PDA

View Full Version : u of c art parkade

jwslam
12-13-2008, 10:11 PM
i got there at like 750 this morning and the gate was open with a sign on the cc machine saying "free entry. no charge. please proceed"???

flipstah
12-13-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
i got there at like 750 this morning and the gate was open with a sign on the cc machine saying "free entry. no charge. please proceed"???

Is the U of C feeling bad for the students for writing early exams in this weather???

They have a heart! It's a miracle!

Is this at the side where there are people manning the booths? And did they just let you in or are you a pass user?

93accord
12-13-2008, 10:36 PM
damn i paid 4 bucks at math sciences :banghead:

jwslam
12-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Is the U of C feeling bad for the students for writing early exams in this weather???

They have a heart! It's a miracle!

Is this at the side where there are people manning the booths? And did they just let you in or are you a pass user?

umm.. i got in on the east side
the side without exits
there was no one at the booths
it was just a sheet of printed paper taped to the cc machine and the gate was open

but when i left at 630pm there were ppl in the booths so i don't know how long it was free for

flipstah
12-13-2008, 10:40 PM

umm.. i got in on the east side
the side without exits
there was no one at the booths
it was just a sheet of printed paper taped to the cc machine and the gate was open

but when i left at 630pm there were ppl in the booths so i don't know how long it was free for

Maybe the machine was broken because it was hella cold? I remember on Friday night, they were still fixing it.

sabad66
12-13-2008, 10:46 PM
maybe some student wrote that sign up as a joke lol

nobb
12-13-2008, 10:51 PM
No way the UC parking guys are feeling generous, all the university wants from us is our money. Just think about how they jack up the parking every year.

The meter must just be broken...

96integra
12-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I just park at math science where the free 2hr parking is. Just enough time for writing exams!
AND I heard they don't ticket you cause you're already under stress from finals and they dont want you to commit suicide LOL.

flipstah
12-13-2008, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by 96integra
I just park at math science where the free 2hr parking is. Just enough time for writing exams!
AND I heard they don't ticket you cause you're already under stress from finals and they dont want you to commit suicide LOL.

Haha nice! Those used to be metered but I guess everyone got pissy whenever Parking tickets them 12 minutes after expiration.

I swear, they watch those spots like Johnny Rooks.

jwslam
12-13-2008, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
maybe some student wrote that sign up as a joke lol
and how'd the rig that gate open smartass

what?!?! there's 2 hr parking?? where?!?!

flipstah
12-13-2008, 11:30 PM

what?!?! there's 2 hr parking?? where?!?!

It's right in front of the link from ST to MS (that hallway with the funky wall tables and the portable.)

It's near the motorcycle parking and it'll say 2 hour parking, strictly enforced etc.

jwslam
12-13-2008, 11:32 PM
really. how many spots are there
is it weekends/evenings only?

flipstah
12-13-2008, 11:35 PM
really. how many spots are there
is it weekends/evenings only?

Hm... Six I believe. It's everyday so long as you can get a spot.

It's pretty sweet if you're in a rush. Just turn on the hazards when parked and go! Or leave a note.

They like notes. :)

tlapec
12-14-2008, 01:26 AM

Ya right they don't, i was going for my exam at 12 today and saw the parking dude writing tickets in -30 degrees weather in front of ICT. i dont think anything will stop them from ticketing

rockwolf2001
12-14-2008, 01:36 AM

and how'd the rig that gate open smartass

well i have a bus gate close to my house, and i know when it gets as cold as it did today, the gate will freeze and it wont close...
same idea? :dunno:

as for parking, i have a theory... i apologize now if it sounds stupid as i do not drive...
if you didn't pay for parking every day but kept your car quite well hidden (say park by the bushes or something)
and then just photshopped a new ticket every day
by the time they caught you wit a fake ticket, the ticket they give you would be less than the accumulated money you would have paid for parking?

flipstah
12-14-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by rockwolf2001

well i have a bus gate close to my house, and i know when it gets as cold as it did today, the gate will freeze and it wont close...
same idea? :dunno:

as for parking, i have a theory... i apologize now if it sounds stupid as i do not drive...
if you didn't pay for parking every day but kept your car quite well hidden (say park by the bushes or something)
and then just photshopped a new ticket every day
by the time they caught you wit a fake ticket, the ticket they give you would be less than the accumulated money you would have paid for parking?

Is all that time spent hiding your car in a different spot every day, photoshopping a ticket every day, printing, cutting it to a size suitable for a ticket and ACTUALLY getting a ticket worth the $4.00/day you save, assuming you don't get caught the first day?

You seem to be a smart person. If you used your intelligence to help save the world and not cheat it, all is right with the world. :thumbsup:

96integra
12-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Shit, I shouldn't have revealed my secret parking spot :banghead:
It's usually all full though but if you go early enough you'll get lucky.

buh_buh
12-14-2008, 04:02 PM
If only they were generous enough to offer free parking at Mac Hall. Art Parkade still means I'm freezing my balls off.

5hift
12-14-2008, 04:32 PM
If the parking lot was free, then there would never be any space to park and all you guys would bitch how the UofC needs more parking lots.

You can get from the Art Parkade to the Mackimme Library without going outside. From there its about 20 steps to Mac Hall from where you can get to anywhere on campus without going back outside. If that is too much for you too handle you probably shouldnt be at university.

buh_buh
12-14-2008, 04:45 PM
since when was adverseness to harsh weather related to your merits? I just want my car to be warm by the time I get there.

sneek
12-14-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
since when was adverseness to harsh weather related to your merits? I just want my car to be warm by the time I get there.

:werd:
I paid $12 to park in MacHall...but ah well...at least she is warm :)

I feel bad for those Lot 10 people, it is outside and it is one of the lots where you don't have a plug...I guess it is $3.50 though, but you could just park in 12 or whatever it is and have a plug in.

Preslow
12-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by sneek

:werd:
I paid $12 to park in MacHall...but ah well...at least she is warm :)

I feel bad for those Lot 10 people, it is outside and it is one of the lots where you don't have a plug...I guess it is $3.50 though, but you could just park in 12 or whatever it is and have a plug in.

$12 is so expensive i forgot how much it was

Spoons
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I've gotten a ticket for the 2 hour free parking. The time on it was literally 5 minutes after expiration.

I fought it and won. Fucking renta-cop parking authorities at UC. They piss me off.

r0g3r
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
which lot lot at the uofc has a plug?

aklalani
12-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Spoons
I've gotten a ticket for the 2 hour free parking. The time on it was literally 5 minutes after expiration.

I fought it and won. Fucking renta-cop parking authorities at UC. They piss me off.

lol i get so many. just dont pay em

toastgremlin
12-14-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by aklalani
lol i get so many. just dont pay em What happens if you don't pay? Do they keep track of the plates they ticket and call a tow truck if you constantly flout the rule?

buh_buh
12-14-2008, 09:44 PM
no pay, no graduation.
Have fun with not paying those tickets guys.

jwslam
12-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Spoons

renta-cops?

Originally posted by 5hift
You can get from the Art Parkade to the Mackimme Library without going outside. From there its about 20 steps to Mac Hall from where you can get to anywhere on campus without going back outside. If that is too much for you too handle you probably shouldnt be at university.
the whole campus except mech engg is linked.
it just takes you about 20 min to walk from art parkade to the gym indoors haha
parkade-CH-MFH-Admin-Social Sci-Science A- Science B-Mac Hall-Kines-Gym

no pay, no graduation.
that doesn't make any sense. they don't have your licence plate on your student file. unless they're bored enough to track it. even then. what if i live away from my parents and i drive their car. you can't track it by address or name. smartass.

buh_buh
12-14-2008, 10:38 PM
Payment of Fines
Parking tickets that remain outstanding are considered a debt to the University and may be subject to the filing of a withhold on a students' account. This withhold would not allow services to be received from the Registrar's office at the University of Calgary.

96integra
12-14-2008, 10:46 PM

that doesn't make any sense. they don't have your licence plate on your student file. unless they're bored enough to track it. even then. what if i live away from my parents and i drive their car. you can't track it by address or name. smartass.

Exactly.
I also have gotten many tickets. Not a single one paid :rofl:
There is no way for them to reinforce payment and they have no record of who drove the car. So, how could they withhold your account? It's a scare tactic.

