PDA

View Full Version : is this a joke? (turbo cavalier)

finboy
09-27-2003, 02:08 AM
so i was leafing through the latest SCC mag, when i came upon an article about a turbo j-body. SRT and Mazda speed competiton maybe? not a chance...

0-60 in 7.5
1/4 in 15.4
182 hp, 176 lb-ft
2900 pounds...

how the hell is that supposed to compete with anything??? :dunno:

i've said it before and i'll say it again, gm needs to get their heads out of their asses, and completely redesign the j-body from the ground up. :thumbsdow

three.eighteen.
09-27-2003, 04:30 AM
they didnt get much better out of a stock mazdaspeed protege, 15.3 in quarter mile

finboy
09-27-2003, 10:40 AM
but the mazda speed can handle

sandman
09-27-2003, 10:48 AM
ahh jbodies, when will they learn...

Team_Mclaren
09-27-2003, 12:29 PM
turbo j-body:thumbsdow
mazdaspeed :bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
09-27-2003, 12:41 PM
hahahahah 2900lbs.

u know, i tihnk gm "knows" they need to use a new platform, but they just dont have the funds to do so cuz their funds/attention are tied up in all their upscale brand names...

pinoyhero
09-27-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
turbo j-body:thumbsdow
mazdaspeed :bigpimp:

:werd:

Davan
09-27-2003, 04:04 PM
More info about this turbo J please. Those numbers are pretty pathetic, what is it running, 4 pounds?

A friend of mine has a boosted Cavalier in Edmonton, 6 pounds running high 14's at this elevation. That turbo J is lame in comparison.

Doodle
09-27-2003, 06:04 PM
The doods from regina, I've seen it on the street. He tried to race my impreza.....I didn't take it.

Ben
09-27-2003, 06:13 PM
my car is only 2300lbs...someone wanna turbo that for me?

Doodle
09-27-2003, 06:49 PM
Sorry I thought you were talking about the black one in SCC with the white stripes, the guys from regina.

finboy
09-28-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by Davan
More info about this turbo J please. Those numbers are pretty pathetic, what is it running, 4 pounds?

A friend of mine has a boosted Cavalier in Edmonton, 6 pounds running high 14's at this elevation. That turbo J is lame in comparison.

8 psi out of a garrett t28, 8.6:1 compression, 2.5" exhaust. normally the concepts have more power than the production models, wonder how much power gm will cut out of this one.

apperantly the car was only 6 tenths faster in the 1/4 than a factory j-body...ouch

as for your friends cav, it would probably run high to mid 14's at sea level too, altitude doesn't have near the affect on turbo cars as it does on N/A cars.

Davan
09-28-2003, 01:57 PM
It still doesn't make sense. 8 pounds of boost only giving an extra 42 hp? Something isn't right.

(i'm assuming it's the ecotec motor?)

max_boost
09-28-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
they didnt get much better out of a stock mazdaspeed protege, 15.3 in quarter mile Well they should learn to drive cause our resident cocoabrova ran 14.4 at RAce City!! haha

boi-alien
09-28-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Well they should learn to drive cause our resident cocoabrova ran 14.4 at RAce City!! haha :werd: i was thinkin the same thing! and it's consistant 14.4s

95acc
09-28-2003, 09:19 PM
In 2005 the J-body is dead!
GM is losing the cavalier and the Canadian sunfire.
We will get the chevrolet cobalt.
built of of the Saturn Ion platform.
At the same time we will lose the sunfire and it ill be all new as well.
The US will still have the sunfire for another couple of years.

LancerShelby
09-28-2003, 10:49 PM
Well they should learn to drive cause our resident cocoabrova ran 14.4 at RAce City!! haha But his car isn't stock.

403Gemini
09-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by 95acc
The US will still have the sunfire for another couple of years.

*gag* i hate the ions... well i actually like the body... A LOT but i HATE the interior. All your gauges int he middle of the dash , not infront of you *puke*

also saturn is notorious for shitty horsepower. Look at their SC series cars? i LOVE the design, but hardly any aftermarket and only like 95ish horsepower stock! wtf! a crx has more horsepower AND is lighter!

*shakes head* domestics needa take their head outta their asses

GTS Jeff
09-29-2003, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by 95acc
The US will still have the sunfire for another couple of years. ha-ha, so have u always been a j-body expert/enthusiast??

i think that gm isnt going anywhere with the ion platform. it isnt exactly much to write home about...just another cheap platform for them to sell 9000$ cars with.

fast95pony
09-29-2003, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

also saturn is notorious for shitty horsepower. Look at their SC series cars? i LOVE the design, but hardly any aftermarket and only like 95ish horsepower stock! wtf! a crx has more horsepower AND is lighter!

