PDA

View Full Version : Air Canada

chathamf
12-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Hey,

I am having an interview with Air Canada sometime this week for a ramp agent position.

Just wondering if anyone else has any experience working for them and could give me an idea of what kind of a work environment it will be, perks, etc.

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Rat Fink
12-03-2008, 10:44 PM

71/454
12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Honestly, Air Canada ramp rats were pretty lazy compared to other groups out there. Back when I worked at the airport the AC guys were allowed to let the plane sit out on the ramp waiting to come to the gate if it was a few minutes early. The ramp guys would be sitting inside with their thumbs up their asses until the scheduled arrival time when they would go outside and wave the plane in. That didn't happen with other groups. If the plane came in early, you brought them into the gate early. All part of the unionized bullshit I guess. There was numerous occasions where I saw planes sitting on the ramp with engines running for 15 minutes or more while the ramp guys were inside at the gate just dicking around!

This guy must have been drinking the Westjet kool-aid. Have you got any idea what it costs to have a jet sit at the gate running per minute? I'll give you a hint, fuel is the smallest cost. So no, it's not some union B.S. to let an A/C sit at the gate, the crew was probably working another flight when the second one rolled in.
Don't believe all the B.S. you hear. Show up for work on time, work hard, and don't run your mouth. For some reason the lazy, yappy new guys never seem to last. It's a good job, with a great group of people. Just don't believe Rat Fink's "I heard from a guy" bull and you will do fine.

revelations
12-03-2008, 11:29 PM
--

(read OPs post wrong, thought he was talking about station attendants, ie bag smasher)

71/454
12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
He was. Ramp agent is what they advertise it as, it's still the station attendant job.
How did the interview go?

chathamf
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM
Went good. Pretty much guaranteed the job as long as a pass a physical/drug test sort of thing tomorrow. Seems like it could be an alrite gig, immediate travel and health benefits FTW.

$lick_rYz
12-05-2008, 11:14 PM
how much is the pay?

chathamf
12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
Pay isn't great. Just $15 something to start I believe.

pegasus
12-07-2008, 10:07 AM
What kinda benefits do you get? Like Air travel wise... Discounts?

chathamf
12-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Pretty much have to just pay for the taxes on the flights. I think I priced a flight from here to Sydney, NS for about forty bucks. Travel and health benefits start immediately as of your first day of work as well.

A790
12-07-2008, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by chathamf
Pretty much have to just pay for the taxes on the flights. I think I priced a flight from here to Sydney, NS for about forty bucks. Travel and health benefits start immediately as of your first day of work as well.
That's a sweet deal man :D

5fivespeed
12-07-2008, 10:50 PM
That's awsome! You make about as much as I do - and I'm an AME Apprentice haha.

revelations
12-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by 5fivespeed
That's awsome! You make about as much as I do - and I'm an AME Apprentice haha.

Thats scary... and one of the biggest reasons I left the aircraft biz.

5fivespeed
12-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Thats scary... and one of the biggest reasons I left the aircraft biz.

Depends where you go IMO. I'm just starting out in a smaller company (CMA) and the learning experience is way out there so the lower pay is okay (I'm 19). I expect to be payed with hardwork and time -- I'm also an apprentice at the moment, so it works in a way.

Learning is the best asset at this point, and I love it.

Jlude
12-09-2008, 09:57 PM
That's awesome.... don't know what your hours will be like, but you could go somewhere amazing every weekend, provided you're working mon-friday.

n1zm0
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Depends where you go IMO. I'm just starting out in a smaller company (CMA) and the learning experience is way out there so the lower pay is okay (I'm 19). I expect to be payed with hardwork and time -- I'm also an apprentice at the moment, so it works in a way.

CMA? which AMO is that?

i'm an apprentice AME/PRM for a new AMO @ an FTU, industry standard pay does really differ from business to business i guess, knowledge and getting your log book filled out is slightly more important IMO than $ atm.

I've been doing this since graduating this year in April from SAIT and have at least 40% of the book filled out already (ya 7 months, thats how busy we are with a fleet of 13 @ an FTU), other things i just have to wait till the inspection comes around/it fails or when the component is time x'd. Learning is everyday, as i have 2 M2s to sign my logbook, Avnx and Maintenance. Lucky i found this job..

OP. to be a ramp rat for an airline has it's benefits like you already know, welcome to the industry!, you'll hear some of the craziest/hilarious jokes about the ppl that make up this industry. Meet some of the most hardworking, dependable (unfortunately sometimes opposite) people you'll ever meet. You'll learn great nicknames like chief cookie pusher etc :thumbsup:

Lanks
12-10-2008, 12:27 AM
^CMA=central mountain air

revelations
12-10-2008, 12:34 AM

I dont mean to sound overly negative, but the industry attracts people who have a passion for the job as they can pay you a lot less than you think you are worth.

