PDA

View Full Version : Wireless internet help

jsn
12-01-2008, 10:33 PM
When i'm working on my laptop, my wireless internet will cut out randomly. It's still technically connected to my network but it'll have "limited Connectivity," so it's pretty much like I'm not connected at all. This happens every 5-10 minutes or so, but later it'll work again. My sister's laptop works fine and doesn't cut out like mine does. Also, my wireless network is set on the top of the priority list so it isn't trying to connect to another network.

Anyone have any ideas :dunno:

RY213
12-01-2008, 10:59 PM
try reinstalling your network adapter???

dj_rice
12-01-2008, 11:06 PM
What are you using as a router, and when its cutting out, was anyone using the microwave/phone or etc at the time?

dooman24
12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
what brand's the router?

jsn
12-01-2008, 11:16 PM
^^ My router is a lynksys router, and no one was using any microwaves or phones at the time. My network adapter is a built in one so i don't think i can reinstall it. Also I've tried to "repair" it but it usually doesn't make it past the refresh IP part.

adam c
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
if you have a lower end laptop you will have a lower end wireless card that won't pick up the signal as good

plus i find vista (if that's what you're using) keeps dropping my signal every so often, i could be 15' away from the router and have 3-4 bars and it won't connect unless i restart my computer

dj_rice
12-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Upgrade to a N router if yours isnt....after I upgrade to a D-Link DIR-625, I've never had a dropped connection or weak signal

ppatko
12-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Upgrading to an N router will not help.. and is a complete waste of money if you have no N devices.

Trying another router couldn't hurt though, just to rule it out as the issue

jwslam
12-02-2008, 11:03 AM
i rmb a time when that happened...
i think it was an ip conflict?
so i just had to manually config the IP and for both, and then set it back to auto

:dunno:
i'm pretty noob at this stuff haha

RY213
12-02-2008, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by jsn
^^ My router is a lynksys router, and no one was using any microwaves or phones at the time. My network adapter is a built in one so i don't think i can reinstall it. Also I've tried to "repair" it but it usually doesn't make it past the refresh IP part.

I meant to reinstall the software for it. What type of laptop do you have? If you go to the manufacturers website and click on support or something like that you should be alble to enter in your model # and find up to date drivers. Try reinstalling the network adapter driver and make sure your BIOS is up to date...

harv91
12-03-2008, 12:15 AM
if not change the channel from AUTO to an actual number
i kept losing a signal being on AUTO channel, when i made my channel like 7 or 9 or w/e it hasnt dropped even once.

jsn
12-03-2008, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all the replies. How do I make sure my BIOS is up to date? Is that the drivers? I have a feeling that this isn't the problem though because when I'm at the U of C, I never drop signal. It's only at home.

Also, how do you know which channel you select?

It's wierd...my sister's laptop works fine and doesn't drop but my laptop and another compaq laptop we have drops everynow and then. :banghead: