PDA

View Full Version : What to do about my lazy Buddy I hired as an employee?

3g4u
12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
So here is the story. About a year and a half ago my buddy was comming out of school as an architectural tech and looking for a job. It just so happened that my company was looking for a Architectural tech so I hired him as an employee (bigest mistake in my life so far) Anyway so everything was working out smoothly for a year, he was doing his work, came in on time, and even helped other employees with computer problems as he is a self dedicated computer tech.lol.

This past year he took a totally different stance on his position in my office! We start work at 8:30am and leave at 5:00pm. He comes in everyday at about 9:00am-9:15am, and leaves allways at 10 to 5. I guess on thursday's his wife has to go to school later then he has to be at work, so he decided that it is his god given right to come in at 11:00am on Thursdays because he doesnt want to take the bus/train to work.

These are a few of the things that are ticking me off about him at my office but what lately just made me furious was that yesterday he took off the entire morning to get an OIL CHANGE and had to cancel 2 meetings for this! Then this morning i get a call that he wont be in untill 2:00pm because he got a flat tire and needs to go to the dealer to get them to change it!

Now I could just fire him but like i said he is a very dear friend of mine, and he is financially screwed right now my wife tells me (his accountant) I dont want to screw him over but i feel as though he is definetly taking advantage of me and the office.

Sorry for the rant but this is pissing me off more and more everyday. What would you guys do in this situation?

Weapon_R
12-05-2008, 10:48 AM
Have you sat down and talked this through with him? I think it could all be solved if you remind him of his job duties, be civil and reasonable, and explain to him your expectations.

Sometimes we all get too comfortable in our positions and forget what we were originally hired to do. A simple reminder might go a long way as long as it's done in a decent way. Take him out to lunch and bring it up to him as a friend and see where it goes from there.

BlackArcher101
12-05-2008, 10:49 AM
Sit him down and give him his verbal warning.

If the shit continues, written warning. If it still does, then get rid of his ass.

And make sure you document everything, that way when you do get rid of him and it's a bad one, you can prove just-cause.

hampstor
12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Tough situation, because you've introduced a personal element to work, very likely that it's going to be personal regardless of what happens (either for you, for him, or both).

Has anyone spoken to him about this yet? It sounds like no one has said anything to him and you are just keeping it bottled up.

Document the incidents, see if there is an established pattern, then call him into the office to discuss. Explain the situation to him, carry on like this is any other employee. Give written warnings, then if it is repeatedly happening - terminate.

Oh, don't use the 'It's not personal, it's business' line. It's overdone and BS when it comes to friends.

Kloubek
12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Others have said it, but I will post my thoughts anyway.

First, it's never a great idea to hire a friend. Friends and work should remain detached. But you did, so that's that.

You need to sit him down and talk very directly to him. Say that you value his friendship, but as an employee you must treat him as such. Say that it would not be acceptable for any of the other team members to work the timeframes he is, and that it needs to stop. If you are willing to pay him for the shortened work day instead, then you can present that as an option.

If, after a serious talk, he is still not meeting expectations, you need to let him know he is risking his job by continuing his lazy ways. If he still does not listen, then you have to let him go.

Do not give in just because he is a friend. You have a business to run, and business is business.

JfuckinC
12-05-2008, 10:59 AM
If he's your friend just say "stop being a fucking asshole, your making me lok bad"

em2ab
12-05-2008, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
If he's your friend just say "stop being a fucking asshole, your making me lok bad"

This. Except with spelling corrections.

GTI CANADIAN
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Maybe your office should be more accomadating for skills of your friend? How easy is he to be replaced?

Maybe you should look at your company policy, as in the Employee is doing the company a favor by working for them, not the company is doing a favor to the employee.

Maybe your company should introduce flex hours and personal days.

Maybe you should pay him more? Maybe you should go for a beer and tell him to smarten the fuck up.

Does he do AutoCAD all day? That shit is boring as fuck, no wonder the guy comes late and leaves early, I would have bit a bullet long ago if I had to do AutoCAD all day.

Typiocally this is a sign that the job is boring, the pay is low. Minimum pay deserves minimum effort.

Is his value to the company how many widgets he makes in a day, or is it that the drawings are done properly and accurate?

JfuckinC
12-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by em2ab

This. Except with spelling corrections.

what, people dont make you lok bad said times :D

3g4u
12-05-2008, 11:12 AM
Thanks for all the great advice! I have talked to him on a few occasions about what is ticking me off, he takes what i say very lightly, brushes it off and changes the topic to something like I cant wait to go skiing this weekend with you or something along those lines.
I think I will documnet his behaviour. Maby with a 2 page list of complaints he may smarten up. I hope so because i really dont want to fire him.

JfuckinC
12-05-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GTI CANADIAN
Maybe your office should be more accomadating for skills of your friend? How easy is he to be replaced?

Maybe you should look at your company policy, as in the Employee is doing the company a favor by working for them, not the company is doing a favor to the employee.

Maybe you should pay him more? Maybe you should go for a beer and tell him to smarten the fuck up.

Does he do AutoCAD all day? That shit is boring as fuck, no wonder the guy comes late and leaves early, I would have bit a bullet long ago if I had to do AutoCAD all day.

Typiocally this is a sign that the job is boring, the pay is low. Minimum pay deserves minimum effort.

Is his value to the company how many widgets he makes in a day, or is it that the drawings are done properly and accurate?

wow i hate you
you're why calgary is such a spoiled fucking bitch city lol...

Ps. autocad is fun if your doing the right stuff and dont suck ballls at it.

n1zm0
12-05-2008, 11:20 AM
Does he do AutoCAD all day? That shit is boring as fuck, no wonder the guy comes late and leaves early,

Lol compared to what? i'd rather do autocad all day than do fken paperwork and transcribing shit

3g4u
12-05-2008, 11:27 AM

He was hired to do autocad, and the projects he is working on are very exciting in my opinion. He gets paid what he should for the job he is doing, I even gave him a raise a while ago because he is helping out so much with all the computer tech stuff and saving the company money by not having to call my usual tech guy at $150 /hr. the last thing i will do is give him another raise to boost his ego and make him think he is doing a bang up job.

hampstor
12-05-2008, 11:42 AM

If everyone in the office was acting the way this employee is, then you need to re-evaluate company policy.

However we are talking about a single person taking advantage of his friend. His manager/friend is talking to him about these problems and he deflects it to skiing.

ANYBODY can be replaced. Don't fool yourself into thinking every company needs to bend over backwards for you.

ZorroAMG
12-05-2008, 12:10 PM

FUNNIEST POST EVAR.

Typical Entitlement Generation attitude.

Eff you.

1997GSR
12-05-2008, 12:28 PM
sit him down and have a friendly chat about the expectations of the company and what he has been doing lately. if what you say is true, that is unacceptable.

since he is a good friend go easy on him but be firm. if he can't correct his ways after a friendly warning, can him. business is business!

gti canadian = :eek:

Graham_A_M
12-05-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by 3g4u
Thanks for all the great advice! I have talked to him on a few occasions about what is ticking me off, he takes what i say very lightly, brushes it off and changes the topic to something like I cant wait to go skiing this weekend with you or something along those lines.
I think I will documnet his behaviour. Maby with a 2 page list of complaints he may smarten up. I hope so because i really dont want to fire him.

I'd suspend him without pay for a week or more, given his finances that'll make him take notice that you mean business. Seems that since he's your friend, he doesn't take you or the situation seriously in the least.

If or when he does come back, and his behavior doesn't change, do it again but for longer still... and if that STILL doesn't solve the problem, get rid of him, but either by this point he'll have to look for another job to make ends meet or would have smartened up already.

SilverGS
12-05-2008, 12:31 PM

People with this kind of attitude will get canned first with all these economic issues coming up. All the big players are tightening their belts and ANYONE can be let go at this point.

This sense of entitlement pisses me off. The younger generation with this type of attitude is going to get a healthy dose of reality now that things are on the downswing.

Anyways, as much as the "You have to separate business and personal" is over done it is still what you need to do. If he is taking advantage because he is your friend then he is not a very good friend to put you in this situation.

You may need to be a bit more serious in tone and really let him know the serious nature of the problem and that he can't just change the topic and make light of the situation. Going to be tough but probably will have to be done or else you may have to let him go.

1997GSR
12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by SilverGS
This sense of entitlement pisses me off. The younger generation with this type of attitude is going to get a healthy dose of reality now that things are on the downswing.

well said

GTI CANADIAN
12-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Maybe if Calgary wasn't such an expenisive piece of shit city to live in, things would be different.

And AutoCAD IS shit, for manufacturing and Mechanical Design. I use Solidworks. Try FEA in your shitty AutoCAD.

Flame on Bitches, it's water off a ducks back.

HAHA it's friday.

Fuck your downswing, I have a born on earth sense of entitlement. Besides, the world is going to get all fucked up, come 2012.

