PDA

View Full Version : anyone here being effected by the "recession"?

Pages : [1] 2

wiggaplz
12-07-2008, 09:47 PM
Anyone here effected by the current global recession?

Are there plenty of new guys coming to your company or are things drying up?

Discuss.

Antonito
12-07-2008, 09:54 PM
Out here in Vancouver the construction industry is seeing lots of layoffs and project stoppages.

The company I'm with is pretty lucky, we're working on the Olympic venues, and those will keep going even if the government has to start physically robbing people to pay for them.

After those are done though..... :dunno:

Pacman
12-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by wiggaplz
Anyone here effected by the current global recession?

Are there plenty of new guys coming to your company or are things drying up?

Discuss.

What recession? It's different here than other places. Better hurry up and buy a house before you are priced out of the market!

1997GSR
12-07-2008, 10:28 PM
nope.

i do feel sorry for some students graduating 09 :eek:

corsvette
12-07-2008, 10:36 PM
Has been quite slow for me,I buy and sell heavy equipment for construction and oilfield,but sping is the busy time of year anyway,so i will wait and see.

avishal26
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 1997GSR
nope.

i do feel sorry for some students graduating 09 :eek:

That would be me....:(

GTS Jeff
12-07-2008, 11:22 PM
nope.

i do feel sorry for some students graduating 09 :eek: Why? It's the best time IMO...everything is cheap and the recession will weed out the weak.

For a student's analogy, it's like writing a hard final exam. Sure it's tough, but it's much easier to distinguish yourself from the rest. There's nothing worse than an easy exam where everyone gets 90% and you therefore need 99% to get a high grade.

broken_legs
12-07-2008, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

What recession? It's different here than other places. Better hurry up and buy a house before you are priced out of the market!

lol

what the hell?

kylejw
12-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Why? It's the best time IMO...everything is cheap and the recession will weed out the weak.

For a student's analogy, it's like writing a hard final exam. Sure it's tough, but it's much easier to distinguish yourself from the rest. There's nothing worse than an easy exam where everyone gets 90% and you therefore need 99% to get a high grade.

Exactly... but what if I'm slightly (read: a lot) worse at everything than everyone else?

rc2002
12-08-2008, 12:04 AM
^ Then move out East. The government will hand out money to everyone who holds their arms out over there.

Antonito
12-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Why? It's the best time IMO...everything is cheap and the recession will weed out the weak.

Ummm, what?

I understand the cheap properties part, but the rest is pretty dumb.

It's easier to distinguish yourself in a market where everyone is on autopilot because of guaranteed money, rather than a market where everyone suddenly has to give a shit because there aren't jobs just waiting to be filled.

That and the whole guaranteed job thing in general, which is always better than having to worry if you will find decent employment right away.

As a new grad, most are automatically part of the "weak", as they require lots of training and experience just to become somewhat competent. Projects that are under major stress to keep hours low aren't going to want to have waste hours teaching someone how to use basic software.

Regardless, it's pretty shitty for new grads who had been hearing since they had started school that if they did well they could get 30% raises every year, only to come out and face this economy, where in many places, regardless of skill, people are not getting the mega raises they used to.

rc2002
12-08-2008, 12:12 AM
I wouldn't consider this shitty for new grads. The job prospects now are still far far far better than they were after the tech bubble burst in 2002. It was hard as hell to find jobs in 2002 in any field.

I remember Nortel was offering volunteer positions at the time.

Weapon_R
12-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
^ Then move out East. The government will hand out money to everyone who holds their arms out over there.

Better yet, stay here but tell people you're from the East. We'll understand.

Sorath
12-08-2008, 01:24 AM
yup, big time, no one buying any cars

inline6turbo
12-08-2008, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
yup, big time, no one buying any cars

werd x2 :drama: :facepalm: :banghead:

GTS Jeff
12-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Antonito

Ummm, what?

I understand the cheap properties part, but the rest is pretty dumb.

It's easier to distinguish yourself in a market where everyone is on autopilot because of guaranteed money, rather than a market where everyone suddenly has to give a shit because there aren't jobs just waiting to be filled.

That and the whole guaranteed job thing in general, which is always better than having to worry if you will find decent employment right away.

As a new grad, most are automatically part of the "weak", as they require lots of training and experience just to become somewhat competent. Projects that are under major stress to keep hours low aren't going to want to have waste hours teaching someone how to use basic software.

