PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Olypmics Cdn National Anthem in Hindi?

v2kai
12-12-2008, 12:41 AM
2010 Vancouver Olympics National Anthem in Hindi anyone?

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=80c19784-c404-44ee-99c5-257499c33610

"Calls for the dismissal of Bruce Allen from a key position on the 2010 Olympics ceremonies committee continued yesterday following a storm of controversy over the concert promoter's radio comments -- comments some have labelled as racist.

"He is a person who will have important influence in the opening and closing ceremonies and, judging from his comments, I don't think he will reflect Canadian values," said MLA Harry Bains, the NDP Olympics critic, last night.

"His comments are very, very disappointing and have left a lot of people angry," added Bains.
In his regular Reality Check radio comment on CKNW Sept. 13, Allen stated "special interest groups" expect rules for themselves.

"There is the door. If you don't like the rules, hit it," said Allen. "We don't need you here. You have another place to go. It's called home. See ya."

Added Allen: "This is simple. We have laws in this country. They are spelled out and easy to get a hold of. If you're immigrating here and you don't like the rules in place, you have the right to choose not to live here. If you choose to come to Canada, shut up and fit in. We are a democracy, but it seems more and more that we are being pilloried by special interest groups that want special rules for themselves.""

I for one say FUCK THAT SHIT, good on Allen and if you do too sign the petition and pass it on. This is getting ridiculous!!! Bilingual country, FRENCH OR ENGLISH. I'm of mixed decent but first and foremost i'm a canadian and appreciate Canada for what it is.

http://www.petitiononline.com/Canada10/petition.html

Dave P
12-12-2008, 12:43 AM
I agree, English or French.

Nothing else

badatusrnames
12-12-2008, 12:53 AM
Maybe a little xenophobic, but I fail to see the racism. The statement is universal to any ethnic group:

This is simple. We have laws in this country. They are spelled out and easy to get a hold of. If you're immigrating here and you don't like the rules in place, you have the right to choose not to live here. If you choose to come to Canada, shut up and fit in. We are a democracy, but it seems more and more that we are being pilloried by special interest groups that want special rules for themselves.

I'm sure someone will declare it a violation of their human rights not to have the anthem sung in their mother tongue...

l/l/rX
12-12-2008, 12:53 AM
+1 on french or english...signed!

edit: where or who said that the anthem will be sung in hindi???

schocker
12-12-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Dave P
I agree, English or French.

Nothing else
:werd:
Also, why do the NDP have an olympics critic:rofl:

chkolny541
12-12-2008, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by schocker

Also, why do the NDP have an olympics critic:rofl:

its like a devils advocate :devil: :dunno:

adam c
12-12-2008, 01:08 AM
signed

JfuckinC
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by chkolny541

its like a devils advocate :devil: :dunno:

creeped i just watched that movie.

sweet avatar.

avishal26
12-12-2008, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by l/l/rX

edit: where or who said that the anthem will be sung in hindi???

...where does it say that...?

and what sparked his comments anyway?

adam c
12-12-2008, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by avishal26

...where does it say that...?

and what sparked his comments anyway?

the people immigrating here wanting special treatment is what sparked the comment, read

and this man speaks the truth

i vote him for PM

DNSRadio
12-12-2008, 01:20 AM
i dont know..
i skimmed the article and i didnt see anything like that

i guess the OP is just tryin to start another racial thread here.. lol

avishal26
12-12-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by adam c

the people immigrating here wanting special treatment is what sparked the comment, read

and this man speaks the truth

i vote him for PM

I don't see anything in the article that talks about people asking for special treatment.

In his regular Reality Check radio comment on CKNW Sept. 13, Allen stated "special interest groups" expect rules for themselves.

That is as close as the article got to 'people wanting special treatment'. I don't see why he said what he did, maybe if I see what he was reacting to directly, then I would understand. Otherwise, his comments are just plain stupid. I understand that it is impossible to change laws for every single group/minority that is in the country, and I wouldn't expect that either. In fact, I'm in favour of one law for everybody. I'm not even catholic and I'm kinda pissed off that saying Christmas holidays is politically incorrect.

HOWEVER, when someone says, and I quote: "If you choose to come to Canada, shut up and fit in.", it is just plain ignorant and down right idiotic. Local minorities are allowed to celebrate their holidays in public.. we have multi-cultural shows and events all the time, such as global fest. Canada is a multi-cultural country and when someone like Allen, who is representing us at the Olympic Ceremonies Committee nonetheless, says something like "shut up and fit in", he definitely should not be there. I don't want him to represent us at the committee if he's going to go against Canada's values.

