PDA

View Full Version : Canada only food products

sdiep
12-14-2008, 08:09 PM
I'm planning on sending a small package to the United States filled with different food products that are basically Canadian products that aren't available in the United States.

I have looked on some websites, and have a basic idea of things to ship, but am still opened to suggestions as to what to send to them. Kit-kars were originally on my list, but apparently they have them in the states now too.

What would you guys send?
I'm thinking Aero chocolate bars, kinder surprise, I was going to send kit-kat bars, but apparently they now have them in the states.

And maybe some Nativa Organic products since that seems to be for sure Canadian only product line, I think....

dj_rice
12-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Send them some Tim Hortons coffee but otherwise I'm stumped also...maybe some maple syrup based candy?

If only there was a way to package poutine, they would be amazed

EK 2.0
12-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Ketchup Chips...

badatusrnames
12-14-2008, 08:17 PM
:dunno:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_cuisine#Prepared_food_.26_beverages

szw
12-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by sdiep
I'm planning on sending a small package to the United States filled with different food products that are basically Canadian products that aren't available in the United States.

I have looked on some websites, and have a basic idea of things to ship, but am still opened to suggestions as to what to send to them. Kit-kars were originally on my list, but apparently they have them in the states now too.

What would you guys send?
I'm thinking Aero chocolate bars, kinder surprise, I was going to send kit-kat bars, but apparently they now have them in the states.

And maybe some Nativa Organic products since that seems to be for sure Canadian only product line, I think.... Why were kitkats on your list and when were they not available in the States?

n1zm0
12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
^and miss vickies i heard they cant get down there.

Cheezies (with the orange see thru plastic)..

i think Kinder surprise is banned in the states too :dunno:

edit: Buckleys cough medicine!

HybridTheory
12-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Smarties! I'm pretty sure we only have these in Canada

Zero102
12-15-2008, 12:58 AM
I also heard from a friend that we only Canada gets smarties. I have never really paid close attention when I am south of the border, is this true or is it an urban legend? (Because smarties are totally important enough for their own urban legend....)

jwslam
12-15-2008, 01:01 AM
anything you send will look weird because they're used to being able to read the whole package
whereas for us half is always en francais

Dave P
12-15-2008, 01:05 AM
Cripsy Crunch i believe

Altezza
12-15-2008, 03:54 AM
Originally posted by Zero102
I also heard from a friend that we only Canada gets smarties. I have never really paid close attention when I am south of the border, is this true or is it an urban legend? (Because smarties are totally important enough for their own urban legend....)

I think they have them in Australia as well. An Australian-American friend of mine asked me to bring down a case since he wasn't able to find them in the USA.

rockanrepublic
12-15-2008, 04:05 AM
a poutine!!:devil:

core_upt
12-15-2008, 09:37 AM
Beer with alcohol in it!!

lint
12-15-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by EK 2.0
Ketchup Chips...

And dill pickle too I think. Wine gums as well

nonlinear
12-15-2008, 10:05 AM
i moved to canada from us in 2001, things i thought were cool that we didn't have in usa were:

1) aero bars
2) all-dressed and ketchup chips
3) smarties

i think those were the big ones. i mean, there are a lot of other products, but the ones listed above are like cultural phenomenona. you could add crap to the list like puritan irish stew in a can, etc., but that's not something that you're exactly proud to claim as canadian, know what I mean?

we do have kit-kats and dill pickle chips in the states. i'll let you know if i can think of anything else.

MKR89
12-15-2008, 10:08 AM
Send some tabacco over, show them how shitty ours is in Canada..

Madspinner
12-15-2008, 10:51 AM
Send them some Canadian beer.

DENZILDON
12-15-2008, 11:15 AM
Alberta Beef

Kritafo
12-15-2008, 11:17 AM
no it's true, no smarties in the USA, Smarties in the states are like rockets in Canada

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2005/10/11/smarties-differences/

Canadian only products

http://www.canadaonly.ca/

CivicDXR
12-15-2008, 11:28 AM
They have Tim's in the US...

Quoted from Tim's Website
Tim Hortons locations can presently be found in Michigan, Maine, Connecticut, Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New York, with responsible expansion continuing in these core markets.

Currently, there are more than 2,800 stores across Canada, and over 400 locations in the United States.

rockanrepublic
12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
not sure who eats these but Ganong Chicken Bones (there a candy)
ruffle chips

adam c
12-15-2008, 12:47 PM
they don't have ketchup or all dressed? 2 of theee best chip flavours?

that's whack

nonlinear
12-15-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Kritafo
no it's true, no smarties in the USA, Smarties in the states are like rockets in Canada

http://candyaddict.com/blog/2005/10/11/smarties-differences/

Canadian only products

http://www.canadaonly.ca/

OH excellent point kritafo. In the states, they have a candy called "smarties" which here are called 'rockets' because of the m&m clone 'rockets.' so it might be cool to send somje rockets and some smarties doen to them.

nonlinear
12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
not sure who eats these but Ganong Chicken Bones (there a candy)
ruffle chips

nope, they have Ruffle's in the states. yea, it's weird that they don't have ketchup or all dressed chips there. a family friend used to work at the Old Dutch factory in Minnesota, and they used to make ketchup chips there, but they were only for export to canada! isn't that crazy!?!?! she would get to take some boxes home that were fucked up, and she would give them out cause all of her friends, etc. loved them so much

it's weird that they dont have thenm in the states, considering that the product ranges for virtually everything is like 45987457875 times more diverse than in canada. i mean, the grocery stores have entire isles devoted to just frozen pizza, for christs sake.

megavolt
12-16-2008, 09:03 PM
My brother always has me send him Wunderbars.