Regardless, it's pretty shitty for new grads who had been hearing since they had started school that if they did well they could get 30% raises every year, only to come out and face this economy, where in many places, regardless of skill, people are not getting the mega raises they used to. My opinion...if you don't understand it, too bad I guess. I'm not going to explain myself in detail to some stranger over the internet. Don't take it personally.

gpomp
12-08-2008, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Antonito
blah don't argue with jeff or rage2. both are never wrong, even if they disagree.

GTS Jeff
12-08-2008, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by gpomp
don't argue with jeff or rage2. both are never wrong, even if they disagree. Don't lump me with rage2 - fuck you. I'm often wrong and I'm comfortable with admitting to it too.

bspot
12-08-2008, 04:30 AM

I came out of school during the tech crash, and trust me... it isn't a good thing. At all.

I was one of about 5 people in all of Software Engineering that had a job lined up for when school was done. There were zero jobs posted for what I was planning on doing out of school, so I ended up doing something that wasn't my first choice for a job. I had to apply for what was out there, and luckily won out over something like 300 applicants for that one job. Does that mean I was the best out of those 300? No way. The guy doing the hiring admitted he was just throwing away resumes for the smallest spelling mistakes just because he needed some criteria to whittle down the field. After that it was still a toss up with hundreds left. He had to throw away many very good resumes because it was impossible to interview that many people. You could end up in the throw away pile even if you are the best suited for the job.

Then there is pay... I got paid like shit compared to the people coming out of my program the year before. It took me about 3 years to catch up to where I should have been, and that required a change of companies. Once you start for low pay they aren't just going to bump you up because times get good again. But you will watch the new grads roll in getting 70K a year (as was happening last year).

Coming out of school in a recession blows. No two ways about it.

The only good part I can see, is if you do manage to get a job, then you can buy a place earlier than a lot of other people and you might save huge. That happened to me luckily.

7thgenvic
12-08-2008, 05:02 AM
It is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE time for anything remotely involved in new grad hires. Most of my friends only were signed because they worked summer internships for the past 3 years as a student. New grads with Zero experience weren't even considered. Even with decent grades. :( Not looking forward to coming home and starting the job hunt

Rat Fink
12-08-2008, 06:13 AM

pegasus
12-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Lol I am from Windsor, Ontario.

Need I say more? Only a few more days till I see the GM Headquarters building say TATA on it.

YamahaV8
12-08-2008, 08:25 AM
Where I work we seem to be doing well so far. Infact we are looking for an apprentice and a fully licensed enginner at the moment. No sign of layoffs that I can see.

Kloubek
12-08-2008, 08:44 AM
Noticed nothing at all on my side.

Though I am not considering moving on from my job of 8 years any longer. Do not want to risk job security in return for a bit more pay...

7thgenvic
12-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

Just stay in Denmark man. Lots of frendly hotties in Fredericia!

HAH. Denmark is great for drinking and beautiful women. As for Rent payments and the cost of living...Not worth it at the moment

Caramel Cod
12-08-2008, 09:03 AM
I bet the civic fanboys are happy there's a recession because those pos's are ez on gas!

Tik-Tok
12-08-2008, 09:14 AM
Ways, the recession have affected me?

I've decided to suck it up and stay in my current career/position because it's the safe bet, also I've seen better service in restaurants in the past 3 months then in the past 3 years.

Other than those 2 things, not much else.

Kritafo
12-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by pegasus
Lol I am from Windsor, Ontario.

Need I say more? Only a few more days till I see the GM Headquarters building say TATA on it.

But then you can go on a house shopping spree, that is of course unless you work for GM.

Toms-SC
12-08-2008, 12:35 PM
Has not effected me at all. We get weekly updates on how the company is doing and we are still going to meet our projected forecast set before the 'recession'.

89coupe
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
2009 will be really bad for Calgary. People are just starting to feel the effects. Most Oil & Gas companies have cut their budgets considerably, this will have an effect on the entire city. Its a trickle down effect. The big guys get hit first, the little guys will feel it last.

wiggaplz
12-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe
2009 will be really bad for Calgary. People are just starting to feel the effects. Most Oil & Gas companies have cut their budgets considerably, this will have an effect on the entire city. Its a trickle down effect. The big guys get hit first, the little guys will feel it last.

you callin' me little, punk?:drama:

pegasus
12-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo

But then you can go on a house shopping spree, that is of course unless you work for GM.