However if you have a good shop with good people and work, the money isnt AS important.

I started at age 21 as a (graduated) turbine tech working in a PT6 OH shop making 14/hr - the same as a leaf blower would- and I thought too that it would get better.

After 3 years, and 18/hr (same as people working in a glass shop or pounding nails), I left for AirCanada to work on the heavy iron - and 22/hr wages - which was less than some of the bag smasher were making :dunno:

Then they shut down AC Tech Ops in Vancouver and laid off a good 1000 people = good bye career #1

n1zm0
12-10-2008, 09:01 AM
Yeah shop labour rates are not what they should be at some places, lower than automotive in some instances, but it's true, it's the passion for aviation moreso.. Plus airplanes are cleaner to work on by far, i mean half the fken work is cleaning it up to inspect the damn thing.

Originally posted by Lanks
^CMA=central mountain air

oh nice, 1900Ds to your heart's content! don't they run 15ish of them, more than enough PT6 experience.

5fivespeed
12-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by n1zm0
Yeah shop labour rates are not what they should be at some places, lower than automotive in some instances, but it's true, it's the passion for aviation moreso.. Plus airplanes are cleaner to work on by far, i mean half the fken work is cleaning it up to inspect the damn thing.

oh nice, 1900Ds to your heart's content! don't they run 15ish of them, more than enough PT6 experience.

Yep, 1900D's with PT-6's. Also 2 Dornier 328's which are god like. Just immense with a 6 bladed prop. I'm graduating from SAIT in 4 months! CMA = Central Mountain Air. I actually get to work on the aircrafts, do routine maintinance as well as inspections and all. Alot of guys working during school from what I've heard did "Hangar Cleanup, Painting Trays and just inspections." (Inspections are the critical important part).

I get what you're saying @ Passion vs. Lower Pay. The way I look at it, and have planned is to open a business on the side as well. In Calgary IMO, you can't move up much into Aviation Field, that's why I'm moving to Australia to somehow get A380 experience. That won't happen fast, it'll take at least 10 years. But one day i'll service that Trent 900.

5fivespeed
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM

I've been doing this since graduating this year in April from SAIT

Wait wait, who are you? What do you drive? I'm in the lot with the Black AE86.

revelations
12-10-2008, 10:04 AM
In Calgary IMO, you can't move up much into Aviation Field, that's why I'm moving to Australia to somehow get A380 experience. That won't happen fast, it'll take at least 10 years. But one day i'll service that Trent 900.

Believe me (after working on CF6-80s) its worth the effort.

n1zm0
12-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Wait wait, who are you? What do you drive? I'm in the lot with the Black AE86.

i already graduated when you were probably a 1st year, i have a blue 240 which i never brought to school at all for 2nd semester because of the handful of douchebags i refuse to park next to, let alone let my car be parked next to them.
Parked sideways in the back, like as if it was the NOPI nationals :banghead: lol your 86 used to be silver ya? i think i remember you.

drove my white DA9 all year, shit i gotta go back there to get my logbook signed up. I heard that all your apprentice work during school doesn't count at all towards your logbook.

5fivespeed
12-10-2008, 11:40 AM

i already graduated when you were probably a 1st year, i have a blue 240 which i never brought to school at all for 2nd semester because of the handful of douchebags i refuse to park next to, let alone let my car be parked next to them.
Parked sideways in the back, like as if it was the NOPI nationals :banghead: lol your 86 used to be silver ya? i think i remember you.

drove my white DA9 all year, shit i gotta go back there to get my logbook signed up. I heard that all your apprentice work during school doesn't count at all towards your logbook.

Yep, was silver with a black hood. It wasn't the one angle parked w/ spokes.

oster
12-10-2008, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have any tips on how to get this position with an airline? I have been applying for the last couple of months and haven’t heard anything back.

I do have experience in the field, I currently have about 30 hrs towards my PPL, and I also have worked around twin otters and helicopters in the past. It seems as the only way to apply for this position is online and they do not welcome visits to any office to drop off a resume or meet in person.

I have applied at all the major airlines and have just began applying to smaller charter companies, CMA, Sunwest, North Caribou Air ect. Any tips would be appreciated.

5fivespeed
12-10-2008, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by oster
Does anyone have any tips on how to get this position with an airline? I have been applying for the last couple of months and haven’t heard anything back.

I do have experience in the field, I currently have about 30 hrs towards my PPL, and I also have worked around twin otters and helicopters in the past. It seems as the only way to apply for this position is online and they do not welcome visits to any office to drop off a resume or meet in person.

