PDA

View Full Version : Victoria winter driving

97'Scort
12-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Holy sweet jesus it snowed here. 3 whole cm. Now me, being a good Alberta guy, thought ahead and put my winter tires on two days ago, so I'm better off than most. The whole city has basically shut down.

Anyways, I'm coming home tonight from a DJ gig at the Uplands Golf Course, and my normal route home (not to mention the one I took there, before it snowed) is via a roughly 2000 foot long hill that's on a 10-30 (at least) degree slope over its length. You can see the ice in the streetlights, but I figure with that little snow I'll be able to get enough traction to get up.

I make it about 3/4 of the way, and I notice all the people standing on the side of the road, most with cameras. Immediately I think "uh oh" because there could be only one reason: they're videoing people trying the hill in their cars.

I've got a good bit of speed, but I'm forced out of my snowy track onto the ice by all the people standing around. Last thing I wanted was to run over someone. As soon as I hit the ice, the tires lose all grip. I lock the diff and just try to ease it, but no. Fully stopped, still on the slope. A bunch of guys run to push but I wave them off since they can't even keep their footing, let alone push.

So looking back down the hill, I start to slide. I put on the brakes but they are no good...just keep sliding. Now I'm picking up a pretty good speed, probably 30k backwards.

After that, instinct just kicked in, and it was all a blur. I saw a bit of grass to the side, so I tried to angle for it. Caught it with one wheel, reefed on my e-brake, pulled a j-hook, off on the ebrake, into second and I'm off. I can hear the cheering up the hill.

So I took the easy way up, which is another km or so back, and go to check it out for myself. Apparently I impressed a lot of people :)

I know it's just a rambling story (and without pics...seems everybody was too into watching to take any of me!), but I was fairly proud of myself for pulling a hook like that under pressure and purely from muscle memory.

Jlude
12-14-2008, 03:17 AM
Hahaha nice work bud. Sliding 30k+ backwards down an icy hill could have gone bad quickly.

97'Scort
12-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Damn right. Talking to the people afterwards, seems like a LOT of people have smoked trees and such. The only car I saw make it was a STI but only barely.

Jlude
12-14-2008, 03:25 AM
well, explains exactly why people were on the sidelines like a damn santa claus parade. If I had nothing better to do, I'd be out there watching too. Mostly to laugh, but to also help those who actually get stuck, of course.

eglove
12-14-2008, 03:27 AM
I have had so many email/txts/facebook updates from people back home saying "OMG IT SNOWIN OUT OMGZZ"

Man, I wish I was back home with that snow, instead of here, haha

97'Scort
12-14-2008, 03:40 AM
Haha yeah. I fly home Wednesday and I'm not looking forward to the -30 my sister is telling me about.

Supa Dexta
12-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Ha.. I was down there again last week, but only had fog at the time. Was nice leaving the minus 25 of alberta to go down there for ~8* ...

joyridder
12-14-2008, 11:59 AM
I live in Vic as well, and its really very fascinating how ppl react to snow out here. Its like they become paralyzed at the thought of driving, often performing the same type of driving as if it were raining....
Coming home from the Ferry last night, I laughed at the sight of a few flakes on the windshield, yet ppl were driving as if there was already 5cm on the road. In the grocery store, parents were already talking about how to deal with the possible school closures etc, stocking up on food, some even mentioned Home Depot and Rona being sold out of shovels...lol
I am loving the snow, actually reminds me of the many "wonderful" winters in cowtown. Tomorrows commute should be interesting, my drive is all hills.... fun stuff!!

Barking_Spidre
12-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Hey, I live in victoria too, which street are you talking about? My street I take to come up to my place is probably a good 2km long, and it's ALL up hill. I haven't left the house since friday though.

Weird, I fly home on Wednesday too, hahaha.

rc2002
12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
Anyways, I'm coming home tonight from a DJ gig at the Uplands Golf Course, and my normal route home (not to mention the one I took there, before it snowed) is via a roughly 2000 foot long hill that's on a 10-30 (at least) degree slope over its length. You can see the ice in the streetlights, but I figure with that little snow I'll be able to get enough traction to get up.

I highly doubt it was 10-30 degree slope. 10 degrees is among the most extreme for graded roads.

97'Scort
12-14-2008, 02:14 PM
It was sinclair road up from Cadboro Bay (it turns into McKenzie just by the university).

It might not be 30 degrees, but I can assure you its more than 10. I'm trying to think of a Calgary road that would compare, but it's more like something you'd see in San Francisco or something.

Barking_Spidre
12-14-2008, 02:31 PM
It was sinclair road up from Cadboro Bay (it turns into McKenzie just by the university).

It might not be 30 degrees, but I can assure you its more than 10. I'm trying to think of a Calgary road that would compare, but it's more like something you'd see in San Francisco or something.

