GorG
12-08-2008, 04:01 PM
where is the best place to get ribs?

DJ Lazy
12-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Tony Romas' Red Hots (Baby back) :drool:

ExtraSlow
12-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Kansas city short ribs from the Palomino. True slow cooked BBQ.

Jeremiah
12-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
Tony Romas' Red Hots (Baby back) :drool:

not this.

Tony Romas is terrible, i've had better ribs from a box

Their sauces suck and the meat content is just not worth it

TYMSMNY
12-08-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Kansas city short ribs from the Palomino. True slow cooked BBQ.

+1 for Palominos. I think they have Rib Thursdays... :drool:

chkolny541
12-08-2008, 05:22 PM
tony's is crap, and the worst i have ever had was swiss chalet. so no one below me is allowed to say either of those is good

2002civic
12-08-2008, 06:20 PM
Booker's are pretty good

malcolmk14
12-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Palomino, and it ain't even close.

Earl's has surprisingly good ribs also.

JRSC00LUDE
12-09-2008, 02:45 PM
^

Have to admit, I've never been a fan of much of the earls menu but the cajun chicken/hickory back rib combo is actually pretty good. Usually.

Mibz
12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

Have to admit, I've never been a fan of much of the earls menu but the cajun chicken/hickory back rib combo is actually pretty good. Usually. I had this and the meat was phenomenal but I wasn't a big fan of the sauce.

I also agree that Swiss Chalet has THE WORST ribs in Calgary. Moxies are also terrible. BPs have a nice sauce but terrible meat. The Keg's are decent all around. Tony's are about the same for the standard pork ribs. Not a fan of their beef ribs.

I haven't found any restaurant ribs that have ever compared to home-made though.

xLostx
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Saro's ribs in Red Deer FTW

Kritafo
12-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Best ribs from a chain were in the states at Famous Dave's BBQ, other than that I have found slow cook at home is by far the best. Big T's use to have okay ribs then it got hit and miss like all the others.

HHURICANE1
12-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Rather partial to Montana's myself.

EK 2.0
12-09-2008, 07:41 PM
I love Swiss Chalet and Tony's...they should get together and open a rib shack...

I love ribs from the Cove...Now the Cove is NOT the Cove at the U...but from the "Al-Cove" In Motel Village...

Mr. Burns
12-09-2008, 07:46 PM
Palomino hands down... although I do enjoy the honey chipotle ones from Chili's, but that is mostly because of the sauce.

Jynx
12-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Anyone know of places that sell beff ribs other than Tony Romas and the indian places?

CausalInfluence
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
I love Swiss Chalet and Tony's...they should get together and open a rib shack...

I love ribs from the Cove...Now the Cove is NOT the Cove at the U...but from the "Al-Cove" In Motel Village...

Wait, Wait. You actually go in there? Let alone eating from that dive???

Dude. I am pretty sure you are the only person I know that goes there, and doesnt have lymphoma from the asbestoes... Or do you!?!?!?

Okay maybe no asbestoes... but that place is the benchmark for dives. What are you doing eating at a place like that.

EK 2.0
12-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Man that place rocks...You would be surprised how many peeps even some from beyond go there...

I was actually there last night and had some ribs while watching the game...

CausalInfluence
12-11-2008, 12:35 PM
well to be honest man. I went in there once, and I dont think anything could ever make me want to go back.

Maybe its a generational gap, but man that place must of been sweet in the 80's when its patrons (mostly the same people who frequent it now) were younger. Now its just to run down.

Maybe one of these days I'll give it another shot.

EK 2.0
12-11-2008, 12:39 PM
It wasn't around in the 80's...it used to be a Chinese Food Restaurant...It's only been there hte last couple of years...

eb0i
12-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Totally not a Calgary place but I have to mention it. If you ever are in Atlanta you have to hit up Fat Matt's Rib Shack. Best ribs you will ever eat!
http://www.fatmattsribshack.com/
:drool:

CausalInfluence
12-11-2008, 12:47 PM
What!?!?!?!

When did it become the al-cove? I remember my brother talking about it when I was like 10 thats almost 12 years ago.

I just figured from its homely look exterior, and lets not mince words... interior aswell haha that had predated my existance.

szw
12-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I used to drive by there daily and it just looked so ghetto!

Costco food court has ribs that are pretty good for the price. Half a rack for like 7 or 8 bucks. Didn't they find a dead chick in the trunk of a car at that motel a couple years ago?

