PDA

View Full Version : Swapping out tires asap

403ep3
12-08-2008, 10:03 AM
So I've been waiting it out to switch my winters in and now I need definately need them on. Anyone know of any shops that aren't busy today? I will be calling around as well but if you guys know anyone, post up please? Thanks

GQBalla
12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Canadian Tire is first come first serve

Thaco
12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
you waited until the second week of December to swap out your summers? You deserve to skate around today.

Mine were swapped out the last week of October.

Caramel Cod
12-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by GQBalla
Canadian Tire is first come first serve

More like first come, first "you-got-served".

weeznah
12-08-2008, 10:21 AM
i swapped mine out yesterday on my silvia cause i was sideways just about all the way up the hill on 17th. Now she grips like on cement

7thgenvic
12-08-2008, 10:24 AM
Go get a jack and wrench and DO-IT-YOURSELF :)

n1zm0
12-08-2008, 10:27 AM
are the winters on separate rims or you need to do a mount and balance?

if separate do like he^ says, yourself, i remember one year i did in the chinook underground lol, cause i had no garage.

call option import they can usually fit last minute stuff like that in w/o appointment

Caramel Cod
12-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by 7thgenvic
Go get a jack and wrench and DO-IT-YOURSELF :)

Nope. Unless you're sure you know what you're doing...don't do this. Bad advice man. or as they say around here: "Fail."

GQBalla
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
how do you put on tires wrong? ^^

if they are on rims already, they should already be balanced.

if they aren't on rims then go get the, put on and balanced

n1zm0
12-08-2008, 10:34 AM

yeah if you absolutely cant goto a shop first.

although you should be putting RR and LR winters (order in which they came off last year) up front (hopefully the last shop marked them) and balancing them again.

Originally posted by Caramel Cod
Nope. Unless you're sure you know what you're doing...don't do this. Bad advice man. or as they say around here: "Fail."

lol wtf, make sure you put a hazmat suit on too
:nut:

Thaco
12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
how do you put on tires wrong? ^^

if they aren't on rims then go get the, put on and balanced

i can almost guarantee that a torque wrench is not standard equipment in most people's tool boxes, so if you want warped rotors, sure, take this guys advice and change them yourself, without a torque wrench.

SR240SX
12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Thaco

i can almost guarantee that a torque wrench is not standard equipment in most people's tool boxes, so if you want warped rotors, sure, take this guys advice and change them yourself, without a torque wrench.

I've hand tightend my wheels countless number of times with a hand wrench, No wapred rotors here...Or any problems. Althought I do have a torque wrench now, If I think about using it....I use it...:rofl:

ekguy
12-08-2008, 11:07 AM
I was thinking of doing mine today too...Isn't the rule of thumb for hand tightening to go tight then drive for a few kms, then re-tighten??

rockanrepublic
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
:facepalm: wow brilliant time to change tires.
bring em to good tires LTD they did my tires no appointment cheap and fast. :clap:

Masked Bandit
12-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
I was thinking of doing mine today too...Isn't the rule of thumb for hand tightening to go tight then drive for a few kms, then re-tighten??

Pretty much yep. I don't know who uses a torque wrench for wheels (especially winter steelies).

12-08-2008, 11:12 AM

your the FAIL. :facepalm:

ekguy
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

Pretty much yep. I don't know who uses a torque wrench for wheels (especially winter steelies).

mine are on stock rims not steelie...I haven't rocked steelies in a good 5 years. Always try and pick up a cheap set of rims versus steel wheels...

Does it make a difference on how to tighten them if I'm putting on stock rims versus steelies though?

n1zm0
12-08-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit

all tire shops and stealerships ? :dunno:

the alternative would be a torque stick and impact gun.

rockanrepublic
12-08-2008, 11:15 AM

wait what you think you need a torque wrench to change tires? :facepalm: please tell me your joking?
always done it by hand for 5 years never run into a problem

and OP if you got the tires balanced on the rims then i recommend you do a >30min tire change to winters for free if not balanced then as i stated above take em to good tires LTD. Goodluck!

Thaco
12-08-2008, 12:21 PM
wow, you guys are very uninformed for being "car enthusiasts"

benyl
12-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Any of you who say you don't need a torque wrench probably get your parts at Canadian tire.

Hand torquing is pretty dumb. Even buying a cheapy torque wrench from Princess auto is better than and torquing.

GQBalla
12-08-2008, 12:45 PM

I can see that - but i do have a torque wrench.

but im pretty sure almost if not everyone has put on tires without a torque wrench.

for example spare tire :D

403ep3
12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
Lol I got them switched at macall brake and muffler. I would of done them myself but I don't have the machine to mount and balance them =)

urban.one
12-08-2008, 12:52 PM
no kidding

wow, you guys are very uninformed for being "car enthusiasts"

rockanrepublic
12-08-2008, 01:19 PM
:dunno: i have never seen a tire fly off someones car or rotors "warped" from hand wrenching a tire on and its always worked for me so until catastrophic failure or until my car can run faster i see no need to go buy myself a torque wrench but on that note how much do they cost for a decent one and how much for princess auto one?

nobb
12-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I always thought people would just use the stock wrenches that came with their vehicle.