Lol... I was a Production Supervisor for them 2 years ago.

But naw... just in school now.

Antonito
12-08-2008, 06:32 PM
My opinion...if you don't understand it, too bad I guess. I'm not going to explain myself in detail to some stranger over the internet. Don't take it personally. :rofl:

rage2
12-08-2008, 07:07 PM
Don't lump me with rage2 - fuck you. I'm often wrong and I'm comfortable with admitting to it too.
don't lump me with GTS Jeff fucker, when I'm wrong I admit it. When jeff's wrong, he'll be a baby about it :rofl:.

johnboy27
12-08-2008, 07:29 PM
My company is still busy as hell, still hiring 150 more guys.

Chandler_Racing
12-08-2008, 07:32 PM

I agree; however, in my opinion the big guys will be hit last as they have significant cash flows in many cases to weather the storm while the little guys can't obtain any financing.

johnboy27
12-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If that was the case then nobody would ever move to Alberta for work, try again. That is only the case if you are native, black or a female on welfare. Nobody else can get shit.

TheCheff
12-08-2008, 07:54 PM
I know colt engineering & HATCH have laid off alot of people already. Alot of major O&G projects have been canceled for next year or had their budget cut in half. Like 89coupe said it will be here soon enough.

Brendan_4g63
12-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Yup...
Sucks..

max_boost
12-08-2008, 09:08 PM

In other news, oil is on its way up.

Affected in the sense that I'm postponing raising the menu prices. But so far business hasn't been affected, fortunately.

r0g3r
12-08-2008, 09:17 PM
^ hey max you own a restaurant?

I didn't know :burnout:

thrasher22
12-08-2008, 09:33 PM
A bunch of people were laid off at my company in other cities, including people I needed urgent things from to meet deadlines :banghead: but we fortunately we seem safe so far in Calgary...

joyridder
12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Here in Victoria is really slowing construction wise. The company I manage finances for is having a few cashflow problems. Having projects that don't pay on time really hurts mandatory financial obligations. Hard to decide where to cut costs, but I would have to say our labour costs is the only place to really start. You hate having to be apart of that decision to lay someone off....:dunno:

ExtraSlow
12-08-2008, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Chandler_Racing

I agree; however, in my opinion the big guys will be hit last as they have significant cash flows in many cases to weather the storm while the little guys can't obtain any financing.
While it may be true that the little guys have to cut back first. Don't think that the Big guys are unaffected. I work for a fortune 500 major independent oil and gas company. We had our longstanding line of credit with a major US bank pulled, because they don't have the money to lend us.
We've made huge cuts to our capital program for 2009.
The combination of unavailable credit and low energy prices means that we can't drill anything near as much as we had planned.
Even some of our remaining 2008 budget is being cut. We shut down rigs this week that we had planned on keeping busy all winter.

B20EF
12-08-2008, 11:09 PM
I work at major hotel downtown and we are seeing major cancellations for the beginning of next year. We primarily have O&G Texans stay here, it seems they don't like Calgary anymore.

I also graduate my degree next week :thumbsdow

wiggaplz
12-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

While it may be true that the little guys have to cut back first. Don't think that the Big guys are unaffected. I work for a fortune 500 major independent oil and gas company. We had our longstanding line of credit with a major US bank pulled, because they don't have the money to lend us.
We've made huge cuts to our capital program for 2009.
The combination of unavailable credit and low energy prices means that we can't drill anything near as much as we had planned.
Even some of our remaining 2008 budget is being cut. We shut down rigs this week that we had planned on keeping busy all winter.
Oil Exco??

rixxx
12-09-2008, 12:42 AM

WWJAI
12-09-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by rixxx
anybody guessing on how long this is going to last...i sure as hell don't want to come out of my degree with all this happening

i'm about to end my semester and i been sending my resume out like crazy for the last month...worries me that i have no job lined up for me once i finish school

ExtraSlow
12-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by wiggaplz

Oil Exco??
Oilexco is small time. I'm talking a company over Fifty times larger by Market Cap.

