PDA

View Full Version : how to import cars from japan to canada?

dk.
12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
i've been planning to purchase a skyline gtr recently
im a student so im currently saving up some $ as of this moment
my buddy just told me that importing the skyline from japan would be alot cheaper

why is that? and how does importing a car from japan works?
im a newb on the topic of importing cars. can anyone take time to explain step-by-step on how to import cars from japan also?

thanks alot

KRyn
12-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Try the search button, tool.

funkedelic2
12-07-2008, 05:32 PM
oh Boy...

Why don't you just buy one here. I see almost as many skylines for sale as civics. There are many people that can also bring them in for you, saving you the hassle of taking care of the importing process yourself.

badatusrnames
12-07-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
oh Boy...

Why don't you just buy one here. I see almost as many skylines for sale as civics. There are many people that can also bring them in for you, saving you the hassle of taking care of the importing process yourself.

:werd:

You might save a bit initially by importing your own, but the potential headaches could be huge. Buy one already landed that you can get a good look at.

And it's probably not the best student car...

kylejw
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
It's a buyers market here. You will get it a little cheaper initially if you import one, but before you even get it registered you will have spent more than if you purchase one from someone here.

Plus it's good karma, you buy someones Skyline now and maybe it'll be easier to sell it in 6 months when you almost certainly will want to.

chkolny541
12-07-2008, 09:33 PM
please dont..

duck
12-07-2008, 09:44 PM
LHD is soo much better than RHD!!!!

semograd
12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by duck
I hope you're talking about the steering and not the car quality/price

It's also more of a personal preference, I only drive RHD

dk pm me I'll tell you the cheapest possible place to get a GTR, about 3k cheaper than the cheapest GTR for sale in calgary

semograd
12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
please dont..

Can I ask why not ?

cjay^
12-07-2008, 10:08 PM

Sorry, but I'd gladly take my S13 with absolutely no rust, a cooler front end, and stock 205hp over a rust bucket with 250,000 km any day, no matter what side the steering wheel is on.

1997GSR
12-07-2008, 10:14 PM
not to sound like a douche, but if you are a student you may want to consider sticking with a Honda.

Deetz
12-07-2008, 10:19 PM
Rhd, lhd, it doesn't really matter.....but i will say this. If you are looking to buy in import from Japan, consider getting a model that has crossover parts. That way if you need a mechanical part, or windsheild perhaps, parts will be easy to get. Something to think about :thumbsup:

sergejsk2
12-07-2008, 10:59 PM
Don't bother, buy a jap car thats already here, with the cost of the dollar in canada at this point in time, it would be just plain stupid to import a car that usually costed 9g couple months ago to what is now costing 13g.. avoid all the hassles, find a car here, go do your own inspections, make sure everythings blah blah save yourself time/money. :thumbsup:

semograd
12-07-2008, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by sergejsk2
Don't bother, buy a jap car thats already here, with the cost of the dollar in canada at this point in time, it would be just plain stupid to import a car that usually costed 9g couple months ago to what is now costing 13g.. avoid all the hassles, find a car here, go do your own inspections, make sure everythings blah blah save yourself time/money. :thumbsup:
thats true too, no one is buying right now due to Jap yen being so strong and USA dollar against Canadian

xxviet
02-08-2009, 10:38 PM

true that!

SRT10Killer
02-08-2009, 10:58 PM
do a bit or searching, there are better options than a GTR that are cheaper

R33 is almost as strong as a GTR
Soarers are about 1/2 of the price and just as fast being wayyyy more reliable(xept no awd)
GTOs in a TT are equal, and much better looking/lot more rare

gcoap
02-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by xxviet

true that!

Did you really just bump a 2 month old thread just to let people know that you like LHD more then RHD?

rpalm35
02-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by gcoap

Did you really just bump a 2 month old thread just to let people know that you like LHD more then RHD?

:rofl:

But seriously,you should really think about buying one in Calgary! Importing one yourself is a total hit or miss.

When I imported a skyline a couple years ago, looking at the auction sheet, it was in mint condition. When I got it to Calgary and got it inspected there was tons of things wrong with it, that in turn ended costing me $4000.00 over just a couple weeks..

skylinegtr20
02-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Deetz
Rhd, lhd, it doesn't really matter.....but i will say this. If you are looking to buy in import from Japan, consider getting a model that has crossover parts. That way if you need a mechanical part, or windsheild perhaps, parts will be easy to get. Something to think about :thumbsup:

Check out GTRCanada. Parts are readily available across Canada. And a few companys make replacement windshields for the Skyline.

