PDA

View Full Version : fogging up, how to stop this?

03ozwhip
12-13-2008, 05:48 PM
this is the first winter ive driven the civic and it drives awesome in the snow. but the windows fog up something fierce and when i let it sit after it fogs, it ices up inside. is there a way to stop this? why does this happen? any help would be appreciated.

5000Audi
12-13-2008, 05:50 PM
its called condinsation freezeing on the window.. from you breathing in the car... keep your defrost heater setting on and it should keep your front and both side windows clear for the most part

EM1FTW
12-13-2008, 05:55 PM
Or crack a window.
That usually works well with the defrost blasting at the same time.

whiskas
12-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Yeah you gotta keep the defrost going while driving. It also warms up your windshield so any crap that hits it turns to water and can be easily cleared by the wipers.

If your car hasn't warmed up enough to blow hot just open up the windows and take the cold like a man.

Wehbeast
12-13-2008, 06:04 PM
Also I noticed when you have your heater set to recirculate it fogs up like crazy, make sure ur heater is set for fresh air not recirculated

03ozwhip
12-13-2008, 06:09 PM
ya the defroster works perfect for the windshield and the vents on the side windows so i can see the side views, but anything past that is completely fogged. even if i crack a window it doesnt help.

D. Dub
12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
If it's really bad --- it could also be a heater core leaking behind the dash.

TomcoPDR
12-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
this is the first winter ive driven the civic and it drives awesome in the snow. but the windows fog up something fierce and when i let it sit after it fogs, it ices up inside. is there a way to stop this? why does this happen? any help would be appreciated.

Originally posted by 5000Audi
from you breathing in the car...

Just don't breathe until your hot air kicks in to heat the vehicle fully.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2008, 06:15 PM
Crack both your windows open, just a little, when you park it overnight.

heavyD
12-13-2008, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by D. Dub
If it's really bad --- it could also be a heater core leaking behind the dash.
^^
If recirculation is off and you are getting lots of mist it could be a small coolant leak at the heater core.

rc2002
12-13-2008, 06:18 PM
If it has A/C, make sure you have it on. It dries out the air and keeps moisture out of your car. Keeping the windows open helps too as mentioned above.

Problem is that you track all the snow into your car. It melts and evaporates and causes it to be very humid inside your car.

Abeo
Check for water leaks, especially near the windsheld/firewall area

Use rubber winter mats, and take the carpet mats out... if its really soggy down there, grab a few bath towels and sop up the excess water. If it smells sweet in the car, its likely a heater core leak. If you have ac and it works, make sure its on when you have fogging problems (it dries out the air before you heat it, cold air holds less moisture than warm air).

sabad66
Make sure it is set to fresh air, not recirculated air! All my friends with civics are so amazed when they realize that is all it takes lol

Brap_Brap
12-13-2008, 06:49 PM
A/C FTW!

96integra
12-13-2008, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Wehbeast
Also I noticed when you have your heater set to recirculate it fogs up like crazy, make sure ur heater is set for fresh air not recirculated

what he said...
That used to be the problem for me. I thought the air would be warmer if I recirculated it but all it does is fog up. Use fresh air.

Mckenzie
12-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Here is the trick:

Your fresh air intake is at the bottom of your windshield. On a snowy day, ensure all snow is removed from this spot or it will suck the moisture through your vents, pump it into the car and make a real frozen mess. I learned this last year and since then have had much better luck with windows not freezing.

Also, the window down trick is not bad either, but always use fresh air.

Tik-Tok
12-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Another trick, is to leave desiccant bags in your car, under the seat works (if you don't have power seats)

djayz
12-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Rain-X or wax on the inside windows, I've been doing this for years and hardly ever have a problem.

cyrusli
12-13-2008, 09:07 PM
yeah, i'd check the heater core and windshield/firewall area for moisture. it's possible that you don't see cracks but the seal on the windows may be bad.

if your car is covered with snow, always try to clear the snow off the hood and the wiper area.. make sure it's clear and it gets proper air if there's a plastic grill between your hood and windshield.

5fivespeed
12-13-2008, 09:12 PM
I tried Shaving Cream -- rub a tiny bit on a cloth to the window for a nice thin film on the window. Then wait, wipe off. Again - THIN film.

I tried it, put a way to thick film. Got it in all cracks on my interior as I sprayed too much. It was an old truck, but yeah. It seemed to work. Give it a shot

There:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2352564_keep-windows-from-fogging-up.html

icetraycnb
12-13-2008, 09:24 PM
I find having clean windows help as well.

hampstor
12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
If it has A/C, make sure you have it on. It dries out the air and keeps moisture out of your car. Keeping the windows open helps too as mentioned above.

