PDA

View Full Version : Educate me on BMW 3 series...

mslbebiz
12-02-2008, 07:39 PM
I'm in the market for a car and a friend recommended I look at certified Mercedes and BMW products because they're offering very low financing rates on their used inventory. I don't think there's much MB offers that I'd like so that leads me to BMW's 3 series offerings.

BMW is offering 1.9% financing on certified '05 3 series sedans, and 3.9% on certified '06 and up 3 series sedans. The '06's and up include the free 4 year maintenance. Is that worth paying slightly more for?

Anyone have experience with Edmonton BMW dealers, particularly with the service departments?

Anything to watch out for, or certain vehicles I should look at?

How's the reliability on these cars?

I haven't had a lot of exposure with BMW's, so any input would be helpful. Thanks.

funkedelic2
12-02-2008, 07:51 PM
So the only reasons you are interested in MB and BMW is because your friend recommended these two brands and because of the low interest rates?

rizfarmer
12-02-2008, 07:54 PM
Obviously you don't know what you want so just go test drive your 3 series and see what you think. No one can give you any alternatives because you haven't said what you are looking for.

Originally posted by funkedelic2
So the only reasons you are interested in MB and BMW is because your friend recommended these two brands and because of the low interest rates?

If he doesn't know that much about cars, then I'd say low rates and a recomendation from someone he trusts is not a bad reason to be interested in a MB or BMW.

mslbebiz
12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
^ Of course not. I just didn't think I could afford them before, but now it looks like I can.

And since I haven't looked into them a lot I was hoping for a little feedback from people that are familiar with them, that's all.

Damn that's a nice M funkadelic. Is that the Estoril blue?

ekguy
12-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by rizfarmer
Obviously you don't know what you want so just go test drive your 3 series and see what you think. No one can give you any alternatives because you haven't said what you are looking for.

If he doesn't know that much about cars, then I'd say low rates and a recomendation from someone he trusts is not a bad reason to be interested in a MB or BMW.

this is a great point...If he had asked about a low interest rate honda he would of been received much differently I'm sure.

Aleks
12-02-2008, 08:01 PM
I had a 06 330i that I sold for the GTI. The only BMW i'd trade back for would be an M3 or one with the twin turbo 6.

BMW has up to 15K off on leftover 08s and 1% financing so ya they have crazy deals going...

funkedelic2
12-02-2008, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by mslbebiz
^ Of course not. I just didn't think I could afford them before, but now it looks like I can.

And since I haven't looked into them a lot I was hoping for a little feedback from people that are familiar with them, that's all.

Damn that's a nice M funkadelic. Is that the Estoril blue?

You should take one for a drive, i recommend the 335i.
Thanks! Its not estroil blue its Laguna Seca Blue but it's not my car anymore i sold it last month. Looking for a new BMW myself now.

Carlton
12-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Coming from a previous 3 series owner, its not all that great. The only good ones are the 335i and the M3 but these are going to cost you more than they are worth in my opinion. The gear boxes are very shitty with a long throw straight from the factory. Even the M3's (E46) suck unless you got the SMG option.

If you are looking at like a 328 coupe or something I would stay away, they are hardly sporty at all.

HP2133
12-02-2008, 08:49 PM
German engineering.
Amazing cars.

Jynx
12-02-2008, 09:03 PM
As a old BMW 3 series owner i would def say the 06 with the 4 year maintenance pack is worth it... not to mention the e46's now look OLD compared to the newer ones (just my opinion)

ICEBERG
12-02-2008, 09:40 PM
Just buy the 335i and put in a Vishnu V3 and you will be running with the big boy's.:D I seen a video of a BMW 335i with Vishnu V3 vs Lamborghini Gallardo and it was very impressive...

The 335 has already been deamed the european version of the supra, so it is only a matter of time before that thing is putting up some serious power.

Cheers,

cisco88
12-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I have a 06 330i that is going back for a 08 535i because of the crazy deals.

My experience with Edmonton BMW is awesome. Just don't go in there acting like an ass and you won't be treated like one.