Originally posted by SRT10Killer
do a bit or searching, there are better options than a GTR that are cheaper

R33 is almost as strong as a GTR
Soarers are about 1/2 of the price and just as fast being wayyyy more reliable(xept no awd)
GTOs in a TT are equal, and much better looking/lot more rare

R33 -RWD and a totally different car than a R32 GTR.
Soarer - Luxury car, and even harder to find parts for
GTO's - Not equal, suspension is sloppy transmissions are garbage and are not a GTR:)

I am a bit baises however as I own a GTR, and have owned the 3 cars listed above.

Let me know if you would like to import a car, I have imported alot of cars from Japan and Europe and can help you threw the process

SRT10Killer
02-10-2009, 04:00 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by skylinegtr20
[B]

Check out GTRCanada. Parts are readily available across Canada. And a few companys make replacement windshields for the Skyline.

R33 -RWD and a totally different car than a R32 GTR.
Soarer - Luxury car, and even harder to find parts for
GTO's - Not equal, suspension is sloppy transmissions are garbage and are not a GTR:)

I am a bit baises however as I own a GTR, and have owned the 3 cars listed above.

R33 is different, but price wise In japan I can get it for half price of a GTR and still don't feel much power difference.
Soarer- Luxury with traction/abs, EXTREMELY easy to source parts, except the winshield lol.

GTO: more than equal, factory lsd, abs transmission is garbage if you do 50 launches per year as with most other 5 speeds, 94+ gto has a 6 speed(25 spline 300mm shaft) do all the launches you want more indestructible than a 5 speed from a 7M supra. Suspension is amazing I can take turns at 140+. Are you forgetting about how it's adjustable ? sports/tour ? Was your Sports/Tour light flashing when you had this, if you did that means your suspension is is on in default which is why it was "sloppy" Last but not least nowhere near as ugly as the 89-94 GTR
Oil pumps don't fail every 30-40k like the gtr

You might have had very bad luck buying a vr4, not many people do maintenance on them and just sell em as shitboxes with 2k+ of repairs
or maybe it was just an N/A model that you had.

I'm also biased but the price is ridiculous compared to a GTO and other similar awd/turbo cars.

skylinegtr20
02-10-2009, 09:17 PM
You can pick up a decent low km GTR for under $10,000 now if you search the right area's and don't pick up a pos.

I had nothing wrong with my gto, everything worked perfect but it is much much different than a GTR. Car had 23,000kms original with one owner, up to date service history, and absolutely mint body/interior.

Have you driven a GTR before? It is completely different in handling. To me the GTO seemed very sloppy with handling, the swaybar's created alot of body roll, and the overall feel inside the car was greatly matched by many cars I have driven.

The GTR however is a very small car, not in weight but in the feel. With small interior, stiff suspension options, and little body roll. It feel's like your driving a car meant to be driven hard.

Not saying the GTO wasn't good, much better than S13's Z32's Supra etc.. Just feel with proper fine tuning the GTR suspension is unmatched when considering the 15 year old japanese cars we have to choose from.

-------

ANYWAY back on topic

:hijack:

heavyD
02-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
not to sound like a douche, but if you are a student you may want to consider sticking with a Honda.

Ha Ha. The best advice in the thread comes from a banned poster lol.:rofl: :rofl:

IhateDomestic
02-11-2009, 09:05 AM
^^^ It's true though.

If you aint got cash flow ($60-$100 every 3 days for gas)
+Insurance on that car for you young one
+Nissan not cheap, Nissan mo xpensive dan HOOONDa.
+^^Maintenance

Honda's won't eat gas like the GT-R

Get a civic or integra until you have a good cash flow for a GT-R.
:dunno:

DonJuan
02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
If I remember correctly most students take the loser crusier. Not me, just what I remember.

And PLZ don't bring in another JDM Mustang. There are plenty here to chose from.

narou
02-11-2009, 12:16 PM
www.jdmconnection.ca

bobyo_2001
02-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Really man leave it to some one else to imprt them just buy it off them and youll be much better off i hadtried to get into it and it is quite difficult so leave it to some one who has established a name in japan or something.

Tezzating
02-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Its a big enough pain owning an already landed, already OOC & OOP'd in Alberta JDM.. and its not like there's a shortage of them available in the second hand market so why would you bother bringing in your own ?

I'm in on the "buy a Honda/Acura" bandwagon :P

Genjuro
03-05-2009, 06:29 PM
sorry to bump this old as$ thread again,
but I remember someone telling me that when importing a car from Japan, you should avoid getting them from certain areas more than others because they tend to be really rusty from there... does anyone know where that might be?