:hijack:

D'z Nutz
12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
3g4u: Maybe if you flirt with him, he'll be more motivated to come to work on time :poosie: Kloubek can give you some pointers there :rofl:

SilverGS
12-05-2008, 02:07 PM

Fuck your downswing, I have a born on earth sense of entitlement. Besides, the world is going to get all fucked up, come 2012.

:hijack:

More like lucky to be born in one of the highest standard of living places in the world sense of entitlement.

Think what you want but when things get tight and companies start cutting costs employees that act the way 3g4u's friend is acting are the first to go.

Amysicle
12-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Typiocally this is a sign that the job is boring, the pay is low. Minimum pay deserves minimum effort. Typically people with this kind of attitude are stuck making minimum wage because of their minimum effort. Have fun bouncing from job to job without an increase in pay except for when the minimum wage increases again.

To the OP: Document, document, document. Verbal warning, written warning and then kick him to the curb if things don’t improve. Not much of a friend if he's taking advantage of your kindness and probably pissing the other employees off because he gets away with it.

topmade
12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Book a meeting with him and sit his ass down and dish it all out to him. Bringing it up in a coffee break will not be taken serisouly and will be brushed off. Tell him to smarten up or he will be put on suspension or probation and maybe end up getting himself canned if he keeps up this attitude. Tell him that upper management has told you to talk to him and they want to see changes ASAFP!!

Antonito
12-05-2008, 11:11 PM
I've been in your exact situation, it sucks, but there's not really much you can do other than your job, which is to have him work as expected, or get rid of him. Believe me, if things continue like this, you eventually won't want to be his friend anyways.

Don't go on the defensive or apologize, maintain that it's him screwing you over, and make it clear that this is completely unacceptable. You don't have to tear a strip off the guy, just explain that it's reflecting badly on him and you, and that things have to change.

If he's got any scruples, he'll admit to it, and hopefully improve. If he just makes excuses, cut your losses and get rid of him, he'll just get worse. I cannot stress this enough.

Oh and people like GTI Canadian are why I'm almost happy to see a recession. Lots of guys like that at my current job, but it's finally starting to sink in that there isn't another job that they can just hop over to. Most of these guys don't know how to work a proper day, period. One guy started crying when he got laid off, even after multiple warnings, because he knew he's fucked (rent due, no money), but somehow he just couldn't not be a sucky employee because he'd never had to be competent before.

old&slow
12-06-2008, 06:57 AM
I find it odd he was working out so well the first year and then changed. I'm gonna suggest something is going on besides the normal. Marital issues? Drugs? Or an just inflated ego?

Pacman
12-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG

FUNNIEST POST EVAR.

Typical Entitlement Generation attitude.

Eff you.

Dude, that guy wasn't being serious, was he? I thought he was trying to be funny.

Idratherbsidewayz
12-06-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Antonito
I've been in your exact situation, it sucks, but there's not really much you can do other than your job, which is to have him work as expected, or get rid of him. Believe me, if things continue like this, you eventually won't want to be his friend anyways.

Don't go on the defensive or apologize, maintain that it's him screwing you over, and make it clear that this is completely unacceptable. You don't have to tear a strip off the guy, just explain that it's reflecting badly on him and you, and that things have to change.

If he's got any scruples, he'll admit to it, and hopefully improve. If he just makes excuses, cut your losses and get rid of him, he'll just get worse. I cannot stress this enough.

Don't agree with you on much, but this was exactly my thoughts on the matter.

Be firm when you talk to him, take the upper hand. After all, it was YOU that got him the job. Blunt, but polite is the way to do it. He might be mad at you for a while but if it turns his life around, he'll thank you in the end.

I can't believe people are just letting him take mornings off. When I was in high school I would push my boundaries to the limits and then over them. The people in charge would then check me with a serious reprimand and I'd know how far I could push something. It looks like nobody has shown this guy the limits. Someones got to get their balls out of their back pocket and show him otherwise he'll keep being a spoiled brat...

jsn
12-06-2008, 02:14 PM

I've tried not to use this smiley because it's the most overused smiley on beyond nowadays, but I think it is needed in this situation:facepalm:

so what you're saying is that if an employee is showing up late to work, taking time off whenever he feels, it's not actually his fault, but instead, the company should adjust and cater to his schedule? Give me a break. Alot of people do the 8:30 to 5 with no problems. And the fact that he's been doing fine for a year and only after a year does this problem emerge says that he is able to come in on time but chooses not to. If he's not willing to come in on time, I'm sure there are replacements that would be willing to.

to the OP, I'd do exactly what kloubek said. I'd try to avoid the paperwork at first, since you said you do value his friendship. Sit him down and explain that you do value his friendship but if other employees do not have this flexibility, he can't either...

msommers
12-06-2008, 03:39 PM

This attitude he has is exactly the problem. He isn't taking YOU seriously as a boss/supervisor/etc. You can bring up past incidences of why people have been fired and mention you don't want that to happen to him. When he plays it off like it's not a big deal, mention lightly that, "Look man, I know it may not seem like a big deal now, but I'd really hate to have my boss tell me to fire you."

