PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss supplements???

ekguy
12-09-2008, 09:28 PM
OK here's the thing. Lost 35 pounds in the last 2 months...Reached a sort of plateau where I'm losing much slower now. I am eating right for the most part. I have my cheat day on friday but since I work doubles on fridays I don't get to cheat much...

Want to know if there is something I could take that could help in losing that last little bit I want to lose...

I know there are supplements for just about everything so someone please point me in the right direction.

Darkane
12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
More NEPA and clean up your diet. Simple as that.

Non Exercise Physical Activity.

Walk more, clean more, develop your basement, clean the garage. Something.

35 pounds in 2 months is actually quite a lot. Anything more than about 2-2.5 lbs a week and you're sacrificing losing muscle. Muscle is the basis for your metabolism. If you have less once you're done and go back to your old eating ways.. oh boy look out.

1997GSR
12-09-2008, 09:49 PM
35 lbs in 2 months is crazy. Are you eating anything?

Do what Darkane says. He is one of the very few guys on here who know what the hell they are talking about.

ekguy
12-09-2008, 10:23 PM
yeah I'm eating plenty of protein which has helped my work out get much more intense...But also I've been hitting the gym 5/6 times a week sometimes 7...Been walking alot. Been working alot and not eating at work (moxie's)...

But also my main goal right now is to lose the fat...I'm pretty big in size so a small amount of muscle on me will be plenty.

Redlined_8000
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Read these two articles:

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built1.htm

http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nutrition/built2.htm

i know their kinda long... but its worth it. will answer alot of your diet questions.

max_boost
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
That's insane! You want to lose more?

How about doing more cardio?

ekguy
12-09-2008, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
That's insane! You want to lose more?

How about doing more cardio?

yeah went from 250 to 215...My target is sub 200...Then after that build muscle mass...

ekguy
12-09-2008, 11:27 PM
but yeah any idea what kinda supplement I could be using to help speed things along...

BenC
12-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Don't expect to keep losing at that rate anymore. When I was 220 I lost the first 20 in 2 months. After that it's all little loss. All I can say is keep doing what you're doing, take a whole weeks rest then go at it again. Make sure your body is getting enough recovery and stay on your diet!
Good luck on your goals, you don't need no supps.

ekguy
12-09-2008, 11:37 PM
Well thats why I want the supps right now hahaha I've reached a plateau for the last 2 weeks...Got told to take a rest which I have done...Well sorta hahaha. I did some cardio at home since we have a recumbent bike, a standard bike and treadmill...I couldn't just stop for a week hahaha...But yeah only lost like 3 pounds in the last 2 weeks....where at first with all my cardio and swimming I was losing much MUCH quicker...

broken_legs
12-10-2008, 12:10 AM
9 posts in and no one has mentioned ECA stack?
:dunno:

ekguy
12-10-2008, 12:17 AM
Well now that you've mentioned it what are they haha.

broken_legs
12-10-2008, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
Well now that you've mentioned it what are they haha.

Ephedrine Caffeine Aspirin ;-)

Thats what pretty much every single weight loss supplement is based on. Clinically proven. Time tested.

You can buy it yourself.

Masked Bandit
12-10-2008, 09:49 AM
I know the ECA stack will work.....for now, but I would advise against it. Not that there is anything overly harmful about the ECA itself, just the fact that it's a crutch that you can't lean on forever.

I've been dealing with being overweight my whole life (I'm 35 now) and I spent a good number of years in my early 20's using all kinds of supplements (including ECA....gawd I loved that stuff) but here is the problem. You can't stay on it forever. If you use it to drop the weight but you have not corrected what put you overweight in the first place (diet / exercise / lifestyle) then you will end up right back where you started.

Over the last almost three years I have dropped almost 50 lbs (40 of that was the first year) without any kind of supplements. I still have another 20 or so to go but because I did it with just proper diet / exercise I am in MUCH better physical condition compared to my early 20's and I feel way better.

I don't want to come off as all preachy / holier than though but it's just a bit of advice from someone who has been there, done that. I don't regret it, I just see now that there is a better way.

