PDA

View Full Version : Punching Power/Speed

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 03:02 PM
Hey just thought I'd post up a question regarding punching power and hand speed. What are your thought on using heavier gloves ie. 16oz vs 12oz. Will it improve your punching power and/or hand speed? Just debating with this issue with a friend over the weekend, he says no, I say yes.

With using heaver gloves, you grow accustomed to throwing with that extra mass, taking them off, or moving to a lighter set of gloves, you can throw the punch faster/harder....similar to resistance training

Thoughts.....?!?

lint
12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Regarding power, check out this clip of Bas Rutten on Master of Mixed Martial Arts from National Geographic.

BBZHGz4h2T4

It's not quite the same analysis, but the difference between mma gloves and boxing gloves when it comes to punching power were nearly identical. So your friend should be right. If you were to go from gloves to bare knuckle, you'd be right.

anonymous_j
12-01-2008, 03:20 PM
heavier gloves dont necessarily equate to speed when you take them off. 16oz gloves are mainly used for power but i guess it's possible to increase speed too.

89s1
12-01-2008, 03:57 PM
I used to do all my kicking wearing a pair of heavy millitary boots. Barefoot afterwards they felt lightning quick. Could have been in my head tho.

r3ccOs
12-01-2008, 04:43 PM
Boxed for years back in my old club in the peg
16oz gloves protect the face -- useful for Amateur and Sparring

They get heavy real quick and give a great workout
Exactly like you mention, like wearing ankle weights
Improves endurance, strength, accuracy and dexterity

You're having to jab, cross, straight an extra lb on your hand

When moving down to a 12oz or 10oz, it almost feels effortless and much more damaging

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 04:56 PM
thanks for that vid clip, I remember watching that a while back....I wonder why there is such a difference b/w gloved and non-gloved. Perhaps Science of Sport should cover this one (if they haven't done so already).

Dirty_SOHC
12-01-2008, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
Hey just thought I'd post up a question regarding punching power and hand speed. What are your thought on using heavier gloves ie. 16oz vs 12oz. Will it improve your punching power and/or hand speed? Just debating with this issue with a friend over the weekend, he says no, I say yes.

With using heaver gloves, you grow accustomed to throwing with that extra mass, taking them off, or moving to a lighter set of gloves, you can throw the punch faster/harder....similar to resistance training

Thoughts.....?!?

I believe in Plyometrics to increase hand speed. Using heavier gloves or weights, builds power IMO but not hand speed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plyometrics

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 05:02 PM
haha, I was wondering when you'd chime in on this one.....lol ^^ Plyo is nutz, working on my bottom half right now for it, time to get the top half on the same page.....

anonymous_j
12-01-2008, 05:27 PM
i would say you get around 60% of your punching power from your core and lower body.

kerry
12-01-2008, 05:30 PM
16oz gloves definitely helps out with your speed too but I found only for snappy jabs and hooks.

You train with Vedran, just ask him hahah. That dude hits like a truck.

1-Bar
12-01-2008, 05:33 PM
haha, I'll ask him next time I see him......we should train during the holidays ^^^ :thumbsup:

Originally posted by anonymous_j
i would say you get around 60% of your punching power from your core and lower body.

Agreed, most of the power is generated away from the arms, and technique is crucial for increasing punching power and speed.

r3ccOs
12-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 1-Bar
haha, I'll ask him next time I see him......we should train during the holidays ^^^ :thumbsup:

Agreed, most of the power is generated away from the arms, and technique is crucial for increasing punching power and speed.

Power is generate from the core, and explosiveness from both quick and slow twich muscles

Benching and curls have almost zero correlation with your ability to deliver a blow.

Jabs do take alot of quick arm snap, shoulder strength and endurance and I think upper traps

Straights require quick hip rotations and strong tricept extention

Crosses & Hooks, as you don't fully extend your arm, the emphasis is totally on rotation and release starting from the legs to the hips onwards. Bicept strength might be required to keep the arm taught.

Uppercut, I keep my arm completely tucked as you usually only do this during "infighting" and comes from the core and legs

If training to improve my punching power, I focus'd on the clean & jerk, and the snatch.
Total body strength with upperbody emphasis on the traps, upper shoulders and triceps
Creates explosive power and quickness as well

The next best thing? hammering on a heavy bag to get stronger

kutt3r
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

Total body strength with upperbody emphasis on the traps, upper shoulders and triceps
Creates explosive power and quickness as well

The next best thing? hammering on a heavy bag to get stronger

Something that an old friend from high school once said to me...
If the guy has big traps, he can probably knock you the f**k out...

I am not going to pretend I know that this is truth or not, but seeing as he was a jr. national level boxer I just took his word for it.

;)

1-Bar
12-03-2008, 10:22 AM
thanks for all the insight.....time to find a guy with big traps and settle this....haha j/k :thumbsup:

nj2Type-S
12-03-2008, 12:53 PM
i've got both 16oz and 8oz gloves and i've been using my 16oz gloves for the longest time. just recently, i tried my 8oz gloves and the speed increase is sick. on the downside, it offers less protection for your knucles so it kinda hurts, lol.

as for power, i don't think using heavier gloves will improve your punching power.

r3ccOs
12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by nj2Type-S
i've got both 16oz and 8oz gloves and i've been using my 16oz gloves for the longest time. just recently, i tried my 8oz gloves and the speed increase is sick. on the downside, it offers less protection for your knucles so it kinda hurts, lol.

as for power, i don't think using heavier gloves will improve your punching power.

Faster hand speed will correlate to more punching power

its all physics

TimG
12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
less padding in the lighter gloves -> less energy lost in compressing the padding.

also, when you move to smaller/lighter gloves, you have a smaller contact area, so for the same amount of force you're generating more pressure due to the smaller area.

if you have bad form you lose a lot of power. make sure you're rotating your hips. when you're doing crosses and straights also try to lift the heel of your rear foot off the ground and "push off" the ground to get the hips rotating.

there's also a difference between a "tapping" punch where you retract your arm as soon as it makes contact vs punching thru the target and leaving your fist on the target for ~ 1/2 second (time on target) to transfer maximum energy into the target.

kutt3r
12-05-2008, 10:27 AM
Sorry guys I did not want to start a new thread for this so I thought I would ask here seeing as it was somewhat on topic.

When training with a heavy bag is it good to train every 2nd/3rd day? I am assuming that you need some rest in there, just not sure how much.

Figured I would add this in as some cardio work, I have no formal training (but am looking to see what is out there) and I like to hit things so I figure this is a good way to get some frustration out and not break another knuckle again...

Thanks in advance...

r3ccOs
12-05-2008, 12:04 PM
Heavybag work is mostly anerobic if you're actuality working on impact, much like any kind of resistance training

So like with resistance training, it depends on your goal...
Increase strength? Increase stamina?

much like more reps or less reps with what type of intesity to reach your desired goals

I suggest no more than 3 cycles of 4-5 minutes of intence heavy bag work three to four times a week if you're a boxer

Agility, accuracy and dexterity can be had with double end bag (the ball in the middle of two bungees suspended from ground to floor) and speed bag

Hoagie
12-08-2008, 09:15 PM
interesting vid