PDA

View Full Version : Review: Blink Restaurant & Bar (UPDATE: September 24, 2009)

A790
12-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Blink Restaurant & Bar
111 8th Ave SW
(403) 263-5330
www.blinkcalgary.com - As of this writing the website is down.

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 3.5/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 3/5
Overall: 3.5/5*

Summary: A charming restaurant located on one of my favourite places to be for an evening engagement. Unfortunately a couple of small details were overlooked and hindered an otherwise excellent meal.

Introduction:

It's very hard for me to sit down and write a negative review of a restaurant. Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I can honestly say that I don't think I've ever had a dining experience that was bad enough to justify writing an extremely negative review, so when my high hopes for Blink were cut short I found myself at a crossroads: do I write them a bad review based on one or two points of contention, or do I overlook it due to an otherwise pleasant experience?

I first came across Blink when I was wandering down 8th avenue with a friend of mine a few weeks ago. We were killing time before catching some Jazz at Beat Niq and thought it'd be cool to check out some of the venues on Stephen Avenue. I hadn't been to Stephen Avenue since I had actually become of legal age so the experience was an entirely new one for me.

Blink, kind of like my family's restaurant, is easily missed if you don't know what you're looking for. There isn't a big sign out front letting you know about the cool restaurant just past the door, but rather a few small, discreet indications that something interesting may be within. I actually found it kind of funny that both times I've wandered past Blink there has always been a table dining right in the window- a subtle way to let people know that they are indeed open for business.

Service:

We decided to check it out and, on a Friday evening with no reservation, were promptly seated by an inviting and enthusiastic fellow who must have some kind of personal tie to the restaurant. He was eager to make our acquaintance and more than happy to tell us all about the restaurant. He had a beaming smile that started when we walked in and lasted until he disappeared to check my coat- a very good way to make a fantastic first impression.

Unfortunately service was somewhat slow past that point, and it's here that I had the biggest issue with Blink. The restaurant wasn't terribly busy at the time that we had arrived, with our server having just one other table to attend to. Despite that fact we found ourselves waiting for any service at all, and it would be nearly 10 minutes before we'd order a drink and another 15 minutes before we'd have a chance to order our meals.

It wouldn't have been such an issue if I wasn't hungry, but alas, my stomach was growling from the moment my date and I walked through the door and waiting nearly 25 minutes just to order wasn't very appealing.

Thankfully our server remained polite, courteous, and relatively attentive for the remainder of the meal. He wasn't on the ball at all times, but he was around often enough that if there hadn't had been the wait at the beginning I likely wouldn't have been bothered by it.

Atmosphere:

I really quite like how the restaurant is presented to you. From the outside it actually looks quite small, but once you come in you realize that the full expanse of the restaurant extends quite a bit back and that it's not nearly as small as it appeared. The tables are well spaced, and even though my date and I were surrounded on 3 sides with other tables (including a table of 6) we were able to have a conversation without being drowned out.

The atmosphere is just enough contemporary flair, with off-white surfaces and candlelight dominating the room, with old-world charm. The original brick walls from whenever the building was first constructed are not covered up, but rather proudly displayed and shown off to those dining within. The bar is at the most southwestern corner of the room and has seating for 15 or 20 people perhaps.

The tables themselves are comfortable, resting on what must be a new hardwood floor. You will find yourself in comfortable chairs, with lounge-style music that isn't too soft or too loud, and enjoying perfect lighting that highlights the best of the restaurant without leaving you with the feeling that you're hiding in the shadows.

Food:

This is the second point that I find myself unsure on how to properly score. Make no mistake, the food served at Blink is quite good. Unfortunately, I was unimpressed with the portion sizes versus dollars spent.

We started off with a couple of cocktails which, surprisingly, were quite reasonably priced (1oz. cocktails are priced at $6, with premium cocktails at $10). We decided to abstain from wine for the evening.

After much deliberation (the menu has many offerings that will cause your taste-buds to get excited) we decided to have the Carpaccio of Alberta Beef (~$14) and a Apple and Pear Parfait served with Saskatoon Berry Jam (~$14). Both appetizers were quite good, though I felt that the Carpaccio left a bit to be desired in it's presentation; while Carpaccio is generally quite thin, this particular version was so thin that you literally had to scrape it off of the plate with your knife. The parfait had a surprisingly smooth flavor, and when mixed with the Saskatoon Berry Jam it creates a sensation akin to dishes served in the spring or early summer- a welcome departure from the deep-freeze that we are all enjoying now.

