PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any good Venison recipes?

Kona9
12-11-2008, 07:36 PM
My father just shot an Elk. 350lbs. He needed room in his freezer so he gave me about 20lbs of Deer meat. Ranging from Ground, to Sirloin Chops, Brattwurst, & Roasts.

I have just thawed out a small (roughly 2-2.5lb) roast and am debating what to do with it recipe wise. I hear if you wrap the roast in bacon it helps keep the moisture within the roast, as well as creates a bit of a flavouring. Being as lean as it is, I wouldn't mind taking some advice from anyone in the know on cooking times and temperatures for cooking a nice juicy roast. No knife needed.

Thanks!

Kritafo
12-11-2008, 08:27 PM
I am so jealous.

http://www.venison-meat.com/html/recipes.html

We get all our meat from Rocky Mountain Ranch and they have recipes on their site as well, haven't had a bad one.

I'll pull my recipe cards from them (some of them are used at The Ranche Restaurant) if I can put my hands on them I will post them.

Yes it's very lean meat compared to beef. You need, bacon or butter some other fat. Don't SALT it, don't over cook it. Use methods that marinade and use sauces.

Here is one that I recognize from the site that I have used.

You can get frozen saskatoons from the Saskatoon Berry Farm all year long. You don't have to use Juniper berries.

VENISON LOIN ROAST WITH SASKATOON BERRY SAUCE

2.5-pound (1.1-kg) venison loin, all silver skin removed

2 tablespoons (25 ml) olive or cold-pressed canola oil, divided

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 handful pine or spruce needles

12 juniper berries , lightly crushed

Sauce:

2 tablespoons (25 ml) butter

1 shallot, minced

4 black peppercorns, crushed

2 juniper berries

1 cup (250 ml) dry red wine

1 cup (250 ml) brown venison or beef stock

1/4 cup (50 ml) saskatoon berries, crushed or pureed

saskatoon liqueur or port(optional)

salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup (125 ml) whole saskatoon berries

Rub the venison loin with 1 tablespoon of the oil and season with salt and pepper. In an ovenproof saute pan or roasting pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil over medium high heat and sear the venison to brown on all sides.

Scatter the pine or spruce needles and juniper berries over the pan and place the meat on top. Put the pan into a preheated 400ºF oven and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the roast is cooked to medium rare. (Use an instant-read thermometer – the internal temperature should be 135-145ºF for rare to medium rare meat).

Remove the meat from the pan and set aide on a cutting board, covered loosely with foil, to rest for 15-20 minutes. This step is vital. The meat continues to cook while it rests and the roast will be juicier if it’s properly rested.

Meanwhile, make the sauce. Remove the spruce needles and juniper berries from the pan and discard. Add the butter to the pan and sauté the shallots, black peppercorns and juniper berries for 5 minutes until shallots are beginning to brown. Add the red wine and venison stock. Stir up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan and boil vigorously, until the liquid has been reduced to about 1/2 cup. Add the puréed saskatoon berries and cook a few minutes longer. Strain the sauce and set aside.

Just before serving, reheat the sauce and whisk in a tablespoon of cold butter. Season with salt and pepper, and a splash of liqueur or port, if using. Add the whole berries and heat through.

To serve, slice the loin into medallions and arrange on individual plates in a pool of sauce with wild rice and barley risotto. Serves 8.

WILD RICE AND BARLEY RISOTTO

This pilaf combines two prairie grains – the wild rice of Manitoba and the chewy pot barley grown in Alberta and Saskatchwan. Add some wild morels or chanterelles from B.C. for a true inter-provincial side dish to accompany almost any meal.

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons (25 ml) olive oil

2 cups (500 ml) sliced mushrooms (use fresh cultivated mushrooms or dried wild mushrooms that have been rehydrated in boiling water or wine)

1 cup (250 ml) wild rice

1 cup (250 ml) pot barley

1/2 cup (125 ml) white wine

3 1/2 cups (900 ml) beef or chicken stock

1/2 teaspoons salt 2 ml

2 tablespoons(25 ml) butter

1/4 cup (50 ml) cream

2 cups finely shredded Parmesan cheese (like Alberta’s Leoni Grana)

Combine the onion, garlic and oil in a saucepan and sauté over medium high heat until the onions are soft and beginning to turn golden. Stir in the mushrooms and cook until they begin to give up their liquid.

Add the rice and barley and stir well. Toast the grains for 2 minutes, then add the wine and cook until it’s absorbed. Stir in the stock, salt and water and bring to a boil.

Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 45 minutes or until wild rice is starting to split and barley is tender. Remove from heat and stir in the butter and cream. Return to a simmer then add the cheese and stir to combine. Serve immediately. Serves 8.

S4maniac
12-11-2008, 10:35 PM
wow ... great catch for your Pops.

i like to keep it simple ... mix the ground with a bit of ground pork (for the grease!) and make meatballs. Fry and serve with most anything you'd serve beef.

Yes, do wrap and insert bacon in any roast you do. Game is very lean. Great for the taste, smell and moisture.

I also personally like to marinate cubes for a night in bbq sauce, then a quick sear on a really hot bbq. No more than medium.

You can also sear the sausage on a hot frying pan and serve on crackers with various cheese.

Lucky you ..

Kona9
12-12-2008, 12:07 PM
Wow!!

Thanks Kritafo and S4maniac!

Great tips!

nonlinear
12-12-2008, 12:31 PM
i too am jealous as fuck. my dad is an outdoors-type guy so we would have venison around the house around deer season.

does anyone know where one could buy good venison in calgary (i'm not really a gun type LOL).

at any rate, my stepmom used to make venison chili. it was fucking awesome. i don't have a recipe, but i'm sure you could find a good recipe on epicurious.com or something. or even a chili con carne and just substitute venison for the beef.

EK 2.0
12-12-2008, 12:34 PM
Hey for this brown kid who has never tried the venison, but seems to think it's a good meat by all of your reactions...(I know I am sheltered....only Beef, Chicken, and Seafood for me)

Yeah where can I get a bit to bite on to taste it??..

or K. would you be willing to part with a taste after you have prepared some haha...

JfuckinC
12-12-2008, 12:35 PM
Throw it in the microwave with some ketchup.... :dunno:

nonlinear
12-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Hey for this brown kid who has never tried the venison, but seems to think it's a good meat by all of your reactions...(I know I am sheltered....only Beef, Chicken, and Seafood for me)

or K. would you be willing to part with a taste after you have prepared some haha...

oh man, you totally gotta try it. i haven't had it since i was a kid, but it has a distinct taste to it (but it's a GOOD distinctive). the other really attractive part of it is that venison is totally free range. they eat corn and crap and take years to grow, instead of being thrown in a feedlot and 'fattened up' on crap food for a couple of weeks.

in terms of quality, it's like comparing feedlot beef to free-range beef.

yea, i'd like to know where to get it, too. i think that exotic meat stand at crossroads farmer's market may have it, but if they do it's probably frozen. i'd like to find somewhere to get it fresh

nonlinear
12-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Kona9
Being as lean as it is, I wouldn't mind taking some advice from anyone in the know on cooking times and temperatures for cooking a nice juicy roast. No knife needed.

hrm, just read your 'goals' again, and I would definitely say to cook that shit in a slow cooker. start it in the morning and let it go on low for all day. do it as a pot roast, it'll be dope as fuck. it's gonna be a cold snowy weekend, would be perfect for a slow cooked venison pot roast!!!! your house will smell so good.

Kona9
12-12-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

Pm'd.

Originally posted by nonlinear
hrm, just read your 'goals' again, and I would definitely say to cook that shit in a slow cooker. start it in the morning and let it go on low for all day. do it as a pot roast, it'll be dope as fuck. it's gonna be a cold snowy weekend, would be perfect for a slow cooked venison pot roast!!!! your house will smell so good.

Just picked up some bacon tonight. Starts tomorrow morning!

Kritafo
12-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear
i too am jealous as fuck. my dad is an outdoors-type guy so we would have venison around the house around deer season.

does anyone know where one could buy good venison in calgary (i'm not really a gun type LOL).

at any rate, my stepmom used to make venison chili. it was fucking awesome. i don't have a recipe, but i'm sure you could find a good recipe on epicurious.com or something. or even a chili con carne and just substitute venison for the beef.

There are several sources for game meat in town. Rocky Mountain Ranch http://www.crmr.com/ranch/index.php you can order and pick up at some of their restaurants like Cilantro or The Ranche or directly at Rocky Mountain Ranche, just call them, Dr Terry Church is a wealth of information and going there you can see the animals as you drive up. You just drive up past the house and you will see a side door, just go in, he will be around somewhere. Elk Smokies are unbelievable. So is the Elk Pepper Salami. I am going to thaw some today.

Second to none Meats, they have 3 locations they sell Rocky Mountain Ranch

http://stnm.ca/products.php

http://www.venison-meat.com/html/suppliers.html

JRSC00LUDE
12-18-2008, 06:38 PM
I just made a deer roast in the slow cooker. I put water in till it came halfway up the side of the roast and then added soy sauce, garlic, worcestershire, red wine and steak spice.

Nice and tender and am reducing the au jus right now.:drool:

nonlinear
12-18-2008, 06:41 PM
where did you hook up the venison, dude?

JRSC00LUDE
12-18-2008, 06:51 PM
^

I live in sask. man, just leave your back door open and one will walk right into the kitchen. :D

But seriously, I have some friends that hunt so I usually get some every year. It's usually quite nice, shot in good grain-fed areas.