PDA

View Full Version : Dinan 335 opinions

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 09:44 PM
So i just saw the dinan 335 at bmw today.
has dinan exhaust (free flow) stage 1 suspension (koni shocks + sport springs) and a ecu upgrade. Puts it to 384hp 421ft/lb tq

seems pretty nice
about $65K +this - that

What are your thoughts?

funkedelic2
12-09-2008, 10:14 PM
384hp huh, are you sure about that?

benyl
12-09-2008, 10:17 PM
That is about right.

If you are concerned about warranty, go with Dinan. Otherwise there are many other solutions that are far cheaper and generate more power.

Some guys are running over 400 whp on 100 octane with minimal mods.

350whp on 93 octane isn't unheard of either.

Check e90post or n54tech forums.

Team_Mclaren
12-09-2008, 10:20 PM
is this the demo dinan they have?

for 65K why not get an M3?:dunno:

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2
384hp huh, are you sure about that?

I got the specs right infront of me:
Max Hp 384 @ 5700rpm
Max TQ 421lb-ft @ 4300rpm

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
is this the demo dinan they have?

for 65K why not get an M3?:dunno:

61K is the price of the 335 + all th dinan mods - 5K incentive = 65K (brand new 08)

the M3's are still 70K+

they are have some interesting discounts on the vehicles...
approx 5K off 335 upto 30k of 650's (with list of 125Kish)

Team_Mclaren
12-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Weeks ago when they were having the sale on 08s you can get an M3 for with a 12k discount h with 1%. comes out to be around 72 OTD. which looking at your 335 its gonna be around 68 OTD... 4k more for an M3...

btw:
M3 > Dinan 335\\
http://www.webridestv.com/showvideo.aspx?video=79736

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 10:45 PM
^^^
Hahaha! Too funny. I just dowloaded that 1/2hr ago. That was a stage 3 335 though, but still a good shoot out.

BTW, Please educate me as to what higher TQ numbers will do for you. the M3 has 2XX lb tq and the 335 had 4XX lb tq

Eleanor
12-09-2008, 10:47 PM
More power down low.

If you don't know what torque is, you should buy a Camry :thumbsup:

funkedelic2
12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
Hmm seemed a little high. I would go for the M3 at that price as well. Sounds like they have some smoking deals going down there. Is it pretty hard to get financing at the 2 BMW dealers in Calgary? Do they try to work with you or are they pretty easy to dismiss you if it seem you may not make tons of money.

funkedelic2
12-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
More power down low.

If you don't know what torque is, you should buy a Camry :thumbsup:

Yeah the 335 feels faster than the m3 at <5k rpms due to torque. M3 feels faster on higher end but where do you really drive that you can open up a car like that on public roads.

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Hmm seemed a little high. I would go for the M3 at that price as well. Sounds like they have some smoking deals going down there. Is it pretty hard to get financing at the 2 BMW dealers in Calgary? Do they try to work with you or are they pretty easy to dismiss you if it seem you may not make tons of money.

It looks like BMW is, (like all the auto makers) succumbing to the recessionary pressures of the market. And though they are not overly excited when you walk in the door:dunno: I think they are still looking to get a sale out.

funkedelic2
12-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by psi_klops

It looks like BMW is, (like all the auto makers) succumbing to the recessionary pressures of the market. And thought they are not overly excited when you walk in the door:dunno: I think they are still looking to get a sale out.

Yeah, are you a younger guy as well? I want to go up to Calgary to look at new car. I am in my early 20s, so i imagine they won't take me seriously right away or assume i can afford to buy a brand new car from them.

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
dont even get me started. I tried to buy a car from them last summer and the guy I was dealing with was an ass! There was another younger sales guy I chatted with that seemed nice, but he said you cannot switch sales people once someone has started helping you.
The thing that pissed me off is that at most other dealerships (or any store for that matter) they at least pretend to care about you as a customer. At BMW, i feel like I am more of a hassle. Then again, thats how I was treated at Mercedes too (insert sterotype)
Even if i am not buying an sl 65 amg or m6 they should still treat you courteously.
This is one reason I do not want to buy from them...but it is hard to buy a newer bmw/ MB/ Lexus etc from anyone other than the dealer.
-end rant-

gpomp
12-09-2008, 11:14 PM
the $8k or whatever they want for the S1 package is too much for a muffler, springs, shocks, and a few badges.

the 09 335 is a lot nicer than the 08, especially if you get the idrive package.

Yeah, are you a younger guy as well? I want to go up to Calgary to look at new car. I am in my early 20s, so i imagine they won't take me seriously right away or assume i can afford to buy a brand new car from them. i only get that at honda/acura for some reason.

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 11:16 PM
any major diff between 08 to 09??

psi_klops
12-09-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
the $8k or whatever they want for the S1 package is too much for a muffler, springs, shocks, and a few badges.

the 09 335 is a lot nicer than the 08, especially if you get the idrive package.

i only get that at honda/acura for some reason.

is it just me! I saw the dinan exhaust on display and it looked rather cheeply put together. Really messy weld seams and is it even mandrel bent? at $1800+ for the system, my old spoon and skunk2 exhaust looks better and is far cheeper

funkedelic2
12-10-2008, 12:44 AM
dont even get me started. I tried to buy a car from them last summer and the guy I was dealing with was an ass! There was another younger sales guy I chatted with that seemed nice, but he said you cannot switch sales people once someone has started helping you.
The thing that pissed me off is that at most other dealerships (or any store for that matter) they at least pretend to care about you as a customer. At BMW, i feel like I am more of a hassle. Then again, thats how I was treated at Mercedes too (insert sterotype)
Even if i am not buying an sl 65 amg or m6 they should still treat you courteously.
This is one reason I do not want to buy from them...but it is hard to buy a newer bmw/ MB/ Lexus etc from anyone other than the dealer.
-end rant-

Thats not cool, these guys should really change their attitudes. There are a lot of rich kids around now a days. (Not saying i am one of them, i work hard for everything) Going there and getting some asshole with that mentality right away without knowing a thing about me would turn me off from buying from them immediately.

rage2
12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
In Calgary, if you only care about street driving and straight line, modded 335s are cheaper and faster than the M3. The M3 loses about 60-70hp at our elevation.

dimi
12-10-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

btw:
M3 &gt; Dinan 335\\
http://www.webridestv.com/showvideo.aspx?video=79736

That was pretty close, considering the 335 doesn't even have a LSD.

I would say get a 335 for the following reasons:
1. Torque - You will rarely get the chance to wind out that V8, while a stock 335 has 300lb/ft waiting at 1300rpm.
2. Power- At this altitude the M3 is making nowhere near the claimed horsepower or torque. Driving my car from Cali, I witnessed the same phenomenon.
3. Price
4. Fuel Economy
5. The lack of a proper racing venue in Calgary. Not too caught up with whats going on at Race City, but I am still under the impression that there will be no track next year.

Dinan is way overpriced IMO as well. You can get cheap piggybacks that will net you 40-50whp with no real detrimental effects to your engine. You have to remove it before going into the dealershit though or else you have a voided warranty.

Mind you, I would get an M3 if you are considering DCT, those are fun!

boxer23
12-10-2008, 01:13 AM
For the money, I would rather get a New C63 AMG or a barely used C6 Z06

Aleks
12-10-2008, 08:14 AM
I got a ride in that Dinan 335 and it pulls really hard but it has close to 3K kms on it now. Also when we were there the discount on it was $10K and discounts on remaining non modded 335s are $8k or so.

ZeroGravity
12-10-2008, 08:46 AM
a bit off topic...

but Dinan event tonight at Calgary BMW... Steve Dinan is supposed to be there.

benyl
12-10-2008, 10:31 AM
any major diff between 08 to 09??

Sedan = refresh

Coupe = new idrive, packages are different, shadowline.

Wish I waited for the '09 coupe.

DCT is available in Europe on the 335. Haven't heard of anyone in NA getting it yet.

R-Audi
12-10-2008, 10:43 AM
There is a used Demo Dinan at Cal. BMW and a brand new white one on the floor... the New one also comes with Dinan wheels.

psi_klops
12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Ya the new one was what I saw. It has some 30km (30 period!)
It is auto with paddle shift. The used ones all have like 13K km and are roughly the same price.

I am not a fan of the wheels...and as a 7k upgrade, it would be something I would do without. You can opt out of the wheel upgrade and you will just get factory 18's...saving yourself 7k off the sticker.

ICEBERG
12-10-2008, 09:37 PM
I got the Dinan flash from BMW gallery over the summer on my 335i. Total cost was $1900... I noticed the car runs a bit hotter, but I still did not crack the 250 degree mark which is great. The harder I drove the more the car gave back to me. It was as if she was begging me to drive her harder and harder. I think the ECU takes a bit to adjust to the new software. Throttle response is amazing to say the least and top end acceleration is unreal! The car begs to be kept above 4k rpm and you can chirp all day in 3rd gear. The power is smooth as butter thru to redline.

For everyday driving 335i FTW...

cheers,

EDIT: The car is having a problem now though on 3rd gear. I get a couple second delay when shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. It does it when the DTC is off. The dealer is drying to figure out he problem. Could be the fuel pump but they don't know yet. Hopefully the dealer can get this figured out before summer hits.:)