PDA

View Full Version : How do I reformat or clean up my comp?

B20EF
12-06-2008, 09:09 PM
I have a Dell package computer setup, it's about three years old and starting to perform poorly. It probably has viruses, even though I have Norton 360. When I turn it on, I have to wait about fifteen minutes for it to be done "thinking" before I can do anything like use the internet. If I keep it on it doesn't have this problem so I try to never turn it off.

But how would I delete programs I don't need or reformat altogether to just put Windows XP back on without all the extra crap Dell gives you?

BTW buying a new comp isn't an option for now.

GoChris
12-06-2008, 09:22 PM
if you have a restore disc, or the xp disc. I would back up your files (pics, documents, etc) to a separate drive, or burn to disc then reformat. perhaps download the network card driver from dell first, from there you can just download all the drivers again if there is anything not detected by xp.

then get rid of norton, cause its probably half your problem.

bawlls
12-06-2008, 09:36 PM
well reformating can be a really simple option if you have the cd's that came with your computer, with all the software. If you dotn have this, you will need to first find out all the part numbers for your computer, so like mobo, vid card, sound ect (depends what you have).

put in the windows cd restart comp and boot from cd (theres a buncha different hotkeys, depends on your bios.

i cant really remember off the top of my head the different options to go through, all I can remember is that its pretty strait forward. your gonna wanna format your drive(dont use quick format) and make a new partition, then install windows to that.

its really not as difficult as it sounds, as long as you properly gathered the required drivers, youll be fine.

B20EF
12-06-2008, 09:39 PM
So after I backup files to my ipod or whatever, is the reformat just a simple program I can download to wipe everything out or do I buy a disc to do it?

*EDIT^^ Thanks, I wrote this before you posted

S13_Ryan
12-06-2008, 09:42 PM
you need to put your windows XP or vista or whatever OS you have and boot from the cd. delete the old partition, create a new one and then load windows again.

bawlls
12-06-2008, 09:43 PM
yikes okay maybe you shouldnt be doing it yourself. Its the windows CD itself, should come with ever dell computer. if you cant find it, you need to go buy a new one (if you want to do it the legit way). If you dont care about legitimacy, well, then your gonna have to ask somewhere else.

send me a pm, il give you the number for a really good computer technician. Price is reasonable, and he will definatly hook you up good, as he does with everyone.

EDIT:^^^^
lol likewise...

B20EF
12-06-2008, 09:54 PM
I just checked and I have six cd's still in the wrapping, the Windows XP, Word, Dell sonic recordnow..., Dell colour monitor CD, and the re installation CD

yikes okay maybe you shouldnt be doing it yourself.

Haha, it's not like I can f*ck it up anymore!

bawlls
12-06-2008, 10:33 PM
hmm re-installation cd?
pop that in, porbs has your drivers on it, but make sure.
if you have any parts you put in after you bought the comp, make sure you have the drivers for it, unless its ram or w.e.

put in the windows xp cd, boot from it(google if you dont know) format your existing partition, and install windows.

you also reformat from windows xp repair. put in the xp cd, boot from it, go to repair and in the command prompt use the self explanitory command:
format c:

once its formated, restart your computer, boot from cd, and proceed to install windows.

megavolt
12-07-2008, 06:24 PM
Try running a program like ccleaner. Might just have a lot of junk in your registry/temp folders slowing everything down.

jjohns411
12-07-2008, 07:52 PM
i just cleaned up my computer cause it was running poorly.

First off... norton sucks really bad
I deleted my norton and type in "avg free" in google. That is much better
Once i got that and ran a scan i got a program called... Advanced Systemcare
That cleans up everything... and i mean everything
that should clean up everything you dont need. my computer is already runnin good

B20EF
12-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I bought a year subscription for Norton so I'll keep it for the next ten months, but I'll try those cleaner programs to see what they find

B20EF
12-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by megavolt
Try running a program like ccleaner. Might just have a lot of junk in your registry/temp folders slowing everything down.

In 89 seconds this program just found and deleted 876MB worth of stuff, that seems like a lot, hopefully it wasn't anything important