There was a comment on the article page from somebody that read:

Muslims want to be able to smoke in public places and E.Indians do not want to wear helmets.

I am East Indian and I don't like being generalized into that group of not wanting to wear helmets..it just shows how ignorant the writer was. Its the Sikhs, granted who are primarily from India, that do not want to wear helmets. Personally I think its the one of the most incredibly dumb ideas I've ever heard of. I respect the fact that their religion requires them to cover their head, and a helmet does not fit on top of their turban, but if they choose religion over their own life, then I don't think anybody can help them. The law is not going to change to accomodate someone's stupidity.

The point I'm trying to make is that people should be allowed their religious and cultural freedom, but when they want special treatment, even I'm against that upto a certain extent. BUT there is no need to start an attack on any one group or tell anyone to go home if they don't like it. It's similar to when George Bush said 'You're either with us or against us". It is just plain retarded... and I think most of beyond would agree with me on that.

97'Scort
12-12-2008, 02:09 AM
^ You have to realize that in Canada, "shut up and fit in" means "we will give you religious and personal freedom, the right to vote, the right to own property, the right to universal health care, and the right to a fair trial by your fellow citizens. However, we'd appreciate it if you'd cram a sock in your pie hole instead of demanding that we recognize your religious law or give you money in such a way that doesn't benefit anybody else but you."

He just said it more directly.

From what I've heard out here, the opening/closing ceremonies are under fairly significant pressure: they have to try and put on a pretty spectacular show for a smaller budget than a lot of other nations have had. To top it off, there is pressure from different groups in Vancouver (Asians and East Indians being the LARGEST of the them) that are not so much requesting but demanding that they have a role in them

I'm willing to bet this guy is just sick of dealing with them and wasting his time.

v2kai
12-12-2008, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by DNSRadio
i dont know..
i skimmed the article and i didnt see anything like that

i guess the OP is just tryin to start another racial thread here.. lol

i AM trying to spark a thread. Not racial, just that this is a perfect example of what has been debated in other threads here on beyond. This is a current and national example in Canada. This thread is not a racist based thread, but as Allen's comments did I want it to show the absurdity behind minority groups' perception of what is their 'right' versus what is a 'privilege'. Living in this country is a privilege, the democratic system we live in, the individual freedoms and rights given to us by the government and society established here. However this country has it's own established rules, laws and systems AND national languages.

From a quick google i found other sources stating it was the Olympic Committee that suggested it, you can look for yourself and see what you come up with.

In my opinion singing the national anthem in Hindi is disrespectful to Canada, and all of it's citizens whether they were born here, or immigrated here; we all live by the norms and traditions established in this country that is already so accepting and hospitable. If you choose to live here and can't or don't want to live by system that was established here....you should really just piss off somewhere else. Or use the democratic systems in place to see if your demands (and i purposely say demands, because that's how they are presented, not as requests but statements) reflect the entirety of the canadian population.

v2kai
12-12-2008, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by avishal26

I don't see anything in the article that talks about people asking for special treatment.

taken from the site below:

"I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough. Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish
(Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, Icelandic, Spanish, Russian or any other language because of immigration. It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the Hindi version translation which was not even close to our National Anthem."

seems like special treatment to me, what's so special about Hindi!? what about the other languages spoken in this country.

http://jimmeyerpersonal.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D691D1A29A80923E!469.entry

avishal26
12-12-2008, 02:25 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
^ You have to realize that in Canada, "shut up and fit in" means "we will give you religious and personal freedom, the right to vote, the right to own property, the right to universal health care, and the right to a fair trial by your fellow citizens. However, we'd appreciate it if you'd cram a sock in your pie hole instead of demanding that we recognize your religious law or give you money in such a way that doesn't benefit anybody else but you."

He just said it more directly.

Really? That's definitely not what it sounds like. Maybe he should chose his words carefully, especially if he's on the Olympic Ceremonies Committee, representing Canada to the world.

Originally posted by 97'Scort

From what I've heard out here, the opening/closing ceremonies are under fairly significant pressure: they have to try and put on a pretty spectacular show for a smaller budget than a lot of other nations have had. To top it off, there is pressure from different groups in Vancouver (Asians and East Indians being the LARGEST of the them) that are not so much requesting but demanding that they have a role in them

I'm willing to bet this guy is just sick of dealing with them and wasting his time.

I would like to see proof of this. I'm sure there are groups pressuring the committee for a lot of stuff, but then I am not really surprised. There's always someone who isn't happy.

