PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new ride, on a budget.

ByDefault
09-28-2003, 08:41 PM
My first decent paying job since I'v started college and Im finally ready to replace my current junker that i'v had since highschool. I'v got a lot of friends telling me diffirent things so I thought i'd ask this forum (you guys seem to know what you're talkin about most of the time =P).

I'd like to get a small car (read as: civic size) around '01-'02 model that has looks as well as potential for speed. My current budget limits me at ~13k.
I live in the U.S. in Georgia, from what iv seen so far in my search, its rice all the way, pick my flavor. Im not for or against any brand really, so im open to all suggestion.

Thanks for any help.

EstoMax
09-28-2003, 09:28 PM
probably any
2000(last year of prod.) or below honda civic cx or dx hatchback
1.6L dohc 106hp 103tq 2359lbs(2388 for dx)
a 2000 dx will cost about 9000$
or a
2001 2002 or above hyundai accent gs
1.6L dohc 105hp 106tq 2280lbs
a 2001 will cost only about 6200$
or a
vw golf, but these keep their value too well, so it might be very borderline to be in budget for an 01-02. look for the late 90's gti's if you like how they look and like the vr6.

kbb values in us funds since u from us
get either of these and you will have plenty of money left over for mods.. i cant think of any other potential sports-compacts off my head right now.. hyundai has a bad name but you have plenty more money left over for mods to make people run for their money.. all have plenty aftermarket support, honda probably has more though.

max

tommy1223
09-28-2003, 10:16 PM
haah he's advertisting his accents..HAHAH

but honda's keep their values better than korean cars.

04blackMAX
09-28-2003, 10:50 PM
ive got a 2002 civic, thats modded, 19 inch wheels and so on, ive pmed you already, cheack and lemme know!!

jdmakkord
09-28-2003, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by 04blackMAX
ive got a 2002 civic, thats modded, 19 inch wheels and so on, ive pmed you already, cheack and lemme know!!

Do you plan on shipping to Georgia? haha

ByDefault
09-29-2003, 06:03 PM
Update: Dilemma.

Alright, Iv seen two really nice deals today at an auto-broker.
1) 01' Civic EX Coup
and
2) 02' Civic DX Coup

Both are in great shape and I feel pretty confident I talked him down to ~10k for either (might go lower, since neither is a 'certefied used' whatever). Far as I'v seen in blue-books online thats a steal for either one.

Biggest gripe I have with the DX, no F*cking Tack! I know i can easily stick on in the dash myself but, ugh what a lame thing to leave out of a 5-speed. So what do you guys think? Should I go with the slightly older and better equiped or slightly newer and well, you get the idea?

To those who think I should shoot at an older model, I really dont like the stock look of the 00' model and since body-kit comes last on my list of to-do upgrades (I prefer blowing my cash on engine mods, exhaust, ect first) I want the stock body to look good.

I'v never really considered a hyundai, guess i figured it was out of the question. Can it really compare to a civic?

Edit:
Oops, I forgot to mention. VW golf is IMO ugly as i duno what, hatchbacks are kinda hard to find in the 01'-03' year models so, meh.

GTS Jeff
09-29-2003, 07:25 PM
u can get a jbody, but then again, u might as well mod a civic, since u lose less money that way...

Ben
09-29-2003, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by ByDefault

I'd like to get a small car (read as: civic size) around '01-'02 model that has looks as well as potential for speed.
Thanks for any help.

And you're looking for a civic?

Unfortunatly there is not a whole lot out there in around that price/year that had a great potential for speed without spending an exhorbant amount of cake on it. You can BUY speed...but that dosn't come cheap. Seems like you've made up your mind on the civic though. Hell, its good and reliable :)

Good luck wth your endeavour :thumbsup:

3G
09-29-2003, 08:55 PM
Update: Dilemma.

Alright, Iv seen two really nice deals today at an auto-broker.
1) 01' Civic EX Coup
and
2) 02' Civic DX Coup

id try looking through your local classifieds as they will be waay cheaper then through a dealer! good luck :thumbsup:

Eric Happy Meal
09-30-2003, 03:22 PM

I'd like to get a small car (read as: civic size) around '01-'02 model that has looks as well as potential for speed. My current budget limits me at ~13k.

Thanks for any help.

with that budget you dont have much to look at. but with 13K you can get an FD3s or even an NA mk4 supra (same potential as tt ones) you can also get a GSX eclipse. but this is all of course considering you dont absolutely HAVE to have an 01 or 02.

ByDefault
09-30-2003, 07:00 PM
Im not totally set on the civic really, just those cars jumped out at me. Im trying to stay in the higher year models simply b/c i want this car to last a long time, as I doubt I'll have this kind of $ in the near future. (Im currently a Sophomore in college so 2 years before any serious income and even after im out theres no telling when i'll find decent work. Iv got the 13k on my hands right now cause I won a pretty lucrative bet on a recent trip to vegas with my friends.:D )

Availibility is a big issue for me also. Iv checked the local auto-trader, classifieds, ect. Nothing really clicking.

Im going to look into eclipse prices tonight.

3G
09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Im not totally set on the civic really, just those cars jumped out at me. Im trying to stay in the higher year models simply b/c i want this car to last a long time, as I doubt I'll have this kind of $ in the near future. (Im currently a Sophomore in college so 2 years before any serious income and even after im out theres no telling when i'll find decent work. Iv got the 13k on my hands right now cause I won a pretty lucrative bet on a recent trip to vegas with my friends.:D )

Availibility is a big issue for me also. Iv checked the local auto-trader, classifieds, ect. Nothing really clicking.

Im going to look into eclipse prices tonight.

don't spend it all on a car man...save like half of it or something..and insurance is a bitch

Eric Happy Meal
09-30-2003, 07:14 PM
well if a supras engine lasts over 30K miles with it pumping out close to 1K hp i think itl be just fine stock.

Skyline_Addict
10-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by Eric Happy Meal

with that budget you dont have much to look at. but with 13K you can get an FD3s or even an NA mk4 supra (same potential as tt ones) you can also get a GSX eclipse. but this is all of course considering you dont absolutely HAVE to have an 01 or 02.

FDs are only 13k???!??

Lorabbit
10-05-2003, 07:34 PM
really, what FD is 13k?

lammer
10-05-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict

FDs are only 13k???!??

pretty sure hes from the states.