PDA

View Full Version : Copy and Paste Letter to the Governer General

freshprince1
12-02-2008, 10:27 AM
Here is a letter you can copy and paste and send to the GOverner General, voicing your distate for what is happening with the Coalition.

The Governer General's email address is:

[email protected]

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean
Governor General of Canada
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa ON K1A 0A1

Your Excellency,

I am writing to you today to express my outrage with the current state of our Parliamentary House of Commons.

On October the 14 of this year Canadians went to the polls to choose our current government. Canadians chose to send to Parliament Hill a minority government led by Stephen Harper. They rejected the idea of a Stéphane Dion led government, a Jack Layton led government, or a Gilles Duceppe led government. The choice made by myself, along with over 13 million other Canadians is represented in the House’s current make-up.

Some individuals may not like the current makeup of the House and desire something different. With respect to your duties and prerogatives, you cannot allow a coalition government to be formed. It is not Your Excellency’s role to cater to the whims of these individuals. Their voices cannot be allowed to resound greater than the voices of over 13 million Canadians.

To allow a coalition government to be formed is to allow several individuals operating in backrooms to highjack democracy. To allow a coalition government to be formed is insulting to over 13 million Canadians, where if such a government is formed, will have the voices counted for nothing.

Upon reading this letter I urge Your Excellency to send a strong message to the aforementioned individuals. They need to know that they do not decide who governs, Canadians do. These individuals need to know that if the House loses confidence, it is the right of Canadians to decide who governs, not them.

Sincerely,

Toms-SC
12-02-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think there is much she can do unless it is a good tongue lashing.

badatusrnames
12-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Governor.

freshprince1
12-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Governor.

Good one, I wrote it a little hastily...I need to "Grammar Police" myself, I knew it would happen sooner or later.

freshprince1
12-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Toms-SC
I don't think there is much she can do unless it is a good tongue lashing.

uh....she's the Governor General, the entire process is placed before her to decide, these are her options:

1) Grant the Coalition power.

2) Deny the Coalition's request and call an election

3) Allow the Prime Minister to "prorogue" the session and basically overlook the whole deal.

Unfortunately she is a Liberal-appointed GG, and she'll most likely choose 1 or 2. No one realistically thinks she'll choose the 3rd option.

Let's hope she calls an election, at least then we can vote...again...and hope the results are not taken away...again.

szw
12-02-2008, 11:01 AM
Letter should start with "Ello Gov'na!"

Melinda
12-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Let's hope she calls an election, at least then we can vote...again...and hope the results are not taken away...again.
:rolleyes: And cost Canada another $300 million during a recession only to end up with another minority government after the lowest voter turn out in history. Good one to hope for...

avishal26
12-02-2008, 11:04 AM
goddamn liberals...:banghead:

freshprince1
12-02-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Melinda

:rolleyes: And cost Canada another $300 million during a recession only to end up with another minority government after the lowest voter turn out in history. Good one to hope for...

So you would rather choose the Coalition? That's really the only other option, since a Prorogue session is too good to hope for.

I bet they ( the Coalition) would waste an exponentially higher amount on superfluous social programs, wiht more funding going to administartion than to the actual intended beneficiaries. And of teh beneficiaries, 80% of them would be freeloaders, draing the program of funds which would be better allocated somewhere else.

HyperZell
12-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Thank you for writing to the Office of the Secretary to the Governor General. We appreciate hearing your views and suggestions. Responses to specific inquiries can be expected within two to three weeks. Please note that many of the e-mails we receive are in the form of comments or opinions and do not receive a reply. Content that is of an offensive or commercial nature will not receive a response.

Due to the large quantity of incoming correspondence, we also cannot reply to e-mails inquiring about the status of a previous request. Thank you for your understanding.

civic_stylez
12-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by avishal26
goddamn liberals...:banghead:

you said it, they get the lowest voter support ever in the last election so when all hope is lost, go and grab on to the coat tails of the other parties and try and "sieze" the government.... bunch of absolute idiots..... BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.. all the oil, lumber, farming ,fisheries and water etc.... we could be our own power nation!!!!

Beerking
12-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by civic_stylez

you said it, they get the lowest voter support ever in the last election so when all hope is lost, go and grab on to the coat tails of the other parties and try and "sieze" the government.... bunch of absolute idiots..... BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan.. all the oil, lumber, farming ,fisheries and water etc.... we could be our own power nation!!!!