The Cosworth
12-09-2008, 11:09 AM
Nothing yet, as a couple people have said I have decided that I am happy where I am as long as I am getting paid.

We are historically sheltered from a slow down as long as it isn't too severe. Lucky though we are years behind on maintenance because of the last 5 years of total neglect plus the normal maintenance cycle.

The only thing I can think of is that I currently contract to the company and I would like to become an employee in the near future. If this slow too much there will be lots more competition for a position I had them begging me for last year. :banghead:

ExtraSlow
12-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Nexen, a major player in the canadian O&G industry, cuts 2009 budget 15%
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20081210.wnexenstaff1210/BNStory/energy/home

zither99
12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by avishal26

That would be me....:(

I'm graduating in spring too, scary thinking about it.

You seem to be ok considering the cars you drive, 07 fx and 05 g35 coupe...

89coupe
12-10-2008, 03:21 PM
A lot of analysts are saying this is just the beginning, they are predicting that the DOW will drop to 4000 points and we won't see any recovery till 2011.

Power_Of_Rotary
12-10-2008, 03:42 PM
those who listen to analysts are the ones who crash and burn.

people like giving out false information so that they can use the news to scare people to their advantage.

when they say they are running out of oil...the oil price drops like mad and killing many

rage2
12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
We're still hiring here like crazy. We're getting a LOT of shitty applicants right now though because of the layoffs and desperation. Our hiring dept. is heavily understaffed trying to weed out the good candidates, everyone involved in the hiring process is putting in 60+ hours a week right now. I'm shocked at how many unskilled people come out of school looking through some of these tech tests that applicants have to go through. I can't believe how many people call themselves developers.

My IT budget got increased, and my IS team doubled in size in the last 2 months. I started a new department and hiring there as well. So far so good for us :).

Not so good news for some of my friends and family though. There's been massive layoffs in the finance sector as well as the O&G sector, and I've had a surprising number of friends that got laid off.

Compared to the US tho, we're in pretty good shape. The things I hear from US friends... scary out there right now.

Jlude
12-10-2008, 04:24 PM
The engineering company I'm contracting for right now is very busy, they've hired 25 people in the last two months, the HR department can't keep up.

Also, yesterday I was talking to the owner of a fab shop in Calgary. He said they're not crazy busy at the moment, but they're steady and they now have contracts signed with consultant drawings expected to be delivered in Jan.

lint
12-10-2008, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by rage2
My IT budget got increased, and my IS team doubled in size in the last 2 months. I started a new department and hiring there as well. So far so good for us :).

Translation: Suck up to me more, bitches, I'm recession proof!

:angel:

badatusrnames
12-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Power_Of_Rotary
when they say they are running out of oil...the oil price drops like mad and killing many

We aren't running out of oil, people just don't know the different between a reserve and resource.

Not so sure about the killing part...

rage2
12-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by lint
Translation: Suck up to me more, bitches, I'm recession proof!

:angel:
haha, nah, I don't think we're recession proof, but due to the nature of the product we sell, we can weather the storm better than others. It helps that the USD is strong right now too. We survived the dot com bubble burst with ease (in fact we grew about 250% during the burst), the question is how long will this downturn last? You can't sustain growth in a negative economy forever.

The Cosworth
12-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
The engineering company I'm contracting for right now is very busy, they've hired 25 people in the last two months, the HR department can't keep up.

Also, yesterday I was talking to the owner of a fab shop in Calgary. He said they're not crazy busy at the moment, but they're steady and they now have contracts signed with consultant drawings expected to be delivered in Jan.

my project work load has increased 288% since September. So some of us are busy.

I have a buddy at an O&G engineering firm (small) that he said they are busy as hell too.

adam c
12-10-2008, 04:35 PM
ah rage...

you guys 'could' be crushed overnight, if everyone switched to paper timesheets and canceled your services to cut costs

i doubt that would happen though

89coupe
12-10-2008, 05:02 PM
2009 will be way way worse then 2008. You watch!

rage2
12-10-2008, 05:16 PM
2009 will be way way worse then 2008. You watch!
I've already told you that in the investment threads, but you kept saying average down! :rofl:

kenny
12-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by adam c
You guys 'could' be crushed overnight, if everyone switched to paper timesheets and canceled your services to cut costs

Fortunately for Replicon, companies would probably lose more money going to a paper based timesheet system.

