PDA

View Full Version : How do you hockey stop?

96integra
12-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Okay, i'm pretty good at rollerblading and ice skating...only problem is I can't stop on the ice.
I've always skated but never tried to stop and tonight I went on the ice and tried so hard but could not get to a sliding stop.
Everytime I try at low speeds, I always do a sharp turn and when I don't turn, I just suddenly kind of stop by catching the edge, but its wrong.
Maybe it's because I was using brand new skates or didnt have enough speed?
Any techniques or is it just 'practice makes perfect'?

Input is appreciated.

ZorroAMG
12-11-2008, 12:29 AM
Try more than once instead of asking beyond?

Benny
12-11-2008, 12:32 AM
Just go faster. You can't really get a decent stop at slow speeds unless your skates are dull. It takes a while to learn how to stop well, and you're gonna fall down a lot. If you aren't falling then you aren't trying hard enough.

JfuckinC
12-11-2008, 12:35 AM
do you know how the blade of a skate is shaped? cause that would help lol.. its like an upside down u, you have to stop on the opposite edge of the blade from the direction your stoping into. so your wieght should always be behind that blade... i think thats sort of a good way to explain it? :dunno: lol

bspot
12-11-2008, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by JfuckinC
do you know how the blade of a skate is shaped? cause that would help lol.. its like an upside down u, you have to stop on the opposite edge of the blade from the direction your stoping into. so your wieght should always be behind that blade... i think thats sort of a good way to explain it? :dunno: lol

I think a good way to start is just using the inside edge of your outside foot. If you are right footed, use your right foot as your outside skate to start, use the inside edge of that skate to stop.

It's impossible to learn unless you have some speed. Otherwise you have to kinda jump into it almost which isn't easy if you're just learning.

5000Audi
12-11-2008, 01:04 AM
good question!!!

there are a few differant ways to stop on the ice..

1)try and to turn one of your skates inwords then push it forword in front of you a bit and apply the pressure onto it.... so your skates are like this | \ ok..

2) while skating take your one skate and put it behind the other kind of like a T and then take the weight off the front skate and have it on the rear skate

3)now for the dbl skate stop.. this one takes practice.. there isnt really a good way to explain it.. best i can think of is practice with going down the ice with a bit of speed and do a long wide turn while putting pressure on the outside skate when its angled.. that will get you use to being on a angle and going sideways when stopping.. i dunno hard to explain a way of dbl skate stopping

4) when you get good at those then there is the backwords stop.. this one is prob one of the easyest of them all.. ( if you can skate backwords lol) when going backwords simply lean forword and angle both skates outwords like \ / that.. and it will come to a stop..

But the best advice for anyone is to put on my gear and practice.. reason for gear is that you wont be a hurting unit after you fall a few times.. so yeah just go out and practice..

where do you skate.. i can always come down and give you some tips and show you..lmk.. so shoot me a pm bud!

revelations
12-11-2008, 10:14 AM
If your skates are just sharpened, you will have to go quite fast to be able to do a proper stop - otherwise you will just do a turn.

Supa Dexta
12-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Try just one foot at first. Get it sliding, and play with how much pressure it takes to dig in enough to slow you, then move onto getting both skates to do it.

revelations
12-11-2008, 10:22 AM
5) Turning stop.... youre ina turn and you have to stop quick while maintaining your turn.

Instead of havin both skates like
this in a right-hand turn

___ | <- right skate
___| <- left skate

try this:

_____ / <- right skate
___ | < - left skate

If youre right skate starts to hop, put more pressure on your right toe.

tawheed
12-11-2008, 10:25 AM
i learnt on dull skates (by accident) it was much easier and the transition was good to sharp skates.. it's less intimidating with dull skates cuz it doesn't catch as quick..

96integra
12-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for all the comments. I will attempt this again tonight. Maybe it's cause my skates are freshly sharpened and I wasn't getting enough speed :dunno:

My friend tried to teach me but couldnt explain, could only show me.
IT LOOKS SO EASY....

supe
12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Haha, I've tried many many many times, cant do it. I consider myself pretty proficient on roller blades, and a decent skater. Still cant do it.

Word of advice, while your learning, take out any expensive phones out of your pocket.

89s1
12-11-2008, 10:53 AM
i learned to hockey stop by skiing.

its the same as stopping at the bottom of the hill after a run. if you've never skiied, I sugegst you try it, as a rollerblader and skater you'lll get it quick.

Eleanor
12-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by 96integra
Okay, i'm pretty good at ice skating...only problem is I can't stop on the ice.
You contradicted yourself in your first sentence :rofl:

shadowz
12-11-2008, 11:55 AM
check out this video
it worked out great, after I watched the video i was actually able to stop couldnt stop laughing that i could do it lol
NUbW_br_79Q

LadyLuck
12-11-2008, 12:04 PM
I slam into the boards, most of the time...they stop me right away :D

SJW
12-11-2008, 12:13 PM
Learn the way Stan learned to ski..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY2XU9fVrtU

Chester
12-11-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by shadowz
check out this video
it worked out great, after I watched the video i was actually able to stop couldnt stop laughing that i could do it lol
NUbW_br_79Q

LOL.

Skate as fast as possible and once you see those boards approaching you'll want to stop.

PGTze
12-11-2008, 02:16 PM
It will be easier to learn if your skates are DULL. If your skates are freshly sharpened you will have a very difficult time.

edit: I see someone already said this, best piece of advice in the thread.

95teetee
12-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by LadyLuck
I slam into the boards, most of the time...they stop me right away :D always worked for Paul Ranheim:rofl:

96integra
12-11-2008, 11:34 PM
No luck.

I tried going faster but I keep ending up doing really sharp turns. I tried to turn my skates 90 degrees too but it just wouldnt turn and would always straighten out WTF...my feet hurt! Falling is scary too.

I also tried to do this thing I saw on youtube where you just stand in one spot and repeatedly with one foot push out in the motion you would when you stop to get the hang of the skid. Even that was difficult cause I think my skates are too sharp :dunno:

FAAACK :banghead:

adidas
12-11-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by 96integra
No luck.

I tried going faster but I keep ending up doing really sharp turns. I tried to turn my skates 90 degrees too but it just wouldnt turn and would always straighten out WTF...my feet hurt! Falling is scary too.

I also tried to do this thing I saw on youtube where you just stand in one spot and repeatedly with one foot push out in the motion you would when you stop to get the hang of the skid. Even that was difficult cause I think my skates are too sharp :dunno:

FAAACK :banghead:

So then none of the hockey players would be able to stop since there skates are too "sharp" haha

But keep trying dude, its not a type of thing that u could ask about it from others, we can jsut give u tips but u gotta go out and keep trying until u get it down!

And your gonna fall eventually, so dont be scared of it!

USHER
12-11-2008, 11:49 PM
i had a really hard time learning how to stop as well. the way everyone told me was pretty confusing till i saw this video.

I7THBwRKjdA

nusneak
12-11-2008, 11:54 PM
how do you hockey stop? LOLOLOL :rofl:

PGTze
12-12-2008, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by nusneak
how do you hockey stop? LOLOLOL :rofl:

Weak :rolleyes:

Most Canadian kids learn when they are young, as did I, so it's hard to explain in words. Just keep with it, skating is one of the hardest things to master in sports, it's just not a natural human function. If it were easy hockey parents wouldn't be paying hundred's of dollars a year for things like power skating lessons.

megavolt
12-12-2008, 09:18 AM
The biggest thing you have to learn is the angle at which your skate will shave across the ice instead of biting into it. That's what the standing still and shaving the ice sideways exercise is all about. Once you figure out that angle it's a matter of learning to do that while moving until you've got your skates sideways then dig the skates in (sharper angle) to stop. Hope that helps.

msommers
12-12-2008, 10:30 AM
The key really is having faith in a very quick, abrupt movement. Unfortunately, going slow isn't an option. Borrow some hockey pants and a helmet and have atter'.

The biggest thing I can think of, hahaha while sitting at my laptop, is to put more pressure on your heels rather than your toe, which is probably causing you to turn instead of stop.

I really want to go skating now instead of "studying":rofl:

Rstar
12-12-2008, 10:32 AM
Snowplow / \

hahahaha

Rstar
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
That guy in the video is hilarious. Looks liek such a dbag and he cant even skate well and for fuck sakes he has a sleeveless shirt on

USHER
12-12-2008, 11:00 AM
haha thats what i thought too. but his motions helped me understand how to stop. all my friends tried to explain it to me and i always ended up just turning.

yea also try what megavolt was saying. once you learn that you can practice using your edge with a snow plow stop.

msommers
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
I just watched that video and his instructions are pretty good. But dear God learn how to cross-over :rofl: @3:25

Isaiah
12-12-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
Try more than once instead of asking beyond?

:rolleyes:

megavolt
12-12-2008, 04:33 PM
^ Definately wear equipment while trying to learn stopping. Knees, pants, elbow, gloves, helmet.

Marsh
12-12-2008, 07:44 PM
Don't be afraid of falling, you've got to really dig your skates into ice when you turning and lean back so that the blade doesn't get caught. I used to just be able to do those quick turns when i was starting out,, but keep trying it comes with practice man

cam_wmh
12-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Honestly, I think your blades should be duller than normal. It allows the blades to slide perpendicular 'easier'. Actually, most of the other defensemen on my team prefer a uniform shallow cut as well. Aggressive, & deep heal-toe-heal-toe are where the sharper blades are advantageous to a sharp turn. (common techniques of a forward to out-maneuver defenders)

I'm not going snowboarding in this brutal cold, but I may pop down to the Lake or Rink for an hour. Where do you go skating? I might be able provide some pointers.

Supa Dexta
12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
If you're turning sharply your not placing your weight right.. You need to let the skate slide more at first, and then once you get better you can dig in more and more, as you get used to the feeling. Think of it like ice drifting. ha... Like I said just try with one foot at first, and get used to feeling how much pressure it takes to dig in.

96integra
12-12-2008, 11:26 PM
It's too cold and windy out so i'll have to wait. Good thing or else i'd be out skating instead of studying.

I usually skate at the Hamptons or Hidden Valley rink in the N.W. Ice is not bad but I hate their schedule and lights usually go off around 10.

$20 bucks to the first person who can teach me to stop :poosie:

cam_wmh
12-13-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh man.. I'm other end of town from ya.

96integra
12-20-2008, 01:33 AM
I finally had the chance to go to the Olympic Oval tonight...and their ice is fiine!

I DID IT! I CAN HOCKEY STOP WOOOOT!

easiest way is to have a feel for it using one foot | \
then BAM it just happened...I dont even know how :poosie:

Rocky
12-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Ah practice, how easy you make things over long, gradual periods of time.

Congratulations :D I was kind of a bitch when I was a kid, never wanted to learn to skate, but I really regret it now. And these days, I hate to admit it, but I'd feel too embarrassed start learning at ~20 ish.

nusneak
12-20-2008, 09:51 PM
Dude just go fast, jump, turn your feet sideways and lean back. 1 of 3 things will happen;
1.) you won't be leaning back far enough and will get tossed forward
2.) you will be leaning back too far and slide on your ass
3.) you will acheive the coveted hockey stop.

It's really easy, but if you not going fast enough your not going to be able to do it properly. Practice, practice, practice.
If you don't get it, try doing something different.

96integra
12-21-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by nusneak
Dude just go fast, jump, turn your feet sideways and lean back. 1 of 3 things will happen;
1.) you won't be leaning back far enough and will get tossed forward
2.) you will be leaning back too far and slide on your ass
3.) you will acheive the coveted hockey stop.

It's really easy, but if you not going fast enough your not going to be able to do it properly. Practice, practice, practice.
If you don't get it, try doing something different.

Yea I don't think I want to try to jump into it yet, maybe when I get better. I'm just trying to do it faster.
Only fell once so far hehe...and I got like 2 feet of air.

stevieo
12-22-2008, 02:33 PM
ask team_mclaren to teach you. hahaha after me and him went out and then he slammed into the boards cause he caught an edge... haha his hand turned purple and swollen.
needless to say i didn't learn how to stop that night HAHAHA after i saw him do that i wanted to leave hahaha

Zigo
12-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Hey, if you need any help. Come on down to the sandstone rink. I'm there everyday from 2:00 to 5:00. I might not be here today. Gotta get some shopping done.

96integra
12-22-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by Zigo
Hey, if you need any help. Come on down to the sandstone rink. I'm there everyday from 2:00 to 5:00. I might not be here today. Gotta get some shopping done.

Yea definately! Maybe we can play some shinny...but it's been too cold lately to even go out.

R!zz0
12-22-2008, 07:59 PM
Don't jump when you're about to stop. This is why...

If you're gonna jump and stop, then wear these (http://www.bowmanvillesportshop.com/images/products/jackson_figure.jpg)

If you wanna learn how to stop and look good doing it, then wear these (http://www.besportier.com/archives/Reebok-9k-pump-hockey-skates.jpg)

When girls see you stopping like a pro, you'll feel like him (http://sharkspage.com/galleries/2007_sharks_calgary3/images/sharks_calgary23.jpg)

Good luck.

Zigo
12-22-2008, 08:33 PM
-16°C! Tomorrow! I'll be at the sandstone rink at 12! Ill wear a santa hat if anyone decides to drop by.

O man look at this weather!

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/CAAB0049

:clap:

petoria
03-12-2009, 01:45 PM
BUMP!
alright so i'm where 96integra used to be...
haha jus got skates this year, and i can't hockey stop, gonna go home watch all those videos and try it out later.