Kritafo
12-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

nope, they have Ruffle's in the states. yea, it's weird that they don't have ketchup or all dressed chips there. a family friend used to work at the Old Dutch factory in Minnesota, and they used to make ketchup chips there, but they were only for export to canada! isn't that crazy!?!?! she would get to take some boxes home that were fucked up, and she would give them out cause all of her friends, etc. loved them so much

it's weird that they dont have thenm in the states, considering that the product ranges for virtually everything is like 45987457875 times more diverse than in canada. i mean, the grocery stores have entire isles devoted to just frozen pizza, for christs sake.

I know it's amazing that they states can't get things we have. I always thought it was weird. I miss being so close to a border town. As a kid my favourite aisle was breakfast cereal.

My mom use to put together very strange boxes of stuff together for my cousins, special kind of corn syrup, tuna, maple syrup, pharmacy items and candy items.

googe
12-17-2008, 10:31 AM
the reason there are no smarties and aero down here (and many other candies) is because cadbury is a british company that doesnt operate in the states. so, any cadbury product, you wont find in the states. but really, it isnt canadian at all.
people just assume that if a product is in canada and not the US, it must be canadian, but the rest of the world has most of this stuff. still though, most americans have never heard of smarties and it's still a good treat i guess.

canada dry ginger ale is also plentiful down here, that one is wrong. its american made/american owned.

and dont bother sending maple syrup, the shelves here are full of nothing but. its either synthetic rogers syrup, or 10 different kinds of canadian maple syrup.

edit: oh, you cant really send this, but ginger beef is unheard of. it was weird going to chinese restaurants and no one knowing what ginger beef is. i actually later read that it was popularized in calgary and is a western canada thing.

perogies are pretty rare down here, no one knows what they are, although its possible to find them in grocery stores. usually 1 brand in a small box, vs 10 brands in big bags.

the site kritafo posted though is pretty bogus. most of that stuff, especially the cereal, is also plentiful down here. i challenge you to find a store that DOESNT sell special K. jello? wtf? who doesnt remember all the american jello commercials with bill cosby etc? that's definitely not a canadian thing.

shreddies is correct though, no shreddies here.

kraft dinner is here, its just labeled as kraft macaroni and cheese. same blue box, same food, its just called kraft dinner in canada. sometimes they think the different box is funny though, especially if they've seen south park.

edit 2: butter tarts are apparently pretty canadian. dad's cookies, and products made by Dare like Wagon Wheels. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dare_Foods). i dont think they have hickory sticks here. wine gums. clamato/caesar drinks.

nanaimo bars are also unheard of here. and of course, canadian beer is pretty rare.

if the americans are sending something similar back, request snyders pretzel sandwiches (peanut butter or cheese, or chocolate covered, these are so damn good). if you like chocolate there are a few US exclusives like hershey's, 3 musketeers, 100 grand, etc.

sputnik
12-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by googe
if the americans are sending something similar back, request snyders pretzel sandwiches (peanut butter or cheese, or chocolate covered, these are so damn good). if you like chocolate there are a few US exclusives like hershey's, 3 musketeers, 100 grand, etc.

You can get 3 Musketeers in Canada.

nonlinear
12-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by googe
the reason there are no smarties and aero down here (and many other candies) is because cadbury is a british company that doesnt operate in the states. so, any cadbury product, you wont find in the states. but really, it isnt canadian at all.
people just assume that if a product is in canada and not the US, it must be canadian, but the rest of the world has most of this stuff. still though, most americans have never heard of smarties and it's still a good treat i guess.

perogies are pretty rare down here, no one knows what they are, although its possible to find them in grocery stores. usually 1 brand in a small box, vs 10 brands in big bags.

no, you can DEFINITELY get Cadbury products in the states. when we were kids, one of the candies heavily marketed around easter were "Cadbury Creme Eggs." They also have most of the other cadbury products there, like certs, dentyne gum, blah blah. but not aero (is that even a cadbury product?). they have a US site www.cadburyadams.com but it keeps bringing me to the international site, and i can't get to the US site without selecting a product (and there are like a hundred in the list). also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadbury_Adams

googe is right about pirogies, though. i grew up in minneapolis, and despite having a large polish/eastern European population in the midwest, I had never even heard of them until moving here. Now that I know what they are, I do see them in grocery stores there, but they definitely don't hold the cultural status that they do here.

em2ab
12-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I know when I lived there I couldn't find Muslix nor Sugar Crisp. They have Sugar Crisp but the box says Honey Crisp or something, I guess there's some sort of problem with obesity and sugar in the states? :dunno:

nonlinear
12-17-2008, 11:58 AM
sugar crisp is called golden crisp, and shreddies are called chex

they have a lot of products that are the same, only with a different name (like kraft dinner = kraft macaroni and cheese)

they do have mueslix

the weird thing is though, is that most of the products are actually american, so the real question is why was it renamed for the canadian market???

lelalong
12-17-2008, 06:08 PM
The Kit Kats in the States don't taste the same. The chocolate is a lot sweeter which I didn't like. Coffee crisp is supposedly Canadian only.

What about Clamato? People always wonder about why one would combine clam juice with tomato juice.

How about a big pail of salt beef from Sobeys?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuisine_of_Canada

nonlinear
12-17-2008, 06:11 PM
yea, they don't have coffee crisp, but they do have clamato. actually, most people use that when making bloody marys.

sneek
12-17-2008, 06:18 PM
bottles of Canadian.

I always thought the "American beer is like water" was a joke, until I had some Bud. I don't get how people can enjoy drinking it so much!