Genious!

civic_stylez for President. I vote for you to lead us.

If this does happen where Dion is our PM, they will spend our money on pointless social programs and infrastructure to create jobs for those that lost theirs due to the auto sector and forestry unions fuck ups. Not only will we be in a bigger deficit then what we would have had with Harper, but we will see ourselves sink into a deeper recession and frankly, we will be like the US of EH!

atgilchrist
12-02-2008, 12:50 PM
The CPC received 5,208,796 votes in October, not 13 million. Close enough that nobody will notice.

sputnik
12-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

I would rather spend $300 million on an election versus spending $30 billion on bailing out the automobile, forestry and manufacturing sectors.

sputnik
12-02-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
The CPC received 5,208,796 votes in October, not 13 million. Close enough that nobody will notice.

reading comprehension > you

badatusrnames
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM

Good one, I wrote it a little hastily...I need to "Grammar Police" myself, I knew it would happen sooner or later.

People will not take you seriously if you have spelling and grammar mistakes. You might think it's minor, but trust me, it's true.

The Cosworth
12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
sent, also to everyone in my office

atgilchrist
12-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

reading comprehension > you

I'm guessing the logic above is that all 13 million votes will be meaningless if the coalition gov't comes to be, which I believe to be an inherently flawed argument. And this has been argued greatly in the other forum, so we don't need to reiterate it here.

What I intended was that Canada's FPTP system creates these odd situations where the party that garners the largest share of the vote can be overriden by other parties teaming up. Whether this is good or bad is up to opinion.

SinisterProbeGt
12-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I recognize that many of my friends vote differently than I do and that diversity makes this country the best in the world.

You may not agree with the present government but voting against this coalition is the right thing to do as consent will undermine all that our forefathers have worked hard to build: DEMOCRACY.

Approval of this coalition open's a 'Pandora's Box' and most importantly sends a clear message to our youth that their vote DOES NOT count.

(The best thing about Canada is that a democracy gives you the right to agree, sign & forward this e-mail, or disagree and delete )

Please take a moment to express your thoughts about our current political situation! PLEASE FORWARD to as many CANADIANS as possible.

No - this isn't a chain letter. No, you won't have good luck or win the lottery, but you may just get the opportunity to exercise your right to vote, instead of having your vote erased by those that claim to "know better" than we as the Canadian electorate.

Signing takes only a minute, forwarding just a second - the results can last a lifetime!

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/CANADIAN/petition.html

Eleanor
12-02-2008, 01:35 PM
:rofl: @ people thinking copy & paste letters & internet petitions are going to have any effect whatsoever.

mazdavirgin
12-02-2008, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by SinisterProbeGt
You may not agree with the present government but voting against this coalition is the right thing to do as consent will undermine all that our forefathers have worked hard to build: DEMOCRACY.

:facepalm: The forefathers wrote that clause into the Consitution to specifically enable this form of a democratically elected Government... Seriously are people this uneducated about our political process?

szw
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by The Cosworth
sent, also to everyone in my office

Oh god...you're one of those people that sends crap like this to everybody in the office.

tirebob
12-02-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by mazdavirgin

:facepalm: The forefathers wrote that clause into the Consitution to specifically enable this form of a democratically elected Government... Seriously are people this uneducated about our political process? Exactly.... Whether or not you like or dislike the powers being kicked out or put in, it is a crucial part of democracy. If you know that you can be ousted from power in a minority government (and they all are aware... Stephen Harper had planned the same thing back in 2004), it "should" force you to play well with the opposition parties who combined have the majority of the public votes.

IMO the person everyone should be annoyed with is Harper for stuffing the opposition into a corner allowing them to force his hand... Eventually a bully will get slapped back, whether it is wrong or right.

Interesting times for sure...

barmanjay
12-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I think this take-over is a terrible idea :(

almost an act of desprocity (sp?) by the Libs.

Makes you wonder if there is a hidden agenda for NDP and BLOC leaders if the power play wins? possible hidden payouts? future bribes?

My guts tremble with fear of this accord.

If at the very least,.. I cringe at Dion leading,.. I'd rather Layton in a heartbeat over Dion

HyperZell
12-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by barmanjay
I think this take-over is a terrible idea :(

almost an act of desprocity (sp?) by the Libs.