Good luck!

ekguy
12-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Well like has been said. I've changed my diet, changed my habits, stopped doing drugs which made a huge difference in my motivation, started hitting the gym regularly...But having hit a plateau I just need something to kick start the weight loss again. I would probably only use said supplements for a month or so.

mdeluxe
12-10-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Ephedrine Caffeine Aspirin ;-)

Thats what pretty much every single weight loss supplement is based on. Clinically proven. Time tested.

You can buy it yourself.

yeh its a good mix forsure that you can buy over the counter, I remember a while ago you can get Epedra40 (40mg/pill) those were intense and not the downgraded ones you can get now, the real shit

89coupe
12-10-2008, 10:41 AM
There is this amazing system for losing weight, get this Its gauranteed to work so don't fall off your chair when you hear it.

Its pretty simple actually, burn more calories then you consume.

I know I know, its fucking amazing, but you will be shocked as to how well it works, NO JOKE!

r3ccOs
12-10-2008, 10:54 AM
I personally find its easy to cut down to the 11% bodyfat range, but getting below requires immense dedication of a calorie restricted diet and a fair mixture of both cardio aerobic/anerobic exercises

Remembering that building muscles also changes your fat percentage ration, its important to ensure you are making accommodations to have a strength/resistance routine in your regimen.

ekguy
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe
There is this amazing system for losing weight, get this Its gauranteed to work so don't fall off your chair when you hear it.

I know I know, its fucking amazing, but you will be shocked as to how well it works, NO JOKE!

hahahah go have a 150$ lunch or something. Oh and here's a funny one learn how to read. I am losing weight still...And burning more than I consume. I hit a plateau...read it again P L A T E A U...I need something to kick start losing faster again since I'm almost at my target weight. I just don't want to sit at this weight for another month while still hitting cardio hard and dieting like a mofo. Just seems like a waste right now since I I'm not losing as fast as I was before...I took a week off the gym so maybe hitting it hard again will kick start it but if not I'll try what was mentioned above. ECA stacks or whatever it is.

mdeluxe
12-10-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 89coupe

:closed:

ekguy
12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by r3ccOs
I personally find its easy to cut down to the 11% bodyfat range, but getting below requires immense dedication of a calorie restricted diet and a fair mixture of both cardio aerobic/anerobic exercises

Remembering that building muscles also changes your fat percentage ration, its important to ensure you are making accommodations to have a strength/resistance routine in your regimen.

my personal trainer has me on a routine which is core one day, arms and upper body another, and then legs another...This is followed by 1 hour on treadmill at a run...Then by choice since I'm a strong swimmer I go do 40 laps in the pool after. Seems to have been working great for the first 2 months...Should I maybe switch up my routine to start losing again???

kutt3r
12-10-2008, 11:30 AM
First off you have no details for anything, so while you will get lots of 'generic' responses here you are not going to get one for you.

Things that are good to know:
bf%:
height:
weight: 215#'s (with bf you calculate LBM so that you have a better picture of your caloric requirement)

Diet, exactly what you are eating and how many calories.. you can sit here and say you eat good all day long, but honestly that don't mean sh!t, how many calories are you taking and what is the break down. Sorry to say when you hit a plateau or are looking to get into single digit bf% the details matter, suppliments don't. First thing a decent trainer should do is have someone write a diet log for a week before even touching a weight room.

Workout - what are doing and how much? Your answer could be as simple as switching it up if you have been doing the same routine for the last bit.

I cannot stress the importance of a log book when seriously trying to lose weight.

As always Darkane's advice is sound...Start with the basics, make sure you are solid, then look at the ECA stack, but start slowly with it to see how your body handles it, if you have pre-exisiting heart issues, or they run in the family, talk to a Dr before trying it. ECA has to be cycled for maximum effect, just like a steriod, your body will quickly build a tolerance to the caffine.

I like how everyone recommends ECA, but have no clue of the sides and never warn anyone... but WTF a 40mg eph pill? or is it a mixture? Are you trying to have a heart attack? That is almost double reccomended.....

kutt3r
12-10-2008, 11:39 AM

my personal trainer has me on a routine which is core one day, arms and upper body another, and then legs another...This is followed by 1 hour on treadmill at a run...Then by choice since I'm a strong swimmer I go do 40 laps in the pool after. Seems to have been working great for the first 2 months...Should I maybe switch up my routine to start losing again???

Here's your first problem... a day of core? a day of arms?
I would personally not reccomend this for losing weight stick to the big 3 squats, deads, bench (I like pullups/chins/dips in there as well) You want to hit big muscle groups hard and fast, small muscle are a waste of time unless you are body building or have a weakness that you need to correct.

Second issue....Thats a lot of cardio... I would be curious to see your caloric intake. The treadmill has to be good for 300-700 calories and the swimming is good for another good chunk 500+... are you eating while working out? otherwise you have no muscle glucose left and you are canablizing your muscle...counter productive....

ekguy
12-10-2008, 01:17 PM
I don't eat while training. I eat before hand. And usually have a banana, orange or apple and lot's of water.

Oz-
12-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Take a step back for a minute.

In the last 2 weeks you have "plateaued" because you have only lost 3 lbs? That is still ~1.5lbs of weight loss per week.

You do realize that weigth loss is not linear. If your goal is under 200 lbs the last 15 lbs will be very difficult, unless of course you lose all your muslce along with it and rebound badly. In these past 2 weeks is your only metric the scale? How about your pants, do they fit looser? What does the mirror say? Don't get hung up on body weight.

ECA will be quick and effective, but the rebound will probably make it worse for you. It changes dopamine and epinephrine levels in the brain.

- Do you even know what your body composition is? LBM/BF%
- What is your food intake (be specific) on a daily basis? (macro breakdown helps and so does meal frequency)

One last thing, more is not better. Get back to the basics and stop the fancy Flex magazine routines that you are doing.

kutt3r
12-10-2008, 03:54 PM
I don't eat while training. I eat before hand. And usually have a banana, orange or apple and lot's of water.

Get your body comp done ASAP... I would be afraid that you are burning way more muscle than fat, its going to hurt your metabolism big time.

How long for your weights?
1 hr run
How long for the 40 laps? (I dont think I could do 3 laps...)

With what you are having you might be good for 1 1/2hrs tops, and that would be pushing it.

Any way you could break what you are doing into 2 workouts?
(I know it is inconvient, but splits work great when you are trying to cut fat and maintain LBM)

Side note...
Body comp/measurements/goal setting/diet should be the first thing a trainer does for you, if he didnt, you are throwing your money away...

ekguy
12-10-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
Take a step back for a minute.

In the last 2 weeks you have "plateaued" because you have only lost 3 lbs? That is still ~1.5lbs of weight loss per week.

You do realize that weigth loss is not linear. If your goal is under 200 lbs the last 15 lbs will be very difficult, unless of course you lose all your muslce along with it and rebound badly. In these past 2 weeks is your only metric the scale? How about your pants, do they fit looser? What does the mirror say? Don't get hung up on body weight.

ECA will be quick and effective, but the rebound will probably make it worse for you. It changes dopamine and epinephrine levels in the brain.

- Do you even know what your body composition is? LBM/BF%
- What is your food intake (be specific) on a daily basis? (macro breakdown helps and so does meal frequency)

One last thing, more is not better. Get back to the basics and stop the fancy Flex magazine routines that you are doing.

pants fit way looser, work uniform had to be replaced...But still I was losing much MUCH more before I figured I'd still be another month or 2 before I stopped losing weight so quick...I gaining muscle mass like this as well...Gain a bunch then just slows down to a crawl??? I mean it's nice to see myself getting thinner but it's slowed down considerably and Alex doesn't like waiting hahaha.

Darkane
12-10-2008, 09:55 PM
Ekguy record everything you eat in here: www.fitday.com

Make it as accurate as possible. Once you get a baseline of calories (4 days of logging food) then you can determine the next step.

Do this, I'll help you further If I know whats going on.

broken_legs
12-10-2008, 11:32 PM

pants fit way looser, work uniform had to be replaced...But still I was losing much MUCH more before I figured I'd still be another month or 2 before I stopped losing weight so quick...I gaining muscle mass like this as well...Gain a bunch then just slows down to a crawl??? I mean it's nice to see myself getting thinner but it's slowed down considerably and Alex doesn't like waiting hahaha.

If you have plateaued you have to change something.

Try doing some different type of exercises. Try doing some crazy kettle bell workouts, mix it in with body weight exercises from Crossfit or some of them from that p90X. Work in some plyometrics for a week or two then switch to something else.

I found a good combo (for me anyways) where I run on the treadmill, do pull ups, v-up situps, pushups, then burpees as fast as I can. Those exercises destroy me and I feel like im burning up for the rest of my workout when i lift weights now.

Just gotta start working in some different exercises, at different levels of intensity and your body will respond.

theken
12-10-2008, 11:52 PM
you havent peaked, your losing weight at a normal rate now, your body is consuming the fat and you have put on muscle mass, your not supposed to lose 8 lbs a week, not healthy

broken_legs
12-11-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by theken
you havent peaked, your losing weight at a normal rate now, your body is consuming the fat and you have put on muscle mass, your not supposed to lose 8 lbs a week, not healthy

I know its kind of anecdotal that losing 5 plds a week itsn't healthy. But are there actually studies that say losing weight fast is bad for your health?

If your eating healthy, not destroying your joints, bones or muscle, improving your fitness and still losing 5 lbs/week why is that "unhealthy"?

I hear this all the time but I've never read anything anywhere that says it is actually unhealthy. All of the stuff i read tends to talk about "sustainable" weight loss and "keeping the pounds off" not that fast weight loss is unhealthy. As if you can't handle making a sudden change to your diet and lifestyle without faulting back to your old eating habits. Whats the difference between doing it fast and gradually working out bad foods?

Just curious is all. If you have a link or something I'm willing to read and learn :)

Sakui77
12-11-2008, 12:19 AM
OK here's the thing. Lost 35 pounds in the last 2 months...Reached a sort of plateau where I'm losing much slower now. I am eating right for the most part. I have my cheat day on friday but since I work doubles on fridays I don't get to cheat much...

Want to know if there is something I could take that could help in losing that last little bit I want to lose...

I know there are supplements for just about everything so someone please point me in the right direction.

try some CLA, it actually helps you to not get hungry as often and you eat less

theken
12-11-2008, 06:08 PM
I googled healthy weight loss and something off medical journal said 1.5 to 2.5 or something was healthy

JAYMEZ
12-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Great Loss for sure!! When was the last time you switched up your work out routine?

kutt3r
12-11-2008, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by theken
I googled healthy weight loss and something off medical journal said 1.5 to 2.5 or something was healthy

Weight means nothing if you are sacrificing LBM.

If you lose 1.5 pds and 1 pd of that is muscle... what did you gain?

Get body comp
Monitor body comp
As long as Bf% is going down without burning too much LBM you are good.

Stop worshiping the scale, body comp & measurements are all that count, unless you fight, OL/PL or bodybuild.

ekguy
12-15-2008, 01:44 AM
Well tomorrow I am starting up again. Gonna switch it up a bit. Gonna start hitting the weights a bit more and treadmill less...Not going to stop swimming though... At the most i have another 2 to 3 weeks of swimming left till I have to stay out of the pool for a month...Tattoos are nice but can't hit a pool for a good 3 weeks month after getting it and have tattoo 7 booked and paid for already...I'm thinking more swimming less treadmill and more free weights might be enough of a change to get my weight loss going again. Gonna try an ECA as well possibly...Couple people at my work using em and although they say it's weird at first they love the results...

Dunno if I should but what do I have to lose but more weight hahaha.

kutt3r
12-15-2008, 02:18 PM
^^
Get your body comp done ;)

Sounds like a sound plan

Good Luck!
:thumbsup: