PDA

View Full Version : Steam Room and Sauna?? Does it help with weight loss???

ekguy
12-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Thinking of switching to Golds since they have both and access to the pool right from the change rooms...Does it make a noticeable difference when trying to lose weight?

jumperman8
12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Did you mean to put this in health an fitness??? also ya, sure, if your trying to be at a certain weight class for a boxing match!!

ekguy
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
please move to appropriate section to any mod haha and yes it should be in health and fitness

euro_racer
12-02-2008, 07:50 PM
as far as i know no it does not, you lose only water weigth

Dave P
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
What are the other benefits of saunas? i enjoy them, but have no clue if there is any benefits?

ekguy
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
alrighty then no point in switching gyms...but golds looks so much nicer than the y in shawnessy though hahaha...but also further drive...hahah.

black13
12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Yea you just sweat out your fluids. There is some weight loss but its very little.

But overall its good to relax your muscle's after a hard workout. I always feel after 15 min in there and usually all my muscle soreness goes away.

DJ_NAV
12-02-2008, 08:10 PM
its really good for your skin too...

Jlude
12-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Good to relax the muscles and open your pores

Kritafo
12-02-2008, 08:59 PM
good for when you have a cold as well.

a_singh3
12-02-2008, 09:00 PM
o yea nothing like sittin in the saunce la naked

ekguy
12-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Despite the fact that the tool above replied to this thread is there any other opinions...

This was the only reason I was switching to Gold's Gym and if it's not really going to help me I might just stay at the Shawnessy Y.

bawlls
12-03-2008, 04:00 PM
You will not see an increase in muscle gained, nor loss of fat. so if you plan to switch gyms for it, it will be because of the other benifits (relaxation, skin, recovery, detoxification)

kutt3r
12-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Simple answer no. It will not help with weight loss.

More complex answer. If it helps you recover you could work out harder and burn more calories, so yes it could, I am really stretching here....

Stay with the place you are going to use... i.e closer... you know if we ever get snow you are going to use that as an excuse not to go... too far to driver :P

(Thats a joke btw)

ekguy
12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Well it's not much further just hit 22x for a bit then deerfoot...But yeah dunno though the abundance of high school tchotchies (excuse the spelling) makes it almost worth switching...Since the Y is attached to BOB...

kutt3r
12-03-2008, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by ekguy
Well it's not much further just hit 22x for a bit then deerfoot...But yeah dunno though the abundance of high school tchotchies (excuse the spelling) makes it almost worth switching...Since the Y is attached to BOB...

But do the high school girls go there.....

Dazed and Confused...
I keep getting older, but the girls stay the same age....Matthew M
Love that line.....

:D

ekguy
12-04-2008, 03:56 AM
No just douchie high school guys

FlamingC19
12-04-2008, 03:48 PM
I was told from an older guy at Golds that he researched into the affects of a steam room/sauna and he said that it speeds up your metabolism. I've always thought you typically just loose water weight and love it during cold season or after a long workout.

r3ccOs
12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Fat loss, no, well yes
weight loss yes

I spent countless hours in one when cutting from my natural weight of roughly 195-200lbs to 184 when boxing

Sweat Suit, hot sauna & stationary bicycle with limited or no liquid consumptions

this of course was coupled with a high dosages of ECA stack and diarrhetics
healthy approach, hell no.

You also have to remember that while in the sauna will accellerate your heart rate resulting in more calories burnt while at rest

Otherwise I'd say the Sauna is beneficial from a perspective of a detox, relaxation and rest

Joe-G
12-06-2008, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
No just douchie high school guys

High school 'douches' have to achieve max swell too! lol
I don't really understand why many people complain though, everyone starts off somewhere right? At least they're trying to stay healthy.

ekguy
12-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G

High school 'douches' have to achieve max swell too! lol
I don't really understand why many people complain though, everyone starts off somewhere right? At least they're trying to stay healthy.

yeah and you get like 12 of them in a big cluster fuck of douchiness and they sit there at a weight bench while not one of them lifts anything and gawk at girls that aren't even that pretty and act tough and don't actually do anything but hold up benches or machines that could be used by people who actually go to the gym for a purpose.