I don't like Saturns either, but how can you compare an Ion to a crx ?? They're totally different cars. An Ion should be compared to a base Civic .

Davan
09-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by 2fast4u

I'd rather turbo my pedal bike, then spend money on putting a turbo on a cavalier.... i'd probably see better results too.:banghead:

Way to add to an otherwise decent discussion. :rolleyes:

CRXguy
09-29-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by LancerShelby
But his car isn't stock.

99% stock! :rofl:

2000impreza
09-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by CRXguy

99% stock! :rofl:

haha. yeah. its pretty close to stock. few minor mods here and there.

cocoabrova
09-29-2003, 07:41 PM
Well they should learn to drive cause our resident cocoabrova ran 14.4 at RAce City!! haha
Haha, and that 15.3 is @ sea level.....I've seen bone stock MSP's run anywhere from 16.0 to 17.0 here in Calgary, depending on driver, obviously.

Originally posted by finboy
altitude doesn't have near the affect on turbo cars as it does on N/A cars.
:dunno:

Z_Fan
09-29-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

Haha, and that 15.3 is @ sea level.....I've seen bone stock MSP's run anywhere from 16.0 to 17.0 here in Calgary, depending on driver, obviously.

That's right.

There was one that ran 15.9 here in Calgary and that was the FASTEST he ever ran it...it's stock and owned by the dealer.

finboy
09-29-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova

turbo's are not affected by barrometric pressure, but still face the issue of less O2 in higher elevation, so a 16 second NA car here is, say, a 15.3 at sea level. since the turbo creates its own pressure, it is only affected air temperature and amount of 02 in the air, so a 16 second turbo car would be a 15.7-15.9 at sea level. all these numbers are examples of course...

i'm not sure if that made a lot of sense the way i explained it...
:D

buh_buh
09-29-2003, 10:21 PM
Well theoretically turbo would make more power at sea level I think, only because you'd be running more boost at sea level than here. But if you turn it back down again (so you don't blow your engine) back to the same boost level as here, then NA cars would be affected more by altitude.

I think that made sense......

finboy
09-29-2003, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Well theoretically turbo would make more power at sea level I think, only because you'd be running more boost at sea level than here. But if you turn it back down again (so you don't blow your engine) back to the same boost level as here, then NA cars would be affected more by altitude.

I think that made sense......

correct, given the same boost settings, etc. for the turbo car, it would be much less affected by altitude change.

but again, there are many factors which can contribute to a faster/slower run. this is in a theoretically unchanced suituation, affected only by altitude.

Davan
10-02-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm not quite sure I understand... so, would a turbo at sea level just work less hard to make the same amount of boost compared to a turbo at elevation? Am I getting this right?

finboy
10-02-2003, 05:24 PM
the turbo would work just as hard, that would not change

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 03:26 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

*gag* i hate the ions... well i actually like the body... A LOT but i HATE the interior. All your gauges int he middle of the dash , not infront of you *puke*

yeah, my friend has an echo, it's got the gauges in the middle too, pretty ugly.

googe
10-05-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by finboy

turbo's are not affected by barrometric pressure, but still face the issue of less O2 in higher elevation, so a 16 second NA car here is, say, a 15.3 at sea level. since the turbo creates its own pressure, it is only affected air temperature and amount of 02 in the air, so a 16 second turbo car would be a 15.7-15.9 at sea level. all these numbers are examples of course...

i'm not sure if that made a lot of sense the way i explained it...
:D

When you say a 16 second turbo car, do you mean low, mid, or high 16s?

Generally the rule of thumb is that forced induction cars lose half as much as naturally aspirated. Of course this varies somewhat depending on boost pressure, but its a pretty good estimate.

finboy
10-05-2003, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by googe

When you say a 16 second turbo car, do you mean low, mid, or high 16s?

Generally the rule of thumb is that forced induction cars lose half as much as naturally aspirated. Of course this varies somewhat depending on boost pressure, but its a pretty good estimate.
sorry, i meant low 16's.

googe
10-05-2003, 01:58 PM
The NHRA maintains a conversion chart, check out
http://www.nhra.com/2002/sportsman/news/February/021501.html