Nice, that's like a completely new word you just used there. I have no idea what it means but it's cool. Desprocity!

arian_ma
12-02-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Nice, that's like a completely new word you just used there. I have no idea what it means but it's cool. Desprocity!
Something to do with being desperate?

ApexDrift
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
how about writing up a letter and going to the source...

snagged these of teh calgary sun website maybe it will help....

:dunno:

- Stephen Harper 80 Wellington St. Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0A2 Telephone: (613) 992-4211 Fax: 613-941-6900 [email protected]

-Stephane Dion House of Commons Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0A6 Telephone: 613-996-6740 Fax: 613-996-6562 [email protected]

-Jack Layton House of Commons Ottawa, Ont. K1A 0A6 Telephone: (613) 995-7224 Fax: (613) 995-4565 [email protected]

- Gilles Duceppe House of Commons Ottawa, Ont., K1A 0A6 Telephone: (613) 992-6779 Fax: (613) 954-2121 [email protected]

szw
12-02-2008, 02:37 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

desparate-atrocity?

freshprince1
12-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
:rofl: @ people thinking copy & paste letters & internet petitions are going to have any effect whatsoever.

Heaven forbid we try to influence the government that is supposed to be representing the popular vote.

Too bad you don't more value your rights as a citizen in a democracy.

Do what you like, I am not going down without a fight.

We cannot stop the Coalition from passing the vote of non-confidence, but we should try to force the Governor General's decision with a show of an organized opinion from the citizenry.

DRKM
12-02-2008, 05:00 PM
God Dammit Fresh prince1!

You keep saying the same things and people keep having to correct you. There IS NO POPULAR VOTE. We do not vote for the PM. We vote for a person to represent our RIDING.

Eleanor
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Heaven forbid we try to influence the government that is supposed to be representing the popular vote.

We cannot stop the Coalition from passing the vote of non-confidence, but we should try to force the Governor General's decision with a show of an organized opinion from the citizenry.
Did I ever say don't try? An online petition is not going to be taken seriously, neither is a letter that's word for word like a bunch of others.

Try writing your own letter to the people involved, using your own words and not just regurgitate someone else's ideas or views.

I don't agree with what's going on, but I'd rather speak for myself rather than sign something written by someone else or put my name underneath pedo_bear_69 or l33t_h4x0r.

:banghead:

a_singh3
12-02-2008, 09:34 PM

Did I ever say don't try? An online petition is not going to be taken seriously, neither is a letter that's word for word like a bunch of others.

Try writing your own letter to the people involved, using your own words and not just regurgitate someone else's ideas or views.

I don't agree with what's going on, but I'd rather speak for myself rather than sign something written by someone else or put my name underneath pedo_bear_69 or l33t_h4x0r.

:hijack:

freshprince1
12-03-2008, 10:43 AM

Well put, and I agree. I have done so, and will continue to do so.

The reason I am promoting these form letters is that many people feel they are not articulate enough to do so, or may not have time to compose a letter and send it.

I am whole heartedly agreeing that a personalized letter of opinion is the best way to react, and should be our first choice.. I guess I should have premised this thread with that.

eljefe
12-03-2008, 10:52 AM

The reason I am promoting these form letters is that many people feel they are not articulate enough to do so, or may not have time to compose a letter and send it.

If they don't have time to compose their own I would say that they don't care enough about the issue. If it's important enough you find time.

Isaiah
12-03-2008, 11:07 AM

...almost an act of desprocity (sp?)...

Desperation

Why do people fail to recognize that Harper's own arrogant power play put the CPC into this position in the first place. You absolutely cannot run a minority government the same as a majority and that's exactly what he's been doing.

1. Nothing for the economy
2. No interaction with the US on GM
3. Cutting funding for political parties

A first year political science student could have foreseen that his arrogance would bring the house of cards tumbling down.

The coalition government IS an exercise in democracy regardless of what the CPC or its fanclub will have you believe.

Cut n' paste letters to the Governor General? Come on now.

Isaiah
12-03-2008, 11:12 AM
I guess I should have premised this thread with that.

Prefaced.

Choose 1 of the following:

1. Don't use big words if you can't understand their context.
2. Continue to do so but delete the obnoxious 'grammar police' quote from your sig.
3. Consider the irony of a form letter to the Governor General from someone who can't spell Governor General.

malcolmk14
12-03-2008, 12:06 PM

Do you value your rights as a citizen above the rights of the opposition to form a coalition as set out in our Constitution?

