PDA

View Full Version : student drivers in rush hour

yue
12-12-2008, 04:34 AM
what the hell is wrong with these instructors?

i cannot comprehend the lack of logic in taking a student driver (who obviously doesn't know how to drive) and place them into the busiest hours of the road. i understand that you have to accommodate your customer's schedule but this is just ridiculous!

i almost slammed into a car because the student decided to make a right turn when i was 10ft from the intersection going 65km.

anyone else agree?

**edit to clarify the situation**
i was on 36st northbound, had the green light approaching intersection. student driver pulled up to intersection with intention of turning right onto 36st northbound. basically student driver cut me off while doing a right turn.

vengie
12-12-2008, 04:38 AM
sounds to me like the student driver was doing fine... maybe you should be more cognizant of the road ahead of you. chances are the student driver had that signal light on for a very long time.

yue
12-12-2008, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by vengie
sounds to me like the student driver was doing fine... maybe you should be more cognizant of the road ahead of you. chances are the student driver had that signal light on for a very long time.
1) the student driver just approached the intersection
2) i have the right of way, it was a green light.

buh_buh
12-12-2008, 05:03 AM
shouldn't the instructor have slammed on the brakes if they were doing something dangerous?

harv91
12-12-2008, 06:25 AM
im not sure about OP's exact circumstance
but i agree with the face that there should be no student drivers on the road during rush hour. It must be hard to schedule people around rush hour times, but sometimes (especially in winter) they can be hazardous

yue
12-12-2008, 07:06 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
shouldn't the instructor have slammed on the brakes if they were doing something dangerous?
instructor wasn't paying attention or couldn't see. basically imagine someone making a right turn and cutting you off.

G-RS4
12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Has anyone given any thought to it might actually be a good idea that the student driver gets a chance to drive in rush hour with an instructor? Is it better that the driver gets their license and then has to drive in rush hour by themselves for the first time?

Mixalot27
12-12-2008, 08:32 AM
I wonder how often these student driver cars are involved in accidents? I've never personally seen it happen but I'm sure it must occasionally.

vengie
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by yue

1) the student driver just approached the intersection
2) i have the right of way, it was a green light.

well i definatley misunderstood the situation.
the way I understood it was he was traveling in front of you and turned right.

so to understand correctly he was at a light and turned out in front of you?

urban.one
12-12-2008, 08:36 AM
No kidding.

Its probably not a good idea for a first lesson to be in rush hour traffic. Its another story if its later in the course and nearing the time the student is going to be taking their test. Of course they should get out in rush hour traffic with an instructor rather than be on their own for the first time once they get their license.

Or do you want GDL to include limits that you cant drive in during rushhour for the first two years of being newly licensed?

Originally posted by G-RS4
Has anyone given any thought to it might actually be a good idea that the student driver gets a chance to drive in rush hour with an instructor? Is it better that the driver gets their license and then has to drive in rush hour by themselves for the first time?

msommers
12-12-2008, 08:51 AM
When I was taking driver's ed through AMA, the second day we went downtown. Let me tell you, that was the biggest learning curve of my life and honestly, I am a better driver because of it. My instructor was actually the instructor for the instructors because uh....hahaha the guy I had before got fired for sexual harassment against a girl driver after our first lesson:eek:

Kona9
12-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Maybe....quit your bitchin' and drive defensively!? :dunno: If people like you could be more aware of any up and coming situation (especially in rush hour) things would be fine.

May I ask which intersection you were able to do 65 km/hr through, in winter road conditions, where the person making a right turn didn't have a yield or merge lane? When approaching an intersection with either one, you should have the ability to get in the left lane in order to create room for people to maintain flow while making their right turns.

Either that or you were speeding, therefore you would have been the issue, not the student driver.

I got my license in Victoria during rush hour, and I am glad the extra pressure was put on me. No accidents on my record for the full 15 years I have been driving.

FreakinPrince
12-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by G-RS4

i totally agree with this statement... everything a student drvier is taken to, rush hour/downtown/residental area/playground zone/deerfoot are all learning situation.... this is the only way they can test the student its temper/anixety whenever in situation .... this is all about learning

however i believe the course should be longer and take those bloody ass stupid no good driver off the road who are just causing too much trouble and don't know how to actually drive!!!

rc2002
12-12-2008, 09:40 AM
Was it a female driver? Everytime someone pulls out like that, it's usually a female because their depth perception isn't as good (not being sexist - it's scientifically proven). I've learned to be extra careful in the right lane because I've had many close calls before.

msommers
12-12-2008, 10:37 AM
Just some food for thought, be glad people are still taking driver's ed...God knows they'll get their license regardless.