Maybe something like, Sarcee trail going up by COP? Going towards Bow trail.

eglove
12-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Barking_Spidre

Maybe something like, Sarcee trail going up by COP? Going towards Bow trail.

more extreme that that,

compare it to a regular set of stairs in a house, but flat...like a ramp. maybe about 3 degrees or so less.

it's a ANGLED road. not joking.

man i would kill to be back home it's TOOOOOOO cold here.

sxtasy
12-14-2008, 07:17 PM
was just driving around Vic. Pretty easy, most people are way to scared to drive today so roads were pretty empty!

happydude
12-14-2008, 09:08 PM
It's kind of nice here in Victoria when the snow actually sticks around for abit. Sure is icy tonight after it melted today then froze back up. Fell on my ass a couple times.:rofl:

I'm sure that road coming up from Cadboro Bay is close to 10 degrees at least. Hell, even people driving by my place on a slight incline were spinning their tires all over the place.

bignerd
12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
Doesn't help that all of Victoria only has one snow plow too-and usually it is at the airport.

We lived at the bottom of a huge hill off a main road at a 90 degree angle so you couldn't even get a running start at the hill. We often parked at the bottom and hiked the rest of the way home (Prospect Lake area).
But yes most people are terrified of snow there, they only drive in it once every couple of years...

At least they are stingy with the salt, I have seen them turn the road white they dump so much of it on.

Canmorite
12-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Hahaha I know EXACTLY what hill you're talking about, that thing is steep!

I used to live in Cadboro Bay...

Found a pic, but it doesn't do it justice.

http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/8917/292563907751a1aa7a5cr2.jpg

97'Scort
12-14-2008, 10:59 PM
^ That's it! That's about right where I lost traction too, 3/4 of the way up. See that no parking sign and the fire hydrant on the right? That's exactly where I pulled the turn :)

Wow, there's a pretty good Beyond group here. Victoria Beyond meet in the New Year?

eglove
12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
haha, i am down for a Vic meet.

Barking_Spidre
12-15-2008, 04:49 PM
I only drive a pathfinder that's kind of a junker, but I'd be down for whatever, haha.

Supa Dexta
12-15-2008, 07:14 PM
This is in qualicum beach...

http://img368.imageshack.us/img368/4042/snow1fl1.jpg

..little more then u guys. ;)

Freeskier
12-16-2008, 01:57 AM
I live on shelbourne and garnett. My buddies 2wd truck won't even move out of it's parking spot. There's a little build up of snow around the front wheels, and so the back wheels just spin. I tried to just ease it out by rocking on the clutch but no go. Sand is needed.
Victoria meet would be sweet

happydude
12-16-2008, 01:19 PM
Looks like we're due for some more snow and freezing temperatures. Victoria drivers beware! :rofl:

S4maniac
12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Yup, more coming tomorrow!! My Excursion is loving this stuff.

sxtasy
12-16-2008, 07:55 PM
i work on Salt spring island, you should see how slow people drive around here. First day of snowfall there were so many cars in the ditch and upside down :facepalm: Definately an asset having Calgary winter driving experience

joyridder
12-16-2008, 07:59 PM
I can't get out of the driveway to my work =(

kamakurakid
12-16-2008, 10:30 PM

I used to live on the 2200 block of 16A Street SW Calgary, the 2100 block is pure hell in winter....need a flying run from 17th Avenue almost. Having lived for five years in Victoria, I can say Sinclair is pretty much at the same grade.

97'Scort
12-17-2008, 01:14 PM
Back in E-Town for the holidays. The bimmer was having no problem with the roads...neither was the u-haul i rented to move on Monday night. I could hear people spinning their tires the whole day though, haha.

happydude
12-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Here it comes again! Looks like I'll probably be hanging out at the airport tomorrow waiting for a delayed flight.

S4maniac
12-20-2008, 09:29 PM
I just got back from Mayfair Mall ... islanders really have no idea how to drive in winter.

I have to pick up my dad at the airport at 11pm. His flight is 3 hours late. Now THAT should be interesting driving, should have a good 5+ cm more by then.

97'Scort
12-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Just give yourself lots of time. The freeway was pretty much clear when I drove it. The spot where you have to be careful is at the turnoff to the airport itself. That narrow little 2 lane sucks.

Barking_Spidre
12-21-2008, 02:22 PM
I flew back to calgary on wednesday night. Flight was supposed to leave at 8pm and arrive at 10:17 in Calgary. At around 9:45, the plane hadn't even left calgary yet. Got on my flight at around 11:30 i think? Wasn't really paying that much attention. Arrived back home in calgary at 2:15am. 4 hours delayed, not too bad hahaha.

But the worst thing, was the drive there. I got onto highway 17 at Mckenzie, and it took me an hour and 15 minutes to get about 8 Kilometers, and for no good reason, just no one knew how to drive it.

