PDA

View Full Version : How to ask to move positions in a company

2.2vtec
12-04-2008, 09:37 PM
I'm currently working in an accounting position in related oil and gas company (pipelines/transportation) but I feel like accounting is just not for me. The overtime and all the reconcilations just don't appeal to me. I majored in finance and not accounting and the company always promotes movement within the company. What is a professional way to mention to my manager that I would like to switch gears to more of a finance role?

WWJAI
12-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Mind sharing where you work? I'll gladly take your job as i'm looking for an accounting position.

Amysicle
12-04-2008, 10:24 PM
How often do you do reviews or discuss career goals with your manager?

Maybe let them know that you're feeling a bit burnt out doing this but you love working at ZYX company and that you're interested in a position more related to your schooling with ZYX company and is willing to work towards it by taking on more responsibilities related to what you want to do. It also really helps if there's a position open to where you want to move to.

revelations
12-04-2008, 10:50 PM
The ones who are most likely to get a lateral (IMO) are the ones who have a specific role/postion picked out and are working towards that goal.

For example, if you want to be a financial advisor, you would have all the necessary background - or at least know what you need to learn - ready with your visit to your HR rep or manager. The more specifics you are armed with for the meeting, the better.

People who say "I just know I want something different" are leaving too much to HR to figure out..... (although I realize you arent saying that directly).

rizfarmer
12-05-2008, 12:03 AM
there has to be somewhere for you to move before you can move there. You most likely see the postings before the public or know about vacancies in a more finance related role. If there is a position available then apply for it through the appropriate channel. However, if you know that there is no where else to go in the company because of downsizing or no other openings then your only choice is to look outside of the company.

2.2vtec
12-05-2008, 07:26 AM
I know the company is not downsizing and sometimes positions open up without anyone knowing so I just wanted to let my manager know so that if he hears about anything he can keep me in mind.

2.2vtec
12-05-2008, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Amysicle
How often do you do reviews or discuss career goals with your manager?

Maybe let them know that you're feeling a bit burnt out doing this but you love working at ZYX company and that you're interested in a position more related to your schooling with ZYX company and is willing to work towards it by taking on more responsibilities related to what you want to do. It also really helps if there's a position open to where you want to move to.

We do reviews at the end of year so its coming up pretty quick. I'm afraid of asking because I'm worried that my manager might take offence to it??:dunno:

Isaiah
12-05-2008, 07:41 AM
Your manager might take offense? No, that's not how things work in adult land. Don't ask, don't get. It's as simple as that. As previously mentioned, research a specific job in the company that you actually want, then approach your manager or HR manager if there is one and sell yourself into the role.

yue
12-05-2008, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by 2.2vtec

We do reviews at the end of year so its coming up pretty quick. I'm afraid of asking because I'm worried that my manager might take offence to it??:dunno:

1) if your manager gets pissed off and it affects your professional relationship with him/her you need to find a new company
2) don't ask, tell! but first you need to JUSTIFY all your reasons for doing so.
3) ask for the specific time it will take them to review your request and ask them about it when that time comes. if you are rejected ask for FULL details as to why and what requirements they are seeking in xxx position.
4) if you're still there after fulfilling all their requirements and they still reject you quit or accept the fact that you're a grunt.

Supa Dexta
12-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Isaiah
Your manager might take offense? No, that's not how things work in adult land. Don't ask, don't get. It's as simple as that. As previously mentioned, research a specific job in the company that you actually want, then approach your manager or HR manager if there is one and sell yourself into the role.

Word, man up and ask to talk to them. Explain how you feel and why you think you'd be better suited elsewhere. It really is that simple.

2.2vtec
12-05-2008, 10:15 AM
Thanks for advise guys I'll keep you all posted on what happens in the new year. How do you accountants do it ?

Amysicle
12-05-2008, 09:40 PM
We do reviews at the end of year so its coming up pretty quick. I'm afraid of asking because I'm worried that my manager might take offence to it??:dunno: Some managers might but then they're not very good managers at all. You mentioned in your first post that your company promotes movement within the company so I would think your manager would know how to deal with this in a rational way.

Just tell your manager that although you're not unhappy with your position, you want to move into a finance related position at your company (or if there is an actual position open, use that) and ask them how you work towards that career goal because you still want to be at the company. I think your boss would be more offended if you applied for a position within your company without telling them about it and then they're out an employee without notice. At least by letting them know, your manager could keep an ear open for you and it's not a big shock when you move over.

Any good company will encourage personal and career development if the employee is worth investing in. Their options are to a) work with you towards your career goals as long as it still follows the company focus; b) deny you the opportunity to grow and you'll grow to resent the company and be less productive; or c) deny you the opportunity to grow and you leave to work elsewhere.

ee2k
12-07-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks for advise guys I'll keep you all posted on what happens in the new year. How do you accountants do it ?

When you have your year end review, just tell your manager that you want to learn about other aspects of the business, and if there was any job rotation type of policy that exists within. And if not, if you can either take on more finance type of work, or if he can tell you how encouraged it is for people to move around.