PDA

View Full Version : Best Insurance Company

Civic Dy-lon
12-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Just wondering what everyones favourite insurance company is for modified cars? My insurance company now says after 2 years that they wont insure me because my car has exhaust and is lowered.. any suggestions??

Ukyo8
12-04-2008, 01:42 PM
TD

GiangZilla
12-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Last time I checked only a feww companies sell insurance to people that modify their cars. And IIRC they all sell a goverment regulated insurance called nordic I believe and no matter where you go its all that same price.

Wehbeast
12-04-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Ukyo8
TD

FTMFW

flipstah
12-04-2008, 01:49 PM
What about State Farm? We have State Farm Insurance for our cars and house & and we've been happy ever since!

Civic Dy-lon
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Ive heard TD before but last time just to get a quote they had to mail out a sheet to fill out that took two weeks then i would of had to send it back, donno if im getting a policy that i have to do that as well..

buh_buh
12-04-2008, 02:25 PM
TD offers an online quote or call them to get a quote.

CausalInfluence
12-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Melcloche and monnex.

Tik-Tok
12-04-2008, 02:37 PM
TD Meloche Monnex, NOT TD Canada Trust. Run as 2 separate companies Meloche kicks ass, Canada Trust sucks balls. (IMO, mind you the last time I dealt with Canada trust was YEARs ago, so they may be better now)

Civic Dy-lon
12-04-2008, 04:35 PM
oh so theres two TD's..

Preslow
12-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Wawanessa. Amazing, i switched cars 4 times a year with them, modified or not and they don't even take a look at the cars, plus their rates are so cheap and the people are great!

ralliart_girl
12-04-2008, 04:42 PM
I know that TD Meloche Monnex will not take you if you had any hp upgrades/engine swaps..but small things like exhaust and lowered...I'm not sure.

403Gemini
12-04-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
TD Meloche Monnex, NOT TD Canada Trust. Run as 2 separate companies Meloche kicks ass, Canada Trust sucks balls. (IMO, mind you the last time I dealt with Canada trust was YEARs ago, so they may be better now)

Actually, TD Canada trust is just a bank... not insurance

TD Meloche Monnex is strictly insurance.

Tik-Tok
12-04-2008, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Actually, TD Canada trust is just a bank... not insurance

TD Meloche Monnex is strictly insurance.

Who am I thinking of then? Before, years back I had insurance through TD, but it wasn't Meloche Monnex, and I hated whoever it was (I used Canada Trust, because it came up as a google find, and I couldn't remember who it was, just that they had ties to TD)

edit: fuck, now it's gonna bug me, like a song name you can't remember, I'll have to dig through my old paperwork and find who it was.

ralliart_girl
12-04-2008, 04:59 PM
I think a while back TD insurance use to roll by itself...and Meloche Monnex run with Security National...and one day it became the same.

403Gemini
12-04-2008, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
I think a while back TD insurance use to roll by itself...and Meloche Monnex run with Security National...and one day it became the same.

^^ This lol

ralliart_girl
12-04-2008, 05:06 PM

^^ This lol

what? ;)

403Gemini
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM

what? ;)

You're info is correct

Masked Bandit
12-05-2008, 09:22 AM

You're info is correct

Not quite.

There is both.

Meloche Monnex (Security National) is the group / preferred client side.

TD Home & Auto is the retail name of the division for the regular Joe.

They both currently exist (for now anyway). I don't think Meloche Monnex would ever go anywhere but the banks (TD, Royal, Scotiabank) tried retail insurance once before and they all ran away for a few years. TD and Royal are back but Scotiabank gave up for good.

LilDrunkenSmurf
12-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I have a cheaper rate with TD over Meloche. I think it's because when I started the account, I had transfered ownership from my parents, who had TD insurance. If I had an ASET membership, then Meloche would be cheaper.

403Gemini
12-05-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Not quite.

There is both.

Meloche Monnex (Security National) is the group / preferred client side.

TD Home & Auto is the retail name of the division for the regular Joe.