Who's to say your rights are any more important than theirs? They're not breaking any laws here.

Also, "too bad you don't more value your rights as a citizen in a democracy" is not proper grammar.

Furthermore, the word you're looking for in place of "citizenry" is "electorate", since a good portion of citizens don't have a say. Children can't vote, but are still citizens.

The Governor General doesn't hold as much power as you think she does. Perhaps you should become a little more educated about the subject before you begin throwing around your very strong opinion.

barmanjay
12-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by malcolmk14

The Governor General doesn't hold as much power as you think she does. Perhaps you should become a little more educated about the subject before you begin throwing around your very strong opinion.

What are her options at this point?

I was under the assumption that she can push for another election?

side note:
proposition: not having taxpayer political funding.
How much do you think that will save tax payers?
Are there spending facts? average spending/party?
Does it outweight a proposed stimulous package over a short term? long term?

freshprince1
12-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Thank you everyone for pointing out my flaws, I know they exist. At the behest of Isaiah, I have removed the Grammar Police from my sig, as i am ashamed of the grammatical errors present in my posts. My only defence is that I posted them in haste and with passion. Please Isaiah, feel free to take the torch and run with it proudly.

Thank you as well for the lessons in Politics.

What my opinion boils down to is the frustration of having had an election in the last 7 weeks or so, only to have the results of the electorate's decision tossed by the wayside.

I don't know what you're talking about with the GG not having as much power as I think she does. This vote of non-confidence brings the issue to her to grant the Coalition power, call an election, or grant the Prime Minister's request to prorogue Parliament.

Flame as you like.

eljefe
12-03-2008, 12:24 PM
Thank you everyone for pointing out my flaws, I know they exist. At the behest of Isaiah, I have removed the Grammar Police from my sig, as i am ashamed of the grammatical errors present in my posts. My only defence is that I posted them in haste and with passion. Please Isaiah, feel free to take the torch and run with it proudly.

Thank you as well for the lessons in Politics.

What my opinion boils down to is the frustration of hvaing had an election in the last 7 weeks or so, only to have th results of the electorate's decision tossed by the wayside.

I don't know what you're talking about with the GG not having as much power as I think she does. This vote of non-confidence brings the issue to her to grant the Coalition power, call an election, or grant the Prime Minister's request to prorogue Parliament.

Flame as you like.

You handled that response graciously, I may not agree with all of your opinions but I respect the way you handled that beating.

malcolmk14
12-03-2008, 12:59 PM
The GG can't just act on a whim. She's under a lot of scrutiny here, especially because of her prior affiliations with Quebec separatism and the Paul Martin-led Liberals. Anything she does in this situation is going to set a very strong precedent for years to come.

If she decides to allow the coalition to govern, there will be such an unbelievably strong backlash from the electorate that it will damage the Liberal and NDP parties beyond repair. There is no way this coalition will be successful given their fundamental difference in policy. Stephane Dion even campaigned specifically on the platform that he would not form a coalition with the NDP. In this sense, you can conclude in some roundabout way that Liberal voters were directly opposed to a coalition.

If the Prime Minister suggests that we prorogue parliament, the GG will prorogue parliament while he gets this mess sorted out. If the PM suggests that we dissolve Parliament and hold another election, then she'll accept that suggestion. Our convention dictates that the Governor General's power is not discretional. She will act solely on the Prime Ministers advice.

Her role is to represent the Queen, and rest assured the Queen wants no part of any personal decision that's going to cause such a huge backlash in Canada. She will make sure that the GG acts on precedent with the country's interests in mind.

Either the opposition will back down and begin to compromise with the Conservatives on their policy, or we'll be headed back to the polls.

Stephen Harper knows the game, he was leader of the opposition of a minority government for two years. I trust him to get this mess sorted out.

malcolmk14
12-03-2008, 01:03 PM

side note:

In my opinion cutting taxpayer funding for political parties is a good thing. I have no idea how much it will save, but even a single dollar is good enough for me.

The thing about the proposed stimulus package is there are no further details about it. The coalition is just promising this money to someone, and not saying where it will go. I think Canada should take a wait-and-see approach in regards to the Financial Meltdown in the US, as our economy is entirely dependant on theirs.

