PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying this car..

funkedelic2
12-13-2008, 02:12 PM
I have had my eye on a 335i and i saw one that they have at Calgary BMW that i was interested in.

link to 335i (http://listings.boostmotorgroup.com/Details.aspx?InventoryID=285659&DealershipID=494&PageSize=20&ParentCompanyID=0&DealerGroupID=0&MediaID=36&onSpecial=0&Wholesale=0&Demo=0&lang=en&isLogo=1&origin=0&CustomLogo=0&VehicleType=&VideoYN=0&IsSpecial=0&IsMembership=0&IsDemo=0&IsWholesale=0&NotDemo=0&IsNew=0&VehicleTypeID=0&RowNumber=30)

I really love this car, i love the red on black. The only thing i wish it had was Navigation and i'm not really feeling the wood trim on that interior.

I was thinking i could knock off the price a bit, and i inquired about it online and one of the salesman sent me 2 different quotes. One was a leasing quote for a brand new 335i, but i'm not interested in leasing. The other was to finance this car.

Total sales price: $52,951
(Registration, GST, rubber mats,) :confused:
Monthly payment: $902 (4 term) 6% finance rate 0 downpayment

How much room is there here to negotiate? I don't want to spend 52k on this car because i don't think it is worth it. I was thinking more around mid 40k would be a fair deal.

This would be my first time buying from a dealer, so i need some advice from those that have done it before. Should i wait out until next year and hope prices are better on cars? Should i just bite the bullet and buy new?

I was thinking of buying slightly used because after adding everything up on a new car, it is more than i want to spend. I don't want to spend more than $950 per month right now.

Advice ..?

dimi
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
$52,000 for an 07? No way, now that the updated versions are out.

Engine: 3.5 :rofl:

jwslam
12-13-2008, 02:21 PM
i highly doubt you can knock 10% off the price
maybe you should go look at some private listings if you're looking for a better price

Redlyne_mr2
12-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I just took a white 335i coupe in on trade, it's a local car, one owner, 14500kms, it's also an Xi so AWD. We're asking $43900. So yah, that's a high price for what you're getting.

funkedelic2
12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
I just took a white 335i coupe in on trade, it's a local car, one owner, 14500kms, it's also an Xi so AWD. We're asking $43900. So yah, that's a high price for what you're getting.

:eek: send me the link. I checked the lexus of calgary website but didn't find it..

Redlyne_mr2
12-13-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by funkedelic2

:eek: send me the link. I checked the lexus of calgary website but didn't find it..
hehe just came in no one knows about it yet. :D

mowglee
12-13-2008, 03:11 PM
im diggin the red leather :thumbsup:

Preslow
12-13-2008, 04:23 PM
in Toronto here, the big BMW dealership have 07's in with 20-40k going for high 30's to mid 40's so thats definitely high man

bigboom
12-13-2008, 04:38 PM
i dont know if they still have them but bmw had two 08 black coupes that are bid cars with black on red and they were selling for $52 plus taxes and fees so for an 07 to be that price is kinda ridiculous.

funkedelic2
12-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah well 49k is the list price for the car.
It does have the premium and sport package as well, so its has a share of decent options. I don't want to pay that though, so i think i might just hold off for something else. The last thing i want to do is just jump on whatever without thinking it through enough.

max_boost
12-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Funkedelic, I think you should check out that 335XI listing redlyne_mr2 has. I'm kind of interested too.

Just went to the BMW website, the XDrive is heavier by 200lbs but slightly quicker than its RWD counterpart. I had no idea!

bigboom
12-13-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah well 49k is the list price for the car.
It does have the premium and sport package as well, so its has a share of decent options. I don't want to pay that though, so i think i might just hold off for something else. The last thing i want to do is just jump on whatever without thinking it through enough.

i'd rather have an 08, in 07 the 335's had some issues with the turbo's but they all have issues with their fuel pumps.

dimi
12-13-2008, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Funkedelic, I think you should check out that 335XI listing redlyne_mr2 has. I'm kind of interested too.

Just went to the BMW website, the XDrive is heavier by 200lbs but slightly quicker than its RWD counterpart. I had no idea!

Yea but then again they do post the 0-60 in like 5.6 seconds, when it's actually like 5.0 for the RWD. Don't forget that with the xi you will also lose a lot of power due to the extra diff.