Following our appetizers was an interesting-looking Braised Shank of Lamb (~$32) and my own Lemon Herb and Garlic Chicken (~$28). My date thoroughly enjoyed her Lamb, evidenced by her sudden silence (as she became occupied with devouring her meal) and continual praise of how delicious it was. I have to agree with her: the meals were prepared quite well, with the vegetables having an unconventional taste that paired well with the main portion. My chicken was delectable, with a hint of garlic (unless you choose to eat the roasted cloves at garlic it is served with which, after feeding one to my date, I enjoyed) and a strong undertone of lemon- delicious!

However, while my date may have enjoyed a rather large sampling of Lamb, my meal was quite small by comparison. In fact, after finishing our appetizers and meals I still felt as if I could go for a few more bites. Thankfully my companion generously shared some of her Lamb and I was more than happy to enjoy it too.

Conclusion:

As we paid the surprisingly small tab the happy fellow at the door fetched me my coat and even held it as I put it on. It's the small touches like that which remind you that you are in a fine restaurant that has much to offer those looking for a great night out.

As well, the pricing that I've mentioned is an approximation as I can't remember the exact prices and the website is currently offline.

Overall I am going to recommend Blink despite a score of 3.5 because I am confident that the service that I received initially isn't the norm, and I plan on revisiting Blink in a few weeks and will append this review if the services is better.

max_boost
12-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Only 89coupe gets good service and quality food at this place. The rest of us get the shaft. Coincidence? haha

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176962/blink-supper-club/

A790
12-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't know, I really had to force myself to rate the restaurant 3.5/5. It really has the potential to do well. I hope on my next visit that the service is up to par :)

1997GSR
12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
interesting.

iirc, this place is owned by the guy who rolls around in the Maser MC12.

A790
12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
interesting.

iirc, this place is owned by the guy who rolls around in the Maser MC12.
Maybe, I can't really verify that one.

It feels as if someone put a fair bit of cash into it to get it running though so I wouldn't be surprised if the owner was loaded.

gkAeris
12-07-2008, 11:39 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/176962/blink-supper-club/:repost:

A790
09-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Reopened due to update, and the fact that it's no longer the same "Blink".

A790
09-24-2009, 10:34 PM
Blink Restaurant & Bar
111 8th Ave SW
(403) 263-5330
www.blinkcalgary.com

Ambiance: 4/5
Service: 4.5/5
Food: 4/5
Value: 4/5
Overall: 4/5

Summary: After meeting a friend from out of town I was somewhat apprehensive about his decision to dine at Blink given my previous experience. However, the second go around was much better in nearly all areas and on par with every upscale venue I've had the pleasure of experiencing here in Calgary.

Introduction:

Nearly a year ago I visited Blink on a date and left unsure of how exactly I felt about the restaurant. It had all of the charm and ambiance that an upscale restaurant needs, but the portion sizes and overall appeal left something to be desired.

I arrived fifteen minutes prior to our reservation and decided to enjoy a glass of a young Argentinian Malbec. Upon news that my companions were going to be late I decided to splurge and purchase the bottle (with the intention of sharing once my friends arrived). Alas, I wound up waiting forty-five minutes, during which I had plenty of experience with the red.

Service:

It was at the bar that I met the owner- a charming, surprisingly young woman that was working behind the bar. We talked a bit of industry talk and I laughed as I watched her perform just about every duty the front house offers: bussing, door service, bar tending, and running food. It was as if I was watching a mirror of myself.

Our server, a charming and attractive blonde woman (Christina, Chris for short) was attentive, knowledgeable, and courteous the whole evening. Between the four of us we enjoyed two bottles of wine, numerous cocktails, ports, liqueurs, and three courses. Everything came out smoothly, in a timely fashion, and was delivered by both the owner and our server.

Unlike my last experience, the server took the time to explain exactly what was on each plate and where. Chris took care of our table with a smile throughout the whole evening. In this regard, Blink appeared much more mature and polished- a significant thing given that it's just two years old.

Atmosphere:

I really quite like how the restaurant is presented to you. From the outside it actually looks quite small, but once you come in you realize that the full expanse of the restaurant extends quite a bit back and that it's not nearly as small as it appeared. The tables are well spaced, and even though my date and I were surrounded on 3 sides with other tables (including a table of 6) we were able to have a conversation without being drowned out.