So being super paranoid and not knowing my flight was delayed, I got off onto central saanich road, and took that straight up to the traffic circle just before the airport. Made it in time for my 8oclock flight, which I thought I was going to miss, but hey, I had lots of time!

S4maniac
12-21-2008, 03:08 PM
So you guys have left town and the roads here have gone to shit. We must have had a foot of snow last night (saturday night) and its still snowing and its noon Sunday. I hopped in the Excursion and cruised around looking to help anyone out. A few pushes of regular cars down the streets but almost everyone seems to be huddling inside.

My dads flight got turned around at 11.30PM (4 hours late) because they couldn't land in Victoria. The rescue flight is supposed to be tonight but the snow is supposed to continue all day.

... and I was thinking about driving to Calgary for New Years ... I don't think so.

happydude
12-21-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
So you guys have left town and the roads here have gone to shit.

I'm in the process of trying to leave town. :nut:

Every flight out today has been delayed at least a few hours so I'm anticipating a nice long wait at the airport. Even taxi's are in panic mode. I called to book one for this afternoon and they told me I need to call for a taxi, say I'm ready to go, and they'll show up whenever they show up. *grumble*

S4maniac
12-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by happydude

I'm in the process of trying to leave town. :nut:

Every flight out today has been delayed at least a few hours so I'm anticipating a nice long wait at the airport. Even taxi's are in panic mode. I called to book one for this afternoon and they told me I need to call for a taxi, say I'm ready to go, and they'll show up whenever they show up. *grumble*

Crap man - half the flights out have been canceled already. Good luck!

Toms-SC
12-21-2008, 06:10 PM
Lots of snow in upper Coquitlam right now. We are snowed in on top of the mountain. :love:

happydude
12-21-2008, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac

Crap man - half the flights out have been canceled already. Good luck!

Yeah, it looks like most of the flights cancelled are the ones heading to Vancouver and Seattle. All the ones going to Alberta seem to be alright, albeit delayed.

Hopefully this isn't the start of a "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles" day for me.:rofl:

97'Scort
12-22-2008, 12:36 AM
^ If you start seeing John Candy, I'd suggest laying down for a bit :)

Haha, looks like I got out of dodge just in time. I'll take the shit weather in Edmonton over panicky morons in Vic any day.

S4maniac
12-22-2008, 11:01 AM
... aaannnddd all the flights out were canceled last night and this morning. My dad is stuck in Calgary trying to get here. At least Westjet put him up in the Hyatt ... I think he'd rather be there in a 4 star hotel than huddling in my little place anyways.

happydude
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Yeah, I was waiting at the airport last night when they cancelled everything and told people to head back into town despite there being no taxis and the airporter only running downtown.

My paranoid self booked a seat on a flight today and another tomorrow, so hopefully one will come through and I can just exchange the other for Westjet credit.

Wish me luck!

JKL@STRD
12-22-2008, 02:29 PM
BC is never ready for snow.. LOL
and no one ever use winter tiress there... i kinda miss the BC weather.... i was able to drive my car 11 months of the year there haha:burnout:

S4maniac
12-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by happydude
Yeah, I was waiting at the airport last night when they cancelled everything and told people to head back into town despite there being no taxis and the airporter only running downtown.

My paranoid self booked a seat on a flight today and another tomorrow, so hopefully one will come through and I can just exchange the other for Westjet credit.

Wish me luck!

Just found out my dad is stranded in Calgary until the 24th. Westjet has put him up in the Hyatt til then.

I just pulled a truck with a bobcat and trailer out of the snow. Its pretty bad when the snow removal crews are getting stuck.

WCSilvia
12-26-2008, 01:02 PM
Definitely a beyond victoria meet is in order...
ive seen some sick cars there with speedtech decals all around...and i thought id be all alone on the island with no beyonders lol

joyridder
12-26-2008, 01:05 PM
I'd totally be up for a Victoria meet:thumbsup:

S4maniac
12-26-2008, 06:35 PM
I'd be in. I suggest a night when we have a Flames/Oilers game we could patch into.

Sorry, but I'd be the old guy driving either an Excursion or my ST1300 (depending on date). No flashy jdm or eurocar from me ... sold the S4 a couple years ago.

JordanEG6
12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
I went to school there 2 years ago and it snowed. The city plummited into chaos. Hahaha. my neighbors mad shovels out of plywood and 2x4s. LOL.

joyridder
12-29-2008, 02:23 PM
in come the shit winds, I've got huge trees down right at my doorstep!

97'Scort
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
Still in Edmonton :) Just got back from waist deep powder in Kicking Horse.

After the 31st, the Oil and the Flames don't play until Feb 21. I say we grab a beer or coffee or whatever before then, but plan for a meet on the 21st as well.

97'Scort
12-29-2008, 10:37 PM
*double post*