I was there during the weekend working out my deal with the stealership and as we were talking prices this asian dude (don't worry, I'm asian too) walks in like he has a bamboo pole hiding in his pants. So my wife and I got passed on to the Sales Manager so that the salesman could help out the pole walker.

Well, long story short the asian was a big douche (very funny, since BMW drivers are all douche bags :) ). He was asking for 5-6k off MSRP and then showed the salesman a sheet from carscostcanada. After he got 5% below MSRP he then wanted 5% below invoice. Since I was working a deal on a low kilometer demo (4k), I was able to obtain a good amount off. But on a new car? His car of choice was a 08 335xi. Found out it had 60km so thats why he wanted a deal on invoice. I don't know if he went through with his deal, but I have a deposit on mine.

Service? You need to be patient with them. I've noticed some turnaround, but they now have a girl (good looking at that) that now works the desk. I've dealt with her once, but I mostly go straight to one of the service managers. Always get a loaner when my car was in. I even had a 335i for 4 weeks because of a rim repair mess up that wasn't their fault (3rd party, had to order a new rim on their tab). Just make sure you listen to the computer on the car because it will start warning you about a pending service. Once the alarm goes off I would book an appointment because loaner cars get booked up as well. I think they also give you a rental if all of there loaner fleet is out. No problems with actually service work, just desk people (but the bad ones are gone).

PM me if you need someone on the inside to deal with on a car, I might be able to help :) .

funkedelic2
12-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by cisco88

My experience with Edmonton BMW is awesome. Just don't go in there acting like an ass and you won't be treated like one.

I was there during the weekend working out my deal with the stealership and as we were talking prices this asian dude (don't worry, I'm asian too) walks in like he has a bamboo pole hiding in his pants. So my wife and I got passed on to the Sales Manager so that the salesman could help out the pole walker.

Well, long story short the asian was a big douche (very funny, since BMW drivers are all douche bags :) ). He was asking for 5-6k off MSRP and then showed the salesman a sheet from carscostcanada. After he got 5% below MSRP he then wanted 5% below invoice. Since I was working a deal on a low kilometer demo (4k), I was able to obtain a good amount off. But on a new car? His car of choice was a 08 335xi. Found out it had 60km so thats why he wanted a deal on invoice. I don't know if he went through with his deal, but I have a deposit on mine.

Service? You need to be patient with them. I've noticed some turnaround, but they now have a girl (good looking at that) that now works the desk. I've dealt with her once, but I mostly go straight to one of the service managers. Always get a loaner when my car was in. I even had a 335i for 4 weeks because of a rim repair mess up that wasn't their fault (3rd party, had to order a new rim on their tab). Just make sure you listen to the computer on the car because it will start warning you about a pending service. Once the alarm goes off I would book an appointment because loaner cars get booked up as well. I think they also give you a rental if all of there loaner fleet is out. No problems with actually service work, just desk people (but the bad ones are gone).

PM me if you need someone on the inside to deal with on a car, I might be able to help :) .

What was the deal on the 335i? How much was the MSRP and the interest rate? I am thinking of getting one.

Aleks
12-03-2008, 05:26 PM

The Asian dude was right to ask for more than 5K off.

You can get $7-10K off remaining 08 335i cars right now!! No kms on them either. So looks like he was more on top of it than you think ;)

Aleks
12-03-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

What was the deal on the 335i? How much was the MSRP and the interest rate? I am thinking of getting one.

$7-10K off remaining 08s 1% financing. 2% lease. See Eve at Calgary BMW for this deal.

whiskas
12-03-2008, 05:41 PM
we were talking prices this asian dude (don't worry, I'm asian too)

Heaven forbid a non asian would talk to an asian, that would be UNTHINKABLE.

funkedelic2
12-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

$7-10K off remaining 08s 1% financing. 2% lease. See Eve at Calgary BMW for this deal.

Can't im in Lethbridge, just wanted a number thrown out. Rough estimate.. I can't even see what they have in stock at the dealership. On their website i can only see their used cars, or i can build one online.. :dunno:

cisco88
12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

The Asian dude was right to ask for more than 5K off.