I have applied at all the major airlines and have just began applying to smaller charter companies, CMA, Sunwest, North Caribou Air ect. Any tips would be appreciated.

I think larger Airlines wants you to have alot of turbine + for example (I've heard this, not confirmed: For example: Westjet needs approx. 6 months 737 experience before they hire you). I work @ CMA, I believe they are looking for full time at the moment.

oster
12-10-2008, 12:40 PM
From what I have read on all the qualifications, there is really no exp. needed. And I know with Westjet they put ou through a 2 week 'paid' training course before you even start.

Do you think it would be a good idea to stop in a drop off my resume? When is the slower time of day?

n1zm0
12-10-2008, 01:10 PM
you looking for an AME job, rampy or pilot?

AME, look for a charter operating piston and turbines, you'll get exposure to both and get an M2.

kapow! (http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7) lol, this is all you'll need, just keep looking, its how i found my job.

oster
12-10-2008, 01:39 PM
Im looking for a ramp job with a company I can move up with, and eventually fly for. Ive been trying to get in with Kenn Borek because I would love to build up my flying time working in the Maldives. But right now I am really just looking for anything to get my foot in the door.

n1zm0
12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
avcanada.ca mang :thumbsup:

but you said you want to eventually fly for them, you should try for a job at an FTU, that way you ramp it for the daytime then after work get more flying hours in your log book

revelations
12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Im looking for a ramp job with a company I can move up with, and eventually fly for. Ive been trying to get in with Kenn Borek because I would love to build up my flying time working in the Maldives. But right now I am really just looking for anything to get my foot in the door.

Try (Bill) Jackson air services....

chathamf
12-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Try WestJet right now. Apply online. A buddy of mine applied a few weeks ago and they have been calling him every day trying to get him to come in. I think Air Canada does hiring once a month or so. AC put's you through a 1month training program.

oster
12-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Checked out the job listings on avcanada only found a couple Ramp agent positions, one with CMA and sent my cover letter and resume via e-mail, hopfully I hear back from them... What is FTU? thanks for the help n1zm0.

Correct me if im wrong but is Jackson Air Services not located in Flin Flon, Ont.?

And I just set up a second email so I could send my resume again, revised my cover letter, and applied at both Canadian and Westjet. See what happenes now...

I feel that I am more then quailified to work this position, Im almost done my PPL, worked around twin otters in the past, have a good understanding of what they do and am really eager to be apart of the airline industry. Guess I'll have to wait and see, thanks for the help!

revelations
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM

Correct me if im wrong but is Jackson Air Services not located in Flin Flon, Ont.?

Based out of, yes..... but I believe they do work in the Maldives as well with floating twin otters.

jutes
12-11-2008, 01:15 AM
For all you AME apprentices that want an actual salary after your training:

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=514&bhcp=1

n1zm0
12-11-2008, 09:05 AM
What is FTU?

Flight Training Unit read C.A.Rs 406 if you're really interested :D

We have about 3 ramprats all pilots who do ramp then fly after work to get their hours up or become instructors.

Also if your in love with Twatters check out Rocky Mountain Aircraft, they run some of them along with some Beech stuff.
They are out here at CYBW tho, so idk if thats too far for you.

Originally posted by jutes
For all you AME apprentices that want an actual salary after your training:

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=514&bhcp=1

I've heard good and bad about the airforce/army for AMEs from a 'AVN TECH' who worked CF-18s in Cold Lake, like they don't have to abide by GA laws etc, but you get to work on some cool shit, money isn't ever a problem too i heard, engine time x'd? they have 5 of them on in the warehouse ready for install in a day :eek:

revelations
12-11-2008, 10:10 AM
I've heard good and bad about the airforce/army for AMEs from a 'AVN TECH' who worked CF-18s in Cold Lake, like they don't have to abide by GA laws etc, but you get to work on some cool shit, money isn't ever a problem too i heard, engine time x'd? they have 5 of them on in the warehouse ready for install in a day :eek:

Would this be the same tech force that chose to media clean the first stage compressor blades of the CF-18 engine with the wrong media (walnut instead of plastic beads or something to that effect) and ended up costing the tax payers millions :burnout:

n1zm0
12-11-2008, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by revelations

Would this be the same tech force that chose to media clean the first stage compressor blades of the CF-18 engine with the wrong media (walnut instead of plastic beads or something to that effect) and ended up costing the tax payers millions :burnout:

lol exactly what i meant by they dont have to abide by GA laws, fk i'll bet you the Maintenance Manual and STD practices are the crew chief standing on a lift picking his ass yelling through a megaphone :nut:

link to the true story?

jutes
12-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Edit