They both currently exist (for now anyway). I don't think Meloche Monnex would ever go anywhere but the banks (TD, Royal, Scotiabank) tried retail insurance once before and they all ran away for a few years. TD and Royal are back but Scotiabank gave up for good.

Look at that, even i get schooled! ;)

Both have the same ph# unless you're calling Primmum though.

Masked Bandit
12-05-2008, 11:50 AM
I even forgot about Primmum. That's their third arm/division

403Gemini
12-05-2008, 01:24 PM

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

lol

bulaian
12-05-2008, 01:33 PM
i use meloche, no complaints so far

Masked Bandit
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM

http://mfrost.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/05/29/the_more_you_know2.jpg

lol

This isn't the only forum I've seen that thing on lately. Is it the next big deal?

dj_honda
12-05-2008, 03:00 PM
I know that TD Meloche Monnex will not take you if you had any hp upgrades/engine swaps..but small things like exhaust and lowered...I'm not sure.

which company will ?

Zewind
12-05-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

which company will ?

Not Many copmanies will take cars that have had engine modifications to increase your hp. Try ING, if they wont you looking at Nordic or Kingsway. And those 2 companies are Facility.

ralliart_girl
12-05-2008, 03:11 PM

me too! LOL

saiyajin
12-05-2008, 03:22 PM
what about morgex werent they also TD? :dunno:

ShermanEF9
12-05-2008, 03:26 PM
i go through bell davidson. they are pretty deece.

dj_honda
12-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Zewind

Not Many copmanies will take cars that have had engine modifications to increase your hp. Try ING, if they wont you looking at Nordic or Kingsway. And those 2 companies are Facility.

thanks. so what is a "facility" company?

what happens when a company finds out you have mods?

im getting older and less reckless here lol, and so i know i will always modify my vehicles, might as well do it legit :burnout:

i'm sure a lot of the older guys who come race on fridays at secret street have legit insurane on their modified cars.

buh_buh
12-05-2008, 03:49 PM
Nordic is a fucking ripoff.
My incompetent broker has had me on Nordic the last 3 years when I haven't had to, and my quote from TD was 1/4 of what I've been paying at Nordic. Needless to say I'm making the switch.

403Gemini
12-05-2008, 03:53 PM

This isn't the only forum I've seen that thing on lately. Is it the next big deal?

Haha no sir I toss that out every now and again!

three.eighteen.
12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by dj_honda

thanks. so what is a "facility" company?

what happens when a company finds out you have mods?

im getting older and less reckless here lol, and so i know i will always modify my vehicles, might as well do it legit :burnout:

i'm sure a lot of the older guys who come race on fridays at secret street have legit insurane on their modified cars.

facility insurance is or the residual or substandard market, ie people who can't get insurance elsewhere because they are high risk

it usually includes bad drivers and recreational vehicles like sportbikes, dirtbikes, atvs or people learning to ride without class 6 licences, essentially anything normal insurance companies would say no to

all canadian insurers iirc are obligated to offer a facility line of insurance which is regulated through the facility association, so all facility rates are the same, in fact you can look at the facility association manual on the internet in pdf if you want www.facilityassociation.com , somewhere in there is the definition as to what modifications will place you in the residual market

buh_buh, your broker is a fool like 90% of them, retard brokers will send you to facility if they are too lazy to actually try to find you a good rate

buh_buh
12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.

buh_buh, your broker is a fool like 90% of them, retard brokers will send you to facility if they are too lazy to actually try to find you a good rate I always thought the reason people even went to brokers were because they were good at finding good rates. But I guess everyone's just out to make a buck :thumbsdow

szw
12-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Cheapest rate by far was belairdirect for me. They were really accomodating but they don't take kindly to modified vehicles. I have an acura and they had me go in for an inspection to see if anything was modded.

Masked Bandit
12-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I always thought the reason people even went to brokers were because they were good at finding good rates. But I guess everyone's just out to make a buck :thumbsdow

Something doesn't make sense here. To be insured with Facility (Nordic is the most common face of Facililty) there are certain things that MUST be on your record (five or more tickets in the past three years, three or more accidents in the past six years, an Impaired in the past three years.....shit like that). There are also a few other things that will kick you over there....

