PDA

View Full Version : Used cars: Sell and Buy new or Maintain?

Eibbus
12-09-2008, 01:40 PM
My parents are trying to figure out whether they want to keep their 1994 Volvo 850 Turbo, or to sell it and buy a low end get around vehicle new.

My recommendation to them was to get the car inspected, letting the inspector know their intentions. So basically telling them to identify anything that would potentially need to be fixed over the next 5 years.

Or i guess maybe just get a pre owner's inspection done?

And then based on the cost for maintaining the vehicle, decide whether its worth it to keep the car or sell. The outside and inside is immaculate, we take really good care of our vehicles, but the mechanical side is starting to show its wear and tear.

If they buy a new vehicle it wont be anything over 15k. Comfort is key here, and they are really happy with the Volvo, my concern is they'll buy something cheaper if they go that route and not be happy with the purchase, but on the upside it will be much more mechanically stable then the old car.

What would you guys do?

What are some reputable shops to do the inspection?

hampstor
12-09-2008, 01:46 PM
That's fairly proactive - dont hear people thinking like this often with their cars. Shops that specialize in Volvos would give you the best indication on what needs to be done and what you can expect to see in the next while.

Mr Volvo - Irv was always a good guy to me when I owned a Volvo. However if you go in with a blonde w/ big tits the conversation will move in that direction really quickly.

The other option is Valentine Volvo, I haven't been there in years so I can't comment on how they are.

Eibbus
12-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by hampstor
That's fairly proactive - dont hear people thinking like this often with their cars. Shops that specialize in Volvos would give you the best indication on what needs to be done and what you can expect to see in the next while.

Mr Volvo - Irv was always a good guy to me when I owned a Volvo. However if you go in with a blonde w/ big tits the conversation will move in that direction really quickly.

The other option is Valentine Volvo, I haven't been there in years so I can't comment on how they are.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that the car has always been serviced at Valentine Volvo, and that will not change. They take very good care of us.

Ha, I never really thought to take it to Volvo to see what they think. Trade in to a dealer is probably not an option on such an old vehicle either. Im assuming if we sell, private would be the only way to go but who knows.

If you guys were in the same situation, if the cost to maintain is reasonable ( Lets just assume. $5000 to replace everything that will potentially cause an issue down the road for the next 3 years... past that the costs are uncertain and unpredictable ) would you keep the old car, or decide to purchase new and not have to worry.

blownz
12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
I personally think a repair shop is kind of a biased place to ask if it is worth keeping your old car or buy a new one. If you buy a new one he loses a customer. So it might be worth it to you, but not him so his answer might not be the correct one. Then again, so is a new car dealership. :dunno:

Weapon_R
12-09-2008, 02:06 PM
I think you should let the Volvo go and buy something new. Almost any brand new car should give them more reliable use than a 15 year old volvo.

I'd sell it and spend 15k on a used Camry or Accord. It'll have all the features your parents have in their current car and more, plus you'll get superior reliability.

Eibbus
12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by blownz
I personally think a repair shop is kind of a biased place to ask if it is worth keeping your old car or buy a new one. If you buy a new one he loses a customer. So it might be worth it to you, but not him so his answer might not be the correct one. Then again, so is a new car dealership. :dunno:

Yes, This is exactly one of the predicaments we are in. If we take it to a shop, they will of course come up with a huge list and milk us for what they can. On the otherhand if we take it to a dealership they will obviously try to move inventory and push a sale / trade in. As stated before, their budget for the new vehicle is not much.

rc2002
12-09-2008, 02:46 PM
You won't get much for a 15 year old car like that so I say drive it until it needs a major repair and then decide whether to keep it or ditch it.

prae
12-09-2008, 02:47 PM
15k will not buy you much brand new car (ford focus?), and if you are looking used, you must weigh a well-maintained car you have owned since brand new, against a car with possibly unknown history, and surprise repairs...

My dad still owns a 1993 volvo 240 wagon and enjoys it. He has had work done at all of the volvo shops in town...

He doesn't like bert & jacks or mr. volvo, but likes valentine. Work there will not come cheap however... If there is a lot of bigger maintenance items coming up on the 850, I would consider moving on...

HiTempguy1
12-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by prae
15k will not buy you much brand new car (ford focus?), and if you are looking used, you must weigh a well-maintained car you have owned since brand new, against a car with possibly unknown history, and surprise repairs...

My dad still owns a 1993 volvo 240 wagon and enjoys it. He has had work done at all of the volvo shops in town...

He doesn't like bert & jacks or mr. volvo, but likes valentine. Work there will not come cheap however... If there is a lot of bigger maintenance items coming up on the 850, I would consider moving on...

Yep, what this guy said. While I wouldn't have said a Volvo was the best car to start with, if you have it and have maintained it well, it should be best to keep it.

I would NEVER buy a new car unless I planned on keeping it forever. You take a car off the lot, 30% hit on the price. Think of how much maintainence that 30% hit could do for you on your Volvo.

Preslow
12-09-2008, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
I think you should let the Volvo go and buy something new. Almost any brand new car should give them more reliable use than a 15 year old volvo.

I'd sell it and spend 15k on a used Camry or Accord. It'll have all the features your parents have in their current car and more, plus you'll get superior reliability.

couldn't have worded it better. It'll be a better car most likely as well for your parents.

TACO.VIDAL
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
Your parents Volvo is a known commodity. You know if its been in accidents, you know if its been raced or driven hard, you know if its had its oil changed regularily and maintenance done.

If the Volvo had been reliable and has been maintained, Id lean towards keeping it. How many KMs? Id also check to see if theres any known issues with that particular car. At 14 years though, chances are any problems would have popped up.

Eibbus
12-10-2008, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by TACO.VIDAL
Your parents Volvo is a known commodity. You know if its been in accidents, you know if its been raced or driven hard, you know if its had its oil changed regularily and maintenance done.

If the Volvo had been reliable and has been maintained, Id lean towards keeping it. How many KMs? Id also check to see if theres any known issues with that particular car. At 14 years though, chances are any problems would have popped up.

I havent driven it for a while but im pretty sure its somewhere between 160,000 - 180,000 kms.

Thanks for the opinions!