PDA

View Full Version : Sit down pizza place?

HybridTheory
12-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Can anyone recommended a sit down good place for pizza? I'm looking for something other than Pizza Hut or Boston Pizza.

Thanks.

hampstor
12-07-2008, 09:01 PM
Earls has Pizza. Actually, are you after the 'gourmet' pizzas like that, or the takeout kind?

Weapon_R
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Spiros isn't too bad. Not as great as some make it but its good Greek food.

CausalInfluence
12-07-2008, 09:07 PM
Matador Pizza In shagganappi village just se of market mall

Kloubek
12-07-2008, 09:08 PM
I believe there is a huge thread on pizza already? Do a search and you'll find a ton of suggestions there.

HybridTheory
12-07-2008, 09:11 PM
Hmmm no, not the gourmet kind. I know that Pucchinela's in Kensington is good for the gourmet stuff. I want to find a place that's more laid back than there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Tearin
12-07-2008, 09:17 PM
Il Centro - not too far from Chinook Centre. A hole in the wall put completely authentic - the owner is from Naples. You're wise to make a reservation as it's tough to get in.

integra_xsi
12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
i like the wedge on 17th ave uptown

nonlinear
12-07-2008, 09:25 PM
Matador, Il Centro, Sandro's (need reservations), any Tom's house of pizza, or Pizza Bob's on Kensington road.

Tom's and Pizza Bob's are classic pizza parlours, Matador is a greek/italian restaurant and lounge restaurant/pub, and il centro and sandro's are casual italian restaurants

all have great pizza

Weapon_R
12-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Pizza bob is one dirty ass place. If you want to see overweight bar hags and the typical country karaoke crowd, that's the kind of place it is. The pizza is decent but the ambiance is awful.

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Pizza bob is one dirty ass place. If you want to see overweight bar hags and the typical country karaoke crowd, that's the kind of place it is. The pizza is decent but the ambiance is awful.

^^yea, i agree completely. thankfully there is no smoking in that place any more. it was even worse when they allowed smoking haha

they do have stella on tap, but the glasses are fingerprinted, etc LOL. nothing like drinking stella from a smudgy pint glass (ick)

but, if you're in the mood for a greasy spoon type place, it might be OK. actually, it kinda has a cafe de tokyo type vibe, in that sense LOLOL

clem24
12-08-2008, 01:16 AM
Go check out Pizza Hotline. By the Carriage House Inn.

http://www.pizzahotline.ca/

They serve excellent Pizzas.

The other place that I really like.. Is Pizza Hut haha. It seems to be a love/hate thing. I grew up with Pizza Hut so I love it. The sit down ones are a dying breed, but the one in Brentwood is still going, and there might be on McLeod somewhere.

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 01:32 AM
^^^ a.k.a Cafe 22 right next to co-op, south of heritage on macleod.

i've had a take out pie from there once, it was pretty decent for $9.99. i got the thin crust, it was a NYC-style and very foldable. it was OK but definately not in the same league as some of the others mentioned above.

but, I think they do have another 'line' of pizzas there, that you can get when dining in. based on the menu, they seem to be their 'premium' line of pies - smaller and higher priced, and with 'gourmet' topping combinations on them. always wanted to give them a try, but never gotten around to it. they look good.

buh_buh
12-08-2008, 01:34 AM
I've heard Matador is good, but have never been there myself.

Evo prec
12-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Tearin
Il Centro - not too far from Chinook Centre. A hole in the wall put completely authentic - the owner is from Naples. You're wise to make a reservation as it's tough to get in.

i would say this is the best pizza in the city

Davetronz
12-09-2008, 12:02 AM
As I posted in the other thread, Mitilinis pizza in Silver Springs always gets my vote. I think Sundays are their 50% off day or something. Eat in only.

suen_boi
12-09-2008, 04:53 PM
Pulcinella in Kensington

Idratherbsidewayz
12-09-2008, 05:01 PM
I really like Basil's in Marda Loop. Its not very big, tucked into a corner next to a pub by the main intersection.

ekguy
12-09-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Hmmm no, not the gourmet kind. I know that Pucchinela's in Kensington is good for the gourmet stuff. I want to find a place that's more laid back than there.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

It's spelled Pulcinella by the way.

