PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Design University/College Programs

Baron O' Funk
12-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Does anyone have any information on or names of Schools that offer graphic design, mulitmedia communications type classes. Im looking for information on reputable programs and schools that maybe someone in the industry knows of or can steer me in the right direction. They dont necessarily have to be in Calgary, just looking for from industry insight.

So far I have looked at the programs offered by ACAD, and the diploma program from SAIT.

Thanks for your time guys.

van
12-03-2008, 08:08 AM
Alberta College of Art & Design aka ACAD (Calgary)
Art Institute of Vancouver

I wouldn't bother too much with the SAIT program it doesn't look that promising and looking at portfolios of those who graduate their programs it's nothing fancy.

I had a friend who went to Art Institute of Vancouver and was able to do some really cool design work and if I had the chance I would probably end up going there too.

Some friends of mine went to ACAD and they offer a very good program there as well and there is quite a bit of companies that favour ACAD graduates over other schools.

Ultimately though, it all boils down to how well your portfolio is and whether or not it makes an impact on the companies you are eventually going to be applying at.

DarkDream
12-03-2008, 11:57 PM
http://mdm.gnwc.ca/

But the entrance requirements are tough

JfuckinC
12-04-2008, 12:02 AM
MRC has a decent graphic design program, an old friend is finishing it up here soon and she seems to make some pretty cool stuff, ill ask her the name of it.

AG_Styles
12-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by DarkDream
http://mdm.gnwc.ca/

But the entrance requirements are tough

Just to note that this is a grad program.

ACAD and GNWC are recognized by Gamasutra. So your chances are a little bit (very little) higher if you wanted to aim towards a career in the games industry.

but what is important as most people have stated, is the strength and the look of your portfolio. Competition is always tough as an artist.