficult for most to find relevance in Celente's predictions, which serve mostly as a PR stunt to boost Celente's consulting biz. Some will see these predictions as self-evident, and some will see them as outlandish. Few will actually be enlightened by them.

Additionally, living in our Island of Albertan wealth, we're disconnected from the realities faced by most of the rest of the world, including other North Americans. Just because catastrophe hasn't struck us, doesn't mean it hasn't struck.

That being said, even Albertans are already going through the initial stages of food "Shortage", as increases costs have forced some to buy a little less. At this stage, such costs are easily absorbed, managed, or tolerated, but the process has already begun.

For many Americans, Celente's recent predictions have already become a reality this year.

[1] Qualifier: While I agree with Celente's predictions, I do not agree with his assigning time frames to them. Catastrophe is a progression that will engulf different people at different times.

Hakkola
12-04-2008, 12:23 PM
LOL at 2012! A calendar ends! Ours ends on Dec 31st this year, it's the end of the world!!!!

... What do you mean we get a new calendar for next year? Really?

:banghead:

01RedDX
12-04-2008, 12:38 PM

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola
LOL at 2012! A calendar ends! Ours ends on Dec 31st this year, it's the end of the world!!!!

... What do you mean we get a new calendar for next year? Really?

:banghead:

Hahaha... I've made the same joke.

Additionally, there's tons of Mayans still living in Central America - Can't someone get them to release an update or something?

ianmcc
12-04-2008, 02:34 PM
The Mayan calender ended when the Spanish Conquistadors killed the calender maker; he only go up to 2012 before he died.:nut:

The Cosworth
12-04-2008, 03:08 PM
The Mayan calender ended when the Spanish Conquistadors killed the calender maker; he only go up to 2012 before he died.:nut:

I always wondered that

TKRIS
12-04-2008, 03:30 PM

False.
The Mayans had several different cyclical calenders. The 2012 Doomsday bullshit is based on a misinterpretation of the Long Count calendar made by some New Age wackjob guy with a doctorate in art history, and an appallingly tenous grasp of actual history or science.

Of all the conspiracy bullshit I subject myself to on a regular basis in the interests of truth and self-abasement, the 2012 is one of the most obviously wrong of all of them. Anyone who believes ANY of the 2012 theories (and I've lost count of how many ways in which I've been told the world will end on that fateful day) either has a serious mental deficiency, or can't be bothered to take, literally, 5 minutes to research the validity of their beliefs.

I'm constantly amazed and depressed by the realization that while the entire culmination of human knowledge is, quite literally, at our fingertips, people continue to believe in mystic crystal skulls, chemtrails, and homeopathy...

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Hysteria and Bullshit.

"I do not understand this, so it cannot be true!!"

The Cosworth
12-04-2008, 03:39 PM

False.
The Mayans had several different cyclical calenders. The 2012 Doomsday bullshit is based on a misinterpretation of the Long Count calendar made by some New Age wackjob guy with a doctorate in art history, and an appallingly tenous grasp of actual history or science.

Of all the conspiracy bullshit I subject myself to on a regular basis in the interests of truth and self-abasement, the 2012 is one of the most obviously wrong of all of them. Anyone who believes ANY of the 2012 theories (and I've lost count of how many ways in which I've been told the world will end on that fateful day) either has a serious mental deficiency, or can't be bothered to take, literally, 5 minutes to research the validity of their beliefs.

I'm constantly amazed and depressed by the realization that while the entire culmination of human knowledge is, quite literally, at our fingertips, people continue to believe in mystic crystal skulls, chemtrails, and homeopathy...

Can you explain it, or link to a viable source of how the 2012 calendar is misinterpreted.

I have a bunch of so called 'wack jobs' at my work I would like to be able to rebuttal too.

TKRIS
12-04-2008, 04:01 PM

Can you explain it, or link to a viable source of how the 2012 calendar is misinterpreted.

I have a bunch of so called 'wack jobs' at my work I would like to be able to rebuttal too.

This will get you started.
http://members.shaw.ca/mjfinley/arguelles.html
Additionally, you can look up anything written by actual Mayan experts regarding Arguelles's Dreamspell calendar. They all basically say the same thing: Arguelles doesn't have a fucking clue what he's talking about, and while there's a smattering of actual Mayan history and research mixed in, it's only there to hide the fact that all his high points are pulled directly out of his ass.
Dr. Michael Coe put it best: "Totally crackpot."