I have always been hand tightening my lug nuts then standing on one end of the wrench and jumping on it lightly. According to my calculations based on my weight and the length of the wrench, the torque is right on spec =)

Redlyne_mr2
12-08-2008, 01:31 PM

If you dont know how to change a tire yourself u shouldnt be on this forum. As for the whole fail saying that originated on ziptied forums.. yes I am that much of a computer geek lol.

403_CL9
12-08-2008, 01:42 PM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

supe
12-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by nobb
I always thought people would just use the stock wrenches that came with their vehicle.

I have always been hand tightening my lug nuts then standing on one end of the wrench and jumping on it lightly. According to my calculations based on my weight and the length of the wrench, the torque is right on spec =)

Oh beyond :rofl:

GQBalla
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM

lol

Thaco
12-08-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
:dunno: i have never seen a tire fly off someones car or rotors "warped" from hand wrenching a tire on and its always worked for me so until catastrophic failure or until my car can run faster i see no need to go buy myself a torque wrench but on that note how much do they cost for a decent one and how much for princess auto one?

Who said anything about a tire flying off?

rockanrepublic
12-08-2008, 10:21 PM

Who said anything about a tire flying off?
well i figured it was the other end of the spectrum form too tight :dunno:

sneek
12-09-2008, 02:42 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Any of you who say you don't need a torque wrench probably get your parts at Canadian tire.

Hand torquing is pretty dumb. Even buying a cheapy torque wrench from Princess auto is better than hand torquing.

He speaks the truth. I never understood why people didn't use torque wrenches. I mean they have those specs for a reason! Your tires most likely won't fly off even if you lightly tighten them, as I think the lug nuts are designed to tighten as you drive.

szw
12-09-2008, 06:24 AM
I always read how important it is to use a torque wrench when swapping tires, but I never did it, out of laziness for the last 6 years. This year I saw one of the click-type ones for sale at Princess Auto and was going to buy it when I read a discussion on another forum about it. Apparently even with minimal use they needed to be calibrated once a year and ones that weren't were way off. I decided against getting it at the time but am still considering it.

Is there a better solution? If you go to a shop to change it, I'm pretty sure they don't use a torque wrench either.

Really, how bad is it to hand-tighten it?

yue
12-09-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by 403ep3
So I've been waiting it out to switch my winters in and now I need definately need them on. Anyone know of any shops that aren't busy today? I will be calling around as well but if you guys know anyone, post up please? Thanks

i went to sunridge mazda yesterday at noon and got it done without an appointment. i called around and all dealerships and urban expressions are making appointments for wednesday. try there.

tirebob
12-09-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by szw
I always read how important it is to use a torque wrench when swapping tires, but I never did it, out of laziness for the last 6 years. This year I saw one of the click-type ones for sale at Princess Auto and was going to buy it when I read a discussion on another forum about it. Apparently even with minimal use they needed to be calibrated once a year and ones that weren't were way off. I decided against getting it at the time but am still considering it.

Is there a better solution? If you go to a shop to change it, I'm pretty sure they don't use a torque wrench either.

Really, how bad is it to hand-tighten it? We use a torque wrench to finish every lugnut every time.

Putting your wheels on without a torque wrench is not dangerous if you have everything tightend down sufficiently, and warped rotors that occur from improper torquing are usually more a problem with the torque being radically uneven, such as 60lbs on 2 lugs and 130lbs on 2 lugs etc. This can contribute to the rotor warping as it cools after being overheated.

If you tighten your lugs evenly (even by feel alone) this should almost never pose a problem, but I would STILL always advise that if you do not use a torque wrench, you should take a few minutes out of your day and stop by a shop and simply ask for a measured re-torque...

rc2002
12-09-2008, 09:52 AM

This is a joke right?

benyl
12-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by szw
If you go to a shop to change it, I'm pretty sure they don't use a torque wrench either.

Stop going to Canadian Tire.

Any reputable shop will finish with a torque wrench.

rc2002
12-09-2008, 10:05 AM
^ + Make sure it's a wrench and not just a torque stick. A lot of shops will use the impact gun with a torque stick and call it a day.

GQBalla
12-09-2008, 10:24 AM
very true ^^

nobb
12-09-2008, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

This is a joke right?