But if this Allen guy let's something like that result into the kind of stuff he said, then maybe he shouldn't be on the committee. There's a right way and a wrong way to handle things. His way, I'm sorry to say, is not the right way. He could've handled this a lot better. It's called maintaining your composure. I'm not necessarily disagreeing with him... I just don't think he should've said what he did.

And by the way, you should be more specific in talking about the roles the minority groups are 'demanding'. Is it really a shock that the population, including the minorities, of Vancouver, where the olympics are going to be held, want to play a part in an international event such as the olympics?

avishal26
12-12-2008, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by v2kai

"I am sorry, but after hearing they want to sing the National Anthem in Hindi - enough is enough. Nowhere or at no other time in our Nation's history, did they sing it in Italian, Japanese, Polish, Irish
(Celtic), German, Portuguese, Greek, Icelandic, Spanish, Russian or any other language because of immigration. It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the Hindi version translation which was not even close to our National Anthem."

seems like special treatment to me, what's so special about Hindi!? what about the other languages spoken in this country.

WOW, I did not know they wanted to sing the National Anthem in hindi.. it is actually Outrageous. :banghead:

But all Allen had to do was to say what was said in the blog above, rather than taking the dramatic tone that he did.

mx73someday
12-12-2008, 03:56 AM

In my opinion singing the national anthem in Hindi is disrespectful to Canada, and all of it's citizens whether they were born here, or immigrated here; we all live by the norms and traditions established in this country that is already so accepting and hospitable. If you choose to live here and can't or don't want to live by system that was established here....you should really just piss off somewhere else.

Why is it disrespectful to sing the national anthem in Hindi?

How does singing a song at a private event (the Olympics) threaten your lifestyle?

From the sounds of it, this decision went through the Vancouver Olympics Committee, so I don't understand how you can complain that immigrants aren't living according to the system in place. Did they somehow cheat or trick the committee? Unless I'm mistaken this has nothing to do with government, the Olympics are privately run aren't they?

Why is the national anthem so sacred to you?

broken_legs
12-12-2008, 05:18 AM
Originally posted by mx73someday

I don't know about the OP but I'll answer for them:

Because I'm a born and raised, proud and patriotic Canadian!

Are you patriotic? Passionate about anything? Do you have an identity, a culture, a way of life, a religion?

Seriously thoughtless comment.

Dave P
12-12-2008, 07:42 AM

I dont know, a little thing called national pride?

No your right, it means nothing. pfffft we better sing it in German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese, Japanese, and every other language to. Wouldnt want to offend anyone.

Gainsbarre
12-12-2008, 09:29 AM
2010 Vancouver Olympics National Anthem in Hindi anyone?

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=80c19784-c404-44ee-99c5-257499c33610

i AM trying to spark a thread. Not racial, just that this is a perfect example of what has been debated in other threads here on beyond. This is a current and national example in Canada.

Not really, the article is over 14 months old.

That is somebody's blog, not a reputable news source (and it's also over a year old). Have you read his other hateful posts? I've just browsed through some of his posts and he sounds like rabidly xenophobic Christian fundamentalist -- if not worse. You were probably the first person to visit his blog in months.

Canmorite
12-12-2008, 09:51 AM
Article is a bit old. I like how direct he is though :thumbsup:

3g4u
12-12-2008, 10:03 AM

:facepalm: Maby because it's allmost the only thing Canada has left that hasnt been fucked with by pushy minorities YET!

This is a dual language country. Speak one or the other, or leave. Simple as that.

mx73someday
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
I guess people don't think that the Olympics are a private event, that it somehow belongs to every person in the country. The Olympics Committee wasn't trying to advocate that the national anthem be sung in Hindi at every event or school in Canada, just their event.

Originally posted by broken_legs

Are you patriotic? Passionate about anything? Do you have an identity, a culture, a way of life, a religion?

Seriously thoughtless comment.

I don't want to turn this into an argument about government, but no I don't care about the national anthem, it means nothing to me. I'm passionate about having voluntaristic relationships with people, not coercive ones. This is why I'm not patriotic.

v2kai
12-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Gainsbarre

Not really, the article is over 14 months old.
14 months old is not that old, and it's aldo concerning an upcoming world event we're hosting in 2010. seems current to me

That is somebody's blog, not a reputable news source (and it's also over a year old). Have you read his other hateful posts? I've just browsed through some of his posts and he sounds like rabidly xenophobic Christian fundamentalist -- if not worse. You were probably the first person to visit his blog in months.

