PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car out of town, driving it home

wtb
12-03-2008, 08:52 PM
What is the proper way to do this? in regards to license plates, insurance etc...

Sorry if there is a thread for this, i searched but couldn't find one.

Help me out! thanks

Isaiah
12-03-2008, 08:55 PM
You can drive it "in transit" back to your home without plates so long as it's displayed on your windshield. As far as insurance, call your rep for details.

wtb
12-03-2008, 08:57 PM
thanks for the reply, "in transit"

is there any special way to display this? will a marker and lined paper do? haha

nbaker00
12-03-2008, 09:01 PM
It is an actual sticker that the dealership/registry will give you that says "In Transit"

Team_Mclaren
12-03-2008, 09:04 PM
1. get insurance from your insurance co.
2. take your insurance slip (even just a temp one), ask for an in-transit permit at the registry.
3. pay 20 bucks
4. done

funkedelic2
12-03-2008, 09:05 PM
I think you are suposse to put it some where on your windshield. Thats what i was told?

I think if you have insurance on another car, you can use your plate from that vehicle (assuming it is properly registered and insured) and if you were to get pulled over just tell them you just bought the car. Shouldn't have any issues with doing that.

Kloubek
12-03-2008, 09:06 PM
My understanding is that you can drive it for up to 10 or 12 days with the previous plate? I'm not how insurance would react if you got in an accident though...

ercchry
12-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
I think you are suposse to put it some where on your windshield. Thats what i was told?

I think if you have insurance on another car, you can use your plate from that vehicle (assuming it is properly registered and insured) and if you were to get pulled over just tell them you just bought the car. Shouldn't have any issues with doing that.

you can have LARGE issues if you do that for insurance... call your insurance company, that would be best.

and for in transit sticker... what is the point if you have to have insurance already? might as well just register it at the same time?

Isaiah
12-03-2008, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

and for in transit sticker... what is the point if you have to have insurance already?
You can't register out of province.

Deetz
12-03-2008, 09:14 PM
If your going longer distances, consider checking and/or changing the fluids as well.

ercchry
12-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

You can't register out of province.

thanks... but he just said out of town :thumbsup:

wtb
12-03-2008, 09:45 PM
thanks for the reply guys! looks like i am calling my insurance company and then getting an in-transit pass!

wtb
12-03-2008, 09:46 PM
and yes im just buying from calgary and bringing it back to edmonton, shouldnt be bad

edmonton has a crappy car market right now

ercchry
12-03-2008, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by wtb
and yes im just buying from calgary and bringing it back to edmonton, shouldnt be bad

edmonton has a crappy car market right now

the way i would do it is like this:

- get vin number, run it make sure it is clean
- call insurance tell them you just BOUGHT a car, get insurance
- drive to calgary
- check car out, take it for an inspection
- if it checks out buy it
- go to registry, register it
- go and get a oil change
- drive home

if it doesnt work out, just call up insurance when they are open and take it off of the car