Feel free to give me some specifics on what flavour of bullshit your coworkers are buying into if you'd like me to help you with a counterpoint. That is to say, are they of the impression that the crystal skulls are going to come together and end the world, or that the poles will suddently switch, or that PLanet 'X' is going to smash into us and kill everyone, etc.?

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 04:12 PM

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar "

"The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem. [12][13]"

[12] Malcolm Gladwell. Genius: 2012, (Video) from the 2007 New Yorker Conference. The New Yorker, 2007-05-07
[13] a b G. Jeffrey MacDonald. Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? USA Today, 2007-05-27

HTH.

The Cosworth
12-04-2008, 04:15 PM

Feel free to give me some specifics on what flavour of bullshit your coworkers are buying into if you'd like me to help you with a counterpoint. That is to say, are they of the impression that the crystal skulls are going to come together and end the world, or that the poles will suddently switch, or that PLanet 'X' is going to smash into us and kill everyone, etc.?

awesome! I will read through that tonight!

As for their concerns they always say how accurate his calendar was, how there is some celestial event that only happens once in a , and that no one knows what will happen.

Some take it more literally as the end of the world and the recent economic events as proof. (this one reminds me of everytime the middle east starts firing at each other, Christians quote it as the end of the world because the start of a conflict in the holy land).

[i]Originally posted by Legless_Marine2

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_calendar &quot;

&quot;The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar forms the basis for a New Age belief, first forecast by José Argüelles, that a cataclysm will take place on or about December 21, 2012, a forecast that mainstream Mayanist scholars consider a misinterpretation, yet is commonly referenced in pop-culture media as the 2012 problem. [12][13]&quot;

[12] Malcolm Gladwell. Genius: 2012, (Video) from the 2007 New Yorker Conference. The New Yorker, 2007-05-07
[13] a b G. Jeffrey MacDonald. Does Maya calendar predict 2012 apocalypse? USA Today, 2007-05-27

HTH.

yeah sorry I know what the calendar is, i was more asking for information on disproving some of the conspiracy theories that have spawned from it.

TKRIS
12-04-2008, 04:36 PM

awesome! I will read through that tonight!

As for their concerns they always say how accurate his calendar was,

Like what? I've had this conversation before:
"It's based on an very ancient calendar that's made incredibly accurate predictions"
"Oh yeah? Such as."

"Well, err. it, ummm...."

Occasionally they'll make up some bullshit that is so easily debunked that I'm actually embarassed for them.

how there is some celestial event that only happens once in a [insert whatever here], and that no one knows what will happen.

*cue spooky music*

ohhhhhhhh Planet X, aka Nibiru...

I'm not certain how Zacharia Sitchin's bullshit has become conjoined with Arguelles's bullshit, but it has. What's funny about this is that Sitchin doesn't think his fake planet is going to pass by on Arguelle's fake doomsday timeline. They can't even agree on their own made up, end of the world, bullshit. Haha...

Feel free to research nibiru. You'll find it under the heading of "Hypothetical, non-scientific astronomical bodies" in Wikipedia.

If you want a laugh, look into Sitchin while you're at it. haha

Here's a helpful tip: If you're going to base your bullshit on "ancient Sumarian texts"...you should probably make sure you can actually read Sumarian, as oppose to just banking on the fact that no one else ever will.

Some take it more literally as the end of the world and the recent economic events as proof. (this one reminds me of everytime the middle east starts firing at each other, Christians quote it as the end of the world because the start of a conflict in the holy land).

You'll be very, very, very hard pressed to find ANY time in history lacking soothsayers predicting that the end is nigh...

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 04:49 PM

yeah sorry I know what the calendar is, i was more asking for information on disproving some of the conspiracy theories that have spawned from it.

The appended citations [12] and [13] appear to contain the information you seek.

Legless_Marine2
12-04-2008, 05:07 PM

You'll be very, very, very hard pressed to find ANY time in history lacking soothsayers predicting that the end is nigh...

And for all preceding civilizations and peoples those predictions eventually came true.

TKRIS
12-04-2008, 05:17 PM
And for all preceding civilizations and peoples those predictions eventually came true.