i realised it is a blog post when he posted it, however his argument is valid. despite his other shit words this is true, since when have we sung it in all of the other languages presently spoken in our country. we dont sing it in other languages so what makes this so special??? just because much of what he says is fucked up doesnt make his comment about the language issue any less valid. he was right on that subject.

to mx73someday:

okay, so the olympic committee mde the motion to do so, and if their decision truly represented the desires of the canadian population then i dont think you'd have such a heated response. i'm sorry but the anthem is something sacred to me. i sing it proudly and stand for it in respect for my country and everything and everyone who sacrificed and strived to make this country the way it is today so we could all enjoy it. I'm not a patriotic nut, but i am proud to be a canadian.

okay so just at their 'private' event...which represents CANADA as a whole country when the world decides to take part. it's not the olympic committee's team entering, it's the Canadian team.

Canmorite
12-12-2008, 12:08 PM

No I don't care about the national anthem, it means nothing to me.

Sorry, but :thumbsdow

BananaFob
12-12-2008, 12:16 PM

It was written in English, adapted into French, and should be sung word for word the way it was written. The news broadcasts even gave the Hindi version translation which was not even close to our National Anthem."

Actually, it's the other way around. It was written in French first.

01RedDX
12-12-2008, 12:30 PM

adam c
12-12-2008, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Sorry, but :thumbsdow

unable to detect sarcasm today?

Gainsbarre
12-12-2008, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob

Actually, it's the other way around. It was written in French first.

Correct. And just to add, the English translation of the song has lyrics that are totally different from the French version (i.e. not a literal translation) -- so the blogger clearly has no idea what he speaks of when he says "and should be sung word for word the way it was written". :nut:

i realised it is a blog post when he posted it, however his argument is valid. despite his other shit words this is true, since when have we sung it in all of the other languages presently spoken in our country. we dont sing it in other languages so what makes this so special??? just because much of what he says is fucked up doesnt make his comment about the language issue any less valid. he was right on that subject.

When I discredited his blog, I was saying that I do not believe what he says is true -- is there actually a reputable source out there for this claim that “special interest groups” are looking to sing our national anthem in Hindi at the 2010 Olympics? To me it seems as if he wants to create hostility among Canadians towards people who are likely immigrants (i.e. people who do not speak French or English as their mother tongue) in order to further his xenophobic and spiteful agenda -- and that seems to be the motivation behind the vast majority of his cut-and-paste blog posts.

CausalInfluence
12-12-2008, 12:42 PM
I am EI. This is a hideous idea. This would open the flood gates to every denomination and creed to "translate" it. Besides its kind of wack that its hindi... it should be madarin or viet. So many more asians then us here... bc is the only place with a huge concentration of indians, except for toronto... everywhere else asians are in greater numbers.

Silly idea, rebutted by a silly man. You need to watch your mouth... he didnt. Could have expressed that sentiment without getting fired. Kids, its all in the delivery.

em2ab
12-12-2008, 01:18 PM
Argument for:
The official languages were chosen over 100 years ago (I assume) when there were far less people immigrating and it was much harder to commute large distances. Now that the percentages of foreigners have changed, outdated decisions should be changed as well.

Argument against:
We are bilingual, it is a fact, put up or shut up. If you don't like it, leave.

I can see both sides of the argument, obviously, but I'm going to choose to side with against. Like it or get out.

atgilchrist
12-12-2008, 01:26 PM

Why is it disrespectful to sing the national anthem in Hindi?

How does singing a song at a private event (the Olympics) threaten your lifestyle?

From the sounds of it, this decision went through the Vancouver Olympics Committee, so I don't understand how you can complain that immigrants aren't living according to the system in place. Did they somehow cheat or trick the committee? Unless I'm mistaken this has nothing to do with government, the Olympics are privately run aren't they?

The massive amounts of gov't funding required to host the Olympics make it a public issue.

2002civic
12-12-2008, 03:59 PM
signed

avishal26
12-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CausalInfluence

Silly idea, rebutted by a silly man. You need to watch your mouth... he didnt. Could have expressed that sentiment without getting fired. Kids, its all in the delivery.

Thats kinda what I said... all he had to do was address it properly ... but he didn't. And I guess now he's been fired? not surprised at all.

Maybe the native Indians should've told the English and French when they came here that they should "Shut up and fit in"...... really really bad choice of words.

finboy
12-12-2008, 04:19 PM
OES NOES, PEOPLE BE HATING ON A SACRED SONG!!!1!!!!1!!11

personally i think it needs a re-write to get rid of that silly god bit :dunno:

Gainsbarre
01-26-2009, 09:44 AM
Looks like Snopes has put the final nail in the coffin of this xenophobic rumour:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/immigration/canadaanthem.asp

No Plans are ever afoot to render Oh Canada in Hindi at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics

nismodrifter
01-26-2009, 09:53 AM
^Thank you for clearing that up.