Toma
12-03-2008, 01:11 PM
A BETTER Copy and paste letter

September 9, 2004

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson,
C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.
Governor General
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A1

Excellency,

As leaders of the opposition parties, we are well aware that, given the Liberal minority government, you could be asked by the Prime Minister to dissolve the 38th Parliament at any time should the House of Commons fail to support some part of the government's program.

We respectfully point out that the opposition parties, who together constitute a majority in the House, have been in close consultation. We believe that, should a request for dissolution arise this should give you cause, as constitutional practice
has determined, to consult the opposition leaders and consider all of your options before exercising your constitutional authority.

Your attention to this matter is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.
Leader of the Opposition
Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada

Gilles Duceppe, M.P.
Leader of the Bloc Quebecois

Jack Layton, M.P.
Leader of the New Democratic Party

alloroc
12-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Toma
A BETTER Copy and paste letter

September 9, 2004

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Adrienne Clarkson,
C.C., C.M.M., C.O.M., C.D.
Governor General
Rideau Hall
1 Sussex Drive
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A1

Excellency,

As leaders of the opposition parties, we are well aware that, ........

Sincerely,

Hon. Stephen Harper, P.C., M.P.
Leader of the Opposition
Leader of the Conservative Party of Canada

Gilles Duceppe, M.P.
Leader of the Bloc Quebecois

Jack Layton, M.P.
Leader of the New Democratic Party

You expect everyone to impersonate one of the opposition leaders?

:facepalm:

malcolmk14
12-03-2008, 01:20 PM
Harper: Well I've said I would not form a coalition under any circumstances - I said that in the election campaign, nothing changes. I expect we're going to put forward our program for the country, how we would make the House of Commons work. I know that Mr. Duceppe and Mr. Layton don't want an election, I think the Liberals may have a different view. We'll just see. We'll do whatever's necessary but I think we're going to be the official Opposition in this Parliament, I think that's how things will work.

Solomon: I just want to clarify something - you won't work with other parties

Harper: No I said we will work with other parties..

Solomon: You will, but you won't form a coalition -

Harper: No.

Solomon: You won't form a coalition, therefore in the event this government falls we cannot expect you to turn to another party and try to form a government, in other words it will be an election?

Harper: Well you're getting into a lot of hypotheticals...

Solomon: That's what this is all about!

Harper: I've said we wouldn't, we're not looking to form a coalition, the Bloc Quebecois has been very consistent that they're not going to form a coalition with anybody, so we wouldn't look to form a coalition - but the present government isn't in a coalition either.

Solomon: So why did you write that letter to the Governor-General with Gilles Duceppe and Jack Layton saying in the event of a confidence vote situation do not call a snap election - are we to assume that therefore you're working to form a coalition?

Harper: There seems to be an attitude in the Liberal government - that they can go in, be deliberately defeated and call an election - that's not how our constitutional system works. The government has a minority - it has an obligation to demonstrate to Canadians that it can govern. That it can form a majority in the House of Commons. If it can't form a majority, we look at other options, we don't just concede to the government's request to make it dysfunctional. I know for a fact that Mr. Duceppe and Mr. Layton and the people who work for them want this Parliament to work and I know if is in all of our interests to work. The government has got to face the fact it has a minority, it has to work with other people.

Solomon: Other options meaning that you would have to govern though - don't you have to be in a coalition de facto - isn't that the implication?

Harper: The current government believes it doesn't have to be in a coalition and I share that view. There's a lot of options in the House of Commons - what I expect the Liberals to do is try to seek different allies for different pieces of legislation.

Solomon: This is a fascinating...

Harper: That's what I think they'll do but they're going to have to make some compromises to do that...

Solomon: This is fascinating because usually we think of the Leader of the Opposition in a minority government as trying to bring the government down - you're saying they want to bring themselves down and they want to continue the status quo! Which is a kind of ...

Harper: Canadians want the Parliament to work - but look we're not going to roll over to agree with the government just so they can stay in office. But as I say we've been away from minority government's for so long we've forgotten how they work. The government is still the government. The official Opposition is still the Official Opposition. And these two parties are still going to battle for govenrment in the next election. And that's how the system works. There's going to be other parties, the third parties and that's usually where the government's going to have to seek its mandate to try to get a majority in the House of Commons and it's - that's really their primary responsibility. They've got to get these other parties supporting them regularly or they can't command the confidence of the House. And the same would be true for me if I had the most seats, I would have to find a way of governing.