Be a friend but be realistic. A job is a job and at the end of the day, it is business, no matter how BS that may sound.

msommers
12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
I find it odd he was working out so well the first year and then changed. I'm gonna suggest something is going on besides the normal. Marital issues? Drugs? Or an just inflated ego?

Comfort zone. The first year he was there, I'm sure he is looking to impress bosses/co-workers and also make the OP feel like hiring him was a solid decision. After awhile, he thinks the worst is over and can take a break from "showing off." Not denying your suggestions, which very well could be the case; just adding another realistic point to your list.

max_boost
12-06-2008, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Have you sat down and talked this through with him? I think it could all be solved if you remind him of his job duties, be civil and reasonable, and explain to him your expectations.

Sometimes we all get too comfortable in our positions and forget what we were originally hired to do. A simple reminder might go a long way as long as it's done in a decent way. Take him out to lunch and bring it up to him as a friend and see where it goes from there.

Classy approach to things.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

97'Scort
12-06-2008, 05:03 PM
If he's billing for a full 40 hour week, but not working the hours as you've hinted at, then you can fire him for that. Make a sign-in sheet for him and ask him to clock in every morning. If he puts in 7 hours but submits 8 on the timesheet, then you know you have an option.

03ozwhip
12-06-2008, 05:27 PM
definitely the 3 strike rule depending on what happened. tell him, "you know we're good friends, but i can't give you special treatment, and you're kinda takiing advantage of that situation.(this is what youve been doing bla bla bla)

"from now on, its 3 strikes, you gotta pull the weight like everyone else or you'll leave me no choice, its either you or me, and its definitely not gonna be me, because of stuff you're pulling."

ive had to do this to 2 of my friends, one bucked up the other one fucked off, different people react differently to this kind of situation, choose your words carefully. good luck man its always hard when its a friend.

Rat Fink
12-06-2008, 07:52 PM

r0g3r
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
^ how did he fck up? just being lazy? or cannot handle the work load??

just curious

88jbody
12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
every one seems to be close on opinions and I agree.

make a time durring work hours have him come in your office and sit down and just tell him this is a pre-warning and let him know if anyone else was doing this they would be gone already, and let him know that you want him to do his job the way he was hired to do it. document this meeting/coaching session.

also ask him if there is something that has made him loose intrest in the job. find out if there is a good reason he has been slipping or if it is just feeling safe. Let him know from this point you are going to be treating him like every other employee.

I understand him needing differnt hours, but when someone needs to change the hours they work they should go to the boss and say I need my hours to be this, and talk it over to see if it is possible. not to just make it up themselves and assume they can just do it without permission

GTS Jeff
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Don't show up with a random list of complaints...that's some passive aggressive bitch shit right there. Just sit him down and let him have it. Tell the guy straight up. If he changes the topic, change it back. Who's the boss here? You are, nigga.

GTS Jeff
12-07-2008, 06:36 PM
And if you need a template, here it is:

"Hey Doug, we gotta talk. You are being a lazy piece of shit at work right now, and I will fire your sorry ass so help me God. Yes I'm your friend, but I have a job to do here and so help me God I am not going lose it for you. Don't change the subject now. I know you're poor - my wife told me so. So get your shit straight, or get your shit packed, nigga."

CausalInfluence
12-07-2008, 06:50 PM
^ this, without the expletives.

You have to be direct, friend, family or otherwise. If you dont establish your authority he will never take you seriously ever.

It is hard, I know to confront a friend in a situation like this. But at the end of the day, his friendship will not put food on the table, or a roof over your head. As it stands its either you or him. Callous yes? well thats business, he understands that as much as you should.

At this point you cant afford to be a push over. At the very least he will bitch about it to his co-workers and your fellow employee's and they will realise that like him, you give no preferencial treatment.

Good luck man.

HiTempguy1
12-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Now I could just fire him but like i said he is a very dear friend of mine

Just so you know, he isn't a dear friend of yours. A friend wouldn't do this to somebody. Mabye your a good friend to him, but it obviously isn't being reciprocated. I would think twice about that friendship (but that might just be me).

As people have said, tell him to smarten the fawk up (being politically correct while doing it, of course) and that if he doesn't shape up, he ships out.