This whole thread = wtf.

jazzyb
01-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Eventhough the news is complete bs, and I agree that our National Anthem should be sung in only English or French, most of the posters here, only show national pride when it involves immigrants.

Its pretty pathetic, and this comming from a Canadian-Punjabi.

Can't stand part-timers.

A790
01-26-2009, 10:14 AM
National pride is an important thing and I feel bad for people that express antipathy towards a country that offers them so much. A simple gesture, such as singing the national anthem when it is played, is a strong indication of your desire to live in a country that is prosperous, free, and democratic. Sometimes it's little gestures like that which remind us that we are truly lucky to be where we are.

It's unfortunate that some have no sense of patriotism. Perhaps one day something will happen that will remind those who are not patriotic what a country like this means for many people, immigrants and people born here alike.

Gainsbarre
01-26-2009, 10:37 AM
This is what irks me the most about these kinds of fabricated news stories. Paint non-native English or French speakers (who are most likely immigrants) as being somehow less patriotic than the rest of us by getting people riled up against them through bullshit like this.

As for the language that Oh Canada was to be translated into, the author could have just as easily chosen Italian, German or Ukrainian (other languages spoken as widely as Hindi in Canada) but of course, they've chosen Hindi (or Arabic, or Urdu...). If this was the 1920’s the author probably would have chosen Chinese. According to the Snopes article, the original (likely American) author chose Spanish as the language that he or she wanted others to believe that the Star Spangled Banner was to be translated into – see the trend here?

R154
01-26-2009, 11:17 AM
I am EI. This is a hideous idea. This would open the flood gates to every denomination and creed to "translate" it. Besides its kind of wack that its hindi... it should be madarin or viet. So many more asians then us here... bc is the only place with a huge concentration of indians, except for toronto... everywhere else asians are in greater numbers.

qft

Antonito
01-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Man, we can't even get our own original racist content, lazy fucking Canadian bigots.

:rofl:

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 12:10 PM
If you want to sing the anthem in Klingon I wouldn't give a shit :dunno:

Sing the anthem in whatever language you want to, you're still being patriotic. I'd much rather hear the anthem in Cantonese than FOB English :D

nismodrifter
01-26-2009, 12:19 PM
This is what irks me the most about these kinds of fabricated news stories. Paint non-native English or French speakers (who are most likely immigrants) as being somehow less patriotic than the rest of us by getting people riled up against them through bullshit like this.

Originally posted by Antonito
Man, we can't even get our own original racist content, lazy fucking Canadian bigots.

:rofl:

That's what pissed me off about this stupid ass thread. Let's attack and single out a group based on false BS. Seriously, look at the third reply in this thread and you will see that someone was already questioning the validity of the OP's bullshit thread title/arguement yet people STILL got all heated up.

Oh and.....LOL at all those who signed that "petition" with hopes of stopping this FOB revolution (the petition sure sounds like it was written by someone intelligent....btw can anyone tell me what kind of person "Hindi's" are???). Yeah because your online signature really matters. :facepalm:

turbotrip
01-26-2009, 12:26 PM
"muslims want to smoke in public places"

wtf? i think the author be hittin them rocks

mazdavirgin
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by finboy
OES NOES, PEOPLE BE HATING ON A SACRED SONG!!!1!!!!1!!11

personally i think it needs a re-write to get rid of that silly god bit :dunno:

You can move out of the country if you like. The nation was built by Christians that is why there is a reference to God. It is historical just like the oath of allegiance where you swear loyalty to the Queen. I don't care if you do not agree with our history/culture but asking us to change our heritage because you don't agree with our ancestors is inane. The anthem goes back to the 1800's and we should change it now because of some intolerant atheists? Guess what you live in a Judeo-Christian Country.

:facepalm:

Eleanor
01-26-2009, 01:44 PM
^
http://www.crwflags.com/fotw/images/f/fic-spk1.gif

CUG
01-26-2009, 01:47 PM
If you don't want things like this to be an issue, move to the states. Time have changed, even though I disagree with the very concept that this could ever be an issue. :facepalm:

EvolutionI
01-26-2009, 09:34 PM
If anyone actually wanted this, they are retarded.

If Parliament added a third language, doesn't matter what it would be, would be the day I would pack up and leave.

Silly peoples...

Oldskool
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by R154

qft

I see you like to agree with yourself.