PDA

View Full Version : Subwoofer information

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 04:26 AM
Hey, so i was wondering if having more subs = better sound?

Right now i have a 600 watt amp running 3 10" JL subs. im thinking of getting a 2 10" sub box and just run 2. What difference would it make?

Thanks in advance!

bawlls
12-05-2008, 05:25 AM
sell all three and get a 10w7, youll b happy with that im sure.

///LOUD LOAD\\\
12-05-2008, 05:52 AM
Better sound.....No, usually it will be louder, but never better sound. For Sq i personally like single sub set ups alot more.

01RedDX
12-05-2008, 10:33 AM

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Thanks for the replys! im not sure about going 1 12", i had that in my old lude which wasn't too bad. But after hearing 2 10"s from my friend's competition subs, and my other friend who just got 2 10"s.. it made me kinda want 2 10s haha.

would 600 infinity mono amp, with 2 10"s be sufficient enough?

if you guys were to choose 2 10s, or 3 10s, which would it be?

Graham_A_M
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
^ two. They take up less space, and they should be easily loud enough.
You also need to take into account, the wieght of the install. I dont know about you but I really dont want 200-300 extra pounds in the back of my car, hurting performance, taking up valuable space and worsening my fuel economy.:dunno:
So its best to use as little as you can, and get the most out of it.
I myself have two 6" subs that pack a whallop. They dont take up much space and barely wiegh anything in my trunk, they're still loud enough to potentially hurt my hearing too if I crank it.

Like I say go with the two tens, the wieght & space savings make it worth while, anything more is overkill

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 11:39 AM
thanks! yah i think i'll be going with the 2 10s.

em2ab
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by tiramisu403
Thanks for the replys! im not sure about going 1 12", i had that in my old lude which wasn't too bad. But after hearing 2 10"s from my friend's competition subs, and my other friend who just got 2 10"s.. it made me kinda want 2 10s haha.

would 600 infinity mono amp, with 2 10"s be sufficient enough?

if you guys were to choose 2 10s, or 3 10s, which would it be?

You should do some more research. Mono means it's only 1 channel so it'll only power a single subwoofer, you can't run 2 from it. If you want to run 2 subwoofers, you need a 2 channel amplifier. Plus, if you're going for sound quality and comparing only the number of subwoofers, there are much more important things you should be considering. Probably the most important thing is the type of amplifier, good clean power in = good sound out. If you're using an A or A/B class amplifier (Xplod or similar) then it's not going to be powering them properly. Get a good D class amplifier from a company like Rockford Fosgate or Alpine and it'll make your same subwoofers sound much better no matter which size they are. Also take into account the acoustics of the area they're mounted in, the size and shape of the area (your trunk?) will determine which way they should be facing/firing and which type of box you should be using.

I ran a proper D class Rockford monoblock amplifier for 6 years and anybody who got in my car thought I was running 2 or 3 subwoofers when I was only running 1, just because of the power and sound it was putting out. All their systems were crappy budget systems and weren't set up correctly.

doctortalon
12-05-2008, 11:44 AM
have you had your stereo tuned so all the crossovers are correct? that would be the first thing if your looking for more studio like sound, i personally think that sealed boxes give a much cleaner sound then ported boxes,

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 12:01 PM
yah, with the 3 right now, it sounds good frm the inside.. but from the outside it sounds like my car is about to shatter.. lol.. SOOOO much vibration from like the exhaust and stuff =\..

em2ab
12-05-2008, 01:10 PM
yah, with the 3 right now, it sounds good frm the inside.. but from the outside it sounds like my car is about to shatter.. lol.. SOOOO much vibration from like the exhaust and stuff =\..

And........this matters because.......

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
lol well it doesn't matter to you, so you dont need to reply :facepalm: , thanks tho.. if "anyone else" have any idea how to make my subs sound better please post! any tips would be great :)

jswankster
12-05-2008, 01:40 PM
Dynamat the whole car

Mibz
12-05-2008, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
You should do some more research. Mono means it's only 1 channel so it'll only power a single subwoofer, you can't run 2 from it. HAHAHAHAHA! I stopped reading here.

would 600 infinity mono amp, with 2 10's be sufficient enough? Depends on the subs, but probably.

