PDA

View Full Version : My Desktop has Aids

natejj
12-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Or at least, that is the only logical explanation I can think of, for the problems I've been having. It started with the odd BSOD, and a restart. It graduated into the computer not booting at all, and just going to windows loading screen, then rebooting over and over. So I formatted, and it was good. For 2 days. Back to BSOD. Critical window files were dissapearing on their own. Then suddenly it wouldn't Post. So I took out 3 of 4 sticks of ram. We were good. For one day. Then it BSOD. Format. Now it looks like THIS. W T F. I've been dealing with PC's for a long time, and have never had this much trouble and not been able to solve it. I think it must be hardware. I think its the hard drive? Maybe memory? I have 4 sticks of memory to try, and each does same thing? Maybe motherboard? It's been running like a dream for a year! So.. i figure it has aids. I've reinstalled the video drivers, so it's not that.

You help me fix, I love you long time.

http://img361.imageshack.us/img361/6889/wtfbh4.th.jpg (http://img361.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfbh4.jpg)

jav_
12-09-2008, 10:42 PM
is it xp sp3?

natejj
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
No, SP2. It's not a legit copy, but I've been using the same one for 2 years on multiple machines, no problems.

adam c
12-09-2008, 10:43 PM
most likely the HD

takkyu
12-09-2008, 10:44 PM
botched harddrive maybe?

natejj
12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
That would explain random files disappearing on their own, and the constant crashes... at least it's under warranty.

Mibz
12-09-2008, 10:48 PM
RHDSetup.log

Found your problem right there. Install a USDM version of Windows and you'll be fine.

Seriously though, if files are disappearing then I'd imagine bad clusters on the hard drive. Have you tried running a chkdsk? How old is the HDD?

Grogador
12-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Your SP2 could be getting pwned repeatedly, it has a lot of holes. Just get the SP3 re-distributable and install it, Automatic Updates works fine on 'borrowed' copies and WGA doesn't do anything nowadays besides block you from manually doing Windows Updates, so don't let that stop you.

Overall psychic diagnosis points at bad power supply. If not, try memtest86, SiSoft Sandra and 3DMark to narrow down your issues, or just start pulling hardware (anything, NICs, soundcards, etc) or disabling stuff in BIOS, reloading safest/slowest defaults, etc. But try PSU first!