PDA

View Full Version : Where to get a Barbecue?

foos_guy
12-08-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm looking at purchasing a natural gas barbecue and have only looked at Barbecues Galore (http://www.barbecuesgalore.ca) so far. I was hoping that prices would be a little cheaper since its the "off season" for bbq'ing.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other places to shop for a bbq?

Thanks! :)

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 11:39 AM
barbeques galore is by far the best place in calgary to get a BBQ. Their prices are reqsonable, however they carry only the highest quality products and have exceptional service. if you get a bbq from some big box place, it's only gonna last a few years cause they're so damn cheap.

for example, last summer we spent about $400 on a new bbq. nothing fancy, just something to cook on. anyhow, we looked at rona, home depot, canadian tire, wal mart, blah blah, and at all of those places they had these big shiny 4 burner grills with side burners and all this crap on them. however, they were made of super mega cheap components, they were all wobbly, etc.

then we went to barbeques galore, and for the same price they had 2-burner Broil King's with no side burner, etc. however, it is made of WAY higher quality materials... the top lid part is cast iron (as comared to sheet metal for the cheap ones), the whole unit doesn't wobble at all, etc. etc. furthermore, it has a great warranty

shop at barbeques galore, especially for something like a barbeque that you want to last a long time. and keep in mind that you get what you pay for

SJW
12-08-2008, 11:57 AM
Canadian tire at 130th ave has a few on sale.

06civic
12-08-2008, 11:59 AM
does this bbq galore have cheaper bbqs like 100-200 range?

S4maniac
12-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 06civic
does this bbq galore have cheaper bbqs like 100-200 range?

In that price range go to Canadian Tire. You may even get lucky with a floor model.

If you're looking mid-range (400-800), Home Depot sells the same Webers and Vermont Castings as BBQ Galore at a bit better price.

Oh and I second what was mentioned above, you get what you pay for. If at all possible, don't cheap out.

Weapon_R
12-08-2008, 12:42 PM
BBQ galore is a specialty shop, and as with most, is typically overpriced. I would shop the regular and obvious locations - Walmart, Home Depot, Canadian Tire, etc. and see if they have some end of season specials. I was able to pick up a full stainless gas BBQ a few years ago at Walmart for around $300 - marked 50% off because I bought it in the dead of winter.

I'm not enough of a connoisseur to be picky enough about BTUs and such as long as the BBQ cooks the meat right. So far, I've had no complaints.

88CRX
12-08-2008, 01:08 PM
If you can afford it get a Weber..... if not then get a Broil-King. Home Depot should sell both and they're probably slightly cheaper than BBQ Galore.

Don't get one with a side burner. You'll never use it and they're not strong enough to stay lit with the windy weather we usually have. The cheaper Broil-King should be $299 and it'll last you forever.

89s1
12-08-2008, 01:10 PM
I have a funny story behind my barbeque.

When i bought my house the realtor said that I could literally ask for whatever I wanted to be included with the house in the sales agreement. (including obscure things) The guy mentioned he was moving to Thailand and I ddin't think he would want to move there with his barbeque so I requested it in the sales agreement and he accepted.

He ended up leaving a few useful things for us. (Barbeque, lawn mower and all of his garden tools). Nice guy :D

Boat
12-08-2008, 01:16 PM
Crappy Tire FTW

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
The cheaper Broil-King should be $299 and it'll last you forever.

absolutely. barbeques galore has a really nice 2-burner broil king for that price. actually, that might be the one I have.

some people above recommended to go to canadian tire or wal-mart. i would really recommend against this. like i said, it might appear that their prices are lower, however if you really look at the product, you will notice that the materials and construction are much, much lower. Actually, you won't even find those shitty big box BBQs at Barbeques Galore, cause they don't sell shit that will break down in 3 years. like I said, you get what you pay for.

at Barbecues Galore, you can pick up a solid Broil King for $299 that will last you forever (well, maybe 15-20 years), where as you can get a 2 burner at wal-mart for $150 (?), but it'll only last you a few years cause it's a cheap design made out of sheet metal and crappy components. wobbly as hell, and very little heat output which makes cooking a bitch. it's like comparing IKEA to a good furniture store.

but I guess it really depends what you're looking for. if you're broke and need a quick fix, and don't mind buying another in 5 years, go to a big box and pick up an cheapo one. if you have a few extra bucks and want something that will last for a long time, go to Barbeques Galore. they have an online catalogye.

but, you should maybe compare quality between Barbeqyues Galore and a bix box... go to wal-mart and canadian tire and see how cheap and wobbly and plastic-shiny their barbeques are, and then go to barbeques galore and see how much higher quality theirs are.... again, you'll get what you pay for.

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 02:12 PM
If you can afford it get a Weber..... if not then get a Broil-King. Home Depot should sell both and they're probably slightly cheaper than BBQ Galore.

No big box stores in Calgary carry Broil Kings... at least they didn't last spring, when I got my Broil King from Barbeques Galore

88CRX
12-08-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

No big box stores in Calgary carry Broil Kings... at least they didn't last spring, when I got my Broil King from Barbeques Galore

Home Depot has Broil-Mate's..... aren't they the same company (Broil-King & Broil-Mate) ?

ercchry
12-08-2008, 02:38 PM

Home Depot has Broil-Mate's..... aren't they the same company (Broil-King & Broil-Mate) ?

i bought a bbq from home depot this summer and whatever broil-mates they carry felt really cheap, and webbers have terrible paint used inside and after a few years it starts to peel and flake on the food when you close the lid.

i went with a natural gas 3-burner blue ember with a side grill and it was on sale, killer deal just a few thousand btu's shy of my dad's big ass 5-burner bbq too

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Broil Mate is Broil King's 'value' line.

xLostx
12-08-2008, 03:53 PM
costco has a good selection of bbq's if i do recall, pretty sure my dad bought his from costco

foos_guy
12-08-2008, 04:24 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Looking for a pretty decent, long lasting BBQ, so will probably look at BBQs Galore.

Ajay
12-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Picked up a Broil King from BBQ Galore over the summer and I have no complaints with it. It's pretty basic (no side burner) but for what I use it for it serves its purpose.

For the price paid I could have gotten one that had more options from a big box store but I've gone that route before. Stick to a place that knows what they're doing and talking about. May be a little more money but it's well worth it in my opinion.

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 05:28 PM
^^agreed. furthermore, the salespeople at Barbeques Galore know what they're talking about, and will be able to help you get exactly what you need, to fit your needs/wants AND budget.

before we got ours, we were looking at home depot and asked one of the associates if they had a particular grill in stock... the computer said they did but he couldn't find them, and went to look again. after waiting about 20-25 minutes, we just left the store. the people there can't even find the fucking product you're looking for!

fuck that LOL

nonlinear
12-08-2008, 05:29 PM
also, do you really mean natural gas, or do you mean propane? cause i'm not sure that they would even sell natural gas barbeques at a big box store... since they are more permanent appliances... but who knows?

Kloubek
12-08-2008, 05:31 PM
Sometimes you can find barely used ones in sites like Kijiji, and save a ton. I almost bought a Broil King for $125 asking last summer.

Kritafo
12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Okay just because I was at homedepot.
They have Broil Mate, Blue Ember and Ducane and a Weber BBQ's at the Tuscany store, none of which are on sale.

Really I would just go to Barbecues Galore, they do have some nice models, or try to find a used one with a good name.

BBQ season is never over at our house.

Niglin
06-24-2013, 06:33 PM
I was in to the South Calgary location over the weekend and felt faint after about ten minutes, the propane and natural gas burnoff does not seem to be vented properly. Anyway, they had alot of stuff crammed into a small space, I was almost claustrophobic. While they do not have all the best BBQ's they do have alot of accessories. Also, I've never seen such weird people working at place, I was trying to get the attention of one guy, I think his name was Larry; he was just staring off into space the whole time and kind of twitching, so weird. We did end up buying a Webber BBQ, and when we got to the back to pick it up there seemed to be alot of confusion. The colored guy with one tooth put the forklift forks through our BBQ box, wasn't damaged, but cmon, learn to drive. In any event, he was nice enough but had a crazy look in his eyes and smelled of alcohol. Would not recommend these guys, and probably won't be back, Walmart has better deals and BBQ's, should've gone there.

FiveFreshFish
06-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Niglin
I was in to the South Calgary location over the weekend and felt faint after about ten minutes, the propane and natural gas burnoff does not seem to be vented properly. Anyway, they had alot of stuff crammed into a small space, I was almost claustrophobic. While they do not have all the best BBQ's they do have alot of accessories. Also, I've never seen such weird people working at place, I was trying to get the attention of one guy, I think his name was Larry; he was just staring off into space the whole time and kind of twitching, so weird. We did end up buying a Webber BBQ, and when we got to the back to pick it up there seemed to be alot of confusion. The colored guy with one tooth put the forklift forks through our BBQ box, wasn't damaged, but cmon, learn to drive. In any event, he was nice enough but had a crazy look in his eyes and smelled of alcohol. Would not recommend these guys, and probably won't be back, Walmart has better deals and BBQ's, should've gone there.

Walmart doesn't sell Weber; should have checked Home Depot. I recently picked up a Weber S330 at a 10% discount from HD and they threw in a new filled tank. Not much of a discount. Webers never seem to go on sale. HD does not have their barbeques hooked up for demo but they are assembled.

On a side note, it's good to see there are forklift jobs available to coloured guys with only one tooth. :D

Niglin
07-10-2013, 08:03 PM
Haha, yeah they need jobs too, & these guys seem to hire anyone, lol. My buddy actually made the mistake of going into BBQ's Galore south, bought a Broil King I believe and returned it, as it was dented, subsequently he had a Weber assembled, when he went to pick it up, the lid fell off - wow!! Myself, I'm taking your advice and going to HD, thanks for the input BTW.

WhippWhapp
07-10-2013, 09:42 PM
What do you plan to do with it? Do you cook all year round?

If you're just flipping burgers and dogs a gas grill is fine. I have a Kamado that I can smoke ribs, brisket and pork on in all weather. Once you go charcoal you'll never go back!

Barbeques Galore is overpriced, but expect that at any boutique retailer. My suggestion for starters on a budget would be a Weber Performer from home depot or Kijiji.

Niglin
07-12-2013, 10:27 AM
Agreed Whipp, BBQ's Galore are the most expensive place it seems. I'm seeing more and more derogatory feedback about them. They seem to be accumulating at an exponential rate...... if they continue like this they may go under, esp if there's a report done to OH&S, pissed the wrong people off I think. I would in fact like to BBQ all year round. Charcoal is the best - why do you say that? Maybe a keg would be better - let me know of your recommendations, appreciated.

dirtsniffer
07-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Anyone have any experience with minden grills?

Also how about SS grilling surfaces? how will they compare to cast iron

r3ccOs
07-12-2013, 02:47 PM
to me, a gas gril is a gas gril...

u want good quality cast iorn grates, and equal cooking temp

BTU's don't mean crap unless its even across the surface

but other than that, that's that...

unless you're looking specifically for a useless side burner, or a infrafred rotissary... I'd go for a Broil Mate, as they are built with the rest:

http://www.omcbbq.com/

they build: Blue Ember, Sterling, Broil King and Broil mate

Broil mate may not be as well built as Broil King in terms of some asthetic materials, but the burners share parts, as do some of the grills.

if you are willing to spend... I'd suggest Weber, Vermont and Nepolean

otherwise, you can buy a weber silver bbq from walmart, a bag of coal and a chimeny for under $130 and once you learn to play with fire... will taste better than anything you've cooked on gas

FixedGear
07-12-2013, 02:55 PM

Haha, yeah they need jobs too, & these guys seem to hire anyone, lol. My buddy actually made the mistake of going into BBQ's Galore south, bought a Broil King I believe and returned it, as it was dented, subsequently he had a Weber assembled, when he went to pick it up, the lid fell off - wow!! Myself, I'm taking your advice and going to HD, thanks for the input BTW.

Agreed Whipp, BBQ's Galore are the most expensive place it seems. I'm seeing more and more derogatory feedback about them. They seem to be accumulating at an exponential rate...... if they continue like this they may go under, esp if there's a report done to OH&S, pissed the wrong people off I think. I would in fact like to BBQ all year round. Charcoal is the best - why do you say that? Maybe a keg would be better - let me know of your recommendations, appreciated.

LOL, a bit of an axe to grind, eh buddy? You're crazy though, Barbecues Galore is HANDS DOWN the best BBQ store in Calgary. In fact, there really isn't any other competition! Go ahead and continue buying new sheet metal grills from Walmart and Canadian Tire every 2 years, at least BBQ Galore won't be as crowded with nubskulls. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

89coupe
07-12-2013, 03:01 PM
Maybe I'm not good at searching but I'd love someone to show me a big box store that sells the same model BBQ as Barbecues Galore for less.

Just from what I have seen, the big box stores sell the lower end model always.

I couldn't find the Weber model I purchased at any of the big box stores.

phreezee
07-12-2013, 03:10 PM
^^^ Home Depot and Rona sell Weber Genesis line and they go on sale 15-20% about twice a year.

89coupe
07-12-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by phreezee
^^^ Home Depot and Rona sell Weber Genesis line and they go on sale 15-20% about twice a year.

That doesn't answer the question, are they the same model?

Also Barbecues Galore will match any competitors price as long as its the same model.

dirtsniffer
07-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
to me, a gas gril is a gas gril...

u want good quality cast iorn grates, and equal cooking temp

BTU's don't mean crap unless its even across the surface

but other than that, that's that...

unless you're looking specifically for a useless side burner, or a infrafred rotissary... I'd go for a Broil Mate, as they are built with the rest:

http://www.omcbbq.com/

they build: Blue Ember, Sterling, Broil King and Broil mate

Broil mate may not be as well built as Broil King in terms of some asthetic materials, but the burners share parts, as do some of the grills.

if you are willing to spend... I'd suggest Weber, Vermont and Nepolean

otherwise, you can buy a weber silver bbq from walmart, a bag of coal and a chimeny for under $130 and once you learn to play with fire... will taste better than anything you've cooked on gas

well the one I'm looking at is 30,000 btu's spread across 360 square inchs.