- if you owe money to any other insurance company
- if your vehicle is modified (there is a list of predetermined mods that qualify....or more like disqualify you).

If we (brokers) try to put you with Nordic WITHOUT triggering one of those specific things, the application is rejected. A broker CAN'T put you with Nordic unless there is something from the above list. I'm guessing something has just changed in / on your record that now makes you eligible for the regular market.

Does that make sense?

Tik-Tok
12-05-2008, 07:43 PM

Haha no sir I toss that out every now and again!

Bah, you stole it from me, from months back, lol.

94boosted
12-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm am member of ASET so I have the option of going to Meloche Monnex so I called for a quote and it's exactly the same as with TD.

PS: When I had a very heavily modified Talon I was insured with TD and they treated me great and all they asked for was a used car inspection when they found out just how modified the car was. ;)

theken
12-05-2008, 09:37 PM
TD was 60 bucks more a month then i get through diamond

jwslam
12-05-2008, 11:08 PM
get free quotes at http://kanetix.ca

schocker
12-05-2008, 11:28 PM
I enjoy the kanetix quotes, $3900-$5900/yr with $1000/$1000 :rofl:

I have my policy with pc financial insurance, they are pretty good, good price, easy to get ahold of even though they are not really local.

Tilly
12-07-2008, 08:23 PM
primmum may not cover my present claim because i have a sport steering wheel. fuckers.

rockanrepublic
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by CausalInfluence
Melcloche and monnex.
i absolutely hate them and would never want to deal with them again there scum IMO tried to charge me multiple times after my plan was canceled.

gpomp
12-07-2008, 09:32 PM
http://www.melochemonnex.com/

Dumbass17
12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
i'm thru diamond insurance on bow bottom trail cuz i had my bike insured through them. but now that i only drive a shitty sunfire i think i need to shop for something even cheaper haha

flipstah
10-11-2012, 11:17 AM

Bumping to confirm if this is still true.

Also, I am hurtin' for some cheaper insurance. Just called TD Meloche for a policy upgrade:

- Added my brother as a secondary driver for my Outlander
- Comprehensive and collision coverage for two vehicles
- Alumni discount (UofC from me)
- Both are <25 years old

Total: $445/month

Abeo
10-11-2012, 11:27 AM
I left TD MM after years with them, they were jerking me around and turns out were not giving me a good price either.

I'm really happy with Bill at Touchstone (Masked Bandit)

Chester
10-11-2012, 11:35 AM
I'm with TD MM and have been with them for 9 years. After this last claim I'll be changing companies. I've received the worst customer service from those fuckers for the past 4 years.

Palmiros
10-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Chester
I'm with TD MM and have been with them for 9 years. After this last claim I'll be changing companies. I've received the worst customer service from those fuckers for the past 4 years.

I'm with Intact Insurance; so far so good.

lasimmon
10-11-2012, 11:42 AM
I'm with TD MM. Been really good to me for the last 6 years.

$1100 for a 2008 SUV while below 25 works for me.

A790
10-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Masked Bandit w/ TouchStone Insurance. </thread>

SIR_EP3
10-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I'm with TD Canada Trust right now.
I'm 22 paying $123/month which covers both my Ep3 and my Eg.

trevh
10-11-2012, 02:57 PM
TD, two houses two cars 185/ mo

flipstah
10-11-2012, 03:02 PM
For the people quoting their Meloche Monnex rates, are those comprehensive coverage? Full coverage? Or bare minimum?

trevh
10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
For the people quoting their Meloche Monnex rates, are those comprehensive coverage? Full coverage? Or bare minimum?

Full Coverage on everything. Deductible @1000

flipstah
10-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by trevh

Full Coverage on everything. Deductible @1000

Ah but you have the houses too. That's a sweet discount. :)

flipstah
10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Forgot to mention. The quote that I have INCLUDES collision coverage for both vehicles.

I wonder if I should just take that off for the old car... But it's not THAT old (2004 Mitsubishi Outlander).

guessboi
10-11-2012, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by flipstah
Forgot to mention. The quote that I have INCLUDES collision coverage for both vehicles.