My mom has a 335xi. Very fast car, though not the best AWD system around. If you take it easy in the winter w/ winter tires you'll be fine with the RWD.

The xi is a tank in winter. We still have the oem all seasons on it, and it has had no problems over the last week. Acceleration is just as brutal and you can climb any hill with no problem. The winters get here next week and it will be a different game.

If it was my money, I would go with a coupe 335i, spend about $1500-2000 for a good LSD (open diff from factory sucks), and a chip that can be removed prior to service. All said and done, at this altitude an M3 will stand no chance, corners or straights.

dimi
12-13-2008, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by bigboom

i'd rather have an 08, in 07 the 335's had some issues with the turbo's but they all have issues with their fuel pumps.

No issues with turbos, the fuel pump is prone to failure though.

max_boost
12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Do you guys know if heated seats and electrically adjustable seats with memory were standard on the 08's? How about sunroof?

XDrive tires are 225/45/17, running 215/45/17 OK?

Thanks!

:D :D :D

funkedelic2
12-13-2008, 05:58 PM

I got the information on this car already. I was very interested, good price, AWD, low kms and the car is alpine white :drool:

However it is automatic and does not come with the paddle shifters, and is a standard package. Doesn't seem to have very many options which is why i think it is priced the way it is.

Im thinking about it but i'm thinking the search continues..

dimi
12-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Do you guys know if heated seats and electrically adjustable seats with memory were standard on the 08's? How about sunroof?

XDrive tires are 225/45/17, running 215/45/17 OK?

Thanks!

:D :D :D

Our car was an 08, and I do not believe the memory seats were standard. There is a premium package that includes most of this stuff as well as the memory garage door opener and other stuff and the nice leather, although it is $4000. Sunroof is standard.

As well if you get an xi, dont get a sport package. On an i it includes the sport suspension, but on an xi it is only 18" wheels, sport seats and paddles.

Another thing. If you are contemplating b/w auto or 6 speed I would highly recommend the auto box. It is a very nice ZF gearbox, and much better/smoother than the GM one found in the 328. I have driven both the auto and manual and these were my observations.
1. The manual has very long throws, and I am not a fan of the clutch feel.
2. The auto shifts just as quick, and you would have to be a very good driver to outshift the auto in this car.
3. The auto gearbox is geared higher 1-4 gears so there will be more acceleration as well.
4. It also adapts to your driving style.
5. If you get the paddles, it rev matches very nicely and shifts on command, unlike other gearboxes that take a while to respond.

Overall not as nice as DCT, but still a very good transmission.

Are you wondering about the tires sizes in winter tires? I'm sure you could run them on the stock wheels, but I would still stick to the OEM sizes, especially if you have tire warranty. You never know with dealerships, they might claim that the 215 produces "too much stretch" and they might not honor your tire warranty if you get flat.

funkedelic2
12-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by dimi

Our car was an 08, and I do not believe the memory seats were standard. There is a premium package that includes most of this stuff as well as the memory garage door opener and other stuff and the nice leather, although it is $4000. Sunroof is standard.

As well if you get an xi, dont get a sport package. On an i it includes the sport suspension, but on an xi it is only 18" wheels, sport seats and paddles.

Another thing. If you are contemplating b/w auto or 6 speed I would highly recommend the auto box. It is a very nice ZF gearbox, and much better/smoother than the GM one found in the 328. I have driven both the auto and manual and these were my observations.
1. The manual has very long throws, and I am not a fan of the clutch feel.
2. The auto shifts just as quick, and you would have to be a very good driver to outshift the auto in this car.
3. The auto gearbox is geared higher 1-4 gears so there will be more acceleration as well.
4. It also adapts to your driving style.
5. If you get the paddles, it rev matches very nicely and shifts on command, unlike other gearboxes that take a while to respond.

Overall not as nice as DCT, but still a very good transmission.

Are you wondering about the tires sizes in winter tires? I'm sure you could run them on the stock wheels, but I would still stick to the OEM sizes, especially if you have tire warranty. You never know with dealerships, they might claim that the 215 produces "too much stretch" and they might not honor your tire warranty if you get flat.

Very useful information:thumbsup: I will keep this in mind if i end up with a 335.

HP2133
12-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I like buying for cash, as *some dealers prefer it and they are more willing to haggle a bit.

If it is out of your books, I recommend looking at 08s 335xi, as their financing rates here are floating around the 1.00% mark for up to 60 months of financing.

