PDA

View Full Version : ATCO Structures lays off 400 Calgary workers

TACO.VIDAL
12-03-2008, 07:20 AM
ATCO Structures lays off 400 Calgary workers
Last Updated: Tuesday, December 2, 2008 | 9:08 PM ET
CBC News

About 400 people are out of work after Calgary-based ATCO Structures lost a contract to build a work camp for an oilsands mine north of Fort McMurray.

The contract to design, manufacture and install the camp for the Fort Hills Energy Limited Partnership project has been cancelled, the company said Tuesday.

"It was a 2,000-man camp and we had completed four dorms, 504 rooms. Petro-Canada announced the deferral of their Fort Hills project and advised us at this time, after the four dorms, we should stop," said Harry Wilmot, president and chief operating officer of ATCO Structures.

"Now we've got about two more weeks to finish this phase of it. It was a hard decision for us to make but we have given the plant workers notice to layoff because of this."

All 400 workers are based in Calgary, Wilmot told CBC News.

"With the recent reduction and current economic conditions, we had to make a business decision and it was a hard decision for us to make," he said.

Last month, the Fort Hills partnership, which includes Petro-Canada, Teck Cominco Ltd. and UTS Energy Corp., delayed a decision on the oilsands mine "until a cost estimate consistent with the current market environment [could] be established."

A decision is expected in the spring.

Jlude
12-03-2008, 09:08 AM
That's rough.

Anyone here affected by this?

01RedDX
12-03-2008, 09:10 AM

redx2nv
12-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Not by Atco, but by the petro project not going ahead. goddamn teck, why did you have to buy fording.

BananaFob
12-03-2008, 09:47 AM
Yeah, my girlfriend is in the purchasing department at Structures. She was told yesterday to not be surprised if they let her go within the next week.

Jlude
12-03-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by BananaFob
Yeah, my girlfriend is in the purchasing department at Structures. She was told yesterday to not be surprised if they let her go within the next week.

Shitty

That's a lot of people for one company in calgary to let go.

01RedDX
12-10-2008, 04:07 PM

blownz
12-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Calgary/Edmonton/Alberta still have pretty much the lowest unemployment levels in NA at around 3.5%.

It definitely sucks short term for your wife, but I don't think anyone should have much to worry about in AB. If you can't find a job in AB right now you are either a) being very picky or b) you are actually one of the worst 3.5% of the workforce.

I'm sure your wife won't have a problem. Hard as it may be, she should just try to relax and enjoy the extended Christmas holiday and then go hard in the new year. Hopefully the package will keep you guys from having to cut back too much over the holidays. Good luck to her. :thumbsup:

The Cosworth
12-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by blownz
Calgary/Edmonton/Alberta still have pretty much the lowest unemployment levels in NA at around 3.5%.

It definitely sucks short term for your wife, but I don't think anyone should have much to worry about in AB. If you can't find a job in AB right now you are either a) being very picky or b) you are actually one of the worst 3.5% of the workforce.

I'm sure your wife won't have a problem. Hard as it may be, she should just try to relax and enjoy the extended Christmas holiday and then go hard in the new year. Hopefully the package will keep you guys from having to cut back too much over the holidays. Good luck to her. :thumbsup:

Yeah I am with you blownz, the markets are slowly gaining ground again, I am getting more projects at work, things are going to work out okay.

Sorry to hear Red. Saw that coming though, you cant have admin staff if you dont have staff for them to administrate

01RedDX
12-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Xtrema
12-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Thanks, that's exactly what I said to her too.

Yeah, we'll survive, at least there no more stressing over whether it's going to happen or not.

Good luck and don't stress over it over the holidays.

sputnik
12-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX

Thanks, that's exactly what I said to her too.

Yeah, we'll survive, at least there no more stressing over whether it's going to happen or not.

What industry/position was she in?

01RedDX
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM

The Cosworth
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

What industry/position was she in?

read the news article at the top?