I wonder if I should just take that off for the old car... But it's not THAT old (2004 Mitsubishi Outlander).

Really depends for your situation...check how much the collision coverage is for the outlander and decide.

stujew
10-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I would definitely recommend Wawanesa. I'm 23 and have 3 vehicles insured with them, costs me $70 a month. I've had several modified vehicles throughout the years and they have never said anything about them, nor have I had to provide a mechanical inspection for any of them except my first car (and I'm on car #12 now). I wrote off my '67 Chrysler last year by hitting a deer and they were great to deal with.

corsvette
10-12-2012, 12:52 PM

10 yrs for me with TD. Man, glad I'm not alone with being jerked around by them. There is nobody within that company that will return a phone call or an email. My adjuster has been absolutely useless. I can't believe my claim has not been settled yet, my trucks damage happened before the August hail. 2 weeks ago they told me my cheque was issued on September 13, Yesterday after spending an hour playing phone jamba they tell me cheque had been rejected by a manager. :banghead: :whipped:

guessboi
10-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I can never get through calling TD MM.
Their wait time is just crazy. I get pissed every time and hanged up. lol. :guns:

bourge73
10-12-2012, 04:28 PM
6 yrs with RBC, happy with their prices, service, and they are very easy to get ahold of. Had one claim for PDR and it was painless.

Chester
10-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I dropped my car off for PDR 3 weeks ago and the estimated time for repair was 5 days!!! Impossible to talk to anyone at TD and the body shop is useless.

guessboi
10-16-2012, 12:11 PM
I dropped my car off for PDR 3 weeks ago and the estimated time for repair was 5 days!!! Impossible to talk to anyone at TD and the body shop is useless.

Do you at least have a rental?

sxtasy
10-16-2012, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by A790
Masked Bandit w/ TouchStone Insurance. &lt;/thread&gt;
:werd: Spoke with him today regarding a new policy, quick service and he definitely knows his industry, I'm not even going to shop for prices.

94boosted
10-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Lots of hating on TD MM :dunno:

I've been with them for years now and I like them a lot, great rates (<25 Corvette full insurance w/ low deductibles + House = $170/mo) and thus far the service has been quite good as well. I recently had to make a Hit & Run Claim as some ass hole scraped my car when parked and didn't leave a note :whipped: so we'll see if the rates go up at renewal.

HiTempguy1
10-19-2012, 01:02 PM
AMA doesn't require insurance inspections for members in good standing anymore. Every vehicle I own is usually older than 12 years, so this has become a god send. Pricing is reasonable, even with ASET membership @ TD MM I don't get as good a deal :dunno: Plus it's nice just being able to walk in there at anytime with questions, do your business in person, and leave. Putting insurance on a car on a Saturday is huge for me!

Graham_A_M
10-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Lots of hating on TD MM :dunno:

I've been with them for years now and I like them a lot, great rates (&lt;25 Corvette full insurance w/ low deductibles + House = $170/mo) and thus far the service has been quite good as well. I recently had to make a Hit &amp; Run Claim as some ass hole scraped my car when parked and didn't leave a note :whipped: so we'll see if the rates go up at renewal.

I used to be TD meloche monnex for years as well. I found a company (lungren & young, or www.landy.ca) that could insure me for 30% cheaper so I switched. I've been very happy ever since. I found TD have very high premiums. I called them a month ago since I wanted to consolidate all my cars , trucks and bikes under one provider, and was quoted a rate literally double what Touchstone insurance quoted.

I'm now with touch stone, and quite happy. I pay 450/year for liability on my other truck and $700/year full coverage on my daily driver car.
Can't beat those rates. They really know their stuff as well. You should give me a call, seriously. ;)

KRyn
10-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy

:werd: Spoke with him today regarding a new policy, quick service and he definitely knows his industry, I'm not even going to shop for prices.

Same here, I didn't bother shopping around either. Dealing with Masked Bandit was a real breeze. Great guy and awesome rates. I couldn't believe the price he quoted me on my car, I had to ask three times to make sure I was hearing him correctly.