88jbody
12-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Our monthly sales are down about 10%

89coupe
12-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I've already told you that in the investment threads, but you kept saying average down! :rofl:

I know, but I also told you that my dividends pay out 24% or more over a year right now. So I keep buying.

Jerms
12-11-2008, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic

HAH. Denmark is great for drinking and beautiful women. As for Rent payments and the cost of living...Not worth it at the moment

you're Serbian.. just move there and kill or hunt whatever your kind does out there..

kenny
12-11-2008, 02:00 AM

I know, but I also told you that my dividends pay out 24% or more over a year right now. So I keep buying.

Theres no guarantee the dividends will not be cut in the future. Hold onto your money and buy in when there are signs the market has hit the bottom and average down then.

Pacman
12-11-2008, 02:08 AM

What companies are paying those kinds of dividends? Share the love bro!

szw
12-11-2008, 07:31 AM
I work at a paper mill that is shutting down production for Christmas for the first time ever. Production will be down from the Dec 23rd to Jan 5th

89coupe
12-11-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Pacman

What companies are paying those kinds of dividends? Share the love bro!

TET.un POU.un

89coupe
12-11-2008, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by kenny

Theres no guarantee the dividends will not be cut in the future. Hold onto your money and buy in when there are signs the market has hit the bottom and average down then.

There is never a guarantee in the stock market, no guts, no glory.

Eleanor
12-11-2008, 09:36 AM
I'm working at a smaller engineering firm, and while things are pretty crazy at the moment, there isn't too much on the horizon right now, unfortunately.

b_t
12-19-2008, 07:23 PM
No layoffs but just had a hiring freeze go into effect.. in addition to a wage freeze, right before raises were supposed to go into effect, and even though our company did great last year and will weather the downturn without many problems, we had one job that was horribly mismanaged so that cut into our profit a lot.

So as a result, my bonus worked out to about 0.5% of my salary - honestly, I would prefer nothing at all since getting a bonus this pathetic after what I was promised amounts to a straight shot to the nuts.

The Cosworth
12-19-2008, 07:31 PM
^^ yeah we had a hiring freeze go on too. However I was told there is more than enough work for more people, just no one knows which way this is going to go so they dont want to hire people to have to lay them off.

Sucks to hear about your bonus. Ours this year was good but next year probably wont be as good.

A790
12-19-2008, 07:38 PM
The last two weeks have been relatively slow as I've had to shift to a new market, but I just received word about three big clients that are opening up Jan 5 so I'm not too worried at all.

Hell, if I diversified more I'd probably be going "recession? What recession?".

I'm actually looking to use the recession to expand. My industry is pretty much recession proof so I'm looking to nail it hard while people are still reeling.

DomesticBoy
12-20-2008, 02:15 AM
im a little choked
im graduating in 09
as for job wise, if i can hold on to the job i have right now and stuff goes down hill after new years, a place in retail is the best i can do right now.... But im hoping it gets better, i guess we will all see come new years.

2000impreza
12-20-2008, 11:46 AM
I've seen quite a few layoffs. In addition most major companies have put on a hiring freeze so it will definitely be tough for new grads. IMO this is not all bad as it allows companies to weed out those that have been spoiled by working overpaid jobs during the boom.

I personally have not been affected much at all by this "recession" aside from the money I invested into companies I use to work for.

r0g3r
12-20-2008, 11:48 AM
^ whats the predicted end date of the recession? 2011?

not like we can trust these numbers but its a good ball park maybe?

The Cosworth
12-20-2008, 11:51 AM
^^ I have heard anywhere from a turn around in spring, a turn around in 2010, a turn around in 2012, and never a turn around.

redblack
12-20-2008, 06:15 PM
well, working at a utility company i havent seen any layoff's. You'll always need someone to keep the lights on

thrasher22
12-21-2008, 05:03 PM
Our VP came out from Toronto last week to assure us layoffs were over, however we'll likely see a hiring freeze next year to the point of not replacing people who quit. I'll be surprised if we get a bonus at all...

On the plus side since I graduated in August just snuck in before everyone stopped hiring, I'm pumped to have a job at all. A lot of my friends weren't so lucky and are stuck at shitty retail jobs making less than they did in university...