Eleanor
12-12-2008, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
Was it a female driver? Everytime someone pulls out like that, it's usually a female because their depth perception isn't as good (not being sexist - it's scientifically proven).
That's also why they can't park.

And yeah, I'm glad to see student drivers in rush hour, they need that kind of exposure.

Toms-SC
12-12-2008, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by vengie

This

ralliart_girl
12-12-2008, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by yue
i almost slammed into a car because the student decided to make a right turn when i was 10ft from the intersection going 65km.

anyone else agree?

I have had many non-student drivers pull out in front me like this.

Meridian
12-12-2008, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by yue
what the hell is wrong with these instructors?

i cannot comprehend the lack of logic in taking a student driver (who obviously doesn't know how to drive) and place them into the busiest hours of the road. i understand that you have to accommodate your customer's schedule but this is just ridiculous!

anyone else agree?

awww slow down:banghead:

kenny
12-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Its great to see driving instructors taking students out during rush hour, now all we need is for them to teach them how to merge during higher traffic volumes.

Too bad the instructor doesn't have a gas pedal too :rofl:

yue
12-12-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Kona9
Maybe....quit your bitchin' and drive defensively!? :dunno: If people like you could be more aware of any up and coming situation (especially in rush hour) things would be fine.

May I ask which intersection you were able to do 65 km/hr through, in winter road conditions, where the person making a right turn didn't have a yield or merge lane? When approaching an intersection with either one, you should have the ability to get in the left lane in order to create room for people to maintain flow while making their right turns.

Either that or you were speeding, therefore you would have been the issue, not the student driver.

I got my license in Victoria during rush hour, and I am glad the extra pressure was put on me. No accidents on my record for the full 15 years I have been driving.
i am aware when i am driving. however, i also have expectations of drivers.

i was on 36st northbound, forgot what the street intersecting it was.

doing 65km in a 60km max zone. yes this is winter but the roads were perfectly clear of ice and snow. just wet. don't act all high and mighty, you speed, i speed, everyone does from time to time. i did...a whopping 5km

Stealth22
12-12-2008, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by kenny
Too bad the instructor doesn't have a gas pedal too :rofl:

Best post of the thread! :clap: :rofl:

To the OP: :facepalm:

I'm not sure how much distance you had, but the instructor would have hit the brake if the student was doing something wrong. Part of Driver's Ed is learning to scan intersections and the road ahead of you.

If there had been an accident, I'm not convinced that the student driver (although I've seen non-student drivers do this!) would be completely at fault. If you had been checking out that intersection, you would have seen the student driver car (or at least registered the fact that there was a car there, student or non-student) and been prepared for the possibility that he would come out in front of you.

Seriously, man..its Calgary. Everybody makes that kind of turn suddenly, we're all used to it. I assume that every driver who's making a turn (right or left) in front of me is a complete moron and might just come out in front of me. And sometimes they do! :rofl: (That goes for people making unsafe lane changes too...nearly everytime I think 'this guy is going to come in here ahead of me', he does)

badatusrnames
12-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Stealth22

Seriously, man..its Calgary. Everybody makes that kind of turn suddenly, we're all used to it. I assume that every driver who's making a turn (right or left) in front of me is a complete moron and might just come out in front of me. And sometimes they do! :rofl: (That goes for people making unsafe lane changes too...nearly everytime I think 'this guy is going to come in here ahead of me', he does)

Yeah that's what I do, treat every driver on the road as an incompetent idiot or little old Asian lady driving a Camry. Any intersection like that where there are cars waiting to go left or right (or both) and I have the right of way, my foot is covering the brake.

It makes no sense to speed through busy intersections. Having satisfaction that you had the right of way is little consolation when your front end is smashed.

Not related, but if I can help it, I make sure that I'm never beside a vehicle when there are multiple lanes. Nothing bothers me more (except for tailgaters) than people who ride right beside me in my blind sport when it's not necessary. What if I need to make a lane change to avoid something on the road, or what if I plain don't see you when I make a lane change?

shin0bi
12-12-2008, 11:58 AM
I saw a student driver smoke a bus in crowfoot once. The car was totalled.

On a sunday morning!

Sometimes you just can't win with student drivers. Hell, when I was learning how to drive, I'm sure I almost got myself killed a dozen times.