Interesting interview shortly after that letter was written, with Mr. Harper.

atgilchrist
12-03-2008, 01:57 PM

side note:

The funding cuts would have amounted to around $30 million (It was $1.95 per vote). Lots, but far short of the $30 Billion proposed stimulus.

freshprince1
12-03-2008, 01:59 PM

If the Prime Minister suggests that we prorogue parliament, the GG will prorogue parliament while he gets this mess sorted out. If the PM suggests that we dissolve Parliament and hold another election, then she'll accept that suggestion. Our convention dictates that the Governor General's power is not discretional. She will act solely on the Prime Ministers advice.

Her role is to represent the Queen, and rest assured the Queen wants no part of any personal decision that's going to cause such a huge backlash in Canada. She will make sure that the GG acts on precedent with the country's interests in mind.

Stephen Harper knows the game, he was leader of the opposition of a minority government for two years. I trust him to get this mess sorted out.

Excellent point, thank you for reminding me of that. On paper, she has the power, but in convention the power is wielded as you stated.

lint
12-03-2008, 02:14 PM

Solomon: But providing an Opposition in this case is very different from what Canadians have understood because your opposition could bring the government down. Are there trigger points that would bring the government down?

Harper: Well there are lots of things that could bring the government down, but my opposition can not bring the government down. [b]The government can only be brought down because it alienates several parties in the House. And the first obligation in this Parliament, if the government wants to govern, it has to come to Parliament and it has to show that it can get the support of the majority of members, through the Throne Speech, through legislation, and through budget and supply, and the government to this point has made no effort to do that, but that's its first obligation.

Solomon: Would you describe this government's position because of its lack of consultation as precarious?

Harper: I'd describe it more as arrogant. And I think the real problem that we're facing already is that the government doesn't accept that it got a minority. The Liberals think the natural state of affairs is a Liberal majority - they're not happy about this, they don't accept it and quite frankly, they're going to look for any opportunity to call an election. I can tell you that our party and I'm sure Mr. Duceppe and Mr. Layton from our conversations want Parliament to work - it's in the interests of the Opposition for this Parliament to go on for a while and be effective. It is only the government that wants to end this state of affairs and go to have another election.

malcolmk14
12-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I've already pointed out the difference between the current situation and the 2004 situation in the other active thread. There was no coalition in place in 2004, nor was there plans to create one to steal a majority in the house.

avishal26
12-03-2008, 03:09 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/avishal26/40thElection.jpg

The results of the last election (40th Canadian General Election)

NDP and Liberals combined still don't have enough seats combined to overcome the Conservatives. How can anybody in this nation allow the Separatist party (aka Bloc Quebecois) to influence the decisions of the ruling party of Canada. And who here thinks its a good idea to have three different parties, who have historically always been on each other's throats, to try and govern the nation.

The Canadians clearly told the Liberal leader Stephane Dion that they don't think he is capable of governing a nation. The guy has 77 seats out of 308 for crying out loud... and now he is actually going to be running our country. He will not only be trying to lead his own party (the liberals don't even think he is capable of leading his own party and plan to remove him come May) but also trying to control and lead THREE different parties??? Outrageous... and in case anybody was wondering... both the NDP and Liberals have significantly changed their platforms since the election. No more carbon tax for the Liberals... I mean if they know that the Canadians don't like that idea, why didn't they just scrap it during the election, which was a mere 6/7 weeks ago. Maybe they would've had a better chance then.

The last election was held in the midst of the economic turmoil, and the Canadians picked their leader. I really don't think forcing another election during the even worse economic situation we are in now would help any of the parties. We already had a ridiculously low voter turnout last election, who knows how low it will go if there is another one in the next couple of weeks.

In all fairness to the Liberals and NDP, maybe the Conservatives are not doing as much as they should be for the current state of our economy. But, I rather trust an Economist (from the U of C nonetheless, Stephen Harper) to lead us through this mess than some clown who can't even speak properly in English. I would take Jack Layton hands down over Dion to lead us if I had to choose.

If the conservatives try to hold on to power by proroguing the parliament, they probably won't win the next election (Whenever it may be), and if the liberals and NDP go ahead with their 'coalition', then they will have no chance in the next election either, unless they dramatically turn the economy around...which if Dion is leading ... I'm inclined to say won't happen. Either way, whoever comes out of this on top is doomed it seems like.

I love Democracy!! :whipped: