PDA

View Full Version : Baseline for heart rate

r3ccOs
12-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Blood pressure, WIKI'd and I do understand a number of things

As of the last couple of months, I've trained harder with resistance training and more anerobic cardio exercises, such as indoor soccer and hockey

Previously, I was running 10K's and half marathons almost on routine

Previous blood pressure:
125/75 RHR (resting heart rate) 61

Now:
150/78 RHR 63

So... now I'm a bit confused and my doctor hasn't offered much reassurance
My systolic - maximum pressure is "huge" and my doctor is adament that its unhealthy...
However he can't justify the extremity as my disystolic pressure is so low indicating that my arteries/veins should technically be flexable and clear... Especially with a reasonably low heart rate as my body fat% is now down to 9.

I'm confused, so am I at risk of cardiovascular issues? Am I just jacked because of my heart strength?

GTS Jeff
12-11-2008, 12:55 PM
If your arteries are flexible, they should expand under systole to keep systolic pressure from being too high.

adam c
12-11-2008, 01:00 PM
are you taking supplements? pills? needles?

kails
12-11-2008, 01:38 PM
Any elevated BP reading regardless of systolic or diastolic number is reason for concern.

An elevated systolic pressure means your heart is pumping much harder than it needs to to move blood around. Are you dehydrated? An elevated systolic puts alot of pressure on your arteries and other organs such as your kidneys. So you doctor has reason for concern.

However it could be "white coat syndrome" . My systolic BP jumps up about 20 mmHg at the doctors vs when I take it when im working at the hospital on my own. Maybe go to one of those do it yourself BP units in many pharmacies when you are relaxed and see how that affects your BP.

kutt3r
12-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by kails

However it could be "white coat syndrome" . My systolic BP jumps up about 20 mmHg at the doctors vs when I take it when im working at the hospital on my own. Maybe go to one of those do it yourself BP units in many pharmacies when you are relaxed and see how that affects your BP.

I was just going to ask, 1 time or multiple readings?

I know my blood pressue would go up thinking the doc is gunna stick his finger where he shouldn't... (Just lightening the mood...)

I would not be concerned so much by one reading as opposed to multiple readings. Morning is best for this is it not? That way you have had no day stress to influence the results. I know resting HR should be calculated when you first get up...

Rat Fink
12-11-2008, 06:47 PM