The atmosphere is just enough contemporary flair, with off-white surfaces and candlelight dominating the room, with old-world charm. The original brick walls from whenever the building was first constructed are not covered up, but rather proudly displayed and shown off to those dining within. The bar is at the most southwestern corner of the room and has seating for 15 or 20 people perhaps.

The tables themselves are comfortable, resting on what must be a new hardwood floor. You will find yourself in comfortable chairs, with lounge-style music that isn't too soft or too loud, and enjoying perfect lighting that highlights the best of the restaurant without leaving you with the feeling that you're hiding in the shadows.

Food:

One area of contention remained: the portions are smaller than you'd expect. However, I knew this in advance and ordered a bit more to compensate. We enjoyed the carpaccio of beef ($14.50) and roast Alaskan sea scallops ($13.50), both of which were flavorful. All of us at the table wasted no time in enjoying them.

I went a different direction than I had in the past with Blink and ordered the line caught BC Albacore tuna ($30), which was presented beautifully. Thinly sliced, seared (and rare on the inside), and paired with rice and assorted vegetables, the dish was gorgeous inside and out. It was exactly what I was looking for, and a flavour that I will definitely be back again to enjoy.

Two of my friends ordered the pekin duck ($32) and both spent a good amount of time proclaiming their undying love for the fowl. I was too busy devouring my tuna to try, but the satisfied expressions on their faces said it all. Another point for Blink's chef.

We finished our meal with three desserts, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were. By this point I imagine we were done with the second bottle (being shared between just one friend and myself) and into the Taylor Tawney 25 year, so please forgive my complete inability to describe them. However, I do recall them not lasting very long- take that for what it's worth.

At the end of the evening the total bill was $550, tax and tip included (four people). It may sound steep, but $170 worth of wine inflates the price.

Conclusion:

I am always hesitant to give a restaurant a bad review, and in the case of Blink, the review wasn't bad so much as I felt underwhelmed- it didn't live up to the potential I knew it had. My second visit asserted what I knew in the back of my mind: Blink is a polished, presentable, and capable restaurant that delivers on its relatively ambitious presentation. Contemporary flair, combined with a hint of old-world charm and decadent meals are always a solid combination. Blink appears to have pulled it off beautifully.

It's with enthusiasm that I add Blink to my list of restaurants to frequent on a regular basis. I recommend that others, even if you've had a negative experience in the past, give it a try. Sometimes a restaurant just needs a bit more time to come into its own, as was clearly the case with Blink.

Khalil.e
09-26-2009, 05:51 PM
A790 Reviewed Blink very accurately in my opinion, went last night and would definitely recommend to others.
(service was the one area where they could definitely use some work)

Speed_69
09-26-2009, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by A790

At the end of the evening the total bill was $550, tax and tip included (four people). It may sound steep, but $170 worth of wine inflates the price.

A790, sorry for questioning you but you tipped $170?!?
Sorry if i'm sounding cheap to some of you (i'm asian)

I'm just looking at the menu because i plan on going here very soon myself but your bill just doesn't add up to me.
4 - $32 meals = ~$128
2 Appetizers = $28
3 Desserts = $36
Wine= $170
GST= ~$18
TOTAL= $380

adidas
09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

A790, sorry for questioning you but you tipped $170?!?
Sorry if i'm sounding cheap to some of you (i'm asian)

I'm just looking at the menu because i plan on going here very soon myself but your bill just doesn't add up to me.
4 - $32 meals = ~$128
2 Appetizers = $28
3 Desserts = $36
Wine= $170
GST= ~$18
TOTAL= $380

Originally posted by A790
Between the four of us we enjoyed two bottles of wine, numerous cocktails, ports, liqueurs, and three courses.

A790
10-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Two of us are involved in the industry and tend to tip higher. The tip was somewhere in the neighbourhood of $100.

nonlinear
10-13-2009, 07:55 PM
A790, i always enjoy reading your awesome reviews - thanks for this update. i will have to make some reservations for this fall.

:thumbsup:

A790
10-14-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
A790, i always enjoy reading your awesome reviews - thanks for this update. i will have to make some reservations for this fall.

Hey thanks man, I appreciate it :)

Speed_69
10-14-2009, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

A790 definitely has the best restaurant reviews on Beyond. I've also made reservations for this restaurant for 3 weeks from now for a special occasion. :thumbsup: