PDA

View Full Version : Mucho Burrito

Karim316
12-12-2008, 08:09 PM
They have just opened a new Mucho Burrito in Beacon Hill, where the NW Costco is.

Is this the only one in Calgary?

Anyone eaten there before? It's sooooo good. Better than Taco Time and Taco Bell IMO. Atleast its somewhat more authentic then those places. Plus they have spicy salsa!

pepschnops
12-12-2008, 08:20 PM
It's decent. The one here however is hella expensive something like $8.50 for a quesadilla and $10 for a large beef/chicken burrito so I have a hard time justifying buying it when im looking for a quick cheap meal. This is at UWO in London though so it could be completely different in cgy.

Godfuader
02-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Just had this couple days back. Its almost like the Chipotle chain in the US. Had the mucho burrito with Hot Salsa and Jalepenos. I think my ears were sweating about 2/3 into it. The guy walked by asking how everything was, and for absolutely no reason, in Spanish I yelled: ''ES MUY PICANTE'' :rofl:

BigMass
02-07-2009, 12:27 PM
one of the most overprices places i have ever eaten. They need to slash their prices about %60 before i go back. Not to mention shit like salsa/guacamole/sour cream should be STANDARD on a fucking burrito. Not options that jack up the price %100

Calgary Mexican food is a fucking joke. Coming back from Cali where my wife lived i could get a better burrito on a street corner from Paco for $2

nonlinear
02-07-2009, 01:19 PM

nonlinear
02-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
Calgary Mexican food is a fucking joke. Coming back from Cali where my wife lived i could get a better burrito on a street corner from Paco for $2

have you tried Mi Tierra? by far the best and most authentic mexican in the city. the prices are high relative to what you would pay in the states (e.g. $10.50 for a plate of taco filling and 5 tortillas hahaha), however i've been flamed too much on this site and chowhound to complain about it anymore hahaha.

bulaian
02-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by pepschnops
It's decent. The one here however is hella expensive something like $8.50 for a quesadilla and $10 for a large beef/chicken burrito so I have a hard time justifying buying it when im looking for a quick cheap meal. This is at UWO in London though so it could be completely different in cgy.

wow those are high prices, i think i'll just stick with my $2 hot dog and drink from costco :D

Godfuader
02-07-2009, 02:20 PM
Obviously you won’t find authentic Mexican in the middle of the Canadian Prairies. I love Miami for the tons of MexiCuban food available for dirt cheap…but would not expect that in Calgary. From a franchise pre-cooked stance it was decent at best. This would equate to Taco Del Mar…nothing authentic, but a welcome change from burgers and fries. It was just a refreshing feeling ordering in Spanish (Yes, the line preps were Mexican)

Godfuader
02-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

anyhow.. have you tried Mi Tierra? by far the best and most authentic mexican in the city. the prices are high relative to what you would pay in the states (e.g. $10.50 for a plate of taco filling and 5 tortillas hahaha), however i've been flamed too much on this site and chowhound to complain about it anymore hahaha.
There is another thread about Mi Tierra on beyond...wanted to try it out.

bigboom
02-07-2009, 02:32 PM
i personally love mucho burrito. its so much better then that taco bell and taco time crap but i will agree for fast food its not particularly cheap however if you get the medium burrito its usually enough to fill me u without needing any sides.

clem24
02-08-2009, 02:31 AM
Had it yesterday. It's alright. I wouldn't call it to die for. I ordered the steak burrito and my wife got the pork. I also went for the hottest sauce/salsa and even topped it with Jalapenos. BEWARE. It's actually quite spicy/hot. I had burning asshole all night. This is probably the first time that hot sauce actually lived up to it's promise.

As for the burrito itself, it's quite large and very stuffed. My wife enjoyed hers. Much better than the shit from Taco Bell (though nothing beats Fries Supreme hahaha). They also use a lot of onions that unfortunately you cannot opt out of. At least the steak was not chewy, so that was a plus. And the taste.. Well it was decent. Obviously nothing like what you get in the US, but it was very fresh tasting. It cost just over $20 for 2 burritos and a bottle of juice. I'd probably go back, but it's not something that I crave.

Dj_Stylz
02-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Pretty good place. Had it a few weeks ago. IMO it's better then Taco Del Mar. And yes they tell you it's hot and its burning hot! haha

Nissanaddict
02-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Just tried it today:
Very similar to Taco Del Mar. Seems to be a kinda "subway of Mexican food". A bit of customizability, and definitely better quality than the McDonalds of tacos (Taco Bell/Taco Time)

It's a Canadian chain, and comparing it to Taco Del Mar...I wouldn't say it's any better or worse. It's different, and the stuff IS spicy. I also did the hottest salsa+jalapenos. It's also huge if you get the mucho. The rest of it is currently in my fridge.

So not authentic Mexican (Mi Tierra remains the only place in town that I know is) but it's good to have tex-mex type place, with a San Francisco style Burrito (read: massive burrito) other than Taco Del Mar. Unfortunately, Del Mar is a 5 minute drive, and Mucho is more like 15-20 for me. Looking at their website, they do have 2 franchises for sale, so there may end up being one closer to us South people soon.

szw
02-14-2009, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear

just looked at their site, and i was gonna say that yea, it looks a lot like chipotle (a subsidiary of McDonalds haha).

Not really true. Chipotle started on their own then McDonalds became a majority share of Chipotle. McDonalds no longer has interest in Chipotle.

Chipotle opened last year in Toronto. It is expensive but pretty good.

nonlinear
02-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Nissanaddict
So not authentic Mexican (Mi Tierra remains the only place in town that I know is)

salt & pepper is also pretty authentic, but it's really overpriced and the quality varies among the stores. bowness is the best one.

Kritafo
02-14-2009, 09:19 PM
OMG I love the stuffed Poblano Peppers from Salt and Pepper. My husband will not eat there ever again though, last time we went he got a huge piece of plastic in his food.

pyroza
02-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by BigMass
one of the most overprices places i have ever eaten. They need to slash their prices about %60 before i go back. Not to mention shit like salsa/guacamole/sour cream should be STANDARD on a fucking burrito. Not options that jack up the price %100

Hell yeah. One of the things I'll miss most if I move is the awesome Mexican food

kaput
02-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Kritafo
02-15-2009, 11:03 AM
agree, Calgary has no real good street food, and most places jack the prices up. I would just about give my right leg for a good fish taco. Plus like you mentioned if you didn't want sour cream you have to ask because it's just standard, not the 90 cents extra crap