.civictyper.
12-14-2008, 10:56 PM
I got a ticket for having my purchased ticket face down the other day...9 mins after I parked the car haha

Those u of c rent-a-cop's are on top of their shit

believe
12-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

Is all that time spent hiding your car in a different spot every day, photoshopping a ticket every day, printing, cutting it to a size suitable for a ticket and ACTUALLY getting a ticket worth the $4.00/day you save, assuming you don't get caught the first day?

You seem to be a smart person. If you used your intelligence to help save the world and not cheat it, all is right with the world. :thumbsup:

i can think of at least 3 people off the top of my head who would try this. haha

aklalani
12-14-2008, 11:42 PM
no pay, no graduation.

im pretty sure they cant connect the car to your student id. even if they can i got 5 cars so i use a different one everytime and only one is under my name. they cant do anything to my parents. lol

Neil4Speed
12-15-2008, 03:45 PM
I am not 100% sure, but they were able to connect my license plate to my name when they sent notification to my house. Whether or not they would withhold my graduation or something like that - we will see.

To tell you the truth I think that $12 for Machall is quite reasonable seeing that it is the only underground parking available on campus, and pretty limited in capacity. Especially when your paying $30 in downtown.

I paid the $12 a day when it got very cold last year, money very well spent.

jwslam
12-15-2008, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

I paid the $12 a day when it got very cold last year, money very well spent.

me too
i was sick and i really didn't feel like walking outside
plus i didn't have to sweep the f'in snow off my car =]

Skyline_Addict
12-15-2008, 05:04 PM
no pay, no graduation.

don't know if the system has changed, but your license plate is not linked to your student file. there is no way for them to track your parking ticket to you as a student. they can definetely track registration info, as you will receive parking violations in your mailing address. but i don't think they go as far as matching names on the registration to names in the student database.

as evidence, I had a dozen tickets outstanding and I had no problems graduating. peoplesoft should also tell you if you have any outstanding fines, and I have never seen any amount other than 0.00 on that screen.

turbotrip
12-15-2008, 05:10 PM
if the car isnt registered under ur name dont worry about paying the tickets, just worry about getting towed. I have somehow accumulated a few hundred dollars in tickets, and at around $200 they just sent a letter to the registered owner saying if the car is seen on property it will be towed. since that letter i think that car has gotten about $150 more in tickets and still not towed LOL. however now i have to switch up cars just to be safe haha

buh_buh
02-06-2009, 02:12 PM
this is an old thread, but I just got a letter in the mail today not from U of C but from U of A

In accordance with clause 7.5 of the Traffic & Parking Regulations the University reserves the right to withhold indications of academic performance (examination marks, transcripts, diplomas) and to deny registration or access to registration materials for non-payment of fines incurred by students. Vehicles consistently parked illegally are placed on a tow-away list and will be towed from University property...

So I'm not sure if U of C has the same conditions, but I'm going to assume they're going to be similar although I had tickets dating back to 2005 from U of A and I never had a problem with registration or transcript requests.

Generic
02-07-2009, 05:18 PM
gay
i paid for like 3 tickets when i was at the U of C

Disoblige
02-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

don't know if the system has changed, but your license plate is not linked to your student file. there is no way for them to track your parking ticket to you as a student. they can definetely track registration info, as you will receive parking violations in your mailing address. but i don't think they go as far as matching names on the registration to names in the student database.

as evidence, I had a dozen tickets outstanding and I had no problems graduating. peoplesoft should also tell you if you have any outstanding fines, and I have never seen any amount other than 0.00 on that screen.

Correct! But I wouldn't be worried about towing. I'm more worried if they have immobilizers.

ronaldo
02-08-2009, 02:20 AM
i get tons of tickets every semester.. i have never paid a single one

menzel
02-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Be careful, they have a right to hold up granting your degree if you owe them money.

Originally posted by ronaldo

i get tons of tickets every semester.. i have never paid a single one

ronaldo
02-08-2009, 07:12 PM
car is not registered under my name...

in*10*se
02-08-2009, 11:25 PM
pfft graduated with like 600 bucks in tickets... this is when tickets were 20 bucks a piece... lol

and my buddy musta graduated with over 1k of tickets... so meh.