I went through this thread before hand to see if anyone would recommend this place...

+1 for Pulcinella

Great pizza, great toppings, great appetizers.

The Polenta Lasagna is amazing to say the least. Could have a wider selection of wine...Has alot of wine but they are mostly or possibly all from Italy which is a shame since there are many great wines from many other countries...

TDFTW
12-12-2008, 02:37 AM
Check out Coco Brooks!

clem24
12-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Davetronz
As I posted in the other thread, Mitilinis pizza in Silver Springs always gets my vote. I think Sundays are their 50% off day or something. Eat in only.

Hmm.. I keep getting flyers delivered from them and have been meaning to check them out. Maybe this will be enough to motivate me haha.

Davetronz
12-12-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by clem24

Hmm.. I keep getting flyers delivered from them and have been meaning to check them out. Maybe this will be enough to motivate me haha.

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. I've taken quite a few people there, and my parents who are insanely picky absolutely love their pizza.

To whomever brought up coco brooks, thank you, I needed a lunch idea for today! :drool: :drool:

nonlinear
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
any more comments on coco brooks? I live about 5 minutes from the blackfoot location, and have anways been meaning to stop in there, but haven't gotten aroiund to it yet.

are all their pies take and bake, or do they have a dining room? when you cook it at home, how does it compare to a pie from a real pizza oven? (we have a unglazed quarry tile for baking/making pizza)

FreakinPrince
12-12-2008, 01:23 PM
coco brooks are great..i loved them...

they have an eat in area where you order and you can grab your food and go sit and eat

you can also take the pie home if you want. dont' know if they have the frozen ones?
hmmm

nonlinear
12-12-2008, 02:09 PM
^^not sure about frozen, but i'm pretty sure it's a take-n-bake place (i.e. they are made fresh but not cooked, you take them out fresh but raw and bake them at home)

EDIT: just looked at their website, and the crusts look REALLY thick. actually, it even says that the owner "felt that to make a great pizza, the crust had to be thick.

that's too bad, cause I really hate pizza that has a thick, bready crust... like all of the so-called "chicago" deep dish joints around calgary. the way see it, the crust should be a vector for the toppings, not a loaf of bread with toppings on top. just seems like a super cheap ass way to fill people up.

also, note that all of the most renown pizzas in the world are based on thin crusts... nepolatean, nyc, chicago (yes, even deep dish pizzas have a THIN crust), etc. etc. etc

kamakurakid
12-12-2008, 03:09 PM
Spiros is the best I have had in Calgary.

Redlyne_mr2
12-12-2008, 03:13 PM
Always enjoyed toms house of pizza.

clem24
12-13-2008, 08:42 PM
Stopped by Il Centro on snow night. Figured it was better to hang out rather than wasting time fighting traffic.

Anyway, definitely 2 x :thumbsup: . Best calamari ever. I had pizza and it was awesome! Even my wife had a few bites and she loved it.. and she hates pizza. Her pasta was also really good, albeit a little too salty but quite flavourful. Definitely recommmend.

nonlinear
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
^^yea, il centro makes some mean pie.

you can also call ahead and order pies for take-out, which is nice cause they get extremely busy there, and like most Italian-run restaurants, the service can be bad at times because they focus on larger tables headed by old white men and their families and tend to neglect younger people, small tables, and anyone who doesn't look rich. haha.

this is a tangent, but i've noticed this at Sandro's on several occassions as well. I was in my mid-20s when i used to frequent there, and i would usually go with just one or two girls, or maybe my little brother (early 20s). anyhow, the servers would totally neglect us. then, when i took my boss (weatlhy and highyl educated, and looks like it) there for his birthday, they totally sucked up to us and kissed our ass and waited on us hand and foot.