I can get a smoking deal on this unit. just not sure about having ss grates instead of cast iron. I read that if the ss is thick and wide enough it's all goood. but i don't really know what constitutes thick or wide...

r3ccOs
07-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer

well the one I'm looking at is 30,000 btu's spread across 360 square inchs.

I can get a smoking deal on this unit. just not sure about having ss grates instead of cast iron. I read that if the ss is thick and wide enough it's all goood. but i don't really know what constitutes thick or wide...

I had SS grill on my weber charcoal q' for years... nothing wrong with them... they clean easier and with most gas grills, the porceline comes off the cast iron, and for those who don't use them often, this means rust.

I now use a cast iron grate on my weber, but I have to keep it oiled, and though it puts a great sear on my grilled items, it conducts heat a little too well for the low and slow stuff.

and you'll be fine with that Q if that is the typical amount of food you'll cook.

too many people I know, have gone with a monster blue ember, broil king or Vermont and up using 2 burners, cause its just for their wife and them.

Though a BBQ can be a statement piece, it has to be applicable.

As to mr. 89scoupe... you'er right, I belive for the most part, for the protection of either the big box OR BBQ Galore, the model#/SKU# are slighly different as they are SMU's for either (special mark up)

Probably the only place you can find a like for like, as I'll assume that BBQ Galore is actually carrying proper retail products, is Home Hardware, as I don't think they have the buying power to get their own SMU'd products.

Its like how Source for Sports sells Easton Sticks, like a Stealth 777, vs. a S19, even though they are exactly the same.

phreezee
07-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by 89coupe

That doesn't answer the question, are they the same model?

Also Barbecues Galore will match any competitors price as long as its the same model.

What did you get, the EP310? If yes, then yes.
People on RFD always complain about how hard it is to get price matches at BBQs Galore.

I got my S330 20% off at Home Depot.

89coupe
07-12-2013, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

What did you get, the EP310? If yes, then yes.
People on RFD always complain about how hard it is to get price matches at BBQs Galore.

I got my S330 20% off at Home Depot.

Nope, CEP310NG

Mine has the extra heavy duty 9mm SS Grills.

phreezee
07-13-2013, 11:28 AM
The CEP's are Canadian only premium models that aren't found in the big box stores. So yes, very tough to get a discount on those. Double Diamond Electronics Ltd. in Edmonton has sold the CEP310 for as low as $920.

For me, I went with the S330 and got 7mm grates, extra sear burner and side burner for $890.

codetrap
07-13-2013, 11:48 AM

Nope, CEP310NG

Mine has the extra heavy duty 9mm SS Grills. I got the 320CEP, and I can count on one hand the times I've used to the side burner.

89coupe
07-13-2013, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by codetrap
I got the 320CEP, and I can count on one hand the times I've used to the side burner.

Yep, my old BBQ had a side burner and a rotisserie, never used either once in the 7 years I owned it.

Reason why I went with the 310.

FixedGear
07-13-2013, 02:02 PM
^oh man you missed out, rotisseries are the bomb dot com. we use ours quite a bit.

WhippWhapp
07-13-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by r3ccOs

This man speaks the truth. An Akorn from Wal-Mart or Lowe's is another option.

The next step up would be the Vision from Canadian Tire.

codetrap
07-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Yep, my old BBQ had a side burner and a rotisserie, never used either once in the 7 years I owned it.

Reason why I went with the 310. I use the rotisserie on it a fair bit. I also just bought the cast iron smoker box for it and did a hickory beer can chicken last night. Page 208 in the weber bbq book. Yuumm... very very good.

anarchy
08-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Bumping this as I'm looking for a new BBQ as well. I live on the 20th floor at a condo unit and wind is a huge factor, always blowing my BBQ out. I'm only cooking for my gf and I - just sold our cheaper 4 burner and looking at probably a two burner.

I was looking at this Coleman BBQ at Canadian Tire:
Coleman BBQ (http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/BBQs/PropaneBBQs/PRDOVR~0853066P/Coleman+Even+Heat+Small+Spaces+Propane+BBQ.jsp?locale=en)
Seems to have really good reviews.

I forgot about BBQs Galore - I'll probably drop by there to check it out. I'm looking to spend $150-350 preferably, but reluctantly willing to spend more if need be haha.

I looked online at the Webers at HD but it seems small and I think they use Weber gas cannisters when I think I want one that uses my propane tank.

speedog
08-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Isn't a Weber gas canister is just a propane canister with the exact same type of connection the a regular propane tank uses.