PDA

View Full Version : Must say, those Veedub hatches are good in the winter

r3ccOs
12-13-2008, 12:56 AM
both my ole 99' GTI & my recently purchase'd '06 2.5 rabbit perform adequately with winter tires in this weather

In fact, they seem to handle much better than any other FWD/RWD vehicle I've driven... growing up & learning how to drive in Winnipeg and all

I think:
the horrible weight distribution and short wheel base = lots of traction and less under steer

the Rabbit w/ the traction control is very confidant inspiring

the 99 with skinnier Winters, Cantire nordics 195/65/15... might grip even better from stoppage

We'll see how they fare on ICE

Preslow
12-13-2008, 01:07 AM
awesome post

Destinova403
12-13-2008, 01:11 AM
preslow... name one contribution youve ever made to this site.

derek_k
12-13-2008, 01:21 AM
i know one. poor comic relief.
indeed a good post, i recently bought a 86 jetta gli wolfsburg.
replaced the clutch and performed a regular service and i love it.

stops great in this weather and handles even better.
the heated seats work awsome, so nice to have when you have leather, the heater blows the hottest air i have ever felt, minits after startup, sound systems good and lots of room.

i could only imagine how nice a new vw would handle this weather.

blows my mind

TurboD
12-13-2008, 01:43 AM
the one car i was really impressed with when i drove in lots of snow that you wouldn't expect to perform is the Mini.
nothing could slow this car down, totally owns the road through ice/snow etc.

very impressive

inline6turbo
12-13-2008, 01:53 AM
I've spent the whole night going back and forth across the city while I'm moving, and I'm using my roommates recently purchased 08' Rabbit 2.5. I totally agree. It is AMAZING!
I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle with better handling through this crap. It felt so solid and confident, traction control was amazing. Never once had a problem and I was going on ice, compacted snow, deep powder, everything.

A+++

ercchry
12-13-2008, 01:57 AM
i wonder what was wrong with the jetta tdi in front of me today, that guy just could not get going.. and in rush hour i found it rather annoying

Zero102
12-13-2008, 02:37 AM
05 golf GLS TDI here, running skinny winters and it goes like it is glued to the ground. All the time I am faster from traffic lights and into gaps in traffic than 4x4's and other vehicles that people stereotype to be excellent in the winter. I couldn't ask for a better car in the winter.

rollmnstr
12-13-2008, 02:41 AM
ive only ever owned vws
and now i have a mk.IV jetta with traction control and its awesome in the snow

love it

reno97637
12-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Wifey has a Saturn Astra and that car was pretty cool to drive. It has this button where you start off on 3rd gear. Car didn't struggle at all.

r3ccOs
12-13-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm not going to state it's only a VW thing

I'm certain the Astra must be brilliant as well

I know for fact that the MINI w/ Blizzaks are also amazing platforms for the winter, for the same reasons

I'm certain its those heavy hatch batch's obsurdly strange almost 70/30 weight differential

What I like about the VW & even the MINi is just the amount of low torque, even in my old GTI... With my 5 speed, if I need to feather the clutch in a tall gear, it does the trick

Plus with both, the heated mirrors, seats and jets are nice value adds

Wehbeast
12-13-2008, 11:38 AM
My EK Civic with Kumho KW19's was amazing last night :love:

asp integra
12-15-2008, 03:46 PM
i love my gti in the snow, ive got a 2000 1.8t with some winter tires and its amazing, the last few days driving around ive been passing everyone in thier 4x4s and suvs, so much fun driving the vw in the winter, it handles like a dream!

gretz
12-15-2008, 03:55 PM
the 86 crx monster is the supreme winter performer - 155/80/13 dubs, manual choke knob does wonders (doubles as cruise control), fires up at -30 no problem, heats up fast and gets nearly 50mpg. Not to mention nearly no wheelspin with the 78hp powerplant, all go.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by TurboD

nothing could slow this car down

You might want to check the brakes, they may need replacing.

Even though it's the size of a bloody Panzer, I love my Audi right now, I'll love it more when I get some damned winters on the thing.

96GrandAMGT
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
iv got a explorer sport trac suv only thing that would make it better is winter tires but otheriwse its awsome.. last year i drove my 03 grand am gt with goodyear ultra grip ice and no issues

James
12-15-2008, 05:19 PM
The last 5 winters i have had a few '87-92 Jettas, and i really miss the way they start, stop and handle in the snow. My lancer is fine, but its just not the same.:(

whiskas
12-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Duh, why do you think golfs are such popular rally cars.

Archea
12-17-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
I've spent the whole night going back and forth across the city while I'm moving, and I'm using my roommates recently purchased 08' Rabbit 2.5. I totally agree. It is AMAZING!
I don't think I've ever owned a vehicle with better handling through this crap. It felt so solid and confident, traction control was amazing. Never once had a problem and I was going on ice, compacted snow, deep powder, everything.

A+++

:) Bunny goes zoom zoom!!

The only time I ever feel outta control is when you hit deep powdery snow...other then that I havent really had any issues!

And the ice lately is HORRID...but what can you do!!

adam c
12-17-2008, 01:39 PM
my mazda6 is impressing me with traction control, i wish i had some winters for it but it's doing fine

3rd gear starts i think is a little over the top, too much stress on the transmission i feel
2nd gear works for me

Klexis
12-17-2008, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
i wonder what was wrong with the jetta tdi in front of me today, that guy just could not get going.. and in rush hour i found it rather annoying

:banghead: Iknorite. I had the same experience last week. Is it just me or is the jetta just too slow to be driven on the road. It was a total bummer. The car kept swerving, and I kept on trying to overtake it to no avail. It was a total bummer. To top it all off, my side mirrors were stolen. It was a totally bad dat. GRAHHH.

Herb
12-18-2008, 01:50 AM
yeah own a 08' Golf with blizzaks and its amazing, way better then my cavaqueer last year :thumbsup:

jibber
12-18-2008, 10:36 AM
My Maxima is no slouch in the snow and ice either, great ground clearance, studded Hakkas, limited-slip differential and front wheel drive. The heated leather seats are the icing on the cake. The brakes are also excellent.. matched with the Hakkas and the ABS almost never engages.