PDA

View Full Version : Student looking for a job - anyone hiring?

r-karsk
12-06-2008, 08:51 PM
So, my semester is wrapping up with my last final on the 17th, meaning I can start work on December 18th.

I can work full time from Dec 18th - Jan 12th, and part time afterwards.

I'm a 3rd year Economics major at the U of C. I have about one year of office experience spread between two companies, and one year of retail experience again, spread between two companies.

I'm open to new experiences and types of work, so the biggest factor for me is the location of the business, as I don't want to commute across town. I live in S.E. Calgary (Sundance).

I'd rather not post my resume here for everyone to see, so if you, your company, or somebody you know is hiring, send me a PM with a bit of info and I'll send you my resume.

Thanks

broken_legs
12-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Drive in the SE Between Glenmore, Barlow and 52nd St

Most of the shops and warehouses there have signs up for labourers and other warehouse type stuff starting around 15-20/hr

They usually have big signs up in front, just drive around with some resumes, im sure you'll have some luck.

pegasus
12-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Yeah. When I was in Edmonton, my buddy wanted a new job, and we literally just drove around for a bit gave some resume's out and BAM a week later he has like 6 interviews.
lol

CausalInfluence
12-07-2008, 01:01 PM
^ hes a business student... Hard labour!?!?!

Honestly man, you will be hardpressed to find a winter job for 3 weeks. Unless you want to work a sesional position in the mall.

As for summer jobs... at the u of c after christmas there is a job fair for business students. Attend it. ?????. Profit.

Either that Or start handing out your resume to HR departments at the big 4 see if they have any junior internships.

TomcoPDR
12-07-2008, 01:19 PM
If you just need something to hold off for cash flow, tons of temp jobs you can get instantly during Christmas season (Wal-Mart, Superstore, Canada Post--probably too late to apply now as secondary drivers, retail stores in Southcentre, close out crew for Linen-n-Things :clap: , Home Depot, F.S. , etc...) Now that's before the "benefits" of finding something in the dumpster ;) of a perfectly good 50" LCD that another employee "accidentially" tossed out mistaken as an empty box. ;)

albert
12-07-2008, 01:29 PM
tim hortons?

Isaiah
12-07-2008, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by albert
tim hortons?

He didn't ask for a donut. He's looking for a job.

albert
12-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Isaiah

He didn't ask for a donut. He's looking for a job.

donuts need 2 be un frozen n cooked? he can work

r-karsk
12-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks guys.

FYI i take _great_ offense being called a business student. The day I start walking around campus carrying a briefcase full of blank sheets of paper, wearing suits that cost more than my tuition, while bragging about how my very own business is soon going to make millions is the day I kill myself.

I'm an econ major. It's like getting a degree in history except less people laugh at you and more people just feel sorry for you. They're both BA's anyway :cry:

Anyways, I remember those places between Barlow and 52nd hiring like crazy during the summer, I'll check them out. Other than that, looks like retail for me. Thanks again

broken_legs
12-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by r-karsk
Thanks guys.

FYI i take _great_ offense being called a business student. The day I start walking around campus carrying a briefcase full of blank sheets of paper, wearing my dads suits, while bragging about how my very own business is soon going to make millions is the day I kill myself.

I'm a econ major. It's like getting a degree in history except less people laugh at you and more people just feel sorry for you. They're both BA's anyway :cry:

Anyways, I remember those places between Barlow and 52nd hiring like crazy during the summer, I'll check them out. Other than that, looks like retail for me. Thanks again

My other recommendation is get a job delivering Chinese Food and Pizza.

Likely you'll have to jockey with the other drivers that work at those places so get a job at two then you can get the best days at each place.

People tip good during holiday season, and with all the cold and snow people will be ordering in more.

Also as I remember things from 10 years ago, I made more tips delivering Chinese food than I did delivering pizza hut. Chinese food usually costs more per order too.

Good Luck!

rixxx
12-07-2008, 09:46 PM

TomcoPDR
12-08-2008, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Also as I remember things from 10 years ago, I made more tips delivering Chinese food than I did delivering pizza hut. Chinese food usually costs more per order too.

:werd: plus it's easier to sneak-a-bite with Chinese food (just close box lid and shake it up a little) than say taking a slice of pizza.

broken_legs
12-08-2008, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

:werd: plus it's easier to sneak-a-bite with Chinese food (just close box lid and shake it up a little) than say taking a slice of pizza.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

msommers
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by r-karsk
FYI i take _great_ offense being called a business student. The day I start walking around campus carrying a briefcase full of blank sheets of paper, wearing suits that cost more than my tuition, while bragging about how my very own business is soon going to make millions is the day I kill myself.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :clap: :clap:

I see you've met the fag known as "The Aviator" at school.

adam c
12-08-2008, 12:55 PM
if you're interested, let me know

http://www.calforex.com/retail_careers.php

r-karsk
12-08-2008, 06:49 PM
PM sent

realazy
12-08-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd recommend staffing companies like Diversified Staffing. I worked for them 2 times, once in the summer and once during Christmas. A lot of companies have people taking vacation during that time and they hire temporary staff.

It usually pays alright even after the cut, like from $13-16 an hour.

You better hurry though because you need to take those tests that have that tests your typing speed and excel skills. Real simple stuff.

wiggaplz
12-08-2008, 11:08 PM
just go up to a warehouse with a resume and ask for a job...dont tell them only 3 weeks. If they can't work around you're schedule after jan16th quit. Profit?