If you have a business and can deduct payments, GO lease at 2.00%.

Graham_A_M
12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
I'm amazed you're selling your M3, I'd stick with that any day of the week, over a 335, :dunno:

HP2133
12-14-2008, 03:31 PM
my instinct tells me it's gone / he was selling it for a long time now, i believe =)

funkedelic2
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Yeah the M3 is long gone, she lives in Edmonton now. Time to move on for me.

ryanallan
12-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
I'm amazed you're selling your M3, I'd stick with that any day of the week, over a 335, :dunno:
ya i agree, i like the M3 better

gram
12-14-2008, 10:29 PM
I've driven both and honestly the 335 blows the e46 m3 away... Go with Dinan if you do buy it funk....you will never turn back...oh by the way all these people saying it's good in the winter...lol get a winter car or keep that corolla going ;)

Aleks
12-14-2008, 11:23 PM
At 1% I won't pay cash for it. BMW is giving huge discounts on 08s And you can finance/lease through them at those low rates.

Why is leasing out of the question?

funkedelic2
12-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by gram
I've driven both and honestly the 335 blows the e46 m3 away... Go with Dinan if you do buy it funk....you will never turn back...oh by the way all these people saying it's good in the winter...lol get a winter car or keep that corolla going ;)

Oh ya i remember you told me that you use to have an e46 m3 as well before you bought that 335i. I love your car its perfect(let me know if you ever want to sell it ;)) . I will have heard good things about Dinan with the 335, if i can afford it i will be going down that route.

Preslow
12-14-2008, 11:54 PM
2007 BMW 335i
$874.33 per month plus taxes and receive $1,000.00 as a cash incentive paid directly to you. It currently has 23000 km’s and you can drive it up to 60000.00 km’s at no extra cost - which is equivalent to 19304 Free km's per year.

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-Take-Over-My-Lease-2007-BMW-3-Series-335I-W0QQAdIdZ74673086

gram
12-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Go new if you can..they are basically giving these away at 1%....Dinan wakes this car up and actually makes it in to a mean machine(not that it sucks stock)...I would strongly suggest doing the flash and maybe some other goodies....all depends on your budget:thumbsup: Some of the 07's don't have an oil cooler if you go used....MAKE SURE the car you buy has the oil cooler or you will overheat.

Xtrema
12-15-2008, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
At 1% I won't pay cash for it. BMW is giving huge discounts on 08s And you can finance/lease through them at those low rates.

Why is leasing out of the question?

It's 1% or $4000 off, on top of delivery credit which I believe is $2850. This is on top of what you can bargain off the MSRP.

The 1% will still cost you $2500 in interest. So the difference between finance and cash is about $6500.

I had the list of 2008 remaining stock of 335i from both BMW dealerships in town from 2 months ago. It's very slim picking unless you want ugly color combos or options you may not like.

And from what my friend's experience with Calgary BMW. They are quite firm on MSRP if you're financing or leasing. Which I think is kinda strange since 09's are $5000 cheaper than 08 fully loaded, you'll think they would be really desperate to move them.

Cash would probably get you a better deal (if you have it).

dimi
12-15-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by gram
MAKE SURE the car you buy has the oil cooler or you will overheat.

Not necessarily true. When I've driven it very aggressively it always stays a bit under the halfway mark and it doesn't have the sport package.

BUT it is definite upgrade and if you do engine mods you will need it, so get one with a sport package.

Aleks
12-16-2008, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

It's 1% or $4000 off, on top of delivery credit which I believe is $2850. This is on top of what you can bargain off the MSRP.

The 1% will still cost you $2500 in interest. So the difference between finance and cash is about $6500.

I had the list of 2008 remaining stock of 335i from both BMW dealerships in town from 2 months ago. It's very slim picking unless you want ugly color combos or options you may not like.

And from what my friend's experience with Calgary BMW. They are quite firm on MSRP if you're financing or leasing. Which I think is kinda strange since 09's are $5000 cheaper than 08 fully loaded, you'll think they would be really desperate to move them.

They are not firm on the 08s if you finance.
I have a bunch of quotes for Calgary BMW for X5s and 3series with $7K-$14K off MSRP AND 1% finance.
You're right thought about selection.

funkedelic2
12-16-2008, 08:20 AM

Not necessarily true. When I've driven it very aggressively it always stays a bit under the halfway mark and it doesn't have the sport package.