You can get $7-10K off remaining 08 335i cars right now!! No kms on them either. So looks like he was more on top of it than you think ;)

Yes off MSRP, but invoice? I have access to a leasing site and there is a difference between the two. Not a lot, but there is a difference.

cisco88
12-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by whiskas

Did you read the sentence? That wasn't the context I wrote it in. White folk can talk to yella folk any time any place! :D

cisco88
12-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I guess with all things said,

Now would be a good time to buy any car, as long as you can afford it.

I've never see rates at BMW like that. When I got 3.9% I thought that was the cat's ass. This time I'm getting .5% since I'm an existing customer.

mslbebiz
12-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Unfortunately even with the deals I can't afford a 335, so I'm still looking at used. They did mention to me that they're very negotiable right now as they need to sell some cars, new and used I believe.

gpomp
12-03-2008, 09:15 PM
used cars don't have much room to negotiate, nor do they have 1% finance.

mslbebiz
12-03-2008, 10:21 PM
It's 1.9% - 3.9% on their used sedans. Seems pretty good to me. I'll probably look at 330's, or 06+ 328's with the 3.0L. I think the 184hp 2.5L would be too weak in the 325 sedan.

iceburns288
12-04-2008, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by whiskas
Having been molested by the hyper-sensitive Beyond Racist Police I believe that was a justified addition to his post :p.

anonymous_j
12-04-2008, 12:20 AM
I guess with all things said,

Now would be a good time to buy any car, as long as you can afford it.

I've never see rates at BMW like that. When I got 3.9% I thought that was the cat's ass. This time I'm getting 0.5% since I'm an existing customer.

really?

gpomp
12-04-2008, 12:21 AM
return customers get 0.5% off so 1%->0.5%

blinkme_210
12-04-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by mslbebiz
It's 1.9% - 3.9% on their used sedans. Seems pretty good to me. I'll probably look at 330's, or 06+ 328's with the 3.0L. I think the 184hp 2.5L would be too weak in the 325 sedan.

E90 325 = 3.0L 205hp.
E90 323 = 2.5L 184hp.
E46 325 = same engine as E90 323i.

gpomp
12-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by blinkme_210

E90 325 = 3.0L 205hp.
E90 323 = 2.5L 184hp.
E46 325 = same engine as E90 323i.
actually...

E90 325 (06) = 215 hp
E90 323 (06) = 174 hp
E90 323 (07+) = 200 hp

dj_honda
12-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
used cars don't have much room to negotiate, nor do they have 1% finance.

return customers get 0.5% off so 1%->0.5%

actually...

E90 325 (06) = 215 hp
E90 323 (06) = 174 hp
E90 323 (07+) = 200 hp

hey do you own a bmw or something?

oh ya thats right, you dont. wanna be douchebag!!!1

whiskas
12-04-2008, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by iceburns288

Having been molested by the hyper-sensitive Beyond Racist Police I believe that was a justified addition to his post :p.

Hahaha no worries, that's what the beyond nonracist police is for :D

NOWHERE
12-04-2008, 10:24 AM
If you going to buy a car in edmonton.Just don't go to bavaria cuz their service department is horrible.I bought cars from both dealership before and i like edmonton bmw way better.

blinkme_210
12-04-2008, 11:47 PM

actually...

E90 325 (06) = 215 hp
E90 323 (06) = 174 hp
E90 323 (07+) = 200 hp

Haha, I was close. I don't care enough about the lower end of the range ones.

blownz
12-05-2008, 11:41 AM
^ does that mean you don't know how much hp your 530 has since it is one of "the lower end of the range ones". :poosie: :D

gran turismo
12-05-2008, 12:15 PM

I'm glad you've had good experiences with Edmonton BMW. I've had nothing but problems with their service department and the service manager. For everything I had fixed, a new problem was caused by the techs. I have no doubt the techs are solid mechanically, it's their "fit and finish" skills that need major work. The service manager agreed with me on this point as well. He informed me they have brought over an entirely new team of master techs from the Philippines who haven't really been pushed to "be careful" with the vehicles.