Bwahahahahahaha.
That is one of the dumbest, most nonsensical, and irrelevant things I've read in a long, long time.

The Cosworth
12-06-2008, 02:23 PM

Bwahahahahahaha.
That is one of the dumbest, most nonsensical, and irrelevant things I've read in a long, long time.

thanks for all your help. I like reading shit like this and laughing at people who think that things are going to change drastically (not normal progression) to me it just screams people who honestly believe they are better than everyone else (because why else would the most important time in history happen when THEY are around and are able to predict it)

Hopefully that makes sense, it is saturday

yue
12-06-2008, 06:12 PM
soylent green 2012, anyone?

googe
12-06-2008, 07:37 PM
soylent green is people

Legless_Marine2
12-06-2008, 10:14 PM

thanks for all your help. I like reading shit like this and laughing at people who think that things are going to change drastically (not normal progression)

I really don't know anyone who is suggesting an immediate collapse. Decline is macro process, and can often only be identified in hindsight. Collapse is possible, but likely only after extended decline.

It's always disappointing to me to see people who are dismissive of matters they are unable to understand: Celente's toenail has more education and intelligence than this entire site combined.

to me it just screams people who honestly believe they are better than everyone else (because why else would the most important time in history happen when THEY are around and are able to predict it)

Beliefs spring from myriad motivations, assumptions, and influences. It is oversimplistic to assume a particular belief springs from one motivation.

It smacks of arrogance, that someone who hasn't devoted any effort to studying a subject assumes that they are qualified to evaluate or dismiss someone who has devoted themselves to it.

googe
12-06-2008, 11:07 PM
^its fairly evident that you lost more than your legs during your days in battle.

Legless_Marine2
12-07-2008, 01:13 AM
^its fairly evident that you lost more than your legs during your days in battle.

How so?

yue
12-07-2008, 06:57 AM
soylent green is people
yeah man, food riots, soylent green...am i the only one who sees the connection?

Antonito
12-07-2008, 12:36 PM

It smacks of arrogance, that someone who hasn't devoted any effort to studying a subject assumes that they are qualified to evaluate or dismiss someone who has devoted themselves to it.

This assumes that people in this thread are dismissing the concepts based on their own education on the matter, rather than relying on people with equal (or more likely vastly superior) understanding of the subject matter.

In matters like this, it does not require someone to spend years of their lives in order to be able to make an evaluation, there is enough information presented by both sides that some logical reasoning can discern which is correct.

dubol
12-07-2008, 04:15 PM
I was watching the documentary on the Sun from ninjavideos, they were saying that 2012 is when sunspots will face the earth, which would cause coronal mass ejections to hit the earth straight on causing power outages worldwide or something of that sort (well it has a chance to, not saying it will)

Legless_Marine2
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by dubol
I was watching the documentary on the Sun from ninjavideos, they were saying that 2012 is when sunspots will face the earth, which would cause coronal mass ejections to hit the earth straight on causing power outages worldwide or something of that sort (well it has a chance to, not saying it will)

Sounds like 2012's gonna be an interesting year any way you cut it.

The various converging theories reminds me of Heinlein's "Year of the Jackpot".

Legless_Marine2
12-07-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Antonito

This assumes that people in this thread are dismissing the concepts based on their own education on the matter, rather than relying on people with equal (or more likely vastly superior) understanding of the subject matter.

In matters like this, it does not require someone to spend years of their lives in order to be able to make an evaluation, there is enough information presented by both sides that some logical reasoning can discern which is correct. \

Absolutely. I'm in full agreement with you that familiarity with major secondary sources in field is sufficient to form an informed opinion.

It's clear from many of the uninformed and ignorance responses in the thread that such a degree of knowledge has not been achieved.

wiggaplz
12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I think this 2012 date is odd because it is mentioned everywhere, all the time. As one poster said, human growth cannot be infinite and I truly believe in that. The way our society is nowadays, people are just straight fucked up. Everyone is extermely materialistic, only out for themselves, don't help other people, etc etc...if I go by what my parents tell me, society wasn't like that when they were younger.

As for all this food rioting shit...lol, I remember a couple months ago people were saying october 7th was the date shit went down...nothing much happened except the dow went down 600 points or something. One thing we can learn through history: the US always gets themselves out of messes.