BUT it is definite upgrade and if you do engine mods you will need it, so get one with a sport package.

What does the sport package include again?

max_boost
12-16-2008, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Not really worth it. Lease rate on the 09 is 4.9% right now and can get it up to 48 months too. Wonder if they'll rate drop anytime soon.

max_boost
12-16-2008, 12:43 PM

What does the sport package include again?

Bigger wheels. Sport seats and sport suspension.

Aleks
12-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Nicer steering wheel too

civic_rida
12-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Hate seeing these cars driven in the winter.
Seen an 09 bmw go on the streets when it was -30.
Jet black plus winter driving is a bad mix.

dimi
12-16-2008, 02:40 PM

Also includes an oil cooler that I forgot to mention, so it is definitely worth getting.

scat19
12-16-2008, 04:51 PM

Also includes an oil cooler that I forgot to mention, so it is definitely worth getting.

Are you serious?!?! I know with the e46 tuners a rare but big thing to do was add an oil coiler.

The sport seats are my favorite, way comfier.

Xtrema
12-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by civic_rida
Hate seeing these cars driven in the winter.
Seen an 09 bmw go on the streets when it was -30.
Jet black plus winter driving is a bad mix.

Why?

The 335i is the new Civic. Everyone got one and won't shed a tear if one get crashed up. It's just a car.

Now I would say the same if a Lambo or R8 go on the road like today.

dimi
12-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Are you serious?!?! I know with the e46 tuners a rare but big thing to do was add an oil coiler.

The sport seats are my favorite, way comfier.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196046

E9X is way different than E46, plus NA engines usually don't require oil coolers.

benyl
12-16-2008, 05:34 PM
What ever you do, make sure you get the sport package and confirm you have an oil cooler. You have to get the sport package on the Xi to get the oil cooler.

The E46 M3 is a dog in Calgary.

I drive the 335i everyday. WTF would I want to do with a garage queen? the M3 cab is my garage queen... all year round haha. Sometimes I wish I never bought the M3. The 335i? I wish I had two.

benyl
12-16-2008, 05:37 PM
Oh yeah, the other thing is Nav sucks. What a waste of money. You can't search for anything. My $300 Nuvi is way better.

Get Comfort Access and the 6FL option if you can. It is nice to put music on your USB stick as they are way cheaper than an iPod and you won't forget your iPod in the car.

Bluetooth works really good.

funkedelic2
12-16-2008, 08:35 PM
Great advice, all usefull things to consider. I am still learning a lot about these cars. I think it will be a great step up from the e46 M3.

I am interested in an 08 right now (private sale) It comes with every option, it also comfort access, cold weather package and the sport package. We are at 45k for the price. Its in Calgary so i might go take a look at it this weekend :thumbsup:

gram
12-17-2008, 06:06 PM
Funk:

Let me know when you are in calgary...you can take mine for a drive:thumbsup: that way you'll see the non Dinan version vs Dinan plus every other mod you would ever want to do;)

Klexis
12-17-2008, 07:04 PM
$950 is not that bad considering that it's a roaring car. I just thought that the price would go down because of the economic recession. I'm planning of buying a Ford (I know. It's not much of a beauty but as long as I have a car everything's cool). The one I am planning to buy was on sale. BUY 1 TAKE 1. That's how cheap it is. :eek:

mekeni
12-18-2008, 04:36 PM
yup, don't get that 07 for $52K, just add 3K and you can get an 09 with the option you want.

an 08, I wouldn't buy for more than $45K

funkedelic2
12-19-2008, 10:22 AM
I ran into one i really like. I LOVE the space grey color. This car would be absoutely perfect if it just had red dakota leather. However it has 60k already and its an 07! The guy is asking 50 for it which i think is way too much. It is very well done and tastefully modded. I would pay maybe 40 for it.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-BMW-2007-BMW-335i-Coupe-Space-Grey-W0QQAdIdZ93834671

benyl
12-19-2008, 10:39 AM
Tastefully modded?

The dude cut the rear stock bumper to accommodate the quad tips. That is a hack job in my eyes.

mekeni
12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by benyl
Tastefully modded?

The dude cut the rear stock bumper to accommodate the quad tips. That is a hack job in my eyes.

:werd:

gram
12-19-2008, 05:25 PM
The warranty might also be void on that car Funk. Procede=a big no no to BMW..;)