PDA

View Full Version : Teaching English Overseas

booyah23
12-01-2008, 04:51 PM
I'm just wondering if anyone has ever gone the route of teaching English overseas and what their opinions are.

Kind of considering doing this as I would have the opportunity to travel and I've been stuck in some jobs where all I seem to be doing is spinning my wheels.

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 04:54 PM
I've got a friend who went to China to teach english, and now he's never coming back. That's about as much as I can tell you, but I know quite a few people who have done this and have loved it.

arian_ma
12-01-2008, 04:58 PM
Random and misinformed question but are the opportunities available for any country or is it only select countries?

I would love to do something like this in Africa.

booyah23
12-01-2008, 05:40 PM
I've looked into the opportunities that are based out of Asia.

From what I can tell Korea isn't the best place to do it as the working conditions/contracts can be somewhat flawed (i.e. may be working split shifts but not told about it.

Taiwan is supposed to be pretty good as is Japan and China.

I personally don't know anyone that has done this before but I know friends of friends that have and they've never had any regrets.

JWL
12-01-2008, 05:52 PM
From what I know, most schools prefer those who have a university degree than those who don't. I don't know if a TESOL (sp) certificate will get you into any schools, but I heard teaching in Japan and Korea are better to teach than China in regards to living conditions (this is only from what I heard). I have thought about teaching English in Korea, so I've done a lot of research and I frequent Dave's ESL Cafe quite a bit to check on job postings. Anyway, you have to be careful which company you go with, cuz they can screw you over and not pay you. A great program if you can get into is the Jet Program and it's in Japan (my friend went through it and apparently it's government subsidized so the salary is better). Also, I dated two guys who went to teach English in Korea and they're still there and one of them got married to a Korean girl. LOL...

Oh, and if you're a white dude, you won't have any problems picking up chicks over there. ;)

edit: I also want to say, if you're in your young (early 20's) I would absolutely take the chance, honestly, you have nothing to lose - no mortgage, not married, etc....

arian_ma
12-01-2008, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by JWL
edit: I also want to say, if you're in your young (early 20's) I would absolutely take the chance, honestly, you have nothing to lose - no mortgage, not married, etc....
Damn you hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm done school this next semester and have NOTHING to do. There is abso-fucking-loutely NO way I am starting work and will try to avoid that as long as possible so this makes perfect sense for me.
Can anyone help me out with some information links? I've found a bit on Google but nothing sufficient. Does the University help with things like this?

Ajay
12-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm not in my early 20s. I'm in my mid 20s but since I've finished school I've just been in jobs that I don't thoroughly enjoy nor do I entirely know what I want to do career wise.

Always wanted to travel and I heard it's a blast. A friend of mine wants to do it with me.

Realistically I probably wouldn't do this until around May.

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Do it. If you hate it, come back. If it doesn't work out, don't think of it as a year wasted, think of it as a year of a real world experience.

arian_ma
12-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Do it. If you hate it, come back. If it doesn't work out, don't think of it as a year wasted, think of it as a year of a real world experience.
Does it have to be a year? Are there 3 month programs? All of these websites are so ridiculously vague!!!

buh_buh
12-01-2008, 09:02 PM
I think typically you sign a one year contract, but I don't see why they wouldn't allow you to sign a 6 month contract.

toyboy88
12-01-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Does it have to be a year? Are there 3 month programs? All of these websites are so ridiculously vague!!!

You may have already Google'd this site, but I'll put it here anyways:

http://globaltesol.com/

And there are a bunch of different lengths you can do, based mainly on who/what kind of "employer" is looking for an English teacher. Could be 3-4 months, could be a year...really varies between how long they are looking for/the country.

Also, some places/countries will have accommodation provided, and some countries you have to find your own.

aram1000
12-02-2008, 10:14 AM
i have a few friends who have done this, my one friend went to go teach English in Korea a few years ago. loved it, and hasn't been back to Canada, he has since got out of teaching english but found other opportunities overseas, another friend of mine has taught in both Korea and Japan, again loved it, and another friend of mine just went to Korea a month ago to start, haven't heard from her yet. For the most part the people i know who have done this really enjoy it, no regrets, and all value the life experience they gained from the opportunity, as stated before, do your research and things should work out ok

JWL
12-02-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Damn you hit the nail on the head with that one. I'm done school this next semester and have NOTHING to do. There is abso-fucking-loutely NO way I am starting work and will try to avoid that as long as possible so this makes perfect sense for me.
Can anyone help me out with some information links? I've found a bit on Google but nothing sufficient. Does the University help with things like this?

If I remember correctly, I think the JET Program does hire students right out of the University. You should also check those foreign exchange programs at the U, I'm sure they could direct you to the right place.

Another thing you should consider is an English school associated with a community college or university, they should be more credible.

Billy_Billions
12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
I spent a couple years in Korea - as did my brother.

It was a good experience all around.

http://englishspectrum.com/new/main.php

check out this website. It's become alot more commercial over the years, but still has some decent info about living in Korea.

slick2404
01-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Bumping a ancient thread...

Does anyone know if the TEFL Certificate is worth it compared to TESOL, when considering teaching aboard?

Kijiji Deals has this going on right now:
$79 -140 hours online TEFL certification through star-tefl.com

http://www.kijijideals.ca/deals/calgary/star-tefl-advanced-certificate-online-course

Kobe
01-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Two of my friends have done this

http://www.educacion.gob.es/exterior/ca/es/menu_fijo/programas/auxi_canada.shtml

Need a degree, both love it! one of my friends is doing it for his 3rd year now..

bitteeinbit
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM
I've done and have contacts with people who've been at it for 20 years+ so ask me some specific questions if you have some.

Ideally you need:
-University degree (any field)
-CELTA is usually the best bet for a teaching certificate (if you don't have a degree or just want to up your chances).

It's not the most glamorous job and though it sounds cool from here, you're actually scoffed at (somewhat) by the rest of the expat community, kinda at the bottom of the pyramid but it's a nice experience. I'm actually going back after doing a certificate in Education.

Korea pays the best (so does Japan but I heard it's more difficult nowadays to get a job there without experience). Experience is always the biggest asset (regardless of education, they get early 20s backpackers all the time who don't know what the hell they're doing). Taiwan is good, China as well. It all depends on your own taste. I've known people who loved Korea, others hated it, same for every other country in Asia. I've never taught in Africa or Latin America though so can;t comment there.

interlude
01-25-2012, 05:36 PM
A buddy of mine left to Korea to teach, he has no immediate plans on moving back to Canada. He said something about going to Oz next.

He did say it was getting lonely out there being a white dude in Korea.

gran turismo
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
In 2003 I taught a year at this school in Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

http://www.kns.com.tw/

It's a great experience to travel and save some money if you want.

ragu
01-25-2012, 08:17 PM
^ How much can you expect per month and what are the expenses like?

coupesx
02-29-2012, 12:37 PM
^ bump to have this question answered

thrasher22
02-29-2012, 01:35 PM
Pretty sure my buddy who taught in korea for a government school said he was making $15/hr ish, accommodation is covered (but tiny and kinda sucks), and overall living expenses are 1/3 of Canada. Had a degree from mt royal.

Another friend of mine taught in China for 3 years and sounded like she did really well. Lived in a nice condo with a maid and traveled a bunch (but didn't save a dime). She has a teaching degree though.

vtec4life
02-29-2012, 02:09 PM
I'm seriously considering doing this as well. I think Japan is where I'd like to go since the car community is big there.. I would teach english to start. My dream would be to somehow start a GT racing career. I'll be the prodigy white boy in Japan.