Problem is that you track all the snow into your car. It melts and evaporates and causes it to be very humid inside your car.

Works every time!

flipstah
12-13-2008, 10:12 PM
For me, it works quite well if you leave your defroster on 'warm' to keep condensation out and yourself comfortable.

It's just proper blending, that's all. :)

4lti7ude
12-21-2008, 04:27 AM
Since were on the topic of foggy windows.
A problem I have is the moisture from the foggy windows is freezing in my car then when I start to drive it cant melt it all.

Is there a way to stop the moisture from freezing in my car like that?

bart
12-21-2008, 04:48 AM
buy a vw phaeton :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmGNRMOpg7E

ffwd to 2:10

Abeo
12-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude
Since were on the topic of foggy windows.
A problem I have is the moisture from the foggy windows is freezing in my car then when I start to drive it cant melt it all.

Is there a way to stop the moisture from freezing in my car like that?

Try putting a window down about an inch, so while you are driving you have fresh (dry) air entering the car. I have to do this in my truck when I've showered and am driving to work with damp hair (this only works if you do it before it freezes).

ExtraSlow
12-22-2008, 11:19 AM
If you park in a heated garage, your call will be full of warm and moist air when you start your trip, and in temperatures like this, it will condense and freeze on your windows pretty quickly. Leave one or both of your windows open long enough ti circulate our the warm and moist air as you start your trip which should help.

Parking outside does have some advantages.

nismo_fan
12-22-2008, 03:17 PM
as a fellow civic owner (88 sedan and 91 hb), please, like mentioned on the first page, turn your heater to fresh air. it will make all the difference in keeping your windows unfogged.

also, top up your coolant, as this makes warming up sooooooo much faster.

i've just went through the problems you are and i'm sure with these two things you'll be on your way quickly!

cdnsir
12-22-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by djayz
Rain-X or wax on the inside windows, I've been doing this for years and hardly ever have a problem.

The anti fog rain-x does work, but that greasy film it leaves behind really is a pain to take off.

I now recirculate the air when the car is warming, ONLY when I'm not actually in it though. But as soon as I go in, I turn it to fresh air, then make Defrost mode is on, and it's working pretty good for me so far. I also set the side vents to point and blast towards the lower corner of the front windows as well, that really helps to clear the area around the rear view mirror.

Eleanor
12-22-2008, 04:46 PM
A/C on, no recirc, defroster.

Done.

Also, if it's a little nicer, crack open your window(s) a touch.

03ozwhip
12-24-2008, 12:45 PM
FYI i shop vacced the water from the floors and rubber mats and put it on fresh air and i havent had this problem since. good advice guys.

Supa Dexta
12-24-2008, 12:50 PM
Its all about moving more air. Non recirc'd and as mush as it takes to keep the windows clear.

xmattx8
12-24-2008, 01:20 PM
I scrape the inside of my windows more then the outside :facepalm: :cry:

alloroc
12-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Fan on high

Maybe change your thermostat (kuzeh is the best brand for jap autos)

Heater on high

Fresh air (no recirc).

Take your floor mats into the house and clean and dry them

Clean the snow off your hood and intake vents - before you turn on your heater. Dunno about hondas but earlier model Toyotas are notorious for sucking up snow when you start driving and fogging up everything.

Air conditioning on helps but the AC won't come on until the under hood temps rise enough to close the low pressure switch. (AC wont come on below about -10)

Open the windows some when you are gettin' jiggy with the girlfriend.

4lti7ude
12-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.
Seems I just needed to be using fresh air instead of circulated.
The only problem I have now is that, the Fresh air is cold and dosnt seem to heat up to well.
I dont know if its the super cold air outside...
But I read something about covering half of my Rad with cardboard.
Should I do that to help create more hot air then cold air?

alloroc
12-26-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by 4lti7ude
Thanks for the help everyone.
Seems I just needed to be using fresh air instead of circulated.
The only problem I have now is that, the Fresh air is cold and dosnt seem to heat up to well.
I dont know if its the super cold air outside...
But I read something about covering half of my Rad with cardboard.
Should I do that to help create more hot air then cold air?

Originally posted by alloroc
Maybe change your thermostat (kuzeh is the best brand for jap autos)

Heater on high

Also check your antifreeze concentration, too much antifreeze is as bad as not enough and will cause reduced heat transfer - especially if you have switched to propylene glycol from ethylene recently. Anything more than 50/50 could cause issues.