PDA

View Full Version : Kids in the Hall back on the box

D'z Nutz
12-02-2008, 12:00 PM
Not sure if there's any KITH fans here, but if there are... :clap:

http://www.thestar.com/article/546727

Beloved quirky comedy troupe heading back to CBC with new show, says Kid Dave Foley
Dec 02, 2008 04:30 AM
Cassandra Szklarski
The Canadian Press

The Kids in the Hall are returning to the CBC.

Comedian Dave Foley says the five-member troupe is writing an eight-episode miniseries for the public broadcaster.

The show would have the quirky comics playing a multitude of roles and feature an ongoing narrative.

"We're going to start writing that very soon," Foley said recently from the Gemini Awards, where he presented an award at a glitzy bash honouring the best in Canadian drama, variety and comedy TV.

"It'll be an eight-episode arc with a narrative running through it and we will play all the characters, but it won't be sketch; it'll be a single narrative miniseries. Probably the closest thing to it will probably be something like (the defunct cult British series) League of Gentlemen, which I think was brilliant. So I hope it will be close to that."

The project is tentatively titled, Death Comes to Town, and would serve as a long-awaited return by the Toronto-based group to the CBC.

That was where the improv troupe shot to fame in the late '80s and early '90s with their sketch comedy show, The Kids In the Hall, winning a dedicated fanbase that spilled into the U.S. when the series, produced by Saturday Night Live's Lorne Michaels, aired on CBS.

Their characters and surreal worlds included Mark McKinney's sex-crazed chicken lady, Bruce McCulloch's sexist Cabbage Head, Scott Thompson's gay socialite Buddy Cole, and Kevin McDonald and Foley's insane Sizzler Sisters.

After the show went off the air in 1994, each member went on to pursue independent projects in Canada and the U.S., with McKinney and McCulloch landing on SNL and carving niches as sought-after TV writers. McDonald and Thompson went on to score memorable cameos in a slew of sitcoms while Foley's endeavours included a starring role in the long-running series NewsRadio.

The gang reunited earlier this year for a cross-Canada comedy tour that had them revive their beloved sketch characters.

Most recently, Foley popped up on the Sally Field nighttime soap opera, Brothers and Sisters, playing a gay man.

"Yes, it was my return to homosexuality," joked Foley, who also played a gay man on the defunct sitcom Will & Grace.

Foley said the Kids are also thinking about hitting the big screen with a feature film.

"As a group, we're still talking about doing a feature as well, but first we have to wait till everyone who ever saw Brain Candy is dead," sighed Foley, referring to their critically panned 1996 feature.

95teetee
12-02-2008, 01:19 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Mibz
12-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Top drawer. This show was bigger than MuchMusic for me when I was growing up.

01RedDX
12-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Crymson
12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
"As a group, we're still talking about doing a feature as well, but first we have to wait till everyone who ever saw Brain Candy is dead," sighed Foley, referring to their critically panned 1996 feature.

HAHAHAHA

Tik-Tok
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
Nice.

ExtraSlow
12-02-2008, 02:36 PM
Is it wrong if I liked brain candy?

D_2K
12-02-2008, 02:39 PM
Chicken LADY! hahaha

Tik-Tok
12-02-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by D_2K
Chicken LADY! hahaha

"They said he was scarred! Scarred for life!" :rofl:

D'z Nutz
12-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Is it wrong if I liked brain candy?

fuck no. It's one of my favorite movies to date.

Best new Rap, Hip-Hop or Folk act, Cancer boy:
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc259/ericrider/CancerBoyWhistling.jpg

D'z Nutz
12-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Bump :D

A9A2-b0pNgI

speedog
12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Why the bump? Like this thread was inactive for over a year.

speedog
12-21-2009, 01:59 PM
K, no problem - the new vid was worth the bump.

mr2mike
12-22-2009, 12:23 PM
Loved this sketch on a "drop in" league squash player taking things too seriously.
FJjMAeJxdYw

...then they got all gay.

cdnsir
01-12-2010, 04:45 PM
Here we go! It starts tonight, then every Tues at 9pm EST!

http://www.cbc.ca/kidsinthehall/index.html

95teetee
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
no one talking about this at all?
I'll start- is it the funniest thing on TV? No, but I'm enjoying it- it's TKitH after all...thought this week's episode was better than the first one...a few pretty good characters...

and something else- this show looks absolutely great (HD-wise, not guys-dressed-up-as-women-wise:D ). I couldn't believe how good it looks (I don't know if it's just that I'm used to the crap Global & CTV feeds that Bell gives me for my American networks or what, but CBC (?!?!?) is doing an awesome job producing this).