Kona9
12-12-2008, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by yue

i am aware when i am driving. however, i also have expectations of drivers.

i was on 36st northbound, forgot what the street intersecting it was.

doing 65km in a 60km max zone. yes this is winter but the roads were perfectly clear of ice and snow. just wet. don't act all high and mighty, you speed, i speed, everyone does from time to time. i did...a whopping 5km

Actually, I am far from high & mighty there Tonto.

If you had of been involved in a collision, the police wouldn't give two shits about your perception of road conditions. The temperature alone affects the road conditions and what your vehicle can and can't do. Dry, clear, wet or not.

Obviously you weren't as aware as your super powers made you believe, as you almost crashed.

The best part was bringing your stank vag to Beyond to whine about something that IMHO is a smart idea on the part of driving instructors. It is much easier to learn while doing, rather than imagining. Imagination won't teach you shit about how to appropriately operate a vehicle.

Thanks though!

Perhaps now your super crazy, student driver turning right situation, will keep you more aware of people turning right. While speeding of course.

clem24
12-12-2008, 12:12 PM
To OP: What's the rush?? Judging by most of the replies, most posters are against you, and rightfully so.

Taking a student driver out during rush hour is probably the best experience they can ever have. Someone already pointed it out: drive defensively. If you really wanted to give the student driver a lesson, give them a nice big honk on the horn.

BTW you failed to realize that this could've happened whether it was rush hour or not (as in getting cut off). So chill out man.

XylathaneGTR
12-12-2008, 01:17 PM
When I took Drivers Ed....My instructor took me out in rush hour-ish traffic a few tmes...

Driving in those conditions is a lot different than driving through a community on side streets at 4pm on a sunday afternoon...Good to learn with someone who's experienced (and has a brake pedal) and know how to handle those situations rather than just venture out on my own and get overwhelmed.

rockanrepublic
12-12-2008, 05:24 PM
im always stuck behind student drivers on crowchild :confused:
last time i checked they should be in communitys:banghead:

cyrusli
12-12-2008, 05:52 PM
get them exposed to rush hour.. better have them somewhat experienced than freak out when they face their first rush hour after they get their licence

adam c
12-12-2008, 05:58 PM
not all cars have an extra brake pedal, when i took drivers ed the cars i used definitely didn't have them

luxor
12-12-2008, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Kona9

Obviously you weren't as aware as your super powers made you believe, as you almost crashed.

The best part was bringing your stank vag to Beyond to whine about something that IMHO is a smart idea on the part of driving instructors. It is much easier to learn while doing, rather than imagining. Imagination won't teach you shit about how to appropriately operate a vehicle.

Thanks though!

Perhaps now your super crazy, student driver turning right situation, will keep you more aware of people turning right. While speeding of course.

:werd:

OP: Quit your bitching and move on, this happens everyday. Yes, it's annoying but this had nothing to do with the student driver. You were once a student drive too, don't forget that. And I don't see anything wrong with him or her driving during rush hour either.

jwslam
12-12-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by adam c
not all cars have an extra brake pedal, when i took drivers ed the cars i used definitely didn't have them
wtf company did YOU do it with?

adam c
12-12-2008, 06:27 PM
A Driving School. this was back in 2000 though

Scope951
12-12-2008, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by yue

instructor wasn't paying attention or couldn't see. basically imagine someone making a right turn and cutting you off.

Im having troubles believing this statement....

For anyone who knows what it is like to be in the car with a new driver, your doing every single shoulder check with them. So to say a TRAINED instructor failed to shoulder check with the student driver on a right hand turn like that is just far fetched.

:dunno:

Kona9
12-12-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
im always stuck behind student drivers on crowchild :confused:
last time i checked they should be in communitys:banghead:

communitys hey?

Big assumption here, but judging by your username and your excellent attempt at spelling "communities", it would lead me to believe you have only had a license for a maximum of a couple years. All the experience in the world is at your finger and toe tips hey?

Crowchild is a wide road. Why not move around the Student Driver? An experienced driver would be able to assess a situation as it approaches and relieve themselves of that situation with a small amount of planning. It seems your problem is being in too much of a rush.

Why can't people in this city look ahead and give/create room for others. It makes the whole "driving" part so much smoother and timely. So many drivers in this city are selfish! I know it is hard to convey to all around you that YOU need to be somewhere. Stupid Student Drivers attempting to learn how to effectively operate a vehicle safely. When will they learn hey? :dunno:

5fivespeed
12-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by yue

i was 10ft from the intersection going 65km.

anyone else agree?

If you're doing 65, you're speeding. Speeder :P