PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Camp job?

stefanmccormack
12-12-2008, 10:47 PM
Hello everyone,

My name is Stefan McCormack and I'm a 20 year old from Prince Edward Island looking for a job in Alberta which includes accomadations. I've previously worked for seismic companies but wish to venture in a different area this time. I have years of cooking experiance and would love to find a camp cook or kitchen helper type job. I recieved a job from Aramark services and am currently looking for other options before I make my final decision. The only thing that deters me from Aramark is that the camps have no internet, cell phone service or cable. I'm going out to work 70 hours a week regardless but I would like the comfort of knowing if I need to get ahold of someone for any reason I can.
I am intelligent (one year left on degree) hard working and diligent. I would love to find a job in cooking area or if possible; microbiology lab work as that is the degree I will be completing and I have tons of lab experiance.
If anyone can give me any idea of a good way to go I would appreciate it. Thanks alot. Cheers.

broken_legs
12-12-2008, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by stefanmccormack
Hello everyone,

My name is Stefan McCormack and I'm a 20 year old from Prince Edward Island looking for a job in Alberta which includes accomadations. I've previously worked for seismic companies but wish to venture in a different area this time. I have years of cooking experiance and would love to find a camp cook or kitchen helper type job. I recieved a job from Aramark services and am currently looking for other options before I make my final decision. The only thing that deters me from Aramark is that the camps have no internet, cell phone service or cable. I'm going out to work 70 hours a week regardless but I would like the comfort of knowing if I need to get ahold of someone for any reason I can.
I am intelligent (one year left on degree) hard working and diligent. I would love to find a job in cooking area or if possible; microbiology lab work as that is the degree I will be completing and I have tons of lab experiance.
If anyone can give me any idea of a good way to go I would appreciate it. Thanks alot. Cheers.

You actually want to work in a camp? 1st Cook? 2nd Cook? Campy?

:confused:

stefanmccormack
12-12-2008, 11:56 PM
Looking for a 2nd cook or helper at first and looking to work my way up. That's just a suggestion but I'm looking for any type of work that provides accomadations and pays well.

broken_legs
12-13-2008, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by stefanmccormack
Looking for a 2nd cook or helper at first and looking to work my way up. That's just a suggestion but I'm looking for any type of work that provides accomadations and pays well.

Pretty sure you could get a far better paying job that provides accommodations.

Go Rigging
Go MWD
Go be a Medic
Go be an H2S Hand

Pretty sure that working camp is one of the lowest paying jobs there is...

Unless you are the campy that sells cocaine

Unless you are 1st cook and order only use 1/2 the budget and feed the boys slop and make a deal with the camp company to pocket the rest

chathamf
12-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Pretty sure that it's not the easiest to get a rigging/mwd position these days. Camp work might be the easiest to come across..

redblack
12-13-2008, 01:02 AM
have a look here. http://www.ptigroup.com/careers.php
most of the camps ive been in use PTI

broken_legs
12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
pti steak :barf:

broken_legs
12-13-2008, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by chathamf
Pretty sure that it's not the easiest to get a rigging/mwd position these days. Camp work might be the easiest to come across..

Who do they put up camps for?

If you cant get a job doing those other things, why would you be able to get a job in camp?

My experience has been most campys and cooks look, talk, act like they just got out of prison.

Not all but most. I have met some awesome 1st cooks and some other cool people in camp, but for the most part, criminals and shady people all the way.

Supa Dexta
12-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Yeah there are a lot of dirt bag camp staff, but then again there are also some really good ones. Last winter we had a TERRIBLE bunch of scuzbags, and we ran them off, so they sent in 3 young people, couldn't have been more then early 20's. Anyways they were AWESOME after having the shitty ones that made food I wouldn't have fed a dog. It was too bad that after they decided to run the originals off, they were getting rid of the camp services later that week, so we only had them a few days..

Other then that theres the odd older woman who's really good, and quite motherly to the crew. But yeah, you sound like you want to do it, so I'd rather have you cooking my food then some grease bag who is only there for a cheque or two before going back on a month long drug binge, before doing it all again.. So just look up all the camp services companys you can. PTI, western are two of the bigger ones I know, but I really dont pay attention to their names anymore when I go to one. Shanco, royalcamp.. http://www.albertaoilfielddirectory.com/alberta_oil/index.php?cat=34&subcat=37&page=0

SJW
12-13-2008, 09:12 AM
Welcome to beyond where all your oilfield job dreams can come true????????????????????

I thought this was a car and "i'm better than you" enthusiast site.

What is the world coming to.

www.monster.ca USE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExtraSlow
12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Google search - Camp Services (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=1&q=camp+services&spell=1)

Enjoy.

chathamf
12-13-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by broken_legs

If you cant get a job doing those other things, why would you be able to get a job in camp?

Because working in a camp doesn't pay great and isn't a job a lot of people are trying to get. MWD on the other hand is a great job to get involved in and all the other oil field workers that are not working would get first dibs on the jobs over a non experienced worker.

Supa Dexta
12-13-2008, 01:44 PM
MWD draws from the same talent pool as campys. :nut:

broken_legs
12-13-2008, 08:50 PM

Because working in a camp doesn't pay great and isn't a job a lot of people are trying to get. MWD on the other hand is a great job to get involved in and all the other oil field workers that are not working would get first dibs on the jobs over a non experienced worker.

Sounds like you are an expert in oilfield employment. I tip my hat to you sir.

chathamf
12-13-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Sounds like you are an expert in oilfield employment. I tip my hat to you sir.

Sounds like you are a dick head.

Graham_A_M
12-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Hi Stefan. You might want to contact Nabors Drilling, Precision Drilling, and lastly Trinidad Drilling.

They all have their own camp services, and hire the cooking staff for the camps that they operate. You'd best look there, and try to call up their HR departments as to my knowledge they seldomly advertise camp (staff) related positions..... I honestly dont know how they find the staff as I've yet to see them advertise the need for cooks or (whatever else) in any sort of publication, internet or otherwise. So I'd go to their websites and give them a call directly.
Good luck :thumbsup:
I might be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure they pay $17-20/hr for kitchen staff. Please dont quote me on that, but if I remember right back when I used to do Well testing up in Whitecourt, I asked a Nabors camp cook what he got and it was $18.50 after a couple raises. :dunno:

broken_legs
12-14-2008, 04:02 AM

Sounds like you are a dick head.

Last edited by chathamf on 12-13-2008 at 07:55 PM

I wanna know what it said the first time!

dropdat
12-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Try the Noralta Lodge in Red Earth Creek, I heard they're hiring. But make sure you can cook or else they'll can you. When people complained a few weeks ago the cooks got fired.

johnboy27
12-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by dropdat
Try the Noralta Lodge in Red Earth Creek, I heard they're hiring. But make sure you can cook or else they'll can you. When people complained a few weeks ago the cooks got fired.
That is a pretty badass camp. Stayed there a couple years ago and loved it( for a camp).

Graham_A_M
12-23-2008, 11:12 PM
^ Yeah Red Earth Creek, just an awesome place to visit. :nut:

johnboy27
12-24-2008, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
^ Yeah Red Earth Creek, just an awesome place to visit. :nut: It is a shitty place to go but compared to the camp I spent half of last winter in the Noralta lodge is pretty damn nice.

Supa Dexta
12-26-2008, 04:11 AM
The 2nd cook on this job is the camp bicycle...

... who may now be pregnant.. oh oh! :rofl:

98brg2d
12-30-2008, 11:18 AM

Pipeline work/facility construction, logging (forestry), railway operation/maintenance (BC train tunnels). Lots of jobs don't require wells to be drilled in the immediate vicinity or within the same year to require camp services.

Bmac89
01-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Dont waste your time with P.T.I.

They are hurting for work, and they just lie about how good they are on the radeo, etc.

I was recently laid off from PTI trailor repair shop ++ The pay is shit.

Pti is also one of the worst camps you could go work for, im pretty sure.