PDA

View Full Version : xp help/system restore help

88jbody
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
first thing I noticed it my avg anti-virus is not updating, when I go to thier website it works fine untill I try to download the update file I get a error in finding the page.

so then I try system restore, chose the date (about 2 weeks ago) prior to the newest 3 things I have installed once I choose the date to restore to the next button will not work, but works up to that point(it is not "greyed out")

when I try to go to google.com or google.ca it goes into a re-direct loop untill firefox gives me an error about an neverending re-direct loop.

"Redirect Loop
Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

The browser has stopped trying to retrieve the requested item. The site is redirecting the request in a way that will never complete.

* Have you disabled or blocked cookies required by this site?
* NOTE: If accepting the site's cookies does not resolve the problem, it is likely a server configuration issue and not your computer."

also can't view google in IE7

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address"

I have also tried these things in safe mode.

I do not have the windows disc.

windows xp pro sp3 build 2600
dell latitude d610 laptop
legit copy of windows- laptop was 2nd hand so I did not have the cd,
I need some help, I have also ran adaware and removed all items it had found, did not help.
this all started in the last few days, the only things installed in the last week have been bittorrent, adaware, and a couple movies I downloaded with bittorrent. (tried to restore to just before that time)

any help would be great, I am a pretty good user so even if it is a reg fix I am sure I can handle it with a set of instructions

thank you

Boat
12-07-2008, 10:16 PM
Download Magic Jelly Bean Key Finder, get your XP KEY, Download an XP Pro Image, and burn it to a cd.
Completely reinstall windows.

I downloaded a dell Xp pro image, and it didn't ask me for my cd key at all. (Dell Vostro 1400) Fully activated.

Do you have the COA (Certifcate of Authenticity)?
If not, don't expect your cd key to work again.
If you do have it, you can probably call microsoft to get you a new one.

Although microsoft XP activation phones have been busy for 2 weeks now.

Hope this helps man, If you have looked on google, and tried to solve your problems, and nothing has worked thus far, I would suggest my method because its a sure shot way to solve your problem as long as there is no hardware issues involved.

88jbody
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Boat

Hope this helps man, If you have looked on google, and tried to solve your problems, and nothing has worked thus far, I can't view google so I came up with nothing to try. LOL I will give it a try and I have that sticker on the bottom of the laptop for windows with the product key.

I will have to get a cd I guess. wish there was a way I could avoid a complete re-install. I have alot to back up before I do.

Boat
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Did you fix it yet?
I dunno if your problem is JUST google? Cant you search for solutions on a different computer?

I think everyone should reformat their computer every 16months to keep it fast.

"I solved this problem in Firefox by selecting Tools, Clear Private Data and then selecting Cookies and Cache. Hope this works for you."

http://kb.mozillazine.org/The_page_is_not_redirecting_properly

Try disabling AVG? :dunno:

Grogador
12-08-2008, 04:11 PM
Disable AVG's LinkScanner