Uh no, the torque is pretty much right on manufacturer's spec when I do it like this. I dont see what the problem is.

benyl
12-09-2008, 11:12 AM

Uh no, the torque is pretty much right on manufacturer's spec when I do it like this. I dont see what the problem is. :facepalm:

prae
12-09-2008, 11:31 AM

:facepalm:

torque is a function of radius and force applied... so i suppose if you stood approximately 6" away from the socket and weighed 160lbs, you would get around 80ft-lb of torque...

which could be roughly on spec, ironically enough.

still, this is a monumentally retarded idea.

n1zm0
12-09-2008, 11:40 AM
Uh no, the torque is pretty much right on manufacturer's spec when I do it like this. I dont see what the problem is.

wow, and then you're the guy who walks into the dealership in the summer and says, 'well, I cant get my lugnuts off, for the life of me and i don't know why.. oh and also i stripped the grooves off my lock nut key and lug'

how do you know the torque is 'pretty much right on manufacturer's spec', what exactly are you measuring it with?? :dunno:

nobb
12-09-2008, 11:55 AM
I weigh 60kg and I stand about 0.2m away from the wrench. This works out to be about 117Nm, or 86ft-lbs, which is within range and not going to strip anything.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_Tires_LugNutTorque.htm

Yes it's not as accurate as a proper torque wrench, but I figure its better than nothing if your going to be torquing up the wheels without a wrench. Its just torque, not rocket science. I always make sure to tighten them in the right pattern, then retighten after a few kms of driving.

sneek
12-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I weigh 60kg and I stand about 0.2m away from the wrench. This works out to be about 117Nm, or 86ft-lbs, which is within range and not going to strip anything.

http://www.dmbruss.com/zFullTimeLifeStyle/FTLS_Tires_LugNutTorque.htm

Yes it's not as accurate as a proper torque wrench, but I figure its better than nothing if your going to be torquing up the wheels without a wrench. Its just torque, not rocket science. I always make sure to tighten them in the right pattern, then retighten after a few kms of driving.

:facepalm: :facepalm: It is only $20 for a basic torque wrench...
they. The ones with the beam or w.e it is called are pretty cheap.

n1zm0
12-09-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by sneek
:facepalm: :facepalm: It is only $20 for a basic torque wrench...
they. The ones with the beam or w.e it is called are pretty cheap.

yes! and at most 5$ for the specific sized socket you need for your lugnuts, plus if you got it from princess auto, and it breaks, return it for a brand new one, no questions asked, i did it this summer lol just say 'i am unable to calibrate this tool and i need it calibrated'

nobb... the website you listed even says:

"When I was in the ARMY, I saw truck drivers use a three foot breaker bar and stand on the bar to torque the lug nuts on a truck (several hundred pounds of torque) and fail inspection the next day with loose lug nuts. I would use the torque wrench, drive the truck down the runway, and re-torque until the nuts were found to not be loose. After that, the nuts stayed tight until the next time the wheel needed to be removed."

I can see an army truck needing hundreds of pounds of torque, therefore the jumping on the tire iron idea works, but a passenger vehicle?..

he also uses a torque wrench..

szw
12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by benyl

Stop going to Canadian Tire.

Any reputable shop will finish with a torque wrench. I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Anyone else have experience? I've always seen them just use an impact gun. Not a ton of places but a few in toronto and in Calgary tirerack on mccleoud (I go there because of hte jerkoff fest from this forum) and mytires who both just use an impact gun.

AllGoNoShow
12-09-2008, 06:16 PM
You should most definatly stay away from shops that don't use a torque WRENCH.

Any shop that finishes with a impact gun or torque stick are looking for problems. Most impact guns are atleast 250ft/lb's, and the kids these places hire to do the work will normall nail that gun till the nut stops moving which is going to be WAYYYYY over torqued from an impact gun. A torque stick is better than nothing but isn't very consistant, even if the same person uses the same method every time.

Just because they are a sponsor on here doesn't mean they know what they are doing or are doing it properly. It is up to you if you contiue to use them or not but when you start snapping studs and getting into repair bills, or worse (loosing tire on deerfoot etc..) then you will understand completely why it is a good idea to use proper torque every time, there is a reason behind it.

While we are on the topic, the army truck post is very true, those large rigs need huge torque, and it can be as simple as moving it 100ft forward to loose that torque you had if not done properly. But just as the guy states, he has to reqtorue at the end of the run way, do you think shops offer retorque for free just for fun? No, it is ment to bring you back to the shop so they can ensure that your wheels are properly torqued and there is no problems, for all you know 3 of your 4 could be loose if their was dirt behind the wheel on the hub or any number of issues that could arrise.

GET IT DONE RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

AllGoNoShow
12-09-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by szw
I'm pretty sure this is wrong. Anyone else have experience? I've always seen them just use an impact gun. Not a ton of places but a few in toronto and in Calgary tirerack on mccleoud (I go there because of hte jerkoff fest from this forum) and mytires who both just use an impact gun.

I'm 100% sure you are wrong.

As benyl stated, ANY REPUITABLE SHOP, will use a torque wrench to ensure yoru wheels are properly torqued.

mr2mike
12-09-2008, 06:20 PM
They almost always use an impact wrench.

But like benyl said, you should always use a torque wrench to finish it off. Who knows what torque setting an impact wrench is at and if you happen to get a flat, you won't be getting the lug nuts off with the tire iron in your car.

Some numb nutz at crappy tire back in the day was going to even put my locking lug nut on with an impact wrench till I said otherwise.

AllGoNoShow
12-09-2008, 06:29 PM
It's one thing to use an impact gun to put the nuts on (again if they are aluminum then they will be destroyed so pay attention to your own personal car) and to zip them up to the rim, its a whole other problem if they use the impact gun to slam the rim and torque it tight onto the hub.