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 01:43 PM
well continue, cause somehow my mono amp is 2 channel, and currently running 3 subs :eek:

might be mono powered? :dunno:

em2ab
12-05-2008, 02:13 PM
lol well it doesn't matter to you, so you dont need to reply :facepalm: , thanks tho.. if "anyone else" have any idea how to make my subs sound better please post! any tips would be great :)
Why do you and everyone else have to be so sarcastic when someone is trying to help you? If you want answers you should try being nicer. The point is it doesn't matter if your car sounds like a dump truck on the outside, who cares? The sound quality's on the inside. But in order to stop the vibrating you could use some Dynamat or Brown Bread, but here I am helping you again.

well continue, cause somehow my mono amp is 2 channel, and currently running 3 subs :eek:

might be mono powered? :dunno:
Mono an abbreviation for something. If it's short for monoblock, your amplifier is not 2 channel.....either that or it's not monoblock, one of the two. Monoblock amplifiers are single channel only. I did a search to be sure of that and found that you might be able to hook them up in parallel depending on the ohm rating of each voice coil in the subwoofers.

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 03:20 PM
well the subs are the JL 10W3v2 D4. Dual voice coil.
well it wasn't just my car rattlling, the sub box does too.. i took them apart.. i think they werent sealed properly. could that be why? and if i get a new box and make sure thier sealed properly, would they sound better?

Mibz
12-05-2008, 03:28 PM
well the subs are the JL 10W3v2 D4. Dual voice coil.
well it wasn't just my car rattlling, the sub box does too.. i took them apart.. i think they werent sealed properly. could that be why? and if i get a new box and make sure thier sealed properly, would they sound better? Nice subs. They should sound phenomenal if powered properly and in a well-built box. If you don't have a perfect seal around the subs then you DEFINITELY need to get that fixed. That will make a pretty big difference in sound. You said you're running three of them? Do you know how they're wired?

tiramisu403
12-05-2008, 04:06 PM
Well i found diagrams of how thier suppost to be wired up, like parallel or something. I was wondering, would u suggest me to get a box that holds 2, and run 2 instead of the 3?

Also for the box, do i need anything fancy? or it would be fine as long as its sealed?

em2ab
12-05-2008, 04:31 PM
Well i found diagrams of how thier suppost to be wired up, like parallel or something. I was wondering, would u suggest me to get a box that holds 2, and run 2 instead of the 3?

Also for the box, do i need anything fancy? or it would be fine as long as its sealed?

A properly made box would drastically, drastically, drastically change the sound of your setup, wow. Check the specifications for your specific subwoofers and see if they're supposed to be running in a sealed or ported enclosure and what the recommended volume for the box is. Then build it out of some MDF and a nail gun. And I'd run 2 instead of 3 if your amplifier is capable of it (I still say it won't - but could be wrong).

Mibz
12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by em2ab
And I'd run 2 instead of 3 if your amplifier is capable of it (I still say it won't - but could be wrong). You are. You can run any # of subs off a mono amp, within reason, provided they're powered properly.

kutt3r
12-05-2008, 05:49 PM
Seeing as there is some silly talk going on here I am injecting my 2 cents...
A mono amp is just that 1 power rail..
All that is important is the final resistance matches what the amp can provide. That means you can hook up 10 speakers to a mono amp and it does not matter, as long as they are wired correctly to = the reistance of what the amp can handle.

If your amp is stable at 4 ohms then ensure your subs =4 ohms.
If it is stable to 2 ohms.... figure it out.

It has been a while but I always thought W3's were meant to be run in 3's to ensure the reistance = 2/4/8 ohms(depending on the voicecoils and how they are wired) I would confirm that.

///LOUD LOAD\\\
12-05-2008, 05:51 PM
lol@ the guy saying a mono amp can only run 1 sub, and that you need a D class amp to power a sub, and then saying you need a 2 channel amp to power 2 subs. I dont know of any class D 2 channel amps that are not 2 large amps in one chassis.

I think you need to understand that a amplifier only puts out power at a specific impedance. The # of drivers in totally irrelevant. What you are looking for is to match power output and stable impedance with the power handling and final impedance of the subs. This could be 1 sub or it could be 30 subs.

Also im sure it is widely unknown that MONO amps with speaker outputs like this ( ++ -- ) people think its 2 channels, but reality the terminals are all connected internally so its no different then ( + - ) and still a mono amp.

tiramisu403
12-07-2008, 11:36 AM
Well thanks everyone for your help! i got a properly sealed box, using 2 and it sounds AWSOME! Really appreciate the help provided.

btw, anyone know how much i can sell a 10W3v2 for? i have 1 extra now T_T

Graham_A_M
12-07-2008, 11:55 AM
^ Depends on the year and the condition. Without a box I'd say $80-100. Provided its in great shape, with no tears to the foam/rubber surround.

///LOUD LOAD\\\
12-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Well thanks everyone for your help! i got a properly sealed box, using 2 and it sounds AWSOME! Really appreciate the help provided.

btw, anyone know how much i can sell a 10W3v2 for? i have 1 extra now T_T

I would keep it for a back up!