funny thing is, I was paying the bill, and tipping them too. i wish they would give the same level of service when i go in in my jeans and t-shirt. :thumbsdow

swak
12-13-2008, 10:27 PM
...i cant believe it hasn't been posted yet....
But Nicks Steak House + Pizza.
Best pizza ive EVER had!

broken_legs
12-14-2008, 12:33 AM
Toms Pizza

Nicks Pizza & Steakhouse

bulaian
12-14-2008, 12:42 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
^^not sure about frozen, but i'm pretty sure it's a take-n-bake place (i.e. they are made fresh but not cooked, you take them out fresh but raw and bake them at home)

EDIT: just looked at their website, and the crusts look REALLY thick. actually, it even says that the owner "felt that to make a great pizza, the crust had to be thick.

that's too bad, cause I really hate pizza that has a thick, bready crust... like all of the so-called "chicago" deep dish joints around calgary. the way see it, the crust should be a vector for the toppings, not a loaf of bread with toppings on top. just seems like a super cheap ass way to fill people up.

also, note that all of the most renown pizzas in the world are based on thin crusts... nepolatean, nyc, chicago (yes, even deep dish pizzas have a THIN crust), etc. etc. etc

i'm not sure if coco brooks has take n bake pizzas.

I've gotten their frozen ones before. They are already cooked, you just need to pop them in the overn to reheat them.

The crosts aren't really that thick and puffy. the dough is by all means not a thin crust but the topping go right to the edge pretty much, so you're not left with a lot of empty dough

D. Dub
12-14-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by swak
...i cant believe it hasn't been posted yet....
But Nicks Steak House + Pizza.
Best pizza ive EVER had!

x2

great service too.

nonlinear
12-14-2008, 12:21 PM
i think nicks pizza is just OK... it's far better than the 2-for-1 arab pizza places that seem to dominate the scene now, but I don't find Nicks pies to be any better or different than that found in any of the hundreds of other 1970s Greek steak houses that litter the city. IMO, the standout in that genre is Matador in varsity.

nonlinear
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
maybe i should also point out that nick's son Tim (former stampeders player) is now making pizzas and selling them frozen. they are on a whole-wheat THIN crust and have some nice flavor combinations. they are pretty good for a frozen pizza.

he does this mostly for fundraising groups, i think, but you can also find him giving samples and selling frozen pies at farmers markets in the summer. www.timsgourmetpizza.com (but site not working for some reason)

nj2Type-S
12-14-2008, 04:10 PM
any good place around the evergreen/shawnessy area?

Black Gts
12-14-2008, 08:53 PM
^^^ pizza delight on 162nd..

nj2Type-S
12-14-2008, 11:15 PM
tried that and i didn't like it that much....i actually preferred the greasy pizza at getta pizza in the bridlewood strip mall there by sobeys, lol.

ekguy
12-15-2008, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Black Gts
^^^ pizza delight on 162nd..

I fucking love Pizza Delight. It's from New Brunswick originally and now they have followed maritimers out here as well...I go at least once a month. But I don't always have pizza there though.

nonlinear
12-16-2008, 10:01 AM
this is a *bit* off topic i guess, but has anyone tried the take out pizza at Sobey's? i was grocery shopping last saturday night and noticed there was a woman in there waiting for what appeared to be 2 hot and fresh pizzas being taken out of a Hobart pizza oven. maybe it's just the pre-made deli pies that they sell in store, or maybe they can make them to order, but i wonder if they're any good.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2008, 10:08 AM
Michael's Restaurant Pizza Bar & Rooftop Patio‎ :thumbsup:

Davetronz
12-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
this is a *bit* off topic i guess, but has anyone tried the take out pizza at Sobey's? i was grocery shopping last saturday night and noticed there was a woman in there waiting for what appeared to be 2 hot and fresh pizzas being taken out of a Hobart pizza oven. maybe it's just the pre-made deli pies that they sell in store, or maybe they can make them to order, but i wonder if they're any good.
Of all the store bought pizza's I like the Sobey's ones the best. I've never had them cook them for me, I just take em home and toss them in the oven on a pizza stone, but I almost prefer that pizza to take out/delivery from slums like Panago, Papa Johns, Domino's or the Hut.

nonlinear
12-16-2008, 11:04 AM
^^ oh cool, i'll try it out next time i'm lazy and thinking about delivery hahahah

Toms-SC
12-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Toms House of Pizza

clem24
12-16-2008, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Davetronz

Of all the store bought pizza's I like the Sobey's ones the best. I've never had them cook them for me, I just take em home and toss them in the oven on a pizza stone, but I almost prefer that pizza to take out/delivery from slums like Panago, Papa Johns, Domino's or the Hut.

I dunno... I had them and personally thought it wasn't very good. Are these the premade ones in the deli section? I find them too dry.

HOWEVER... Sobey's sells fresh crusts with sauce.. They come in white, wheat, and multigrain. I tried the multigrain one with President's Choice Gooey Mozzarella and tons 'o toppings and it was fantastic!! The crust is a little thick for those thin enthusiasts, but me personally, I actually prefer it to 75% of take out places. Also, I'll never eat the frozen or premade ones (like with veggies and cheese already on) because I find either crust is too dry or toppings just don't seem fresh enough.

Here's my pizza ranking:

1.) Il Centro
2.) Dominoes Brooklyn Style (and nothing else)
3.) Pizza Spot
4.) Pizza Hut Pan
5.) Sobey's fresh crust + my own toppings + bake at home

Davetronz
12-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by clem24

I dunno... I had them and personally thought it wasn't very good. Are these the premade ones in the deli section? I find them too dry.

HOWEVER... Sobey's sells fresh crusts with sauce.. They come in white, wheat, and multigrain. I tried the multigrain one with President's Choice Gooey Mozzarella and tons 'o toppings and it was fantastic!! The crust is a little thick for those thin enthusiasts, but me personally, I actually prefer it to 75% of take out places. Also, I'll never eat the frozen or premade ones (like with veggies and cheese already on) because I find either crust is too dry or toppings just don't seem fresh enough.

Here's my pizza ranking:

1.) Il Centro
2.) Dominoes Brooklyn Style (and nothing else)
3.) Pizza Spot
4.) Pizza Hut Pan
5.) Sobey's fresh crust + my own toppings + bake at home
Might be a bit dependent on the store. I know the one in McKenzie seems to slather a lot of sauce and cheese on them and they are never dry.

sputnik
12-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I find the same thing with Panago. The McKenzie Towne location is GREAT. Probably my favorite delivery pizza near my house.

The other Panago pizzas I have had elsewhere have been really skimpy on toppings and sauce.

Davetronz
12-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
I find the same thing with Panago. The McKenzie Towne location is GREAT. Probably my favorite delivery pizza near my house.

The other Panago pizzas I have had elsewhere have been really skimpy on toppings and sauce.
See thats weird, I hate the McKenzie Panago, I find their crust really floury and tough and there is never enough toppings/sauce. :dunno:

2soobies4me
01-23-2009, 10:17 PM
Pizza Bobs at the end of Kensington Rd,in the same strip mall as the 7-11...Well worth the trip from anywhere in the city.Trust me boys,i'm a city worker,we know all the best places to eat.This place will not disappoint.

crez
01-26-2009, 11:15 PM
Olive Grove in Midnapore has great pizza and nice place to sit and eat.

nismodrifter
01-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Went to Pizza Delight on 162nd for the first time a couple weeks ago. I never really go into that corner of Bridlewood, never knew there was so much stuff up there. The food was pretty good, dessert was great, overall a nice clean place to go eat. I'd definately go there again.