TYMSMNY
12-11-2008, 12:56 PM
How about that ribs place right behind motel village... across from the Stadium, same mall as the Pho place.. Trex Ribs? LOL, can't put a finger on the name. Heard that place was good.

Kritafo
12-11-2008, 01:08 PM
are you talking about Big T's? I said they made decent ribs. They are southern style.

Same strip mall as DQ the Panago, Saigon Y2K?

TYMSMNY
12-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
are you talking about Big T's? I said they made decent ribs. They are southern style.

Same strip mall as DQ the Panago, Saigon Y2K?

That's the one. Sorry didn't catch you mentioning them. That just came to mind when Motel village was brought up.

Spoons
12-11-2008, 05:03 PM
Well don't get me wrong, Al-Cove definitely looks run down from the outside...

But...

It is only the best place in the world. Their food is awesome, booze is cheap... and karaoke all the time.

What POSSIBLY could be better than sitting down with awesome ribs, a cheap pitcher of beer, and screaming your lungs out to "Total Eclipse of The Heart"?

Nothing thats what... :D

Big T's is also good, but I have only been there once for the Elvis Platter (I think that is what it's called)... Me and two other guys barely finished it.

ExtraSlow
12-11-2008, 05:10 PM
Alcove used to have a waitress that could do a perfect rendition of White Rabbit. I can't remember her name though . . . .

Kritafo
12-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

But...

It is only the best place in the world. Their food is awesome, booze is cheap... and karaoke all the time.

What POSSIBLY could be better than sitting down with awesome ribs, a cheap pitcher of beer, and screaming your lungs out to "Total Eclipse of The Heart"?

Big T's is also good, but I have only been there once for the Elvis Platter (I think that is what it's called)... Me and two other guys barely finished it.

Yes the Elvis platter is what we always get, we go with 2 adults one teen boy that eats everything in site and our daughter. We still have leftovers.

Kritafo
12-11-2008, 05:24 PM
http://www.calgaryplus.ca/bars_restaurants/big_t_s_bbq_smokehouse/1029823

has a pic of the Elvis platter

gqmw
12-11-2008, 05:56 PM

Yes the Elvis platter is what we always get, we go with 2 adults one teen boy that eats me out of house and home and our daughter. We still have leftovers.

Hmm...and the elvis platter doesn't even look that big. I'll have to definitely try it someday.

Spoons
12-11-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by gqmw

Hmm...and the elvis platter doesn't even look that big. I'll have to definitely try it someday.

It's bigger than it looks... Thing's massive. That platter right there is about the size of a small bar table.

Mibz
12-11-2008, 08:37 PM
one teen boy that eats me out wat?

ExtraSlow
12-11-2008, 11:08 PM
wat

hampstor
12-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
wat?

You only left out the rest of it: out of house and home :facepalm:

I've had the Beef Ribs @ the Symons Valley Ranch twice now - both times were good. First time, they came out cold, then came out too hot. However, they were good :love:

swak
12-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

But...

are you serious about the Al Cove??
..but Joey Tomatoes would have some of the best ribs ive had in Calgary, other than my own BBQ!:D

But i usually don't order ribs from a restaurant, never really the first thing on my mind if i see it on a menu.
Only really been to Joey Tomatoes, and T. Romas for ribs

Spoons
12-12-2008, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by swak

are you serious about the Al Cove??
..but Joey Tomatoes would have some of the best ribs ive had in Calgary, other than my own BBQ!:D

But i usually don't order ribs from a restaurant, never really the first thing on my mind if i see it on a menu.
Only really been to Joey Tomatoes, and T. Romas for ribs

Dead serious.

I do live on residence at the university, and I have a c-train that can easily take me downtown to go to whatever bar... but if I was to choose... Al-Cove everytime.

Go there with a few friends, I promise you you will have a blast. It's not like you are going to run into some biker gang in there, it's usually just full of university kids like me.

Come join us, we'll drink you under the table. ;)

EK 2.0
12-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I love the Al-Cove...:love:

CausalInfluence
12-12-2008, 12:03 PM
arif call me the next time you go.

TYMSMNY
12-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Beyond meet at Al Cove?

Mibz
12-12-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
You only left out the rest of it: out of house and home :facepalm: That was the joke :P

Spoons
12-12-2008, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY
Beyond meet at Al Cove?

That would actually be so much fun. Banff is getting boring anyways hahaha.

I just finished my last exam, so I'm free... To celebrate, we are heading to the Cove tonight hahaha