PDA

View Full Version : Buying a car tonght : Insurance question.

Crymson
12-09-2008, 03:38 PM
So, i'm buying another vehilce tonight an i'm anxious to get plates on it.

Do i need to fax the bill of sale to my insurance company before they'll issue proof of insurance or would i be able to fax them the bill tomorrow so that i could get plates tonight. Also -- does anyone know of a registry open late (like 9pm) in the South (near mcloud, south of anderson).

Supa Dexta
12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Need proof of insurance, before plates/registration will be issued.

TomcoPDR
12-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Only thing is Southland Registries but closes at 8pm

http://www.southlandregistry.com/contactus.php

And I think you can just call your insurance with the vehicle info (year, make, model and VIN) and they'll cover you since you'll owe them $$$ at that point on.

Or just use a plate from a currently insured vehicle.

GQBalla
12-09-2008, 03:47 PM
crowfoot plates closes at 9 pm monday to friday

schocker
12-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by GQBalla
crowfoot plates closes at 9 pm monday to friday This, I have gone there pretty late to get forms and such. But the insurance just needs the info on the car, you could have probably already given them the info and gotten temp slips.

4doorj
12-09-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm with AMA insurance. I usually just tell them the vin of the car and they will email/fax me a copy of my insurance and that's all I have needed to get my plate.(along with the bill of sale of course)
I have done this a ton of times this year with no problems.

topmade
12-09-2008, 03:53 PM
You don't need the bill of sale to get insurance, just the info on the car. You will need the bill + insurance to get plates.

Crymson
12-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Great, thanks beyond! helpful as always.

Hopefully i can do it all at the registry, i'm sure they'll be able to accept a fax from my insurance.

GQBalla
12-09-2008, 04:00 PM
they should be able to fax you your insurance for your new car as long as your going to the same place you already have insurance with.

:D

SilverGS
12-09-2008, 04:04 PM
All you need is the VIN of the car to get insurance on it.

They can then fax you a temp slip and you are gtg on that front.

Crymson
12-09-2008, 04:13 PM
Yup, i'm having teh car inspected at a mechanics now, and if it checks out ok, i'll get the insurance to fax me the slip there and looking on google maps there is a registry in the same building. Huzzah.

+1 for Jim at option import and tire for fitting me in last mintue to do the inspectin.

CausalInfluence
12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
what did you buy!!!!!

Masked Bandit
12-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Crymson
Great, thanks beyond! helpful as always.

Hopefully i can do it all at the registry, i'm sure they'll be able to accept a fax from my insurance.

Fax / email copies of pink cards are perfectly legal. We fax stuff to registry offices several times a day.

ga16i
12-09-2008, 05:52 PM
Last time I put insurance on a car, I just showed the registry the emailed version on my ipod :)

dannie
12-09-2008, 06:50 PM
Fax copies to the registry or pdf are absoultely fine. They are one of the few things that a registry can accept as a copy.

Make sure that the bill of sale and insurance are in your name. If you have a girlfriend or wife or whatever on your bill of sale, they will have to go to the registry with you.

HP2133
12-09-2008, 06:57 PM
What if you are trading in vehicles ? Can you carry over the license plate? Would you have 10 days to register the plate to the new vehicle ?

Crymson
12-09-2008, 07:13 PM
I picked up a 2003 Nissan Xterra XE for the winter. It's in AMAZING shape, low mileage, and i got it at a fantastic price.

Taking it in for an instpection at Option Import and Tire worked REALLY well. I met the sellers there (hadn't seen the car yet). Jim did a pre purchase inspection (sweet deal for 120$ - 200 if you want a compression check).

I had negotiated a bit on the price before hand, so i had a bankdraft on me -- i was 90% sure it was going to fine.

There is a registry right around the corner from Jim's shop on the other end of the strip mall. I phoned my insurance from his shop, they faxed me my proof of insurance to his shop, ran around the corner, got some plates and BAM - this beauty is mine!

4x4's are fun.

n1zm0
12-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Option Import ftw! now you can scrap your
'Looking for a midsized SUV under $5g' thread lol

but seriously did you get it for under 5gs? that would be an insane deal x 10!

one day i'll man up and get a 4x4 (7 vehicles, i've never owned a truck or suv)

Crymson
12-09-2008, 07:25 PM
oh yeah! thanks! i don't display sigs or avatars, so i would have never fixed that.

I paid 11,500 for it. I shook the money tree a bit harder and 5 more g's fell out.