Needless to say, I will not be going back there for service any time soon.

Hakkola
12-05-2008, 07:42 PM
Once the alarm goes off I would book an appointment because loaner cars get booked up as well. I think they also give you a rental if all of there loaner fleet is out.

They don't, at least not in Calgary, instead you get a ride in one of their piece of shit Honda van shuttles, or a taxi vaucher if no honda shuttles are available.

That said, I was surprised by how good the service was yesterday.

mslbebiz
12-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Just a quick update:

I test drove a couple 3 series tonight, an '06 325 and an '05 325xi - that's what they had available in standard transmission cars at the time.

I wasn't even going to drive the '05 until after I drove the '06. I was pretty disappointed with the new 325, it was bland and very dull to drive. I know the 335 would be a different story, so we won't go there. It was very comfortable and a nice place to be - but way too laid back and just wasn't any fun.

After telling the salesman my thoughts I asked him which he preferred between the 2, and he said the '05's because they're more raw and visceral and more fun to drive. Naturally I was interested in that, so I drove the '05 next. It's true, it felt like a totally different car. Way more fun to drive and just seemed to fit better - like a good suit to use a lame analogy. It also felt smaller, and much nimbler. I preferred the interior as well.

So of the two I'm definitely liking the '05 models over the '06+. The 325xi I drove was even pretty quick, or at least felt that way. And I didn't expect that with only 184hp and AWD. I imagine the 330's would be a lot of fun, xi's or not.

Quick question for people that own or have owned a 325 and/or a 330: Is there a big difference between fuel consumption? I drive a ton for work and would possibly go for the 325 just for the savings on fuel if it was a large difference.

The sales person also mentioned $250 for maintenance every 24,000-ish km's, and $1,200 every 50,000 km. That sound about right? And is that big one covered with the 4 years free maintenance?

Thanks guys.

blinkme_210
12-06-2008, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by blownz
^ does that mean you don't know how much hp your 530 has since it is one of "the lower end of the range ones". :poosie: :D

Of the 3's that is :D They never interested me enough to look into them.

Bimmer88
12-06-2008, 02:03 AM
Oh and the stupid clutch delay... fucking hate that shit...

dimi
12-06-2008, 03:18 AM
I would check out a B7 A4 2.0T. It will be more powerful at this altitude, awesome AWD, good gas econ, and it looks sick IMO.

BlkWdwPrelude
12-06-2008, 04:13 AM
Just recently purchased an 03+ 330i with the performance package.

I would highly recommend trying out a 330 with the performance package.

Handles great and is a little bit different then all the other beemers out there.

Tanks about 63L and on a full tank with normal city driving would get about 600 + kms.

Hope that helps

cisco88
12-06-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by gran turismo

I'm glad you've had good experiences with Edmonton BMW. I've had nothing but problems with their service department and the service manager. For everything I had fixed, a new problem was caused by the techs. I have no doubt the techs are solid mechanically, it's their "fit and finish" skills that need major work. The service manager agreed with me on this point as well. He informed me they have brought over an entirely new team of master techs from the Philippines who haven't really been pushed to "be careful" with the vehicles.

Needless to say, I will not be going back there for service any time soon.

Wow, that sucks. I'm Filipino myself and I know that "attention to detail" doesn't bode well with my kind ;) .

Where else are you going to take you Mini?

gran turismo
12-06-2008, 01:26 PM

Wow, that sucks. I'm Filipino myself and I know that "attention to detail" doesn't bode well with my kind ;) .

Where else are you going to take you Mini?

There are some shops in Edmonton that will work on European cars. Karmac and Eurasia Auto are two of them. I'll do some more research to find more because I'm not convinced the techs at Eurasia know much about the Mini.

My car was in there regarding the problem that Edmonton BMW fixed, and Eurasia couldn't diagnose the problem. They hooked the car up to their computer and it produced no fault codes, so they were at a loss to what it could be, even though the climate control system was showing them a fault code. I actually knew more than they did via internet research. After their 10 minute diagnostic, they billed me $130.