IhateDomestic
12-22-2008, 11:26 AM
university shmershitty... i made more on eBaywhen i was 17 than my damn entry level uni crap career...

thats why you...

become a porn star :whipped: :poosie: they are not affected by the recession! porn industry goes UP during a recession .. think about it ;)

WWJAI
12-22-2008, 01:18 PM
Graduated and unable to find entry-level work in my field... this sucks :thumbsdow

DomesticBoy
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
So my moms best friend who lives in london said that riots are breaking loose? People are breaking into houses, stores, cars, and all that jazz. For something like that to happen by this "recession" you think it would be possible for this to occur in calgary if things get really bad?
Sorry for hijacking the thread, i had to ask

gretz
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by WWJAI
Graduated and unable to find entry-level work in my field... this sucks :thumbsdow

i know how you feel - it took me 2 years of framing until i got something in my field

sputnik
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by DomesticBoy
So my moms best friend who lives in london said that riots are breaking loose? People are breaking into houses, stores, cars, and all that jazz. For something like that to happen by this "recession" you think it would be possible for this to occur in calgary if things get really bad?

I heard that London also removed "gullible" from the dictionary because they don't need it anymore.

:facepalm:

BlackArcher101
12-22-2008, 01:44 PM
I highly doubt there are riots. Probably a crappy news article thinking the increase in breakins and robberys is due to the economy, but in reality it happens every Christmas time.

gen2teggy
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM

LOL

1997GSR
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM

yea dood. they are burning down london bridge. it's fuckin chaos

DomesticBoy
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
meh worth a shot asking
didnt know wether it was true or not

cloud7
01-01-2009, 02:49 AM
The company that I work for is also taking a conservative approach by freezing salary for all staff except for the most junior staff just before salaries were to go up for the new year. This sucks, I hope our salaries in the summer will be adjusted once Oil prices are $100 a barrel.

Shunsui
01-01-2009, 05:07 AM
I work at a retail store, so I'm not really affected by the recession, and don't see its affects anywhere reason being that we just had sales yesterday almost triple of what we sold last year.

Originally posted by IhateDomestic

become a porn star :whipped: :poosie: they are not affected by the recession! porn industry goes UP during a recession .. think about it ;)
Haha you could add some more like alcohol sales, cigarette sales, drug dealing, heck even prescription drugs might see an increase to lol.

autosm
01-01-2009, 10:54 AM

yea dood. they are burning down london bridge. it's fuckin chaos

No they dismantled it and moved it to the states:D

http://www.roadtripamerica.com/places/havasu.htm

broken_legs
01-02-2009, 03:56 AM
I work for a certain big blue oil field service company.

We have had record quarters all through 2008, and are going to be busy busy through at least Q1 of 2009 and this is whats happening:
- No Christmas Bonus
- Got an email out on new years eve night explaining that our benefits package will no longer have the 600 dollar fitness reimbursement that was just increased from 400 dollars. Instead it will be zero. The economic situation was cited directly.
- A world wide raise went out, our brothers in the US who were already making 25% more than us got an 18% raise, but Canada didn't get one...

Time for a transfer

QuasarCav
01-02-2009, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Shunsui
I work at a retail store, so I'm not really affected by the recession,

:dunno:

leec001
01-02-2009, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Shunsui
I work at a retail store, so I'm not really affected by the recession, and don't see its affects anywhere reason being that we just had sales yesterday almost triple of what we sold last year.

Haha you could add some more like alcohol sales, cigarette sales, drug dealing, heck even prescription drugs might see an increase to lol.

Probably you won't say the same thing after Christmas shopping season. :facepalm:

spikerS
01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
well, i just got some good news. they are increasing the cost of living raise we got last fall by 0.6% and paying it retroactively as well. Not that it is much, but at least it is an increase.

BlackArcher101
01-02-2009, 11:35 AM
I haven't heard a peep from my employer about where anything stands at this point. Hopefully the phrase "no news is good news" holds true in this case.

Barlow
01-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Hmm... The Company i work for (IT) is still busy, everyone is still getting bonuses, and the CEO sent out an e mail stating we are in good shape and everyone will get their bonuses and raises maybe just not as much as previous years.

Other companies must be sending out the same propaganda?

How to make it ina recession, stealing market share, cutting costs, its basic strategy.

If you think about it, as long as your job means something to the employer, you should be ok!

Business won't stop completely.

Barlow